Royal Caribbean Blog

Update from Royal on FCC and Refunds

1 hour ago, mattymay said:

Has anyone ever had a refund processed and the cruise fare went back to card used for the booking, but the fees go to a card you used on a previous cruise and never used to purchase anything for this cruise? 

Weird!

I have had $ show up on weird/old cards before ... my neighbour just got his refund for a cruise ... paid in full on one card, refund was split across 3 cards, 1 of which hasnt been active in years. 

On 4/29/2020 at 3:39 PM, Jill said:

There’s no rhyme or reason how they’re processed. Someone in this group got their FCC for a cruise AFTER my date. That was a May cruise. There are people from March and April who still haven’t gotten anything. Screwy for sure. 

Yeah i don't get why they wouldn't be processing things in the order they cancelled the cruises. My Cruise was first batch cancelled and i have only received FCC, but no refunds for purchases, upgrade Big i won, and Port Fees and taxes. A bit frustrating that i have received no refunds, but cruises cancelled after mine have. and soon it will be 2 months since my cruise didn't happen, not what Royal determines as the date they cancelled.

I understand the delay of refunds during these times. No issue there. I finally received a partial refund on both my March, 2020 Sydney, Australian 12 day B2B cruises. Sooooo confused.   Each cruise totaled 2508.76 of which taxes, fees and port charges came to $441.74. Refund was for $1358.76 for each. No other refunds listed separately. I did get refunded for shore excursions last month. After a looonnngg wait time was told by agent that he did not know and would refer to manager who was not in at the time. Any one else get a partial refund AND an explanation? Just wish they would give a breakdown on how they got to that figure and what else, if anything, would still be outstanding. Thanks for hearing my vent!!  Still love my RCL. 

I have cruised many times, but this was to be my first RCCL cruise. Because I got such a great deal when I booked, I chose the refund in lieu of a FCC.

Even before I officially cancelled my cruise, they proactively emailed me to advise the cruise was canceled and then very promptly began to refund all shore excursions and packages that I had purchased. I received all that money back, credited to the cards I used to purchase them, within a few days. 

It's been about 35 business days since I canceled and I have yet to receive the refund for the actual cruise cost, so I decided to call them today to check on it. My hold time was quite low, less than 5 minutes, actually. I got a very professional rep on line who checked and verified that my refund was in process, and for the exact amount I had calculated, but explained they are running behind. I told him that was fine, I just wanted to make sure I didn't fall through the cracks since I could easily see that happening with the sheer volume they're dealing with. He told me to give it another couple of weeks. I'm not in any hurry for it, but I feel better knowing my refund is pending.

I wanted to post an update from an RCCL nobody. Looks like we're all being taken care of. My question to this group is why would you take the FCC on a BOGO? I don't understand how that could possibly be better than a refund. You already saved double when you originally booked. How is 125% credit better? Are you banking on another BOGO?  Am I missing something? 

Regards,

Polly

1 hour ago, DRLPP said:

I understand the delay of refunds during these times. No issue there. I finally received a partial refund on both my March, 2020 Sydney, Australian 12 day B2B cruises. Sooooo confused.   Each cruise totaled 2508.76 of which taxes, fees and port charges came to $441.74. Refund was for $1358.76 for each. No other refunds listed separately. I did get refunded for shore excursions last month. After a looonnngg wait time was told by agent that he did not know and would refer to manager who was not in at the time. Any one else get a partial refund AND an explanation? Just wish they would give a breakdown on how they got to that figure and what else, if anything, would still be outstanding. Thanks for hearing my vent!!  Still love my RCL. 

I've been lurking on this board since December,  after our family decided to take our 1st cruise.  But something similar happened to me so I created a profile to share my experience so far.  1st post! 

We were scheduled for Harmony on March 22nd from Port Canaveral.  We got the cancellation email on March 15th (I think)  I responded the next day for the 100% refund.  Called a couple of weeks ago and they said my request was processed on April 6th and could take up to 30 days.  We received our refund on Wednesday (so less than 30 calendar or business days),  but only for 86% of what we paid.  So I called them and the rep I spoke to put me on hold for about 10 minutes, then came back and said the remaining refund had already been approved/processed and may take another 7-10 days to post.  He had no idea why it was split in 2 like that.   The balance was a random number (no combination of port fees/taxes, prepaid gratuities or passenger fares equaled the missing amount).  Don't know the rhyme or reason,  but glad to get back what we have so far and I'm sure we'll get the rest.  Good luck to you!

@Sweetpolly To answer your question. Many people on this board are avid cruisers, often loyal to royal. They have 5 to a million other cruises on deck so taking the FCC works in their favor big time. They are getting an extra 25% of what they paid, which can be used to pay the balance on other cruises.

I had a cruise scheduled on CCL, insane deal of a grand ocean suite, 4 days only $1085 for 2 people. I took the refund because I don't like Carnival and was only cursing because it was part of a birthday group deal.

On 4/29/2020 at 3:12 PM, jticarruthers said:

I hate how they do the FCC by person. Rolled forward a booked cruise from May to Sept.

The original cruise was a BOGO style so my name has big $ next to it, my buddy has small $.

I got a big FCC, he got a small FCC.

The new cruise is split evenly , so i cant use my full FCC and his FCC doesnt cover his half.

Stupid crap like this makes me just want a refund and deal with it later ....

