Utopia Of the Seas

Royal Caribbean International (RCI) plans to have one of its newest – and the second largest ship in its fleet – sail an all-Bahamas itinerary when it hits the seas next summer, the company’s Chief Product Innovation Officer Jay Schneider revealed last week.

https://thenassauguardian.com/new-royal-caribbean-ship-will-feature-all-bahamas-itinerary/

16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Royal Caribbean International (RCI) plans to have one of its newest – and the second largest ship in its fleet – sail an all-Bahamas itinerary when it hits the seas next summer, the company’s Chief Product Innovation Officer Jay Schneider revealed last week.

https://thenassauguardian.com/new-royal-caribbean-ship-will-feature-all-bahamas-itinerary/

OMG!!!

If this is true that is awesome news I absolutely love Oasis Class ships can wait for Utopia to arrive. 

Putting the ship on an all-Bahamas itinerary sounds temporary (probably until they find her a permanent home) but I've got my credit card ready to book a crown loft on a B2B cruise.

Frequent, knowledgeable cruisers had pretty much figured out that Utopia would likely be doing the 3 and 4-nighters from PC quite some time ago.

As someone who sails exclusively from PC out of convenience, this is pretty cool except for the prices... which are already much higher than a year ago (and that's on Indy). I'm afraid to see the prices for Utopia once released. 🙈

A travel agent friend of mine was told much the same thing on an RCI call in response to the question "what are the plans to replace Allure on the Bahamas run out of Canaveral next year".

Be interesting to see what this becomes long term with Allure apparently staying on the Bahamas run but just moving back down the road to Miami.

Price willing this might get me on 4 weekend Oasis class cruises next year 🙂

Come Royal, consider building Oasis capable port on the left coast and a private Resort area(similar to Labadee) in Mexico somewhere. Btw, start having more overnight stops in Seattle, San Fran, LA...to boost bookings. Come on...it's not hard. Have regular LA to HNL cruises, to & fro, thru Ensenada or a new Resort area(again, similar to Labadee).

6 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Come Royal, consider building Oasis capable port on the left coast and a private Resort area(similar to Labadee) in Mexico somewhere. Btw, start having more overnight stops in Seattle, San Fran, LA...to boost bookings. Come on...it's not hard. Have regular LA to HNL cruises, to & fro, thru Ensenada or a new Resort area(again, similar to Labadee).

I honestly don't know the answer to this but can the Port of Long Beach even handle an Oasis Class ship at their cruise terminals?

I would love to see Royal do more out west perhaps they could send one of their Freedom Class ships out west to join Navigator permanently.  

If Royal has to build the infrastructure both at Long Beach and also at ports along the Baja peninsula and Western ports in Mexico just to accommodate on Oasis Class ship does any potential ROI (return on investment) outweigh the cost to bring an Oasis class ship out west to LA?   Royal knows they will make money hand over fist in the Eastern, Western and Southern Caribbean which is why they continue to invest so much money in the Caribbean.  Judging from the size of ships both NCL and Carnival sail out of LA Royal could place a Freedom Class or even a Quantum Class ship out west along side Navigator with minimum upfront cost. 

On 4/28/2023 at 8:05 AM, Zambia-Zaire said:

"Not that hard"  

Are you serious?   It's incredibly complex to build a new port on the West coast.  The terrain and geography just don't lend itself and the risk of the cartel wrecking it all is very real.  Mexico is the last place cruise lines are going to invest $200 million only to see it lost with one cartel event. 

10 hours ago, twangster said:

"Not that hard"  

Are you serious?   It's incredibly complex to build a new port on the West coast.  The terrain and geography just don't lend itself and the risk of the cartel wrecking it all is very real.  Mexico is the last place cruise lines are going to invest $200 million only to see it lost with one cartel event. 

…not to mention the extremely unfavorable environmental regulations of CA…

On 4/27/2023 at 12:55 PM, JasonOasis said:

OMG!!!

If this is true that is awesome news I absolutely love Oasis Class ships can wait for Utopia to arrive. 

Putting the ship on an all-Bahamas itinerary sounds temporary (probably until they find her a permanent home) but I've got my credit card ready to book a crown loft on a B2B cruise.

Isn't Utopia LNG?  If so could fuel logistics be contribute to the proposed itineraries?

On 1/13/2023 at 2:15 PM, smokeybandit said:

If Utopia is destined for the Asian market, there might not be as much pomp and circumstance in the US market about it.

