Royal Caribbean Blog

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Deck 7 corner aft on Voyager and Freedom class are also outstanding cabins.  The room is standard size but the balcony is about as large as the room.  Great view out the side.  

Agree with this. On Voyager and Freedom class ships, the corner aft on deck 7 are the most desirable for view and size. On Radiance and Vision class ships, all the aft balconies have the view and

I'm back home and found some aft balcony pics from 9392 on Mariner. Looking down: To the side: Here is 9390.  Note the hinge door versus patio door, plus w

Posted Images

On 12/28/2018 at 7:04 PM, WannaCruise said:

Anyone been in an aft facing balcony?  We just switched to one on Mariner as the room looks quite large.  My main concern is if the view is limited since you can only see behind you (and you are staying still more to handle moving on the short cruises).  Also , the walk is longer.

For those that have stayed in aft facing, do you like it?  Or prefer port/starboard balcony?

Did you check you Tube yet??? I did see a video a couple of months ago and the family loved the aft cabin on the Mariner. We just had a cabin on the starboard side on deck 6 just above the life boats and we loved it. Also check Jim Zim on you tube as he also talks about aft cabins on cruise ships also.  

2 hours ago, Larry Muster said:

I’m booked in J4-7652 Junior Suite on Grandeur.  It’s a rear facing balcony.  I found a YouTube video of the same cabin on Vision of the Seas.  I assume since it’s the same class of ship that the room is likely very similiar?

We're going to be in 7154! I'll try to remember to post pictures when I get back; we're sailing in April.  You an also follow along with me on Periscope @KathLuvsGH). 

3 hours ago, Sean C. said:

Did you check you Tube yet??? I did see a video a couple of months ago and the family loved the aft cabin on the Mariner. We just had a cabin on the starboard side on deck 6 just above the life boats and we loved it. Also check Jim Zim on you tube as he also talks about aft cabins on cruise ships also.  

Thanks.  Love Jim Zim's videos, and he's quite informative. Will look for it.

2 hours ago, KathyC said:

We're going to be in 7154! I'll try to remember to post pictures when I get back; we're sailing in April.  You an also follow along with me on Periscope @KathLuvsGH). 

Enjoy your cruise. Will add you on periscope.

40 minutes ago, Hoski said:

No engine noise or vibrations.  It was a really good size balcony.  We loved watching the ship leaving ports.

Great to hear.  Thanks.

On 12/29/2018 at 6:10 AM, Vacation Crazy said:

We have our first aft balcony booked on Freedom (deck 9).  Watching the wake is so peaceful!   My only concern may be lack of privacy and shade.  It looks like the upper decks can look down on the balconies and they are very sunny.   Any feedback on this?  Thanks!

We have cabin 9404 booked on Freedom in 3 weeks! I will try to take some photos and come back to report 🙂

I'm back home and found some aft balcony pics from 9392 on Mariner.

2096132873_MarinerDay1-9.jpg.75b028c5583eb22c1337c8903764046e.jpg

586593275_MarinerDay1-8.jpg.71f62a5745dd03a36e0bb07ef9a52032.jpg

Looking down:

294564305_MarinerDay1-14.jpg.ca0642c8a7a8c0489b28e120a9af39c5.jpg

To the side:

1378403567_MarinerDay1-13.thumb.jpg.4deeab3d41974a8a136ede119e62eea1.jpg1957185841_MarinerDay1-12.jpg.d18abf58e452d49f8dc16393c6d4f716.jpg

2019076773_MarinerDay1-10.jpg.a548f4b6aef5c092a25a050f764ce124.jpg

1842412480_MarinerDay1-7.jpg.461ab22b15cad663d6e10eb133b9263c.jpg

Here is 9390.  Note the hinge door versus patio door, plus window.  It does have a support beam that runs down but don't let the pictures from this angle fool you, it's a nice balcony with side and aft views, just no loungers.

1965345914_MarinerDay1-11.jpg.bee07d98b7589342d45e8273bb7bbd3e.jpg

Mariner-4.jpg.930a1b77ba34daa5f4327a90c7f650ed.jpg

Aft panoramic view at sea:

1943085132_MarinerDay4-1.jpg.fa9dd0a92ea5735e12a60f1ff379fa7a.jpg

Our first cruise was on Explorer in 2000. Through no great forethought ended up with an aft facing balcony on Deck 10. We were hooked. We have tried to get them for our subsequent cruises. But they have been hard to get. We love the extra lounger space and the privacy. Once we could smell the diesel exhaust faintly. And, it is a longer walk to and from. But we prefer aft facing cabins if they are not all booked up.

BTW, there is a Grand Suite on all the Radiance ships on the aft Starboard side of Deck 10. I think it is 1600. We have tried to book it for years. Big cabin with and acre of balcony looking both aft and starboard. I think there must be TAs with a permanent reservation for clients like us.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vacation Crazy said:

Hope you had a great trip!  How did you like your aft balcony?  We are in a deep freeze here.  I'm dreaming of our Southern Caribbean cruise!!

We did have a wonderful trip, thank you! I have attached some pictures of stateroom 9404 on Freedom of the Seas. Honestly, we probably wouldn't book it again. I've heard great things about aft cabins and I wouldn't hesitate to book another aft, but not this corner aft on deck 9. I have read that corner aft balconies below deck 9 get bigger as you do further down and we could see that to be true by looking at the ship from port. The cabin category is 6D which I believe is the cheapest (smallest) balcony category and it definitely felt small. We had less storage than previous balconies and it had the smaller couch rather than full size.

As you can see, there was a large beam on the balcony that caused some issues with the chair arrangement. There were 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs and a table but there wasn't enough room to use all of them so the loungers stayed stacked together and were used as a foot rest 🙂 The views were great though and we have no complaints there! We knew the people next to us in cabin 9406 and so we got to see their balcony and it was HUGE! We are booked in that cabin next year and I'm excited to try that out for ourselves! I believe the room is still a bit smaller but at least the balcony is a little more functional. After a day or so, we were fine with the size of our room. 

Hope this helps everyone!

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

@lauraodonnell86   Thank you so much for the feedback and pics.  We have 9406 booked.   I looked into the aft balconies on a lower deck and they were triple occupancy.  A couple of questions.  I have read aft balconies can be very sunny.  It looks like deck 9 has very little overhang for shade??  Also, did you feel a lack of privacy with the upper decks looking down on you?   Thanks again!  Jane