So now the balance of my FCC has to go to another reservation and he has to pay out of pocket to make it work instead of saying "yep its a wash".

The same thing has just happened to me and MY WIFE! Although my understanding is that the excess FCC on my account can be retained for use on yet another cruise, my wife's FCC won't cover half (her share) of the cost of the cruise we're booking, so we'll have to shell out $$. The 125% FCC offer was meant to give us "a little extra", not make us pay more.

We had our June 7th on Oasis canceled by Royal on April 16th. We opted for a full refund and not the FCC. Received email from Royal about the cruise planner cancellations on April 23 and assumed that to be the start of our 30 days. April 24 the cruise planner credits showed up as a refund on our credit card. And on April 29th our refund for the cruise and deposit showed up. Much quicker than expected. I fell for those of you still waiting. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to when they are being processed. We did got through our TA for the cruise cancellation, maybe that had something to do with their quick refund.

On 5/1/2020 at 1:29 PM, Ampurp85 said:

@Sweetpolly To answer your question. Many people on this board are avid cruisers, often loyal to royal. They have 5 to a million other cruises on deck so taking the FCC works in their favor big time. They are getting an extra 25% of what they paid, which can be used to pay the balance on other cruises.

I had a cruise scheduled on CCL, insane deal of a grand ocean suite, 4 days only $1085 for 2 people. I took the refund because I don't like Carnival and was only cursing because it was part of a birthday group deal.

Thanks, Ampur85, and I get the 125%. Still, 125% is not a fair compensation if you got the cruise on a BOGO. Are BOGOs that common on Royal? I guess you could book a cheaper and shorter cruise and come out ahead. Just like the Carnival cruise you mentioned, it was an insane deal. I don't know how you'd ever win by taking the FCC.

Hearing about how some later cruisers, May and June itineraries, have gotten their refunds faster has gotten me to thinking. That there is some logic to the returns. Think about it... how many of the March and April cruises were 30days or less from cruising when they had to cancel? That means that all vendors, operators, and suppliers have been paid. RCCI now has to get those funds back as well as do the refunds. May and June were still far enough out that they would have less money tied up.

@Sweetpolly It is actually more than fair because RCCI runs a lot of the same promotions that work out well. I have not seen an actual bogo, as buy one fare and get one free. But they will do 60% of second guest which is the same as 30% of both guest., etc. Many people were able to apply the FCC from one cruise to 2 or more. Right now they aren't running some of the greatest promotions but like I said if you have another cruise already scheduled, its a no brainier to take the FCC and pay that off.

On 5/2/2020 at 2:10 PM, Schoonertwo said:

The same thing has just happened to me and MY WIFE! Although my understanding is that the excess FCC on my account can be retained for use on yet another cruise, my wife's FCC won't cover half (her share) of the cost of the cruise we're booking, so we'll have to shell out $$. The 125% FCC offer was meant to give us "a little extra", not make us pay more.

My TA was able to convince Royal of the stupidity and they allowed me to apply my FCC balance to "her"balance due

11 hours ago, Wnuk said:

We did got through our TA for the cruise cancellation, maybe that had something to do with their quick refund.

Someone on my sailing also received their refund very quickly after the April cancellation announcement.  She also canceled via her travel agent. I filled out that online form and received no confirmation that they even received it. It seems to me that the least they could do is send a confirmation.

Good Morning to another week of waiting for my refund from my 3/15 and 3/22 cruise.  I may have made this opinion or suggestion before but I need to vent decompress a little. 

If consumers are waiting for refunds from the 1st round of cancellations, Royal should waive any required deposit for a cruise that would need one.  They know how much money they owe us so let them give a little.  Or if a sailing requires full payment reduce the amount they owe us!  Never gonna happen but hey, I can dream!

Just thought of another way they could give us a little.  If we book a cruise that requires full payment and the price goes down, they should honor this new price!

Really, what have they done other then give excuses about the system and back log!  Heck, I still haven't received the letter of apology, and I know they have all the necessary correct information to communicate with me. 

On 5/2/2020 at 1:33 PM, KyleW2 said:

Just to confirm I’m reading this right, it is taking 45 business days for FCC from the first round of cancellations?

They hope that it will not take that long, but they are telling anyone in round 2 and 3 that it could take up to 45 days.  I added the business days in my post as for all the years I have been a Travel Planner, they always tell us in the call center that refunds take 7 to 10 business days.... or up to 2 billing cycles (this was before all of this)  So when I am told a day by a company I assume no one is processing on the weekends.  They might be now, but I have yet to see a HUGE jump in FCCS on a Monday when I come in.   Also, many banks hold transactions over the weekends as well until weekdays.  That is why I said it the way I did.

16 hours ago, luv2sail said:

Someone on my sailing also received their refund very quickly after the April cancellation announcement.  She also canceled via her travel agent. I filled out that online form and received no confirmation that they even received it. It seems to me that the least they could do is send a confirmation.

You might want to try to fill out that form again.  They have had issues with the links, so it cant hurt to do it again.  Especially since you didn't get a confirmation.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:10 AM, ebeck88 said:

If we are waiting on taxes refund and refund of cruise planner should I ask for an update from travel agent or RC directly?

I called RC about  my refund that is way overdue.  After  speaking  to an RC rep. about  my situation,  I was advised  to have my travel agent call them. My travel  agent  was able to get things resolved with  one call.