survey I just received

4 hours ago, Gilley said:

I have about 40 family members going on ICON next year and about half are first time cruisers, so I hope they keep sorrentos free at least until after we sail.  I have already told them they can eat free pizza all day and night.

This would start me off big time. Already paid for Icon next May. Air, hotel etc as well. Too late to back out without loosing money. But bought with certain expectations of what food was included. No surprise to anyone here that changing the product after making the sale and taking my money is the best way to set me off. Unhappy passengers are more trouble than they are worth. 

I don't eat the pizza, making the Sorrento's thing not too big of a deal, but little changes here and there can lead to big changes in experiences. My issue isn't that Liberty is making it ALL for profit. My issue is while you increase prices, the quality and value aren't also increasing. I have already begun to change how I sail with Royal. But being that I am D+, I can't fathom starting over on a new line that will give me the perks I earned with Royal.

Sorrento's is my go to place for something hot to eat if I am hungry after 9 p.m.  I am gluten free so at the Cafe there may or may not be a cold sandwich I can have with my dietary restrictions.  I already bring my own granola bars and cookies since if I eat in the MDR there is never a gf dessert option with the new theme menus.  If I don't get some fruit from the Windjammer to stash in our room then I am going to have to bring an even larger suitcase of my own food just so I have something to eat.  We are looking forward to our Celebrity Apex cruise next year and if the food is as good as I hope it is we won't be sailing RC again.

10 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

As a NJ couple we laugh because in essence its on par with Little Caesars.  That's not pizza its cardboard with tomato sauce and cheese!!

Pay for it? No way in hades!

consigned as a fellow NJ person but also... i ADORE thin crust pizza. i'd argue that our local places are the best in the biz. but we aren't expect THAT when we dive into some sorrentos 😂 just want a quick bite to hit the spot!

also i echo @Ampurp85 with the diamond/diamond + shout out -- but my thoughts were more along the lines of, why would i pay for a beverage package if i have daily vouchers??

now if they take the vouchers away, i would probably riot in the streets. 😅

9 hours ago, ScottD said:

I think Icon is gonna have TONS of included food, so they should be good either way. 

i mean is it really included, considering the price of that fare???

KIDDING IM KIDDING

2 hours ago, WAYNO said:

Sorento's is a place to get a snack when everything else is closed.  The pizza is far from great, and the sandwiches are not much better.

Would I pay extra for them?  No.

Would I forego a cruise if they started charging for Sorento's?  No.

I was asked ten different ways on this survey.  I could not answer any differently, regardless of how the question(s) were asked. 🤔

Were you asked if you would forego a cruise if there were no free late night food options?

Would you pay for sorrento's if that was the only late night option open?

But how sad people eating late night snacks in their cabins they got hours earlier from the WJ. And the rest ordering room service (or trying to). The pizza and congregating on the promenade late evening with music still playing someplace and people watching would go away, so everyone could return to their cabin for old snacks or room service. It would effect the party vibe and social feeling. It's also an activity for families with children after a show. Something to do. I think it's more than just cost and money. Just kinda sad.

I wish there were more late night options. 

Royal is gonna drop the ball if they start nickel and diming cruisers on top of the high prices and low to no perks included with their cruises.

I mean...if I book a cruise and I cant eat after 9pm unless I pay for it....that's NOT how cruising has ever been.

First it was midnight buffets gone..then you had to pay for room service to eat, now you wont be able to get a slice of pizza without paying for it....

I talk, read, study almost daily the cruise industry....Royal cant keep going like this. 

