Jump to content

Did you know anyone with your booking number can cancel your cruise


Rita Yates
 Share

Recommended Posts

First and foremost, I want to express how embarrassed I am to be 60 years old and have to make a complaint about a former friend.  I have had nothing but issues from this woman since I decided I had enough of her narcissistic ways.  She has stalked me, sent horrible emails to my family and friends and all my “support groups” have told me not to respond to her – now she is pretending to be me, so I must draw the line here!  I am not in fear of my life, but I am in fear of what she can do behind a keyboard – I know she is computer savvy and at this point I don’t put anything past her.  She is dangerous and toxic, and someone needs to confront her so she will not get away with this game that she plays!

The incident in this report is as follows:

On November 16, 2021, I contacted Royal Caribbean Cruise lines to inquire about the balance on my upcoming cruise scheduled for May 14, 2022.  When I was unable to locate my booked cruise on the RCCL website I contacted their customer service department.  The customer service department informed me that I called and cancelled my cruise on Tuesday, October 26, 2021 – they did not give me the time of the call. 

I informed RCCL that I did not cancel this cruise – since it was my 40th anniversary cruise and we have other couples coming with us to celebrate.  I know for a fact my estranged neighbor – who was originally invited to help us celebrate – had access to my booking number since she was originally linked to our reservation. 

When RCCL played back their recorded messages their resolutions department said the voice on the recording sounded too much like me to make a reversal of their decision of not to refund my deposit of $500.  I was speechless.  I asked if they had the phone number of where this call originated from, and they would not reveal this information to me.  The RCCL representative said the reason” I” cancelled this cruise was because my granddaughter was coming to visit – I don’t have a granddaughter !

I filed a police report for identity fraud/impersonation and all I am asking of RCCL is to cooperate with the police to stop this woman.  Per the RCCL Resolutions department – I sent a certified letter with a copy of the police report and all my booking documents.  I need help!! I am out my anniversary cruise – since Royal will not honor my original booking price and the cruise has doubled in price – my real friends will have to cancel since I won’t be on the ship. The detective has called Royal’s corporate office many times and after putting him on hold for hours – he has been unable to speak with someone to help or resolve this issue.  Meanwhile I am out my deposit and my anniversary cruise.  The way their customer service has been handling this is horrible.  I am a diamond member and a stockholder and that has been worthless!  Just a note -- Did you know that with Royal anyone can cancel your cruise if they have your booking number – so beware!!  Sure hope I can get RCCL to cooperate and get my money back and get this woman the help she needs. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rita Yates said:

First and foremost, I want to express how embarrassed I am to be 60 years old and have to make a complaint about a former friend.  I have had nothing but issues from this woman since I decided I had enough of her narcissistic ways.  She has stalked me, sent horrible emails to my family and friends and all my “support groups” have told me not to respond to her – now she is pretending to be me, so I must draw the line here!  I am not in fear of my life, but I am in fear of what she can do behind a keyboard – I know she is computer savvy and at this point I don’t put anything past her.  She is dangerous and toxic, and someone needs to confront her so she will not get away with this game that she plays!

The incident in this report is as follows:

On November 16, 2021, I contacted Royal Caribbean Cruise lines to inquire about the balance on my upcoming cruise scheduled for May 14, 2022.  When I was unable to locate my booked cruise on the RCCL website I contacted their customer service department.  The customer service department informed me that I called and cancelled my cruise on Tuesday, October 26, 2021 – they did not give me the time of the call. 

I informed RCCL that I did not cancel this cruise – since it was my 40th anniversary cruise and we have other couples coming with us to celebrate.  I know for a fact my estranged neighbor – who was originally invited to help us celebrate – had access to my booking number since she was originally linked to our reservation. 

When RCCL played back their recorded messages their resolutions department said the voice on the recording sounded too much like me to make a reversal of their decision of not to refund my deposit of $500.  I was speechless.  I asked if they had the phone number of where this call originated from, and they would not reveal this information to me.  The RCCL representative said the reason” I” cancelled this cruise was because my granddaughter was coming to visit – I don’t have a granddaughter !

