WannaCruise

CoCo Cay Pricing Getting Ridiculous

I get it.....I cant afford  $20,000 Starclass..but I can afford a $500 Interior

Cococay doesn't work like that......its high prices for everything.,.so not a fair comparison..they basically price out a large percentage of their customers...

And I get the over water Cabana's being limited..but the waterpark is not on the same level and normally would appeal and be affordable for most ppl....

I think the fact that so many people are surprised and questioning the price  across many different sites(not just this one) speaks to the issue......you can fool all of the people some of the time..but you can't fool ALL of the people ALL of the time

Eventually they are going to price themselves out of the market, or else only appeal to the upper-class in society if they keep raising prices like they have(and I don't mean just the water park example)

if we were a family, cruising would be very quickly becoming not an option......

We will be there next week.  There are still both beach and OTW cabanas available and the price has remained very steady (no big jumps or slumps) since they became available for booking.  That makes me think that they are not in particularly high demand for our sailing.  The day pass to the Club, however, must be selling pretty well.  The prices on that have been all over the place with $50.99 PP the lowest (this is the price we paid) and today’s price, $93.99 PP.   As far as I know, Anthem will be the only ship there that day.

19 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We will be there next week.  There are still both beach and OTW cabanas available and the price has remained very steady (no big jumps or slumps) since they became available for booking.  That makes me think that they are not in particularly high demand for our sailing.  The day pass to the Club, however, must be selling pretty well.  The prices on that have been all over the place with $50.99 PP the lowest (this is the price we paid) and today’s price, $93.99 PP.   As far as I know, Anthem will be the only ship there that day.

Do you know what is included on Beach club only pass?

Just now, mook1525 said:

Do you know what is included on Beach club only pass?

No, not really.  I believe everything except cabanas and drinks are included but I really don’t know for sure.  If you have the UBP then drinks ARE included.  I know food is included.  The pool and loungers are included as far as I know.  I will have to ask the Suites Concierge  about towels.  Not sure if we have to bring towels from the ship or not.

When we were there last week we had a cabana on Chill Island. The cabana included towels, floating mats, Bluetooth speaker, cooler with ice and waters, snorkeling gear, bar and food service from our cabana attendant. He gave us wristbands and said they were good for everything on the island except ziplining and helium balloon. Shocked, I asked if it included the water park. He assured us it did. We were shocked as it was not advertised that a chill island cabana included access to the waterpark. We asked him to double check so he asked another cabana attendant who said yes it was included. With this information my wife and I decided we may as well give the slides a go. We wandered over to the waterpark only to be turned away and told it was not included. Wasn't too bothered by it because we weren't planning on going on the slides anyway but found it amusing that a lot of the employees seemed misinformed and unaware of what was what.

2 hours ago, dr martini said:

Haha yep.  It's always been like this in business, maybe sticks out more here because this is a new category and a new kind of experience.

Supply and Demand.  Kids want the waterpark.  RC wants to maximize profits and also has a limited capacity for the rides.

I feel the same way about the cabanas and the new beach club.  To me, it's highway robbery for one 6 hour experience but some people clearly have a lot of money and want the status, they want to be seen and want to be pampered.  It's like anything else, there are plenty of cars that can drive you from point A to point B, watches that can tell time and hand bags that can hold your personal items; just happen to be some out there with a different logo and a few extra zeroes at the end of their price tag.  Companies wouldn't keep making them if they didn't sell.  

Well we booked the beach club ($54.99) for our Symphony cruise in May to insure we wouldn’t be searching endlessly for chairs on the beach. We’re traveling with another couple so hunting down 4 first row chairs is something we don’t want to do. 

At the time, I didn’t know if we’d be the only ship there or one of several. when we were on Labadee on Oasis, I hated it. Least favorite port. It was a glorified hotel beach. Crowded. 

We were at CocoCay in October on Mariner and it was great. Deserted! Plenty of space. 

So I booked the beach club in anticipation of CocoCay being crowded. I’m sitting back waiting for the reviews to start coming in to see if it’s really worth it. I have since found out that Symphony is the only ship at CocoCay the day we’re there. So likely not too bad crowd wise. 

We’re not rich and don’t need pampering but sitting on top of people is not fun. This was a way to insure some space. 

For the record, I’d never pay $93.99 for this pass. That’s ridiculous. We got the water park last October for $45.99 and that wasn’t worth it either. I can’t imagine people paying 3 times that amount for water slides. 

Nice summary from Matt.

Cant see myself ever doing a cabana, maybe a day pass one day on a whim, but honestly the only thing i want to do is head out to the floating bar which sounds like it is back where it belongs, so no need to pay for the day pass for that.

For our Marc 22nd sailing on Anthem the cost for the Thrill park is $113 a day and the cabana’s were $1,000

my boys will want to do the thrill park and want me and my husband too

i can’t believe it’s that pricey - it’s Disney World expensive lol

Going on a day there will be three ships docked. Certainly not paying $100 a kid to stand in line and perhaps get 3-4 rides down slides. That’s is the one draw back to Royal, nickel and dime you with everything. 