On 8/9/2023 at 6:46 PM, ScottD said:

It's THE only option for food after a certain time on most ships (except those weird sandwiches at Cafe promenade). And also the main source of food for my 11 yr old. I'd definitely be upset if they started charging...my kid would need a pizza package like we have for drinks

It's also one of the few places my celiac daughter can get a snack/meal off hours. Oasis has been extremely disappointing for her. The scaled down MDR menus have really limited her options, and they no longer have the GF symbol to help her, so she has to keep asking, and our headwaiter has not gone a good job or been proactive in helping her. He mainly gets to tell her no, and hasn't, even after several nights, and being told how helpful it would be, gone to the trouble of finding out ahead of dinner what things could be modified. It's been very frustrating for her. I'm pretty easy to please, and eat most things, so I'm ok. We're staying on as a B2B, but next week we have UDP, and she's already excited about 150 CP, since the menu outside the restaurant shows several GF options. Chops and Giovanni's table we've eaten at before on other ships, so 🤞 we have good luck there also. Breakfast in MDR is ok, but the other day she asked for over easy eggs and gf toast, and they brought her eggs without the toast, and it took them several minutes to bring up untoasted bread, which meant her yolks were cold when she went to eat them. Her post cruise survey is going to be very negative in the food area. 

1 hour ago, MaryCS62 said:

The scaled down MDR menus have really limited her options, and they no longer have the GF symbol to help her, so she has to keep asking, and our headwaiter has not gone a good job or been proactive in helping her. He mainly gets to tell her no, and hasn't, even after several nights, and being told how helpful it would be, gone to the trouble of finding out ahead of dinner what things could be modified.

My wife has had no issue having items adapted as GF. Only one thing so far with the new menus (that meat pie on British night, she just wanted the filling, not even the pastry part) have they said "no we can't adapt it"

@MaryCS62have you and your daughter tried El Loco Fresh on Oasis ?  I loved eating there and had about 5 things that I could eat safely.  We then went on Wonder and headed straight to El Loco Fresh because I loved the warm chips with cheese sauce.  Nope, cheese sauce was not gluten free on Wonder so take advantage of it while you are Oasis.

Also, go to the Cafe Promenade or the Windjammer and ask for the Udi's Cookies.  They keep them frozen and have Snickerdoodle or Chocolate Chip.  I would take a cookie to dinner with me as with the new menus there are no GF options.  We are looking forward to Celebrity Cruises next year because we have heard the food is better and they still have their menus labeled with GF not just Vegan.  In the Buffet on Celebrity they list all GF and/or Vegan on the label card for each item so you don't have to keep asking if you can have something.

I have nothing to add about the Sorrento's situation that hasn't already been said, but did want to touch on the dining package becoming a set dollar value versus a set number of meals. With the number of additional opportunities to spend on food in locations not covered by the current dining package aboard Royal's ships, this is probably the easiest way to bring those locations into the fold. I'm making the assumption here that the credit could be used for lobster or the Chops filet in the MDR or tapas at Vintages and so on. With the amount of food currently offered during specialty dining, I'm sure Royal's had many post-cruise surveys saying it was just too much and they'd like an à la carte option during specialty dining. And because Royal likes money, I'd expect there to be a prix fixe menu available at each restaurant like IZUMI sushi has. Which leads to this. Royal could sell reservations including the prix fixe menu in the cruise planner like they're currently doing. Royal could also have two variations of dining packages: one that acts like the current dining packages, but limits the purchaser to the prix fixe menu (like IZUMI sushi); and another that acts like arcade credits for dining, buy X value for 20% (or whatever) off for use on dining anywhere aboard the ship. Thus they'd be able to capture people who don't think they'd eat enough for specialty dining and people who don't want to concern themselves with the cost once aboard the ship.

2 hours ago, Montemy2419 said:

@MaryCS62have you and your daughter tried El Loco Fresh on Oasis ?  I loved eating there and had about 5 things that I could eat safely.  We then went on Wonder and headed straight to El Loco Fresh because I loved the warm chips with cheese sauce.  Nope, cheese sauce was not gluten free on Wonder so take advantage of it while you are Oasis.

Also, go to the Cafe Promenade or the Windjammer and ask for the Udi's Cookies.  They keep them frozen and have Snickerdoodle or Chocolate Chip.  I would take a cookie to dinner with me as with the new menus there are no GF options.  We are looking forward to Celebrity Cruises next year because we have heard the food is better and they still have their menus labeled with GF not just Vegan.  In the Buffet on Celebrity they list all GF and/or Vegan on the label card for each item so you don't have to keep asking if you can have something.