I filed a police report for identity fraud/impersonation and all I am asking of RCCL is to cooperate with the police to stop this woman.  Per the RCCL Resolutions department – I sent a certified letter with a copy of the police report and all my booking documents.  I need help!! I am out my anniversary cruise – since Royal will not honor my original booking price and the cruise has doubled in price – my real friends will have to cancel since I won’t be on the ship. The detective has called Royal’s corporate office many times and after putting him on hold for hours – he has been unable to speak with someone to help or resolve this issue.  Meanwhile I am out my deposit and my anniversary cruise.  The way their customer service has been handling this is horrible.  I am a diamond member and a stockholder and that has been worthless!  Just a note -- Did you know that with Royal anyone can cancel your cruise if they have your booking number – so beware!!  Sure hope I can get RCCL to cooperate and get my money back and get this woman the help she needs. 

 

I am truly sorry you have had such a bad experience.  We use travel agents to help us resolve issues that may arise, but we have never tried traveling with a friend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Ray said:

Lol have you noticed also the amount of people joining site same day just to post a complaint about RC and they never return? 

I was skeptical from the start since the whole thing is a rant against a neighbor. Then I was totally lost when there was some expectation that the police should help get her booking back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Lol have you noticed also the amount of people joining site same day just to post a complaint about RC and they never return? 

I think a lot of people believe this blog is connected officially with Royal Caribbean.  

She brings up a good point about giving out your booking number on unofficial group cruises but I think the better point would be to pick your friends wisely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wordell1 said:

 

She brings up a good point about giving out your booking number on unofficial group cruises

My question would be where did the FCC go? 

I mean its book with Confidence so even if cancelled cruise credit is issued! 

However theres no doubt these past few weeks there has been numerous people joining then posting complaints straight away never to be seen again, at first i thought it was Matt boosting membership numbers before selling forum for millions of dollars ( joke ) but now i think its just someone either trying to badmouth RC or who gets a kick from posting things then sits back and watchs the replies 

Also how come all of these recent complainants switch off profile view thing? Even those who are not tech savy manage it!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just linked reservations ( I did it) for our past Thanksgiving sailing. There are numerous warning boxes that pop up asking are you sure as the linking allows access to all that are linked. I knew going in before I hit the button to link that we could all "manipulate" the reservations. Royal made it abundantly clear as they do with almost every protocol they have been releasing lately, the fine art of reading seems to be a thing of the past.....

@Rita Yates This is unfortunate that a trusted friend did this to you but I would take all of your support documents and take your friend to small claims as you would need to be reimbursed by her, to be fair Royal has nothing to do with these actions on her part. Good Luck to you! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NewCruisingChuck said:

I'm new here.  I'm hoping to learn a lot and hopefully complain very seldom.   I want to learn how to Ace this cruise thing!

Welcome!  There are no dumb questions - only dumb complaints!  

In all seriousness, you have done yourself a favor by joining the site.  There is a lot of great info here that will help you have a great cruise - and avoid issues.  If you have questions, there are some VERY experienced cruisers to help you out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Well it appears this was yet another drive by with someone clearly not looking for help.

I hate to jump to conclusions.  The point that anyone with your booking number can cancel your cruise is valid and should be taken to heart by everyone.  Knowing your travel agent will help since any cancellation would have to go through the travel agent.  I'm sure mine would contact me before cancelling.

That said, it isn't a new phenomenon.  It's been this way since the beginning.  It also isn't unique to cruising.  The same thing can happen with a flight reservation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, steverk said:

I hate to jump to conclusions.  The point that anyone with your booking number can cancel your cruise is valid and should be taken to heart by everyone.  Knowing your travel agent will help since any cancellation would have to go through the travel agent.  I'm sure mine would contact me before cancelling.

That said, it isn't a new phenomenon.  It's been this way since the beginning.  It also isn't unique to cruising.  The same thing can happen with a flight reservation.

This is all true, but someone who one has had "nothing but issues with" who yet not long ago was a close enough friend to invite on a cruise, tells me this may not have happened as written.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And we now know the original poster is called Rita Yates, not a good way to stop a stalker 😁

To be fair even if somebody knew your booking number they would not be able to cancel you cruise without other information like your name, sail date, ship etc which very is unlikely unless you provided to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/4/2021 at 8:19 AM, Ray said:

Lol have you noticed also the amount of people joining site same day just to post a complaint about RC and they never return? 

I am here -- needed to vent because it is so frustrating that Royal will not cooperate with the police to at least get my deposit back - 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I was skeptical from the start since the whole thing is a rant against a neighbor. Then I was totally lost when there was some expectation that the police should help get her booking back. 

