Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Finally optimistic, anyone else?


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, joshgates said:

Yup, I started booking some shorter ones on Navigator and Mariner for later this summer and fall.  Those studio interiors on Mariner are just dirt cheap right now, hard to pass up even with the cost of a flight.  More optimistic than I’ve been in a year.

Josh.. We booked Mariner for an 8 nighter on August 13 2022

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Definitely.  Back up to 20+ cruises booked. 

Royal did a survey among crew at home 2 weeks ago and found ~4,000 already have been vaccinated.  Voyager class normally has ~1,200 crew so depending on the breakdown of who is vaccinated they could i

I absolutely agree with you.  I think I get just as much pleasure out of planning....and then the cruise comes and it goes by SOOOO fast.

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

I am cautiously optimistic about late Q3 early Q4 (September / October). If things get moving soon it's possible. We know another round of cancellations are coming with Carnival and NCL announcements. I am not optimistic about my September cruise on Oasis.

We have a November cruise booked for Oasis -  fingers crossed the world is healthy by then.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Well if people do not want to be apart of a responsible society they can sit home without their masks. If they don't want the vaccine they can sit home and not cruise or vacation. That's the simply answer to those people. 

 

2 hours ago, Ray said:

I agree but didnt mention it due to the fact any time requiring vaccines, wearing masks or social distancing are mentioned it starts the old " im not getting a vaccine or wearing a mask" debate or my other favourite " i may as well stay at home if i have to do that" 

As i said previously what will be will be and we either follow the rules and get on with things best we can or we stay at home 

RCL will require vaccines for all employees.  The captains are almost always from Europe so they have access to the vaccine.  For the rest of the staff, RCL may have to purchase their own supply for the balance of the employees, if there is any real chance of cruising any time in the near future. For example the Philippines is supposed to receive there FIRST shipment of vaccine on Monday 3/1.  Saga cruises (50y/o +) will requires everyone to be vaccinated 14-days prior to sailing, although most of the vaccine companies seem to represent that the vaccines are fully effective 28 days after last dose.  The way I look at it, if my next ship is not staffed 14-28 days prior to embarkation - its probably going to be canceled. Many experienced staff may not come back which may delay a full restart. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I see it differently.  Ever since they announced that FCC were stackable, I've been booking as I please.  We have tons of small deposits as place holders (which I was worried about before) and if those sailings don't sail, I can just dump it all in the ones that finally sail.  At the moment, I have 5 sailings left in 2021, I've booked into 2022 with 4 now, and about to book another in March 2023 as soon as they release those itineraries. 

For me personally, waiting serves zero purpose.  The cabins that I like will be gone and the price (which already high to start) may or may not jump even higher.  I am realistic in the fact that I live in Canada and our vaccine rollout is not as efficient as the US right now.  I am also realistic about our border situation.  But my strategy at this point is to not be too invested in any of my upcoming sailings, cancel them (or let Royal cancel) as they come up, and hop on the first one possible in the ones that I have booked.  That and book refundable land vacations here in Canada for the summer as a Plan B. 😉

That is such a great change that Royal made so makes sense.  The main problem I see for us, is that they will expire before we can use them (we even have one from before covid to use but it expires end of Dec 2021).  But I guess if you apply them and then cancel, the timer starts again for 1 year out from when you cancel so sounds like a good plan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

That is such a great change that Royal made so makes sense.  The main problem I see for us, is that they will expire before we can use them (we even have one from before covid to use but it expires end of Dec 2021).  But I guess if you apply them and then cancel, the timer starts again for 1 year out from when you cancel so sounds like a good plan.