She is concerned about places like El loco fresh because as a buffet style place, there is a high chance of cross contamination, and she is VERY sensitive to even trace gluten. We also had an issue in the Solarium bistro this afternoon when she asked the chef for help, and he told her the couscous was gluten free!! (It is not, for those who don't know). He just kept on talking over her, and after that, she felt she couldn't trust anything he said. It's just been kind of a mess this past several days, and we've been looking forward to this for a long time. 

17 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

This was just a survey and therefore, not warranted any undue stress. 

Sadly someone did point out that surveys over the past 9 months did actually turn out to come true. Remember people said the same thing you just did about menu's changing, housekeeping, etc. Unfortunately all did come to pass. Let's hope this breaks the trend, but I doubt it. 

8 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Sadly someone did point out that surveys over the past 9 months did actually turn out to come true. Remember people said the same thing you just did about menu's changing, housekeeping, etc. Unfortunately all did come to pass. Let's hope this breaks the trend, but I doubt it. 

So you expect axe throwing to appear in the immediate future too? There were lots of questions in that survey, not just about Sorrento's.

3 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Maybe. But really was talking about the pizza. And the fact that the past surveys over the past year have actually come to pass is just that, fact. 

My point was that survey asked about a bunch of different things. Using your logic, every suggestion will come to pass.

My point is after the past 12 months saying it's just a survey doesn't hold the same weight. Not by recent odds. I guess I thought reasonable people would take nothing is 100% certain, till it's certain, as a given. And didn't needed to actually be said. Of course no done deals yet. But fact is surveys have become more of an unofficial announcement than a survey in recent months. Therefore should be taken as a real possibility.

1 minute ago, CanHardlyWait said:

My point is after the past 12 months saying it's just a survey doesn't hold the same weight. Not by recent odds. I guess I thought reasonable people would take nothing is 100% certain, till it's certain, as a given. And didn't needed to actually be said. Of course no done deals yet. But fact is surveys have become more of an unofficial announcement than a survey in recent months. Therefore should be taken as a real possibility.

Agreed. Something’s cooking in Miami for sure. My wallet senses a disturbance in the force. 

22 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

So, to be that person. The surveys in regard to menu changes were surveys built around that topic. Which is quite different than an overall survey that had a bunch of questions......which is what the survey in question had. 

I truly believe based on the past 12 months they baked food related changes/charges/cuts into a larger survey. You could be right. I could be right. But the evidence of surveys becoming reality is just as strong as your specific menu servey theory. 

18 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

I truly believe based on the past 12 months they baked food related changes/charges/cuts into a larger survey. You could be right. I could be right. But the evidence of surveys becoming reality is just as strong as your specific menu servey theory. 

My point isn't about who is right or wrong, more about not getting too anxious about something that hasn't been announced.

I think Royal was data mining with that survey, trying to decide what they may or may not offer on new ships. An example would be Fish and Ships, some items are free on certain ships, while others are only for a fee. I could see them changing Sorrento's' on Icon 2 and other builds. 

9 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

My point isn't about who is right or wrong, more about not getting too anxious about something that hasn't been announced.

I think Royal was data mining with that survey, trying to decide what they may or may not offer on new ships. An example would be Fish and Ships, some items are free on certain ships, while others are only for a fee. I could see them changing Sorrento's' on Icon 2 and other builds. 

It better be better pizza than what is offered now. I would not pay for Sorentos pizza. Its good enough and serves it's purpose but not at a charge. 

This is exactly like the surveys WDW was sending me in the year before the pandemic.  That was followed by ever higher prices for less return and the attempt to monetize everything.  It worked for for a period of time as guest spending went through the roof, but now the Florida parks are empty for the summer season.

I had enough and all my Disney money was added to cruise spending.  If Royal keeps down this path of nickel and diming everything, I will find a new way to spend my money again.  It is the only way a business will learn.