Jump to content

C&A membership percentages (by level)


Dave462wv
 Share

Recommended Posts

Prior to the shutdown based on my own tracking for the cruises I sailed it was:

Gold 43.1%

Platinum 18.8%

Emerald 8.7%

Diamond 17.9%

Diamond Plus 10%

Pinnacle 1.5%

However consider that I tended to sail longer voyages that often skewed to more top elite and less lower tiers on board.  

The numbers shown are the distribution within the C&A Society, not percentage of each tier onboard the ship.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They broke this down on our last cruise and while I do not have the final percentages Gold was first, followed by Emerald, Diamond, Diamond+, Platinum then Pinnacle. It was surprising to see that the number of Diamonds was a pretty high percentage and Platinum was low on the list but it does mostly follow twangster's breakdown. It was a West Coast trip so with Royal not having been there for 8 years the folks from around there that cruise with Royal are really serious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@mac66, apprentice the insight and feedback. 

We had some general discussions on our last cruise w/ various level C&A members; appears we may not have a public forum or media platform for particular passenger counts (ongoing trend post-pandemic), along with percentage (or number) of C&A at each level.  The conversation left us wondering if a blog or website posted the up-to-date percentage of C&A members in whole...which lead me here 🙂

as a side note, last cruise was reporting:

Gold: 39.6%

Platinum: 17.5%

Emerald: 9.1%

Diamond: 20.7%

Diamond +: 12.0%

Pinnacle: 1.1%

pretty consistent with @twangster percentages. 

Again, appreciate your time and feedback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would be willing to bet the percentages of Diamond and Diamond plus will be going up in 2020 with all the double-point cruises. We booked a suite on a 7-night cruise in January and we are embarking as gold members and disembarking as emerald. Assuming our plans don't get canceled, we will be adding 4 more to the diamond numbers in June of 2020. I expect there are many more like us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Tony C said:

I would be willing to bet the percentages of Diamond and Diamond plus will be going up in 2020 with all the double-point cruises. We booked a suite on a 7-night cruise in January and we are embarking as gold members and disembarking as emerald. Assuming our plans don't get canceled, we will be adding 4 more to the diamond numbers in June of 2020. I expect there are many more like us.

Well, my mother went from Platinum to Diamond with one cruise in October, so you're probably right! 😄 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Tony C said:

I would be willing to bet the percentages of Diamond and Diamond plus will be going up in 2020 with all the double-point cruises. We booked a suite on a 7-night cruise in January and we are embarking as gold members and disembarking as emerald. Assuming our plans don't get canceled, we will be adding 4 more to the diamond numbers in June of 2020. I expect there are many more like us.

 

WIth no one accumulating points for a year plus, I don't think those tiers will jump all that much above and beyond what they naturally would have with no shutdown.

 

Certainly some will take advantage, but I don't think it will be overly obvious in the numbers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm also of the opinion that for the most part the double points promo isn't creating a change in overall numbers that wouldn't have occured anyways.  Many people still aren't cruising.  Some are just having their first restart cruise this month, or next month, or in March of 2022.

Cruising may be back but it's not back like it was in 2019 so numbers are still depressed below where they should be.  Sixteen months of no cruises combined with six to twelve months of reduced capacity is not going to be overcome by a double points promo that ran for a couple of months.

Rising tier numbers is a good problem to have for Royal.

It's a loyalty program with a single purpose - get people to come back and book more cruises.

Even today Royal needs people booking more cruises.

The impact of the pandemic is not done with the cruise industry yet.  This isn't over.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, twangster said:

The impact of the pandemic is not done with the cruise industry yet.  This isn't over.  

WOW, we were having this exact conversation this morning and agree.  Won't say anything more regarding this statement as I don't want to go to "Matt's time out corner"

Great minds!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We made diamond on our cruise two years ago (Dec 2019) went on our first cruise as diamonds this month (Dec 2021) after a 2 year hiatus. Had 6 cruises canceled in the last 2 years. (4 on X, 2 on RCI)

I think diamond is as high as we are going to go. It's a long road from diamond to diamond + and we tend to sail Celebrity more often than Royal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2021 at 12:35 PM, twangster said:

I'm also of the opinion that for the most part the double points promo isn't creating a change in overall numbers that wouldn't have occured anyways.  Many people still aren't cruising.  Some are just having their first restart cruise this month, or next month, or in March of 2022.

Cruising may be back but it's not back like it was in 2019 so numbers are still depressed below where they should be.  Sixteen months of no cruises combined with six to twelve months of reduced capacity is not going to be overcome by a double points promo that ran for a couple of months.

Rising tier numbers is a good problem to have for Royal.

It's a loyalty program with a single purpose - get people to come back and book more cruises.

Even today Royal needs people booking more cruises.

The impact of the pandemic is not done with the cruise industry yet.  This isn't over.  

We will reach Diamond Plus after our next cruise.  I have said before, at our age the jump from 175 nights to 700 nights to reach Pinnacle is just too great for us to reach.  I see Diamond Plus as our last realistic C&A tier and feel more freedom to try other cruise lines without the regret of not accumulating more C&A nights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

What’s the over/under on when Royal Caribbean revamps the current tiers and makes “adjustments” which will demote across the board?