There may not be any Pomp depending on the Circumstance?

1 hour ago, twangster said:

No LNG in Port Canaveral.  It's barged in from Georgia.  That hasn't stopped two LNG ships in PCN with more coming.  

I learn new things ...

I recall hearing about LNG in Port Canaveral but turns out twangster is correct, they don't have LNG facilities but they do provide LNG refueling  in Port Canaveral by transferring the fuel from another ship ... who knew.

https://www.portcanaveral.com/About/LNG-at-Port-Canaveral

2 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

I recall hearing about LNG in Port Canaveral but turns out twangster is correct, they don't have LNG facilities but they do provide LNG refueling  in Port Canaveral by transferring the fuel from another ship ... who knew

Twangster knew and is correct as the day is long. 

𝙐𝙏𝙊𝙋𝙄𝘼 𝙊𝙁 𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙎𝙀𝘼𝙎 ! ⚜️🔱
𝘊𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘶𝘱𝘵𝘢𝘥𝘦𝘴:
🧭 AZIPODS PROPELLER ⚙️

Always on the cutting edge of technology, Royal Caribbean uses azipods to propel and safely maneuver its ships on the high seas.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrwGyGTogBy/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

19 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

I learn new things ...

I recall hearing about LNG in Port Canaveral but turns out twangster is correct, they don't have LNG facilities but they do provide LNG refueling  in Port Canaveral by transferring the fuel from another ship ... who knew.

https://www.portcanaveral.com/About/LNG-at-Port-Canaveral

Thinking about it, all fuels are  moved via tanker if pipelines are not available.  At many ports you'll see a refueling tanker position next to the ship to offload diesel. In the long term I would think storage infrastructure will be built so they wouldn't have to move fuel from GA.  Is it safer and more cost effective to frequently move the fueling station a few hundred miles, or establish a nearby storage facility to offload LNG.  Obviously some cost and risk management trades.

25 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Thinking about it, all fuels are  moved via tanker if pipelines are not available.  At many ports you'll see a refueling tanker position next to the ship to offload diesel. In the long term I would think storage infrastructure will be built so they wouldn't have to move fuel from GA.  Is it safer and more cost effective to frequently move the fueling station a few hundred miles, or establish a nearby storage facility to offload LNG.  Obviously some cost and risk management trades.

That's true until you consider the politics.  

When they first talked about LNG in PCN there was a huge outcry from local residents convinced the port would blow up.  So they went with barges that stay out at sea between bunkerings.

It's nearly impossible to accomplish anything in America due to special interest groups. 

21 hours ago, twangster said:

That's true until you consider the politics.  

When they first talked about LNG in PCN there was a huge outcry from local residents convinced the port would blow up.  So they went with barges that stay out at sea between bunkerings.

It's nearly impossible to accomplish anything in America due to special interest groups. 

The same geographic area they've launched rockets for 50+ years.   (and they do blow up occasionally)

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Exactly.   It's not rocket science...well I guess it is.  

Those same people have no idea that the train that runs the east coast also runs on CNG along with all the trash trucks parked in front of their houses.

So now that we’re pretty sure she’s coming to PC to replace Allure and mention of the China market re-opening sometime in 2024, do you think Wonder will head to the far East where she was originally intended to go? That would leave PC without a 7 night oasis though. 

On 5/5/2023 at 1:58 PM, Jill said:

So now that we’re pretty sure she’s coming to PC to replace Allure and mention of the China market re-opening sometime in 2024, do you think Wonder will head to the far East where she was originally intended to go? That would leave PC without a 7 night oasis though. 

I still don’t see Utopia on 3 & 4 night Bahamas sailings. Seems like an absolute waste of a massive ship. If Wonder moves out of PC then Utopia does the 7 night PDCC & Caribbean routes IMHO. 

35 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I still don’t see Utopia on 3 & 4 night Bahamas sailings. Seems like an absolute waste of a massive ship. If Wonder moves out of PC then Utopia does the 7 night PDCC & Caribbean routes IMHO. 

From what I've read, it actually maximizes revenue for RC. More people at Cococay and the prices for short cruises are already getting crazy on smaller ships.

I believe Disney also does well doing short cruises with some big ship out of PC so RC is following along.

It likely won't be permanent, but my impression is that it is almost a certainty that Utopia will be doing those short cruises to start.

54 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

It's happening. 

