Quantum.....the forgotten class?

With all the hype surrounding the Icon class it made me think how seldom the Quantum class is mentioned or even recommended to  people looking for suggestions. There are folks who are big Oasis class fans (myself included), lots of folks who prefer the size and amenities (and price point) of the Voyager/Freedom class, and even a lot who prefer the relaxed atmosphere of the Radiance class. Obviously the Quantum class fill up and lots of people still sail on them and enjoy them (myself included) but I'm not sure there are many people who profess the Quantum class to be there favorite class. 

Just my Wednesday morning musing..........

40 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Quantum ships, by design, don't get Caribbean love like all other classes.

I want to get one a Quantum ship sooner rather than later, but itineraries outside of Alaska are limited. I may be stuck with a Bayonne trip

True, Odyssey (Quantum plus) is the only 'warm weather' ship of the class.

We have enjoyed two cruises on this class. The Alaska trip was on Ovation and it was great for a colder climate. Our Med. Sea cruise was on Odyssey and the lime coconut pool deck and Playmakers made the trip. The music hall is also a bonus. I enjoy going on different ships regardless of class! I don't like to watch cruise videos pre-cruise so it is a surprise.  

5 minutes ago, PatsFanBrian said:

We’ll be on Odyssey in 45 days for a Southern Caribbean itinerary.  It will be the first time back on a Quantum class since the first sailing of Quantum back in 2014.  I know much has changed with Odyssey, I’m anxious to experience the improvements.

We have been twice on Odyssey, both times were for Mediterranean cruises, and we absolutely loved it. There is so much to do onboard that you need to force yourself to be bored. You will love it!

We did 19 nights back-to-back in February (summer sailing out of Sydney) on Ovation and absolutely loved that ship.  We have previously had the most sailings on Voyager and Freedom class than any other and really enjoy those but Quantum class was a welcome upgrade on the New Zealand and South Pacific journeys.  I almost lived at "Fish & Ships".

I've had 16 cruises on Q class and they remain a favorite of mine.  There is a lot I like about them but also they tend to have more memorable itineraries, at least some times.  Alaska, Hawaii, New Zealand, Greece, Norway, etc.  

I think they can be less in the forethought for US cruisers because this class spends a lot of time outside of the US. 

Most fly-to-cruise guests wouldn't think about flying to Bayonne to take a Caribbean cruise so the only almost permanent US market for a Q class ship are drive-to-cruise guests in the Northeast.   Odyssey has been partially based in Fort Lauderdale now for a few years but until that occurred it was really only Anthem in Bayonne for a Caribbean cruise on a Q class ship.  They started sailing in Alaska in 2019 but then in 2020 the Alaska season was lost due to the government shutdown.  That has since made a comeback but its not like Q class has a long tenure in Alaska and if Alaska isn't on your radar screen then it's a moot point.  The point is there isn't a lot of Q class opportunity for the decades in the US like other classes.

Personally I like they are different and I like many features about this class.  Just as Icon and even Oasis can be too big for some, so goes Q class.  If every ship was a scaled up or down version of another class that would get boring quickly.  

My wife and I are booked on a 9 night Greek Isles cruise aboard Odyssey next year. It’ll be the first time on Quantum class. I love Oasis class, but am excited to try something different. From the videos I’ve seen the junior suites look fantastic, also the solarium and seaplex area. Staying at the exact same hotel in Rome pre cruise as we did 13 years ago on our honeymoon, and spending a week in Florence post cruise. 

We're going on Odyssey in March and, even though the ship is still so new, I'm oddly nervous about it. The Oasis class ships are so large and open I always felt it the design of that class was a triumph for Royal. For my kids, without the water slides, the massive pool deck, the Abyss, the carousel and Boardwalk, Central Park, the big Promenade, and the Aqua Theater shows, I worry there's not going to be enough to keep them interested. It just seems like a very different environment. 

We got the lucky opportunity sail Odyssey in the inaugural season when our trip on Independence was moved Odyssey during the restart. It was our first mega ship at all and getting to enjoy it empty was really nice. At the time, I don't think I appreciated it as much as I do now, looking back on it. It's quite a classy and modern ship and I think it's the class that more traditional cruisers would appreciate if they ever wanted to try a larger ship.

Personally, I had no issues with the Esplanade (though my mom echoes most sentiments here) and I realize that may be because of the low capacity when we were on it. There was no chance for the winding path to feel clustered and crowded because there just weren't that many people.

I definitely WANT to go on another Q class but we only cruise once per year and an active vacation as our only vacation just doesn't vibe for us. I'm hoping, that when we have the opportunity to do non-Caribbean cruises, Q-class is there waiting to greet us.

We really enjoyed our 8-night Southern Caribbean sailing early last year on Odyssey. Beautiful ship class with some unique features, but we still prefer Oasis class.

The biggest issue in our limited experience (just one sailing on this class) is the crowd management/flow which is not nearly as efficient as Oasis class. The Esplanade was frequently congested since the Royal Theater and Music Hall dump directly into the Esplanade right near the pub. I was joking that it felt like the running of the bulls whenever a show let out! ... and that sailing was at reduced capacity (FEB 2022)!

image.thumb.png.6f737d5fa87752de53e4d07ef863bc51.png

Also, since it's a more traditional ship design, you effectively only have two major common decks to traverse the ship... The Esplanade and the pool deck... no Boardwalk, Central Park, larger Promenade, or larger split pool deck of course to help traverse the ship.