Doubtful. Royal already has the most tiers of any cruise line loyalty program

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Or Diamond Plus becomes Sapphire and they add a Sapphire Plus. Requirements don't change to reach a level but the benefits accrued all require one step higher on the ladder.

I'd love for Royal to put another level between D+ and Pinnacle, but I don't think they'll do it.  There is something about goals that are difficult to achieve that attract people.  If they make Pinnacle feel easier to reach, it will somehow lose its drawing power.  My two cents...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I'd love for Royal to put another level between D+ and Pinnacle, but I don't think they'll do it.  There is something about goals that are difficult to achieve that attract people.  If they make Pinnacle feel easier to reach, it will somehow lose its drawing power.  My two cents...

They informally do with the 340 point mark with the 150% solo supplement threshold and also the cheers/meal with an officer/backstage tours and extra gift. There's also another bonus gift at the 525 mark.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

They informally do with the 340 point mark with the 150% solo supplement threshold and also the cheers/meal with an officer/backstage tours and extra gift. There's also another bonus gift at the 525 mark.

Not to mention the glass blocks at 140 and every 70 additional points. There are a bunch of "goals" along the way to Pinnacle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Not to mention the glass blocks at 140 and every 70 additional points. There are a bunch of "goals" along the way to Pinnacle.

Unfortunately for us, we do not see significant value in any additional perks for reaching 340 and 525 nights to keep us exclusively tied to RC cruises

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you normalize each of the big US cruise line loyalty programs they are all pretty similar in terms to reaching the top level in any program.  

If there is any "awkward" level it is emerald which the graph displays (far left).  Other than the emerald anomaly the graphs for each line tracks each other pretty well.

NCL is the most linear to start.  If Royal adjusted emerald to where it probably should be Royal and NCL would be nearly identical. 

 

1087016380_CruiseLineLoyaltyCharts.jpeg.d735cea116563225b235fa2b2778cad4.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2021 at 10:18 PM, Tony C said:

I would be willing to bet the percentages of Diamond and Diamond plus will be going up in 2020 with all the double-point cruises. We booked a suite on a 7-night cruise in January and we are embarking as gold members and disembarking as emerald. Assuming our plans don't get canceled, we will be adding 4 more to the diamond numbers in June of 2020. I expect there are many more like us.

Definitely true. My husband and I were gold members going into the pandemic. We're taking an extra 5 night cruise IN January specifically to get enough points to jump us up to Emerald, then our Alaska cruise in August will get us to Diamond. Admittedly all 3 cruises we took/are taking since the restart are in suites, so that gives us even bigger chunks of points at a shot right now. But I'm also reasonably sure there's quite a few folks taking full advantage of the 2x points to climb the C&A ladder. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

What would keep you loyal to a particular cruise line?

That is a very good question!  I think the only way to know for sure is to try other cruise lines to determine which one(s) best suit us and deserve our loyalty.

I believe we stayed with RCL to obtain Diamond Plus.  We booked Jr Suites for the larger tub/shower and cabin as well as to get the double points.  RCL was also comfortable and we had a good idea what to expect on each cruise.  Now that we see the goal in sight, the number of cruise nights and associated $$$ to get to the next tier is quite a stretch. 

Looking at the comparison of perks for all the tiers, flexible arrival as an added perk for Diamond plus would be the only tangible benefit of value to us. 

I think perceived value for the dollars spent is a matter of point of view. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 1:35 PM, twangster said:

I'm also of the opinion that for the most part the double points promo isn't creating a change in overall numbers that wouldn't have occured anyways. 

 

The C&A points from my Christmas cruise on Anthem just hit my account, and now I'm (finally!) at the Diamond level.  The double points certainly helped, but I would have ended up at Diamond by now anyway, if all of my planned Royal Caribbean cruises didn't get cancelled by covid.

Interestingly, I hit Diamond with 9 cruises, one being a "double point" suite.  Which, I believe, would have been the number of cruises needed to hit in order to reach Diamond back before they changed the program in 2011.  Of course, my cruises were all 7 day (or more) cruises, whereas back in the day one could get to Diamond after taking 10 3 night cruises (perhaps only 5 if they were all suites, thought the double points for suites wasn't a thing from the start of the program).

29th cruise overall, counting all cruise lines.  9 on Royal, 7 on NCL (but alot of those were 1-2 night cruise to nowhere's, which barely count), 5 Disney, 4 Cunard, 2 Celebrity and 2 Carnival.

Now time to plan more cruises...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2021 at 8:26 AM, AMHall827 said:

Definitely true. My husband and I were gold members going into the pandemic. We're taking an extra 5 night cruise IN January specifically to get enough points to jump us up to Emerald, then our Alaska cruise in August will get us to Diamond. Admittedly all 3 cruises we took/are taking since the restart are in suites, so that gives us even bigger chunks of points at a shot right now. But I'm also reasonably sure there's quite a few folks taking full advantage of the 2x points to climb the C&A ladder. 

Yes, DH, older DD & I are currently Platinum, & if we get to go on our Anthem cruise this Sunday, we will double our points & get to Diamond, which we will be glad to be at for our Oasis August cruise

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wife and I had a 8 day on odyssey booked for March 2022 after 2 cancelled cruises, but we were still 9 points away from being diamond. So we took a 6 day cheap double points cruise in Nov to get us to diamond. So now we are diamond on the 8 day cruise. Then we will get 32 points on that one to really help on the diamond plus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...