CoCo Cay Pricing Getting Ridiculous

WannaCruise

On 2/2/2020 at 3:44 PM, Branderson610 said:

I think some people including me think the prices are high, because they kind of are. I do not see anything wrong with people voicing their opinions. For my sailing the water park was originally $99 dollars, then I got an email that it was on sale now for $131.99. How is it a sale if you raised the price? I know for me, seeing the non consistent pricing makes me feel like some of the prices are ridiculous. However, I just don't buy it. I just spend my money on excursions where the prices are more consistent.

We are sailing on Oasis on 24th May and booked day passes at the Coco Beach Club for GBP 52.44 pp. I checked to see whether they have been discounted in the current sale to find that the price has effectively trebled to GBP 151.24 pp... Certainly supports Matt's advice to lock in the price when you can!! Being selfish however, if the price remains this high we will hopefully not face an issue with overcrowding!

• 1 month later...

OP here...just hit a new record.

Our March cruise was cancelled so we re-booked Anthem for December.  I could have sworn the waterpark was showing $105 CAD yesterday, but today it shows $175.55 CAD.  That is definitely a new high....and one that we definitely will not be re-booking (there are 4 of us). ☹️

Fingers crossed that our Mariner cruise in the summer is not cancelled so we can get the waterpark out of our system.

We stupidly paid for a cabana on Coco Cay! NOT recommended. If you have a drink package and or dining package it is completely unnecessary AND does not include tickets to any of the attractions. Prices are ridiculously high for their captive audience. There is nothing else to do if you choose to leave the ship that day. Disagree wholeheartedly with Royal charging such exorbitant fees for their owned attractions. We are Star class travelers and still disagree with their Coco Cay pricing!

1 minute ago, Jilybean23 said:

We stupidly paid for a cabana on Coco Cay! NOT recommended. If you have a drink package and or dining package it is completely unnecessary AND does not include tickets to any of the attractions. Prices are ridiculously high for their captive audience. There is nothing else to do if you choose to leave the ship that day. Disagree wholeheartedly with Royal charging such exorbitant fees for their owned attractions. We are Star class travelers and still disagree with their Coco Cay pricing!

Agree Cabana pricing is insane but have visited 5 times and not spent a dime.  Lots to do without the water park.  It's a beach or pool day, both included.   

• 2 years later...

I am so disappointed in the prices at Royal Caribbean's Thrill water park.  Almost $150 per person for a water slide park????  We paid less than than for Universal and Disney.  Even parks like Kalahari and Great Wolf lodge aren't even close to that.   I don't mind paying around $50-75 but $150 per person is ridiculous.  We have an upcoming cruise and with those prices, I will probably bypass the Thrill Water Park.  My kids will be so disappointed.  

1 hour ago, Joybean said:

I am so disappointed in the prices at Royal Caribbean's Thrill water park.  Almost $150 per person for a water slide park????  We paid less than than for Universal and Disney.  Even parks like Kalahari and Great Wolf lodge aren't even close to that.   I don't mind paying around $50-75 but $150 per person is ridiculous.  We have an upcoming cruise and with those prices, I will probably bypass the Thrill Water Park.  My kids will be so disappointed.  

When is your cruise?  Same thing for our Oasis cruise next March. It shows regular price of $191 CAD and current sale price $172 CAD.  That's insane!  We just went this past March and paid $65 CAD  (and for that, we were the only ship and not full capacity so no crowd issues).  Our kids loved the park so hoping it's just so high off since the cruise is out 10 months.  They too will be upset if we don't purchase it (but not at that price)

1 hour ago, Joybean said:

Hmmm....the cost for our cruise in September for all day Thrill Waterpark is at $98/person. Not going to do it this time as we did that last August when we were there. 

My kids have been to the waterpark twice, and after the 2nd time, they basically said they don't care to go anymore.  When two ships are at Coco Cay, the lines in the water park get long really quick.  When you only have a certain amount of time in the park, it's terrible to spend half of it waiting in lines.  

Supply and demand though I guess.  If they keep selling it out at prices in excess of $100, then they will never lower them.  

11 minutes ago, JBC said:

My kids have been to the waterpark twice, and after the 2nd time, they basically said they don't care to go anymore.  When two ships are at Coco Cay, the lines in the water park get long really quick.  When you only have a certain amount of time in the park, it's terrible to spend half of it waiting in lines.  

Supply and demand though I guess.  If they keep selling it out at prices in excess of $100, then they will never lower them.  

Just like Disney.. keep raising their prices because people will still come. 