First of all they can charge higher fares for new ship fever and get away it.  $10,000 for a 7 night cruise in a balcony is pushing many peoples limits but $4,000 for a 3 night sailing on a brand new ship will get people to "splurge".

Secondly, it's all about the money printing machine CoCoCay.  Utopia will stay until another Icon class is ready to take over.  More people means more money being printed at Cococay.    It's all about putting as many bodies at PDCC as possible and that means Utopia will be there a lot, often sharing with Icon or other OA class ships, and more rarely something smaller than OA class at PDCC. 

Freedom and Voyager class aren't big enough to maximize PDCC's revenue generating potential. 

23 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

after a few visits with 2 Freedom class on the island at the same time I am already leaning towards staying on the ship

To each his own. Our last 3 trips were with 2 Freedom class ships there and we had no issue with the crowds whatsoever.

Looking forward to being there alone on Wonder next month and possibly a couple more times next year.

1 hour ago, jticarruthers said:

Twangster I think you are spot on and it makes sense from Royal's perspective but I after a few visits with 2 Freedom class on the island at the same time I am already leaning towards staying on the ship ... make it an Oasis and an Icon and I will be headed to the solarium 🙂

Ditto

5 hours ago, twangster said:

It's happening. 

First of all they can charge higher fares for new ship fever and get away it.  $10,000 for a 7 night cruise in a balcony is pushing many peoples limits but $4,000 for a 3 night sailing on a brand new ship will get people to "splurge".

Secondly, it's all about the money printing machine CoCoCay.  Utopia will stay until another Icon class is ready to take over.  More people means more money being printed at Cococay.    It's all about putting as many bodies at PDCC as possible and that means Utopia will be there a lot, often sharing with Icon or other OA class ships, and more rarely something smaller than OA class at PDCC. 

Freedom and Voyager class aren't big enough to maximize PDCC's revenue generating potential. 

Yep, this does make sense. I personally would rather sail Utopia to St Maarten and enjoy an ice cold Dutch beer at Big Baastards beach club than only get a 4 day vacation on that massive ship. It’s all about revenue though at this point. 

44 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Yep, this does make sense. I personally would rather sail Utopia to St Maarten and enjoy an ice cold Dutch beer at Big Baastards beach club than only get a 4 day vacation on that massive ship. It’s all about revenue though at this point. 

You can do that on Wonder. They're not going to be all that dissimilar AFAIK.

Regardless, my main point is Utopia doing the short cruises just means PC will have 2 Oasis class ships doing the 7 and 3/4 instead of a smaller ship doing the 3/4. So unless there's something so unique on Utopia that would make someone take a short cruise (or a 3/4 B2B) just for the ship, it really doesn't affect someone like you (or me) who would prefer a 7-night Caribbean cruise.

Now when we wind up with an Icon class ship here, then things become different.

27 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

You can do that on Wonder. They're not going to be all that dissimilar AFAIK.

Regardless, my main point is Utopia doing the short cruises just means PC will have 2 Oasis class ships doing the 7 and 3/4 instead of a smaller ship doing the 3/4. So unless there's something so unique on Utopia that would make someone take a short cruise (or a 3/4 B2B) just for the ship, it really doesn't affect someone like you (or me) who would prefer a 7-night Caribbean cruise.

Now when we wind up with an Icon class ship here, then things become different.

I agree re: Wonder. An icon class ship in PC will change everything! I realized over the past few years that I prefer PC to the other FL options (even though I live .5 miles from Port Everglades). I don’t mind the drive and my kids are young enough to enjoy a pre cruise vacation at Disney. I would really enjoy an Icon class ship option in PC!

17 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I agree re: Wonder. An icon class ship in PC will change everything! I realized over the past few years that I prefer PC to the other FL options (even though I live .5 miles from Port Everglades). I don’t mind the drive and my kids are young enough to enjoy a pre cruise vacation at Disney. I would really enjoy an Icon class ship option in PC!

Ha, talk about different strokes... I refuse to drive anywhere other than PC. The convenience is too appealing and that's with an hour drive. If I had a half mile drive...

Given your drive also involves taking kids to Disney (which is close enough to me that we hear the MK fireworks every night), that makes sense (not that it has to, we all like different things). I have sailed from Port Everglades twice although once was 21 years ago for my first ever cruise (honeymoon on Voyager when it was new-ish) so I barely remember it. PC does run smoothly.

I'm also not overly excited about Icon but I'll admit I've only glanced at it so I really shouldn't pass judgment.

• 2 weeks later...