Warning - Royal Changing Ships Without Notice

2 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

So even if you have a refundable deposit they won't honor it? 

Oh no..refundable deposit stays a refund.  But you definitely only can get the nonrefundable deposit as a FCC..at least under CWC it's still the full deposit amount without the change fee.

1 hour ago, Dad2Cue said:

So, over the next few weeks, your stateroom category name for your sailing will show as a guarantee. Once we've completed our work behind-the-scenes, your stateroom category name will be different than what you originally booked. However, please know, your stateroom location, dimensions, and number will all remain the same. The only change will be the name of your stateroom category name.

This is almost the exact verbiage we got about 1 month ago.  We had booked the new "SPA" category cabin on Symphony for May 2021.  I purposely selected the 2nd sailing in fear that they could have been hit with typical delays (booked prior Covid).   Luckily we did have a refundable, so I canceled and upgraded to a JS.  

I was upset with  RCL because the "SPA" category basically came with more things than the traditional balcony and we were being charged more than the traditional balcony, but now we were going to pay for a product at a higher price that they were not delivering.  Hence, cancel and upgrade.

Just now, Pima1988 said:

This is almost the exact verbiage we got about 1 month ago.  We had booked the new "SPA" category cabin on Symphony for May 2021.  I purposely selected the 2nd sailing in fear that they could have been hit with typical delays (booked prior Covid).   Luckily we did have a refundable, so I canceled and upgraded to a JS.  

I was upset with  RCL because the "SPA" category basically came with more things than the traditional balcony and we were being charged more than the traditional balcony, but now we were going to pay for a product at a higher price that they were not delivering.  Hence, cancel and upgrade.

We got lucky, when we booked the spa balcony it was actually priced cheaper than connecting oceanview balcony rooms. So we lucked into what became a standard oceanview balcony at a savings of almost 1000.

Seems people are getting this thread confused with the replaced ship for Galveston and the November TA booking ??‍♂️ Obviously the TA is still the Allure not amped which I’m on and don’t see a problem with the price etc, but it’s out of order for the Galveston cruises, deposit refunds in cash is the least they should do..

31 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

at least he isn't losing the deposit as they said @twangster would.

Standard NRDB rules apply.  I'll lose $100 of my $250 towards a fee for not sailing a ship I didn't book. 

Plus I'll lose all of the the deposit I paid for my siblings since the FCC generated goes to them.  They are brand new cruisers who just got rid of their timeshare and wanted to try cruising but now have an awful taste in their mouth for Royal.  All the king's horses and the king's men won't be able to help me put that humpty dumpty back together again.  

Someone just posted the text below on a LOS Facebook page. Maybe there's hope after all? 

If you were booked on ALLURE and thought your options were limited to Liberty, That has changed today. Call if you wish to make changes. You can now: (1) Still move to Liberty, (2) Move to ANY other ship on a Caribbean cruise with your 7 night price protected (you can move 4 weeks before or after as well, like lift and shift), or (3) get a refund of your deposit (whether it was refundable or not).
We moved to Symphony, for the two weeks, in January 2022..Mine is done! Call RC if you want to make changes. Your move is still covered by Cruise with Confidence.We did have to pay a small difference in port fees. We are VERY pleased, since we wouldn't be getting Allure in Galveston then.

11 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

Someone just posted the text below on a LOS Facebook page. Maybe there's hope after all? 

If you were booked on ALLURE and thought your options were limited to Liberty, That has changed today. Call if you wish to make changes. You can now: (1) Still move to Liberty, (2) Move to ANY other ship on a Caribbean cruise with your 7 night price protected (you can move 4 weeks before or after as well, like lift and shift), or (3) get a refund of your deposit (whether it was refundable or not).
We moved to Symphony, for the two weeks, in January 2022..Mine is done! Call RC if you want to make changes. Your move is still covered by Cruise with Confidence.We did have to pay a small difference in port fees. We are VERY pleased, since we wouldn't be getting Allure in Galveston then.

Glad to hear!  

6 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

My agent has been fighting with them. 

No price protection at the moment.  They'll waive the $100 per person fee to move me to another ship but fare will be adjusted to prevailing rates for that ship.      

The only new thing this afternoon is an offer for 100% cancellation refund.  I'm jumping at this every chance I get.  Whenever the option for all of my deposit back is offered that is a no brainer for me.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Standard NRDB rules apply.  I'll lose $100 of my $250 towards a fee for not sailing a ship I didn't book. 

Plus I'll lose all of the the deposit I paid for my siblings since the FCC generated goes to them.  They are brand new cruisers who just got rid of their timeshare and wanted to try cruising but now have an awful taste in their mouth for Royal.  All the king's horses and the king's men won't be able to help me put that humpty dumpty back together again.  