It's not about getting my booking back - it is too late for that - I am just frustrated that Royal has no security in place - ie pin number, etc. - never would I have ever thought someone would step so low but right now I just need Royal to cooperate with the police - this is a matter of impersonation and fraud

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Ray said:

My question would be where did the FCC go? 

I mean its book with Confidence so even if cancelled cruise credit is issued! 

However theres no doubt these past few weeks there has been numerous people joining then posting complaints straight away never to be seen again, at first i thought it was Matt boosting membership numbers before selling forum for millions of dollars ( joke ) but now i think its just someone either trying to badmouth RC or who gets a kick from posting things then sits back and watchs the replies 

Also how come all of these recent complainants switch off profile view thing? Even those who are not tech savy manage it!  

I am not bad mouthing Royal - I am a diamond member and have 4 additional cruises booked - just want to press charges against this former friend for impersonation and Royal hasn't been cooperating - despite them requesting I send a registered letter with copy of police report, etc - which I did - it is just frustrating and wanted to make people aware to guard your booking number - hope no one goes through what I have gone through and believe me I will be more careful with friends - this person was a "friend" for over 13 years and I guess she has snapped!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Neesa said:

We just linked reservations ( I did it) for our past Thanksgiving sailing. There are numerous warning boxes that pop up asking are you sure as the linking allows access to all that are linked. I knew going in before I hit the button to link that we could all "manipulate" the reservations. Royal made it abundantly clear as they do with almost every protocol they have been releasing lately, the fine art of reading seems to be a thing of the past.....

@Rita Yates This is unfortunate that a trusted friend did this to you but I would take all of your support documents and take your friend to small claims as you would need to be reimbursed by her, to be fair Royal has nothing to do with these actions on her part. Good Luck to you! 

you're missing the point -- I need royal to release the voice recordings - I am not going after royal I am just mad that they won't provide the evidence I need to take this case to the courts -- and since I wasn't the one linking my reservation - I was unaware of all the warnings - this cruise was a surprise from my husband who had never booked before - lesson learned !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Rita Yates said:

I am here -- needed to vent because it is so frustrating that Royal will not cooperate with the police to at least get my deposit back - 

Under cruise with Confidence your deposit for cancelled cruise would have been issued in FCC 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Rita Yates said:

I am not bad mouthing Royal - I am a diamond member and have 4 additional cruises booked - just want to press charges against this former friend for impersonation and Royal hasn't been cooperating - despite them requesting I send a registered letter with copy of police report, etc - which I did - it is just frustrating and wanted to make people aware to guard your booking number - hope no one goes through what I have gone through and believe me I will be more careful with friends - this person was a "friend" for over 13 years and I guess she has snapped!

Not sure what you being a Diamond member has to do with situation? Do you think if this happened to someone who is only gold level at same time as you then with you being diamond you should be dealt with 1st? 

Any company not just RC has to follow protocal.. Your complaint is that they (RC) allowed someone with your details to cancel booking yet you are expecting them to refund to you when you could be anyone on the phone ( think about it ) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Ray said:

Then you need a lawyer 

I know - but I need the voice recorded message to be released from Royal before the lawyer can move forward - that is what is so frustrating - Royal is not cooperating - despite me doing everything they told me to do to obtain the voice recording

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rita, I  know it probably doesn't seem like it, but all of us wish you the best both with royal and your neighbor. Unfortunately,  there isn't much we can say or do.

As we mentioned earlier,  you should have a future cruise credit for any money you put in to the cruise.  It's not what you want,  but it is something. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with the OP. As a diamond member, they have given RCI thousands upon thousands of dollars over the years. Clearly, someone trying to scam RCI for their deposit back would not be trying to re-book the same cruise...it is clear that she is being honest and just wants to enjoy her 40th Anni cruise at the original rate, since it was canceled due to illegal fraud / impersonation. I have dealt with many narcissists over the years. The decision to finally go no-contact takes years for most victims of narcissistic abuse. They can be incredibly manipulative, charming, and deceiving when trying to "apologize" for former bad behavior so they can be allowed back in. I feel very sorry for the OP. This cruise industry *could* help her, yet they are choosing not to. Airlines and hotels make exceptions all the time for genuinely extenuating circumstances. She clearly has proof this is an extenuating circumstance with the police records and voice calls stating she canceled due to a granddaughter that she does not have. They could make an exception but are making it clear they care only about the bottom line and not human beings who fund them. A pity indeed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also brings up the point of a deeply flawed security system, which is embarrassing for a multi billion dollar company. Even on United flights, I have to answer security questions about my favorite music or whatever and give a secret password answer to manipulate any flights. Makes total sense to have this very common extra security step in place when people are spending thousands on a reservation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Identity fraud is a serious issue. I have dealt with it myself.  
I think an important lesson to learn here is to know who you're dealing with and staying on top of things. I'm surprised an email communication of the cruise cancellation was not sent to you immediately after cancellation, so you could have handled it then and there, and not weeks later. Always check your reservation because even without someone cancelling your reservation, some other weird IT issues could have happened. I look at my RC account every day practically to check it and the cruise planner. 