We will definitely sail this class again based on the itineraries they offer which are not available on Oasis class (Alaska, Bermuda occasionally, Greek Isles, 10-12 night Southern Caribbean sailings out of Bayonne, etc.).

On 12/6/2023 at 1:30 PM, PatsFanBrian said:

We’ll be on Odyssey in 45 days for a Southern Caribbean itinerary.  It will be the first time back on a Quantum class since the first sailing of Quantum back in 2014.  I know much has changed with Odyssey, I’m anxious to experience the improvements.

You are going to love it! Playmakers and the pool deck are really cool venues. We didn't really feel like the ship was any bigger than Ovation, except up on the pool deck.  We eat happily in the MDR and the food was fine. Fellow Pats fan here looking forward to tonight, yeah I know they are probably going to lose. As a 55 Y.O. I've seen it all!

Truthfully, I've only been on Ovation.

Would love to try an Oasis... (come on Royal!! Bring an Oasis down to Australia) or a Voyager class, heck I'd like to try any other class of Royal ships.

Personally for me, I think the Quantum class is great, not too large where there's too many people, but not too small where there's not really much to do.

I guess most people these days prefer the Water slides, Board Walk, Aqua Theatre etc, and since Quantum class has none of those, I guess most people just don't bother....that's just my two cents though

12 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

This lack of promenade thing is the one reason I am avoiding Odyssey.

Beautiful gorgeous wonderful ship, but I just missed the promenade. 

The Esplanade doesn't compete with promenade. The Two70 especially in colder or super hot humid climates is a really nice space. 

1 hour ago, Leroyr55 said:

Here’s an observation why do quantum class ships have a deck 13? Looking at Ovation next august and noticed this. Checked other quantum class and saw deck 13 also..

My understanding is that they are made for the Chinese market.  I'm sailing on Odyssey next month and just got my room assigned to the 12th floor.  That was when I just noticed the 13 th floor and had the same thought.  But I know Wonder was made for the Chinese market, and that doesn't have a 13th floor, so now I'm stumped.

52 minutes ago, TimeRacer said:

We're doing our first Quantum class sailing in May. (Ovation in Alaska!) Honestly? I'm worried I'm going to hate it. Our first cruise ever was on Serenade, and we absolutely fell in love with her. I'm worried the Quantum class is going to be too much for us. 

No way you will hate it, absolutely no way. Don't let these people ruin your cruise. This class of ship is great. 

12 hours ago, TimeRacer said:

We're doing our first Quantum class sailing in May. (Ovation in Alaska!) Honestly? I'm worried I'm going to hate it. Our first cruise ever was on Serenade, and we absolutely fell in love with her. I'm worried the Quantum class is going to be too much for us. 

You will enjoy it! I agree with @RCIfan1912... Don't worry! Some of us (including me) are just nitpicking. We will definitely be sailing Quantum class again, we just personally prefer Oasis class if given the choice. 

8 hours ago, TimeRacer said:

I'm going to pile on and also agree with @RCIfan1912.  You're going to love it.

15 hours ago, TimeRacer said:

I can't say you will love it, but I doubt you will hate it. It might be a lot, but I think you should watch as many videos and read as many reviews as you can. That way it prepares you. It will be a bit overwhelming coming from a smaller ship class, but the previously mention research should help to alleave the worry. 

I am still not a fan of Quantum but that's because I am a walker, and the layout is not as user-friendly as other classes. That doesn't mean I won't book this class if I needed to, I am currently book on Quantum for Alaska in 2024. 

Quantum Class is certainly not forgotten about in my book.  I'm still upset  by Royals decision to reposition Anthem to Southeast Asia.  

For people like myself who love cover bands and live music there is nothing better than Anthem in that department.  Also out of NYC, during the winter Anthem had some really great 12 night cruises that I absolutely loved taking.  I know Odyssey is taking over for Anthem out of NYC but Anthem really holds a special place for me.  

I'm doing the Transatlantic crossing on Odyssey in November of next year it will be both my and my husbands first ever Transatlantic crossing on a cruise ship.  We've been on Odyssey only once before it is a great ship but I absolutely love Anthem and I wish Royal would have left Anthem here in the US sailing out of the Northeast.

On 12/7/2023 at 2:26 PM, foxrunner said:

You are going to love it! Playmakers and the pool deck are really cool venues. We didn't really feel like the ship was any bigger than Ovation, except up on the pool deck.  We eat happily in the MDR and the food was fine. Fellow Pats fan here looking forward to tonight, yeah I know they are probably going to lose. As a 55 Y.O. I've seen it all!

Turned out to be a good game to watch after all.  I’ve been around longer than you and have sat through some pretty bad seasons. 

We have done Anthem multiple times and Odyssey once. Going on Ovation in May. We really enjoy this class, mainly because of the cold weather aspect, since we like to cruise in winter and prefer not to fly. 

We are the exception to the rule, we do not like Oasis class. Freedom class is as large as we like. Radiance class is probably my favorite. All that being said, any cruise is better than being home!