I wonder if its EU consumer protection rules that are giving the other guy the option to not lose the deposit.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I thought CWC covered the change fee as long as you change by August 1?  

Q : How are Non-Refundable Deposit bookings impacted by this policy update?
A : Non-Refundable Deposit bookings sailing on-or-before April 30th, 2022 are eligible for the Cruise with Confidence Policy and follow the same guidelines. Prior to the Final Payment deadline, guests with a Non-Refundable Deposit bookings that wish to change to a different ship or sail date can do so with no fee assessed prior to August 1, 2020 - the change fee will be waived.

It does leave a bad taste in their mouth, understandable.  And this situation has to be extra frustrating.  I hope that your TA can persevere and get you the resolution you deserve.  I've read at least one success story so far of getting moved to a different ship and date price protected with the same Star Class cabin.

25 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I thought CWC covered the change fee as long as you change by August 1?  

It does leave a bad taste in their mouth, understandable.  And this situation has to be extra frustrating.  I hope that your TA can persevere and get you the resolution you deserve.  I've read at least one success story so far of getting moved to a different ship and date price protected with the same Star Class cabin.

My TA has invested several hours on this talking with various levels.  

Royal "offered" to move us to another ship waiving the $100 NRD fee but there would be no price protection.  We would need to pay prevailing rates for Star Class on another ship.  Since we booked Allure within an hour of it opening up we had a pretty good rate.  That rate isn't available on other ships and Star Class availability is pretty low in general.  

They refused to grant any equivalent Star Class benefits for accepting their move of our booking to Liberty.  No gratuity, no Voom, No beverage package, no dining package, etc.  

Finally they offered a 100% refund of the non-refundable deposit.  I jumped at this. 

They said it can take up to 90 days to receive the refund.  I had a talk with my credit card company and explained it all truthfully.  Royal cancelled the cruise, attempted to substitute an inferior ship in a different class of service and ultimately they offered a refund in full but at 90 days away.  My credit card company also found this 90 days to be unacceptable so they are disputing the transaction on the basis that it shouldn't take 90 days to receive a refund when the merchant cancelled the service and will eventually issue the refund in full.  

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal "offered" to move us to another ship waiving the $100 NRD fee but there would be no price protection.  We would need to pay prevailing rates for Star Class on another ship.  Since we booked Allure within an hour of it opening up we had a pretty good rate.  That rate isn't available on other ships and Star Class availability is pretty low in general.  

They refused to grant any equivalent Star Class benefits for accepting their move of our booking to Liberty.  No gratuity, no Voom, No beverage package, no dining package, etc.  

Finally they offered a 100% refund of the non-refundable deposit.  I jumped at this. 

They said it can take up to 90 days to receive the refund.  I had a talk with my credit card company and explained it all truthfully.  Royal cancelled the cruise, attempted to substitute an inferior ship in a different class of service and ultimately they offered a refund in full but at 90 days away.  My credit card company also found this 90 days to be unacceptable so they are disputing the transaction on the basis that it shouldn't take 90 days to receive a refund when the merchant cancelled the service and will eventually issue the refund in full.  

Unfortunately I think more of us should have taken the disputed charge tactic at the beginning when they started playing the long game with refunds. 

This should not happen. For 1 person to get their booking transferred with price protection and everyone else has to cancel, wait 90 days and start all over again at significantly higher prices is just wrong on so many levels.  Not only is the whole situation noxious, the level of service and CS incompetence is staggering.  This is going to result a LOT of turmoil and festering feelings.

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

<smh> very disappointing they would be so disingenuous & one sided.

22 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This should not happen. For 1 person to get their booking transferred with price protection and everyone else has to cancel, wait 90 days and start all over again at significantly higher prices is just wrong on so many levels.  Not only is the whole situation noxious, the level of service and CS incompetence is staggering.  This is going to result a LOT of turmoil and festering feelings.

My next cruises are four on Odyssey that my TA acknowledges are not going to happen.  We can't do anything on those right now so we have to wait for Royal to officially modify them.  

