Earliest Boarding Time?

What's the earliest boarding time that's usually available on Royal?  So far, the earliest I've seen has been 12:00 noon.  I presume the earlier a person checks-in (via the Royal app) prior to the cruise, the earlier boarding time they would receive?  Wondering what time is the earliest slot in the quest to be one of the first and enjoy more time onboard.

I've only taken 3 Royal Caribbean cruises out of Bayonne including the cruise I'm on now (all my other cruises have either been out of Florida or out of Europe) and Bayonne cruise terminal the check-in process is still the mess that I remember from a few years back.  When we cruised on Symphony a few months ago out of Miami check-in was smooth there were no long lines. That was not the case at Bayonne the line stretched around the terminal because everyone showed up nearly at the same time and they just did first come first served check-in time didn't matter at all.  Everyone showed up and check-in and was onboard so early that we actually left Bayonne earlier than our scheduled departure time. The captain came over the PA about 45 minutes early to announce they were closing the doors everyone is onboard and we would be casting off shortly.

Royal definitely needs to take another look at their terminal in Bayonne because once they do go to 100% capacity a fully load Oasis of the Seas leaving Bayonne in the summer the check-in process is going to be a nightmare.    

33 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

I've only taken 3 Royal Caribbean cruises out of Bayonne including the cruise I'm on now (all my other cruises have either been out of Florida or out of Europe) and Bayonne cruise terminal the check-in process is still the mess that I remember from a few years back.  When we cruised on Symphony a few months ago out of Miami check-in was smooth there were no long lines. That was not the case at Bayonne the line stretched around the terminal because everyone showed up nearly at the same time and they just did first come first served check-in time didn't matter at all.  Everyone showed up and check-in and was onboard so early that we actually left Bayonne earlier than our scheduled departure time. The captain came over the PA about 45 minutes early to announce they were closing the doors everyone is onboard and we would be casting off shortly.

Royal definitely needs to take another look at their terminal in Bayonne because once they do go to 100% capacity a fully load Oasis of the Seas leaving Bayonne in the summer the check-in process is going to be a nightmare.    

Most of my cruises came out of Bayonne. I did not experience what you post.  4 cruises in Nov-DEC  2021.  I arrive mostly at 11-12, never waited more than 15 minutes at most.  I check in the earliest on the app as soon as I get the email for check in.   

1 hour ago, Edmund said:

Most of my cruises came out of Bayonne. I did not experience what you post.  4 cruises in Nov-DEC  2021.  I arrive mostly at 11-12, never waited more than 15 minutes at most.  I check in the earliest on the app as soon as I get the email for check in.   

Our check-in time was 12 - 12:30 we arrived at 12:15 and the line was already around the building we went to the front the line assuming some of the people who arrived early were being told to wait out side the employee said it was first come first serve and went simply we to the end of the line.  I'm glad that hasn't been your experience but I never arrive at a cruise port before 12 noon and the 3 times I've cruised out of Bayonne even the 2 times before COVID the lines are simply ridiculous the terminal isn't big enough. 

5 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

Our check-in time was 12 - 12:30 we arrived at 12:15 and the line was already around the building we went to the front the line assuming some of the people who arrived early were being told to wait out side the employee said it was first come first serve and went simply we to the end of the line.  I'm glad that hasn't been your experience but I never arrive at a cruise port before 12 noon and the 3 times I've cruised out of Bayonne even the 2 times before COVID the lines are simply ridiculous the terminal isn't big enough. 

Sorry about that experience!  I think they have been very strict about check in times now to avoid that. I thought the terminal was actually very big.  Lines can be long, but its the length of time that matters. How long did you have to wait?

1 hour ago, Edmund said:

Sorry about that experience!  I think they have been very strict about check in times now to avoid that. I thought the terminal was actually very big.  Lines can be long, but its the length of time that matters. How long did you have to wait?

It took around 35 minutes just to get inside the terminal building do to social distancing they were only allowing so many people in at one time.  I’m use to the cold so it didn’t bother me to be outside but for this cruise here it was first come first serve having a dedicated check-in time was meaningless.

I remember when they use to make you take a seat in Bayonne after passing through security and you had to wait until someone came around to check you in.  Thank God there was none of that it was through security,  straight to check-in and board the ship. I just think seeing what Royal has done with terminals in Florida and in Europe they could do much better at Bayonne another thing that stuck me is they still don’t have a dedicated door for suite guest to enter the terminal.  It wasn’t until after we passed through security that we were directed to the suite check-in area.