I’m replying with the caveat that I haven’t been to thrill waterpark however we did just cruise to cococay in April and I did watch the waterpark prices closely for nearly a year beforehand. On Black Friday they were something like $35. I couldn’t believe it and really should have bought them, my oldest kids were so disappointed not to go to the water park (it was intentional not to purchase them though because we had tickets to universals volcano bay after the cruise). After Black Friday they went up to $75, then closer to sail date they were $110. So if your cruise is next year hold out and hope for a Black Friday sale.  

People are still buying the passes so don't expect prices to go down. Its the same reason why we are seing the trend of new ship builds dedicating more and more space to suite space because there are people willing to spend 5 times the amount of a regular cabin for the same vacation with a few extra perks.

3 hours ago, peytonhead said:

We have a cruise next April and the price went from $109 pp to $149 pp.  Seems very expensive to go to a waterpark.  We can get season passes at Carowinds for that price and go from March to December.

I think that’s the same thing with a lot of things. We have a local water park which is nice and a second one not too far away, so the one on island is not of any interest to us.  However, we are considering dining at Izumi hibachi solely because our “good hibachi” at home has taken a nosedive.  We don’t typically do speciality dining or excursions to save on cost but When we vacation, We tend to do things that we can’t do at home.  I bet there are a lot of people who don’t have easy access to a water park and for them the price is “reasonable”.

16 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

You want to hear ridiculous?  The OTW Coco Beach cabanas have now gone up to $3499 for SY 12/31/22 and beyond into 2023 sailings!

That's our price at the end of the month as well. It says it's sold out.

Similarly the day pass for Coco Beach is $260 right now and they say there are only 2 left. 

I understand both of these probably sold most of that availability at somewhat lower prices since they've been climbing recently, but still.

Coco Beach Club is not worth anywhere near $260 per person, that is crazy.  I guess I am glad I have been to Coco Cay a few times now and have done the beach club and water park when they were more reasonably priced.  Cabana's for $3500 is insane too, but I guess I can't blame RC if people are paying it.  People are coming off a long hiatus from vacationing and are making up for lost time with the spending apparently.  After a year or so those prices will settle back down.  I want to read the review of the beach club by the person that paid $260 pp for it!    

I feel like these inflated pre-cruise planner prices (including Coco Cay) are a reactionary decision by Royal partially in response to their recent record breaking booking week about a month ago.  They are certainly testing the limits of their customers' spending limits, and why shouldn't they?  It is a business

I also wonder if some of the pricing is in relation to the number of people that have some onboard FCC from past cancellations.  We had a 10 night cruise get cancelled in the first wave of things and had only purchased the Refreshment package for two people.  When they offered the 125% we took it and ended up with a ton of onboard FCC that we ended up using much later when we visited places that required excursions to get off the ship.  Normally we don't do excursions, but we were able to do an excursion at each port with very little additional expense.

16 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

I also wonder if some of the pricing is in relation to the number of people that have some onboard FCC from past cancellations.  We had a 10 night cruise get cancelled in the first wave of things and had only purchased the Refreshment package for two people.  When they offered the 125% we took it and ended up with a ton of onboard FCC that we ended up using much later when we visited places that required excursions to get off the ship.  Normally we don't do excursions, but we were able to do an excursion at each port with very little additional expense.

Confused, I though FCC could only be used towards the cruise fare and not onboard... Is there a way around this?

7 minutes ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

Confused, I though FCC could only be used towards the cruise fare and not onboard... Is there a way around this?

They might be referring to the 125% Cruise Planner Credit they offered early in the pandemic, for purchases made for cancelled cruises. I ended up wit A LOT of onbaord credit because of this.

22 minutes ago, Spang1974 said:

They might be referring to the 125% Cruise Planner Credit they offered early in the pandemic, for purchases made for cancelled cruises. I ended up wit A LOT of onboard credit because of this.

This is correct.  We had a 10N Canadian cruise from Baltimore scheduled for May 2019 and was hit as part of the initial shutdown.  We took the 125% FCC for BOTH the cruise and the cruise planner, when we thought we'd be back in a few months 🙂  

24 minutes ago, Spang1974 said:

They might be referring to the 125% Cruise Planner Credit they offered early in the pandemic, for purchases made for cancelled cruises. I ended up wit A LOT of onbaord credit because of this.

I see. Interesting. Looks like people had to opt in to receive this as 125% onboard credit rather than a cash refund. Also looks like these expire in September. I'd cash it out via the slots rather than force myself to overspend on other things. 25% ROI!

I see. Interesting. Looks like people had to opt in to receive this as 125% onboard credit rather than a cash refund. Also looks like these expire in September. I'd cash it out via the slots rather than force myself to overspend on other things. 25% ROI!

