Wiegand Lawsuit Dismissed

Unfortunately, as with all things involving these kinds of suits and our legal system, it ain't over yet.

Winkelman told the Daily Mail that the Wiegand family planned to appeal the court's decision.

"The family is surprised and deeply saddened by the court's ruling. This is a matter that should be decided by a jury, and we are confident and hopeful the appellate court will agree," Winkleman said.

"We will be filing the appeal shortly and we will continue to fight and raise awareness about the dangers of unintentional toddler window falls," he added. "This case was always about Chloe and shining a light on her brief but beautiful life."

I'm also not thrilled with this particular line in the article (emphasis added):

Wiegand was in the care of her grandfather when she fell to her death through an open window in a children’s play area on a cruise ship docked in San Juan, Puerto Rico, in July 2019.

For frick's sake, Today, that area is not a children's play area!! That's just the spin the ambulance-chasing scumbag lawyer has used. The Solarium is no more a children's play area than the Schooner Bar or Boleros is. Do just two minutes of homework so you can give a truthful statement. ?

Such a sad incident. What is even sadder is the grandfather pleaded guilty to homicide and was charged for it. That being said the spotlight needs to be on the grandfather and his actions and not the cruise line that he was on when he acted out those actions. It’s sad that they are trying to place blame on the cruise line. Good job to the court system. I pray for peace and comfort for that family. 

The judge was correct in tossing the case.  Anyone who saw the video, and I assume the judge did, could observe that he leaned his upper body out the window looking at something.  Then picked that sweet baby up and held her out the window so she could see, and he tragically lost his grip on her.  That video is proof that he knew the window was open.  It was an accident caused by his poor choices and one he will have to live with for the rest of his life.    My heart goes out to this family.

But pursuing legal action against RCI for his reckless actions, and trying to cast blame for a window open on a pool deck, one that is not a danger to children?  That is, at best, an attempt to avoid accepting the horrendous truth of what happened, and at worst, greed. 

I heard about this at the time but didn't know the extra details  I see here now. Just cringe inducing all around. Grandpa just lost his grip on her and his mind made a milli second mistake. I can see the hockey game memory might have been stuck in his brain.  His sentence was more just administrative, I expect no judge would want to pile on to the life sentence he has now.  But ....billion $ corporation?, lawyers working on a contingency fee basis?... they  will probably invest more to get a settlement offer. Usually at the point where RC's insurers have had enough of the costs to them they will make this go away. I don't think I'd want to live much more if I was grandpa.