Sadly we both lament we get to repeat this sh*t show four times over when Royal finally admits Odyssey isn't sailing in November.  I think my TA is going to fire me.  

everyday its another turmoil with Royal these days with all of us just over their excuses with the entire situation in regard to screw ups with FCC amounts, massive delays of funds being issued,  ship changes and just being felt as oh well either sail or lose, cabins being switched, lack of communication on whether sailings happening or not.  you  just dont know what to expect or when the bomb will explode......

all i can say for all us who utilize travel agents, we could never be more appreciative and grateful for fighting the battle for all of us spending hours among hours on phone with Royal once they get thru, reaching out to their area dm to resolve problems and address all the changes from airline/hotel arrangements and travel insurance. 

i am just glad its NOT me having to fight my own battle with all my cruises craziness ............just glad my travel agent has patience to deal with me trying to straighten many problems one after another when Royal drops another bomb.  just hope my travel agent doesnt cringe when she sees another email or phone call from me about another problem..................just sent travel agent email, my reservation AGAIN vanished for no reason for a sailing.

again Royal has missed the ball on this whole situation from the very beginning and they havent even apologized not once.  if only they realized all the variables involved from our standpoint or if it was personally them on the other side maybe things would be different.

tomorrow will be another day and hopefully soon we all will be finally cruising having many lava flows on a much needed cruise to get out of dry dock syndrome and forget all about this chaos.

54 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Someone posted this on Facebook.  I have an email into Michelle to check its validity.

It has been reported that Royal has relented faced with so much backlash on social media. Too little too late, mine is cancelled.

It's tiresome dealing with a company that doesn't understand it's guests, puts two left feet forward and only after tripping and falling on their face do they go back and try to recover, time and again.  Why does it have to become a scandal on social media for them to do the right thing?

It does go to show the value of using a travel agent but enough is enough.  The most important reason to use a travel agent should not be "because the company is so screwed up you don't want to have to deal with them".

A couple observations.

It should not go unsaid that the majority of work TAs are doing today is for free. TAs do not get paid to Lift and Shift. TAs don't get paid to fight for refunds. TAs certainly don't get paid by the hour while they are on hold. We, as advanced cruisers, should be the adult in the room. Even though it is not required, if you've used your TA to save your bacon recently I think an envelope with a thank you and a gift card to your TAs local grocery store is absolutely in order. There is no such thing as "free".

Royal Caribbean frequently makes foot faults but this Allure situation is different. This is directly throwing passengers under the bus.  Add in the "Oh yeah, newsflash; in case you didn't notice Allure is not being amped" The sun rises the next day. "Up, up, up, up, hang on......yeah we already contracted and may have even paid for design work, engineering, and contractors to make fancy, colorful additions so.....we are just going to implement them at a later date. But you shouldn't like Allure any less." My take is that these two events show a lack of caring and frustration at the Miami headquarters. A lack of a plan and a lack of leadership. It is of the first "pain" passengers are going to feel because of the financial situation. Your red flag meter should be going crazy.

I've said long ago that hospitality has left the cruise industry. I'm fearful that going forward, a dishrag might make a better host.

We should be seeing another TA video from Richard Fain soon, I am hoping for some WOW!, not what's sitting in my kitchen sink.

7 hours ago, twangster said:

It has been reported that Royal has relented faced with so much backlash on social media. Too little too late, mine is cancelled.

It's tiresome dealing with a company that doesn't understand it's guests, puts two left feet forward and only after tripping and falling on their face do they go back and try to recover, time and again.  Why does it have to become a scandal on social media for them to do the right thing?

It does go to show the value of using a travel agent but enough is enough.  The most important reason to use a travel agent should not be "because the company is so screwed up you don't want to have to deal with them".

I learned my lesson a few years back when I went through the Adventure of the Seas "soft launch" and Royal made it very clear who held all the cards. That's when Royal went from my brand of choice to being one of several options that i consider. I have since enjoyed cruises on multiple other lines (and still Royal when its the right fit) but I went from being a Loyal to Royal cheerleader to recommending several brands when asked.

32 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I learned my lesson a few years back when I went through the Adventure of the Seas "soft launch" and Royal made it very clear who held all the cards. That's when Royal went from my brand of choice to being one of several options that i consider. I have since enjoyed cruises on multiple other lines (and still Royal when its the right fit) but I went from being a Loyal to Royal cheerleader to recommending several brands when asked.

100% agree with you @jticarruthers. I really recommended RCL these past 2 years, coming from Disney Cruise Line, I would say you get the same thing from RCL as you do from DCL. My tune has definitely changed. If you can afford DCL, go with them (if the casino is not your thing and you don't mind kids). I have also found that the hospitality industry is still very much alive with DCL, from all levels of their cast members.

To @twangster's point: RCL is constantly screwing up/"you". I will continue to use MEI FOR SURE, but RCL will probably not be considered first. Fixtures, food, etc, yeh, I get why pay more for that on DCL, but why do I have to pay so much more for competence and knowledge? Shouldn't be that way. RCL needs to pull it's head out of it's you know what!