It was good if you had bought the DBP on Black Friday (when they used to have real sales), and lost out on the discount (Covid cancellation) and needed to buy the DBP at an increased price for your next/new sailing. It covered the higher price and then some with extra 25%. I was able to cash out the balance on slots even though the fine print said non-refundable credit was not allowed.

I see. Interesting. Looks like people had to opt in to receive this as 125% onboard credit rather than a cash refund. Also looks like these expire in September. I'd cash it out via the slots rather than force myself to overspend on other things.

We probably would have cashed out some, but at some ports like Barbados, St. Kits, and St. Lucia we had to take an excursion in order to get off the ship and see the islands.  Since we had the FCC, we really didn't have to spend much additional money.  We also learned during the "weird times" that from that point on, if we want to do something, we're just going to do it since you never know what could come up and alter your plans.

We really enjoyed our excursions, we just normally wander the island on our own, so this was different.  We also got to see many things that we never would have made it to on our own, so we've changed our stance on excursions for the future and may take an excursion or two when we travel to new places.  We're not "beach people" so the ones we've looked at tend to be more history related. 

9 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

We probably would have cashed out some, but at some ports like Barbados, St. Kits, and St. Lucia we had to take an excursion in order to get off the ship and see the islands.  Since we had the FCC, we really didn't have to spend much additional money.  We also learned during the "weird times" that from that point on, if we want to do something, we're just going to do it since you never know what could come up and alter your plans.

We really enjoyed our excursions, we just normally wander the island on our own, so this was different.  We also got to see many things that we never would have made it to on our own, so we've changed our stance on excursions for the future and may take an excursion or two when we travel to new places.  We're not "beach people" so the ones we've looked at tend to be more history related. 

Very cool.  Yeah, sorry if it came off that I implied excursions would be overspending or wasting money.  Experiences like excursions are the highlight of a trip and are nearly priceless, especially when you're traveling with family.  Glad you took advantage of their 125% offer and it worked out in your favor!

I agree that the prices are getting beyond crazy. What gets me is the fact that people are still paying these prices!!! That is the unfortunate thing, as long as people keep paying these insane prices, there is no reason for Royal to lower them.

Sadly, this is the case for homes, cars, cruise, etc... Guess there is ether A LOT of people with stupid money or people that don't mind being in debt for the rest of their lives. We have a Alaska cruise in 9 days and another cruise for Oct. 2023. If things do not normalize somewhat, we will have to seriously rethink a lot of things in life. I refuse to over pay for anything especially when we work as hard as we do.

11 minutes ago, CJS2766 said:

I agree that the prices are getting beyond crazy. What gets me is the fact that people are still paying these prices!!! That is the unfortunate thing, as long as people keep paying these insane prices, there is no reason for Royal to lower them.

RC is banking on people looking at this as their first big vacation after covid and having a larger budget than usual. That's somewhat the case for us - I booked our first specialty dining (Izumi Sushi) and got us snorkel gear for CocoCay in addition to our $61/night drink package for our first cruise back later this month. Nothing extreme, but slightly higher spend than if this was just another summer vacation.

It'll be interesting to see how long they can keep these prices up and people actually buy them.

1 hour ago, CJS2766 said:

Guess there is ether A LOT of people with stupid money or people that don't mind being in debt for the rest of their lives.

It's definitely the former. During the earnings call last week, Royal said people have a lot of money saved up and want to spend it.

• 1 month later...

Wow I'm looking at these prices and it's jaw dropping how much they have gone up. A beach club pass for Aug 21-28 sailing is 178 bucks for an adult and not much less for a kid. Waterpark is about the same. Question... if I want to be a the beach club and my kids want to do the waterpark how does that work? Can I go in to supervise them without paying myself? And I guess I would need to get them a beach club pass to? This is nuts 

15 hours ago, Spicoli15 said:

Wow I'm looking at these prices and it's jaw dropping how much they have gone up. A beach club pass for Aug 21-28 sailing is 178 bucks for an adult and not much less for a kid. Waterpark is about the same. Question... if I want to be a the beach club and my kids want to do the waterpark how does that work? Can I go in to supervise them without paying myself? And I guess I would need to get them a beach club pass to? This is nuts 

You need a pass for each person for each location   

1 hour ago, Meangreen said:

We got lucky and I caught wind of the Black Friday sale (long before I knew about this site) and paid $55 each for the 6 of us.  We’re on Independence in mid July.  We also scored drink packages and some other things at half price during that sale.

I'm gonna be on my cruise on black Friday. When do you think is the next best sale will be? On our last cruise we parked at coco cay to drop off staff to Symphony when it was a hospital ship. The lights of CoCo Cay at night set the rest of my family on fire to visit it.