53 minutes ago, Meplus2 said:

How early before the cruise date does the online check in normally appear? 30/60/90 days?  Cruising in may. 

24 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I have the same question as we are like under 120 days out and still no sign of opening up.

I am 90 days out, sail date is 7 May. The app says my check in will open on 22 March.

So on my upcoming Symphony sailing I had an original time of 1130am, then the other day my friend noticed earlier check in times were available , so the group of us changed it to 10am, which was the earliest offered, and then a day later we all get an email saying it was a glitch and we need to pick another time, well of course the 1130am time wasn't available anymore so now it's 1pm 😞

But my printed set sail pass still shows 1130am ...hmm

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl1976 said:

Check-in time gets looked at by the folks outside the terminal letting people into the building or into the queue lines set up outside the doors.  These folks don't have computers and are just gatekeepers to the terminal 😉

6 hours ago, Cruisegirl1976 said:

So on my upcoming Symphony sailing I had an original time of 1130am, then the other day my friend noticed earlier check in times were available , so the group of us changed it to 10am, which was the earliest offered, and then a day later we all get an email saying it was a glitch and we need to pick another time, well of course the 1130am time wasn't available anymore so now it's 1pm 😞

I'm guessing you should still come at 11:30.  You shouldn't be penalized for trying to get an earlier time slot.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I have 11:30 for Symphony this Saturday.  I was going to look for an earlier time slot but now I'm not going to.

16 hours ago, need2cruz said:

I'm guessing you should still come at 11:30.  You shouldn't be penalized for trying to get an earlier time slot.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I have 11:30 for Symphony this Saturday.  I was going to look for an earlier time slot but now I'm not going to.

yeah.. our group is going to try for the original time spot, doesn't hurt to try. 

We've done 3 cruises out of Bayonne starting in October. I sort of agree with @JasonOasis they have everyone lined up outside and you have to just ignore the line and get to the front for your boarding time. It's all quite chaotic. Our last cruise in January we had an 11am time, we got an email the night before that they had pushed back boarding 1 hour. We got to the port at 11:30 the line was already around the building all the way to the end of the parking garage. They did come down the line and call out suite guests to go to the front. My wife is handicapped and in a scooter, they finally allowed her to go to the front and there they were looking at boarding times to allow people into the terminal. The whole process took about 45 minutes. Miserably cold weather also. We just got 11am for our Wonder cruise hoping the FT Lauderdale cruise port is better.

34 minutes ago, KevinJ said:

We've done 3 cruises out of Bayonne starting in October. I sort of agree with @JasonOasis they have everyone lined up outside and you have to just ignore the line and get to the front for your boarding time. It's all quite chaotic. Our last cruise in January we had an 11am time, we got an email the night before that they had pushed back boarding 1 hour. We got to the port at 11:30 the line was already around the building all the way to the end of the parking garage. They did come down the line and call out suite guests to go to the front. My wife is handicapped and in a scooter, they finally allowed her to go to the front and there they were looking at boarding times to allow people into the terminal. The whole process took about 45 minutes. Miserably cold weather also. We just got 11am for our Wonder cruise hoping the FT Lauderdale cruise port is better.

So they are honouring check in priority status? This I did not know.  Suites/Diamond...supersede your booked in check in and boarding?

I bought the Key and it allows me an earlier check in time. 

When I checked in online the earliest I could get was 12:00 and that is my official check in on my documents. But, I got an email this week for the Key, and it said I can check in at 11:30 - 12:00 with the other people who have the Key. 

Just returned from 2/6 Odyssey sailing from FLL.  We had a 10:30 arrival time (booked 30 days out when online appointments opened).

We arrived at about 10:20, while others were queued up outside after they verified our time we went right in, however we had to wait for security to open at about 10:35.  Inside, check-in was quick but then went to holding area awaiting ship to allow boarding at about 11:15, but rooms weren't ready until 1-1:30.

On 2/5/2022 at 7:37 AM, JohnK6404 said:

We had 10:30 for 2/12/22 Odyssey (grabbed it as soon as check-in opened up after midnight), but switched to 11:00 so we can board with our traveling buddies who missed that check-in window.

How many days before sailing does the check-in opens up? I reserved my cruise on 14th, paid yesterday and got an immediate check-in option and got 1pm for 3/6 Odyssey.

We will be in FLL overnight so wondering what happens if I just arrive early?

Mainly don't want to miss reserving the activities (north star, ripcord etc).