It really is a 'you do you, I'll do me" thing.  I'm cheap and my family knows it but I'm cheap so we can use our money to do fun things.  We did the water park cabana on our last visit for a family of 5.  It was $299.  Kids got to do the slides and wave pool which they love and we are in the frozen mountains of PA so none close.  Mom and dad got to hang at the cabana and chill out for the day.  We told the kids next time we will do the free stuff and they are happy with that.

In August hubby and I booked the beach club for $55.99 per person for the two of us.  Decent deal we think for the food options and limited people in the area.  We wouldn't pay for all 5 of us to do that. 

For us it all comes down to who is cruising, when we are cruising and if we can find a deal that we feel comfortable with.

30 minutes ago, Miklou32 said:

Going on a day there will be three ships docked. Certainly not paying $100 a kid to stand in line and perhaps get 3-4 rides down slides. That’s is the one draw back to Royal, nickel and dime you with everything. 

I don't see it that way at all. I think of it as "a la carte pricing".   Instead of charging a much higher fee, and making everything included, you pay for what you do want to use.  If everything was complimentary, you'd still be paying for it, and probably paying for things you might not want.  Some people don't drink alcohol - should they be subsidizing my consumption?  I don't want photos, no point having that cost blanketed in when I have no need or want for them.  If the price of the extras matches your perceived value of it, go for it.  If not, there's still plenty to do.  

47 minutes ago, PhantomWolf said:

I will be using the "free" areas of the island for a short time and then will be taking advantage of the less crowded ship.

A reasonable strategy!  I'll be lucky to drag Mr SpeedNoodles off of the island before the ship floats away.

8 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'll be lucky to drag Mr SpeedNoodles off of the island before the ship floats away.

Well if you are on our sailing than it will be a tie on which of our hubbies are the last on board.  We absolutely adore Coco Cay.  

I also agree with your premise of viewing it as ala carte instead of seeing it as nickel and diming.  I have no desire to go to the water park or do the balloon, or even kayak, should I pay for those items when I know I will never use them?  

The same is true for Labadee,  since we will be on Symphony, I will get the same thrill ziplining on the ship.  Sure it is different landscape, but I see it like when we did parasailing on Coco Cay....bucket list items, do it 1x to say I did it.   Instead at Labadee I will do the rollercoaster.  

Finally, we also like the options they offer.  We have done nothing, we have rented the cabanas, the beach beds and now we will do the beach pass.  It allows us the ability to try new things without the stress of hoping we will be able to get XYZ.  

Look at it another way.  When you purchase a stove by Whirlpool.  You can get the low end, it does the job, or now you can go all the way up to the point that your Alexa will turn on the stove for you.  Would you say Whirlpool is nickel and diming you?  No, you just would say if I want those bells and whistles than I will pay for them.

For comparison...(our prices are in CAD)

• We purchased Waterpark tickets for Navigator (Aug 2019) for $58.51 ...unfortunately we never made it due to Dorian and got our money back
  • We purchased  Half Day Waterpark tickets for Anthem (Mar 2020) for $79.06.  Full Day was $105.  Half day no longer exists so hoping they get converted to full day.  Current price is $150.28.  Yikes!
  • We purchased 2-Day Waterpark tickets for Mariner (Aug 2020) for $105. This price was short lived and it is now $198 for 2-day and $118 for single day.
  • Harmony (Mar 2021) is selling for $131.67.  

Navigator and Anthem were purchased way back.  Mariner was purchased very soon after they converted our single CoCo Cay stop to a 2 day stop.

Hoping no weather issues cancels our stop at Anthem or Mariner.....since at current prices, we will not be purchasing for Harmony, nor other cruises going forward.

Seems a right rip-off to me. As if you don’t pay enough for the cruise and they expect you to pay through the nose for a stop off at the beach. No thanks, I will not be indulging is this. 😡😭

I think some people including me think the prices are high, because they kind of are. I do not see anything wrong with people voicing their opinions. For my sailing the water park was originally $99 dollars, then I got an email that it was on sale now for $131.99. How is it a sale if you raised the price? I know for me, seeing the non consistent pricing makes me feel like some of the prices are ridiculous. However, I just don't buy it. I just spend my money on excursions where the prices are more consistent.

Our take on Coco Cay from this past September (me and the missus are late 50s but are in good health) is that the free stuff offered plenty of fun options (Snack Shack was good, buffet not bad, etc.). We also enjoyed the Oasis Lagoon and Swim-up bar; we had no problem finding a pair of umbrella-covered loungers being that we got off the boat in the first hour or so of opening. Walking around the place was fun, and we really didn't feel like we missed a whole lot. Our only cost was a cocktail or two at the swim-up bar (we don't drink enough for the unlimited package). We got back on Symphony after several hours of fun and sun and found the boat virtually empty and headed to the Solarium Deck (our favorite relaxation spot) and had the pick of loungers near the bar. For our upcoming 2-week back-to-back cruises on Symphony this Fall (celebrating our 20th anniversary), we booked the Coco Club at $79/each in order to enjoy a little more privacy and the delicious lunch. If we were sailing with several other friends, I could see considering getting a paid cabana, but I think you can easily enjoy Perfect Day without blowing out your wallet. We like to use our cash for various onboard paid activities (private dining packages, ship tours, etc.).