Are you factoring in the extension to the FCCs (until September 2022)?  If they don’t start sailing soon, they might even push that back more. 
But yes, you can always cancel and then you have one year out even if they don’t extend them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am optimistic enough to start looking at booking something for later in the year, I have vacation the last week of September until the second week of October and am thinking about taking a 7 day cruise either one of those weeks.  The more I think about doing it, the more I find myself daydreaming about the first day onboard, the sights, smells, and sounds of being onboard a ship again!  I know I may be setting myself up for a letdown but I do not believe so! Things should be up and rolling by that time and yes my fingers, toes, and arms are crossed!!!😂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, esmoov said:

 

RCL will require vaccines for all employees.  The captains are almost always from Europe so they have access to the vaccine.  For the rest of the staff, RCL may have to purchase their own supply for the balance of the employees, if there is any real chance of cruising any time in the near future. For example the Philippines is supposed to receive there FIRST shipment of vaccine on Monday 3/1.  Saga cruises (50y/o +) will requires everyone to be vaccinated 14-days prior to sailing, although most of the vaccine companies seem to represent that the vaccines are fully effective 28 days after last dose.  The way I look at it, if my next ship is not staffed 14-28 days prior to embarkation - its probably going to be canceled. Many experienced staff may not come back which may delay a full restart. 

Would RC or any other private company be allowed to purchase vaccine before it is issued to those in need and at risk? 

I know a company in the UK tried it and got rejected, actually they got slaughtered in the press for even thinking it.

With regards PH most crew are young and healthy so they wont be top of the list for vaccine, and crews not just for RC come from many countries and every cruiseline will be in the same boat so to speak, Also there are over 7000 islands making up the Philippines so getting what vaccine they receive out to these places will take time. And lets not forget that in many so called 3rd world countries bribery and corruption is commonplace at the highest level so whos to say vaccines won't be sold on the black market? 

Getting crew to ship once they finally receive their vaccine will be another issue,  having to deal with whether countries are open what their quarantine regulations are etc

Then you have all the ports of call, where will cruiselines be able to sail to thats actually open to visitors

As mentioned in my 1st post there are so many issues still to be resolved , what will be will be, just got to take each day as it comes because constantly talking, studying or worrying about covid is depressing and in all honesty the constant talk of it probably causes more issues in relation to peoples health and wellbeing than covid would. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Royal did a survey among crew at home 2 weeks ago and found ~4,000 already have been vaccinated.  Voyager class normally has ~1,200 crew so depending on the breakdown of who is vaccinated they could in theory go a long way towards staffing two Voyager class ships.  That 4k number has probably already grown a bit and will continue to grow week by week.  Is every role on board covered?  Probably not.  But then again they aren't sailing tomorrow so it's not hard to envision them putting a plan together. 

Maybe they ask some management or senior lead positions to fulfil the role of a bartender temporarily for example, a job maybe they had 8 years ago.  Michael Byley was a purser once.  They probably won't put him back onboard but there are others like him that could dust off their old crew uniforms and get back on a ship in the name of returning to service until they can vaccinate every role on board.

Royal has a long history of their employees going beyond the call of duty, volunteering on land after disasters, helping the community in times of need, etc.  It's not hard to imagine long time employees eager to do whatever is needed to get a ship sailing if they are vaccinated. 

At some point a company from Liberia may be able to buy the vaccine on the open market.  They may already have their order submitted waiting for fulfillment.  Absent of the US invoking the defence production act on US based vaccine facilities I imagine there are private companies that can acquire vaccine as that is a transaction between private parties.  Royal getting their hands on a thousand doses within a month isn't a stretch to conceive.  They aren't crewing the entire fleet in 30 days.  They may only need a few hundred doses to fill the roles that aren't already possible with crew already vaccinated to get two ships sailing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Optimistic for 2022 sailings. Maybe Q3/Q4 of this year. Not sure what will happen with this year's Europe season, especially given the way our useless govt in the UK are acting.

If int'l travel is allowed later in the summer, I'll keep my eye out for cheap deals on any ship. At the moment, I have my eye on Voyager in 2022 as I want to do some travelling in Scandinavia and the prices look pretty good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

I have my eye on Voyager in 2022 as I want to do some travelling in Scandinavia and the prices look pretty good.

