Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Recommended Posts

I've seen critters in every port we have visited. And I'm talking BIG ones. Do you think it's bad for me to consider the locals in the ports as "critters"? Is so, my bad. But Mike, you started this thread with no specifications as to what you consider what a critter is. By the way, did you live in Fayetteville when it was referred to as "FayetteNam, how about Rick's Lounge on Hay Street? 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rjac said:

I've seen critters in every port we have visited. And I'm talking BIG ones. Do you think it's bad for me to consider the locals in the ports as "critters"? Is so, my bad. But Mike, you started this thread with no specifications as to what you consider what a critter is. By the way, did you live in Fayetteville when it was referred to as "FayetteNam, how about Rick's Lounge on Hay Street? 😁

Critter's i was referring too were pets that people claim are service animals. 

I actual live in the Vander area as i didn't want the association of FayetteNam 😂 Ricks, what's this place you speak of? Do tell? 😂  Speaking of.....i've got pic's of you there...want to buy them? it's gonna cost you a cruise or two 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Critter's i was referring too were pets that people claim are service animals. 

Three dogs in the the rows in front and behind on the plane ride home from the cruise this past weekend.  Does that count?

One service animal jumped up into the lap of the guy in my aisle during boarding.  It wasn't his dog.  Service dog my a..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mworkman said:

I actual live in the Vander area as i didn't want the association of FayetteNam 😂 Ricks, what's this place you speak of? Do tell

Well Bubba, you have Fayettville listed as your location on your profile, so suck it up and be PROUD! As far as Rick's, well, it was a landmark for a LONG time in downtown Fayettville. Here's a link for you: https://www.fayobserver.com/photogallery/NC/20171021/PHOTOGALLERY/312099671/PH/1. See what you missed. When I was stationed at Ft. Bragg in the 90"s, Rick was demolished, as well as many of the other bars, strip joints, etc. Bricks from Rick's were sold at various local markets, fairs, etc. for $5-$10 depending on their condition. :27_sunglasses:

Link to post
Share on other sites

The "classic" service animal was the service dog for a blind person.  That's pretty cut and dry and historically those animals were highly trained and clearly working when in service. 

The gray comes in when a dog performs a service like detecting low blood sugar, an oncoming seizure or some other medical condition.  Such a dog might be transported in a cart.  Sometimes these dogs may appear to be a pet but they might serve a valid need.

The problem is the fakers who claim some medical condition and get a fake internet certificate so that their pet can be declared to be a service animal.  These are the ones that often end up biting people or peeing on things. 

This women claimed a medical condition that the dog could detect.  Maybe that's true.

ov-servicedog-2.jpg

However the dog was allowed to wander on it's own off leash. 

ov-servicedog-1.jpg  

Hmmm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mworkman said:

That clearly demonstrated it's not a service dog, how can it perform it's duty while it's not in the owners presents.

It walked past me several times and didn't detect her medical condition on me so that was good.  

I felt much better knowing I don't have her condition, whatever that was.  In that sense I was emotionally supported as well.  

14 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

Ah, yes.  The famous "long-range seizure detection canine."  They're all the rage.  Very high-tech.

This dog had ultra long range sensors that worked even when the owner was in the North Star where the dog couldn't go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Being on the pool deck, I'm pretty sure this dog was just trying to sneak back into the Windjammer.

The floor of the Windjammer at lunchtime on a sea day would be total doggie nirvana, no?

 

Really, I'm no different for the Tutti Fruitti salad in the MDR. I just sit at a table with a white table cloth. So theoretically, this could be a picture of me.

 

ov-servicedog-1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The responsibility falls on the ship to ask the two questions allowed of a person with a service animal.   They may ask if the dog is a service animal that is required due to a disability and what type of work or task the dog has been trained to do. The ADA prohibits them from asking about a person's disability.  I am suspicious of anyone who has a "certificate" for their dog, as that really isn't a thing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

The explosion of fake service dogs and fad d’jour of emotional support animals pisses me off to no end. The pictures of the lady and her “service dog” with the thousand poop bags strapped to her purse proves to me that the vest is pure show. My cousin was paralyzed in a diving accident, and he has a true service dog that has been amazing for him. These dogs are trained to so well that he actually has to command his dog to relieve itself. The amount of training that his dog has, and the immense amount of work that my cousin had to do just to be able to qualify to even be able to have a service dog, and the people that throw a vest on their pet and call it a service animal is so insulting..........steps of soap box.......rant over......back to drinking Thanksgiving sangria.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, emsff02 said:

The explosion of fake service dogs and fad d’jour of emotional support animals pisses me off to no end. The pictures of the lady and her “service dog” with the thousand poop bags strapped to her purse proves to me that the vest is pure show. My cousin was paralyzed in a diving accident, and he has a true service dog that has been amazing for him. These dogs are trained to so well that he actually has to command his dog to relieve itself. The amount of training that his dog has, and the immense amount of work that my cousin had to do just to be able to qualify to even be able to have a service dog, and the people that throw a vest on their pet and call it a service animal is so insulting..........steps of soap box.......rant over......back to drinking Thanksgiving sangria.....

Yep, my cousin's diabetes service dog was trained for 12 months at a cost of over $8k.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mworkman said:

Critter's i was referring too were pets that people claim are service animals. 

There's a legit seeing eye dog on board Oasis right now.  He's in training and was acting appropriately (ignoring distractions, not pulling, etc.). 

There is also an emotional support poodle (patch and everything) who is not acting appropriately. The poodle and gets to ride around in a stroller.  Today in St. Thomas the owners were letting it get attention from all the other guests, and the poodle was also pulling and tugging on the leash and jumping up on people.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, twangster said:

The "classic" service animal was the service dog for a blind person.  That's pretty cut and dry and historically those animals were highly trained and clearly working when in service. 

The gray comes in when a dog performs a service like detecting low blood sugar, an oncoming seizure or some other medical condition.  Such a dog might be transported in a cart.  Sometimes these dogs may appear to be a pet but they might serve a valid need.

The problem is the fakers who claim some medical condition and get a fake internet certificate so that their pet can be declared to be a service animal.  These are the ones that often end up biting people or peeing on things. 

This women claimed a medical condition that the dog could detect.  Maybe that's true.

ov-servicedog-2.jpg

However the dog was allowed to wander on it's own off leash. 

ov-servicedog-1.jpg  

Hmmm. 

NOPE!!  Not a service animal, I do not have one but am somewhat familiar with what goes into the training of them as well as the expectations.  I am currently working just to get my golden doodle certified as a therapy dog.  The training that we are going through is long and hard but still NOTHING compared to the training that a certified service animal has to go through.  While I do love my dog and it would be MUCH easier come vacation time to throw a vest on him and let him come with us, it is morally wrong and an insult to the people and animals that have put in the time for the training.  Just like people that have never had the honor to serve our country trying to pawn off that they were Navy Seals, or in the military.  I service animals would not be leaving her side and would be right there with her rather than wandering off.  I can tell you that this is one subject that I find highly irritating, because it makes people second guess those that really do have an issue, and a real need for a service dog.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...