Royal Caribbean Blog

Time frame for Covid Testing

New protocols are calling for prior Covid testing 24 hrs to 5 days prior to boarding, 

What has been the time frame for the people who have been tested to get their results? I am seeing most places take 3 days to get results if you are lucky.

I foresee this being an issue if everyone in your party can not get results back in  time to set sail due to the labs being over loaded with test.

Please let me hear your input and ideas on this issue

My family members (different folks) have had 4 tests done so far.  One from CVS took 5 days to get back but that was a few months ago and was done on a Thursday so I assume that impacted turnaround. The other 3 were all rapid tests and were returned within 25 minutes. For that, the key is to search for rapid Covid tests. However, in all of these cases, there was a reason to get tested because the person felt bad and saw someone in a clinic first for a few minutes.  I’m not sure how easy it is/will be to get a rapid test because you are going on a cruise. 

38 minutes ago, Melodyjn said:

New protocols are calling for prior Covid testing 24 hrs to 5 days prior to boarding, 

What has been the time frame for the people who have been tested to get their results? I am seeing most places take 3 days to get results if you are lucky.

I foresee this being an issue if everyone in your party can not get results back in  time to set sail due to the labs being over loaded with test.

Please let me hear your input and ideas on this issue

Had the same question.  Most places do not provide results within that window - some can.   The faster tests tend to go to  the symptomatic cases.

I just moved from Tokyo to Managua. Part of the protocol involved a COVID test. In the major airline hub cities (and in some cases actually in the airport) you can get a RT-PCR test with a less than 12 hour turn around. Newark had facilities for this, for sure, and we actually tested at the lab recommended by Avianca in Miami, about 20 minutes from the airport. 
Cost was $189 per person and all you have to say to get an appointment is that you’re “traveling”.  There was also a choice of lab that took 24 hours to return results but only cost about $90. 
So long as cruises are leaving from large cities like that, it shouldn’t be a problem. 

34 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

I just moved from Tokyo to Managua. Part of the protocol involved a COVID test. In the major airline hub cities (and in some cases actually in the airport) you can get a RT-PCR test with a less than 12 hour turn around. Newark had facilities for this, for sure, and we actually tested at the lab recommended by Avianca in Miami, about 20 minutes from the airport. 
Cost was $189 per person and all you have to say to get an appointment is that you’re “traveling”.  There was also a choice of lab that took 24 hours to return results but only cost about $90. 
So long as cruises are leaving from large cities like that, it shouldn’t be a problem. 

Fantastic, now we can decide between the beverage package, and dropping $400 on 2 covid tests

1 hour ago, Melodyjn said:

This is the issue I am finding, if you're not sick or haven't been in contact with someone who was sick, if you just need a test for say a ..."cruise" they don't do rapid testing or even let you schedule an appointment

This could vary by local transmission/ testing capability factors. I had planned a road trip (completely voluntary, non-essential travel) from CA to Seattle and requested a test through my doctor (Kaiser insurance) as a precaution prior to staying with friends/family. Kaiser had no hesitations about getting me tested even though I didn't knowingly have contact with anyone who had tested positive and didn't think I would have it.
They had me take the test 10 days before my scheduled departure, since it's been a toss up whether it takes 1 week+ for results or a quick turnaround. I got my results in just under 2 days. Which ended up not being needed after all because everything's was on fire and I cancelled the trip... so I'll probably take another test once it's rescheduled.

Rut Row....I called all over and received several different responses, but all with the same outcome, no exposure? No symptoms? Fat chance you are getting a rapid response test, would not even allow me to make the appointment. And understandable, I actually felt bad explaining it would be for a cruise. (Pretty much felt berated, like are you CRAZY??) I refuse to fake exposure or symptoms to test, that is super bad karma, yikes!

Oh No Deal With It GIF by DreamWorks Animation

22 minutes ago, Melodyjn said:

Royal is going to have to come up with some sort of plan here or a lot of people won't be cruising, not for the lack of not wanting too but not being able to get tested.

And to overcome how the Feds in both countries still have travel advisories about going on cruise ships.