We recently booked the Voyager TA from Copenhagen to Boston (Iceland, Greenland). Yesterday we booked Jewel R/T from Amsterdam going to England, Scotland and Ireland. We will spend 4 days in Northern Europe getting from Amsterdam to Copenhagen and turn those into disjointed S2S.  We will stay on for the first Voyager Canada/NE in Boston.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We recently booked the Voyager TA from Copenhagen to Boston (Iceland, Greenland). Yesterday we booked Jewel R/T from Amsterdam going to England, Scotland and Ireland. We will spend 4 days in Northern Europe getting from Amsterdam to Copenhagen and turn those into disjointed S2S.  We will stay on for the first Voyager Canada/NE in Boston.  

Sounds like an awesome trip! Northern Europe really is one of the best ones to do, land or cruise. The Jewel itinerary goes to both Glasgow & Edinburgh, great cities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We recently booked the Voyager TA from Copenhagen to Boston (Iceland, Greenland). Yesterday we booked Jewel R/T from Amsterdam going to England, Scotland and Ireland. We will spend 4 days in Northern Europe getting from Amsterdam to Copenhagen and turn those into disjointed S2S.  We will stay on for the first Voyager Canada/NE in Boston.  

I wish I could fly because I would love to visit these ports, Iceland and Greenland and Scotland and Ireland. I have such a phobia of flying unfortunately though. 😩 Sounds like some awesome, I mean awesome trips. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Sounds like an awesome trip! Northern Europe really is one of the best ones to do, land or cruise. The Jewel itinerary goes to both Glasgow & Edinburgh, great cities.

Thanks, Joe. Really looking forward to visiting your country.  It’s been on our “list” for many, many years. I’ve been to London but never to Scotland or Ireland. I really cannot wait for this one !

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Are you factoring in the extension to the FCCs (until September 2022)?  If they don’t start sailing soon, they might even push that back more. 
But yes, you can always cancel and then you have one year out even if they don’t extend them.

Yes, the CWC are Sept 2022, but the one that we had before due to Dorian has expiry of Dec 2021 (already extended from Aug 2020).

True, it all depends on when they start up.  Am really happy that we can now stack them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Optimistic for 2022 sailings. Maybe Q3/Q4 of this year. Not sure what will happen with this year's Europe season, especially given the way our useless govt in the UK are acting.

If int'l travel is allowed later in the summer, I'll keep my eye out for cheap deals on any ship. At the moment, I have my eye on Voyager in 2022 as I want to do some travelling in Scandinavia and the prices look pretty good.

I'm optimistic for 2022.  In 2020 I almost booked a 2021 European cruise I'm glad I didn't because it doesn't look like Europe will be open to American tourist until late Q3 or Q4 and of course there would still be restrictions.  However in 2020 I did book a 2022, 9 night Greek Isle cruise sailing out of Rome.  Neither my husband or I have ever been to Greece so here is our chance to get a taste and I'm sure we will come back for a land vacation. But I'm optimistic the 2022 European cruise season will be awesome I'm also waiting to see RC plans for getting Wonder of the Seas to China.  Because I already had 4 cruises booked I couldn't do Spectrum of the Seas in 2019 and she had some great ports of call on her way over to China.  I've told my husband we are going to try and hold out on booking any more cruises in 2022 until we see how Wonder of the Seas get to China.

We do have 2 cruises booked this year one in late October and another in November I'm hopeful cruising will have resumed in this country by then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2021 at 11:27 AM, RickinSTL said:

Josh.. We booked Mariner for an 8 nighter on August 13 2022

Just emailed my TA too, I really like this itinerary too.  You guys are bad for my wallet.

I've been looking at another cruise, one for just my husband and I, these would be new ports for us.

This would be the first vacation without our daughter (she's 22), it's time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...