Not only contacting the police to report the fraud, but other consumer agencies and the FTC, so you have documentation.  I would have fought a little harder too with RC if this happened to me, either rebooking or getting my deposit back. I don't think legally RC can give you those voice recordings unless it is court ordered, but if you know and have other proof of who did this to you, I'd file a small claims suit against them to get your money back. 

Agreeing with the others, cruise with confidence policy should help you get your money back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rita Yates said:

I know - but I need the voice recorded message to be released from Royal before the lawyer can move forward - that is what is so frustrating - Royal is not cooperating - despite me doing everything they told me to do to obtain the voice recording

Honestly, I think the only way Royal releases a voice recording is after you file a lawsuit against your "friend".  During the evidence gathering phase, your lawyer or the court would request the recording from Royal.  Outside a lawsuit, I don't see why they would release this to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think at this point, if it was me, I would keep fighting with Royal, find that FCC and book the cruise at the higher price (with a travel agent).

Here's why - 

I don't disagree this person needs to finally have someone stand up to them, but I see this as a tough case to win (disclaimer not a lawyer or even close just my gut). Even if they do convict your friend of fraud will the judge award you something you really didn't lose (besides the deposit, which there may be a FCC coming)? Also, if no FCC you can just file a complaint with your credit card. Is there a tangible value in this situation? You lost a price lock but not the actual money. You mentioned lawyer. Do you have one? What do they say about possible outcomes? Would lawyer fees be covered in a perfect win situation? Does this person have the means to actually pay the restitution? What about your mental health (IE: Stress) during the case?

For me, it might just end up being another life lesson added to my spreadsheet.

A side note. If this person is willing to mess with your vacation they are willing to do more. If you don't already, get some identity protection and maybe a password manager (and make each password strong and unique for everything, including this site). I don't have or use the product but hear great things about Norton 360 + LifeLock, it's a nice all in one package.

Good luck, I am sorry your "friend" is a shitty person.

Little life lesson from "A Bronx Tale" that may apply here. 

Quote

Calogero 'C' Anello: He owes me 20 dollars. It's been two weeks now, and every time he sees me he keeps dodging me. He's becoming a real pain in the ass. Should I crack him one, or what?

Sonny: Sometimes hurting somebody ain't the answer. First of all, is he a good friend of yours?

Calogero 'C' Anello: No, I don't even like him.

Sonny: You don't even like him. There's your answer right there. Look at it this way: It costs you 20 dollars to get rid of him... He's out of your life for 20 dollars. You got off cheap. Forget him.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, D Alt said:

I'm surprised an email communication of the cruise cancellation was not sent to you immediately after cancellation, so you could have handled it then and there, and not weeks later.

Me too. Recently received a flight cancellation from United via email. I checked the app, yep flight gone. I called, given some nonsense excuse about "glitch" and in a minute my reservation was back in the app. The seat wasn't assigned but that took a few clicks. Something that could have been a big deal wasn't because I was alerted and handled it immediately. +1 for technology and walking around with instant access to email LOL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rita Yates said:

It's not about getting my booking back - it is too late for that - I am just frustrated that Royal has no security in place - ie pin number, etc. - never would I have ever thought someone would step so low but right now I just need Royal to cooperate with the police - this is a matter of impersonation and fraud

They do have security in place, it is called your "booking number", you gave that secure information away, what do you want Royal to do now??

The only way Royal can be compelled to assist in the way you are asking, is under a court order, should you decide to pursue a lawsuit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the perspective of me being a fellow RC Blog "friend", if it were me, I'd take the FCC and move on.

Wasting time, emotional energy and $$$ on something like this is a fools errand...all you've experienced is a bit of inconvenience...nobody died or suffered permanent injury.

All this will do is keep you in a state of perpetual anger and prevent you from enjoying your life while the legal process grinds away for a year or two...just ain't worth it in my humble opinion.

Good luck and Godspeed to you, Rita. 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, cast530 said:

I agree with the OP. As a diamond member, they have given RCI thousands upon thousands of dollars over the years. Clearly, someone trying to scam RCI for their deposit back would not be trying to re-book the same cruise...it is clear that she is being honest and just wants to enjoy her 40th Anni cruise at the original rate, since it was canceled due to illegal fraud / impersonation. I have dealt with many narcissists over the years. The decision to finally go no-contact takes years for most victims of narcissistic abuse. They can be incredibly manipulative, charming, and deceiving when trying to "apologize" for former bad behavior so they can be allowed back in. I feel very sorry for the OP. This cruise industry *could* help her, yet they are choosing not to. Airlines and hotels make exceptions all the time for genuinely extenuating circumstances. She clearly has proof this is an extenuating circumstance with the police records and voice calls stating she canceled due to a granddaughter that she does not have. They could make an exception but are making it clear they care only about the bottom line and not human beings who fund them. A pity indeed. 

While this entire story is certainly unique in many ways, it does highlight a benefit of using a good travel agent instead of dealing directly with Royal's call center. No doubt a good agency would have better success working out a quick financial fix with Royal on the cancellation of the original cruise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JimnKathy said:

While this entire story is certainly unique in many ways, it does highlight a benefit of using a good travel agent instead of dealing directly with Royal's call center. No doubt a good agency would have better success working out a quick financial fix with Royal on the cancellation of the original cruise. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond - this 40th anniversary cruise was the first "surprise" my husband has ever planned for me in our 40+ years together - you can rest assured from now on I will be using a travel agent - I hope no one else has to deal with what I am going through - it is horrible - all I want is to make the "woman" accountable and I cannot do it with the help of RCCL - they gave me their protocol for obtaining the voice recordings and I followed their instructions including sending out the documents in a  $25 certified mail /signature required envelope - just hope that just maybe someone will read my correspondence and help me obtain what I need to get RCCL to help me stop this toxic person and make sure she doesn't get away with this!!  Happy Holidays !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, JimnKathy said:

From the perspective of me being a fellow RC Blog "friend", if it were me, I'd take the FCC and move on.

Wasting time, emotional energy and $$$ on something like this is a fools errand...all you've experienced is a bit of inconvenience...nobody died or suffered permanent injury.

All this will do is keep you in a state of perpetual anger and prevent you from enjoying your life while the legal process grinds away for a year or two...just ain't worth it in my humble opinion.

Good luck and Godspeed to you, Rita. 🙂 

Thanks so much for responding - in my 15 years of dealing with this toxic narcissist I have "turned the other cheek" so many times.  The RCCL incident is just the tip of the iceberg.  Like you mentioned, I decided to move on and just ignore her - but that is when she wasn't used to being ignored and she turned to ways to hurt me (emails/texts to my friends and family) -  I could tell you stories - she just needs to be accountable - no one every stands up to her and she is always the "victim".  The Royal incident was the final straw because it did involve a surprise that my husband planned.  It is really not about the money- it is making this woman accountable - I now fear if she could convince Royal she is me - who is next - my bank!  I appreciate your well wishes - 🙂  rita

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

They do have security in place, it is called your "booking number", you gave that secure information away, what do you want Royal to do now??

The only way Royal can be compelled to assist in the way you are asking, is under a court order, should you decide to pursue a lawsuit.

I have a "criminal order" obtained by the police department - this is needed prior to determining if I have a criminal case to take to a lawyer.  Without the voice recordings it is her word against mine - just wanted to warn everyone about how important the booking number is - I for one did not realize this and I have learned my lesson - just hope I can make this woman accountable and move on to cruising and celebrating my anniversary!  

 

18 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Me too. Recently received a flight cancellation from United via email. I checked the app, yep flight gone. I called, given some nonsense excuse about "glitch" and in a minute my reservation was back in the app. The seat wasn't assigned but that took a few clicks. Something that could have been a big deal wasn't because I was alerted and handled it immediately. +1 for technology and walking around with instant access to email LOL.

Funny thing is - I never received any email confirmation on this cancelation - that was the first thing I asked RCCL - it wasn't until I called and inquired about my so called cancelation that I was sent an email cancelation - makes the situation even more frustrating!  I need to hear what "I said" on the voice recordings - 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...