Princess Cruises has just announced they will homeport Ruby Princess in Galveston starting December 2022. See the full list of Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Disney, Norwegian, and now Princess ships that are, or will be, home-porting in Galveston in my original post in this thread.

13 minutes ago, Galveston Steve said:

Princess Cruises has just announced they will homeport Ruby Princess in Galveston starting December 2022. See the full list of Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Disney, Norwegian, and Princess ships that are or will be home-porting in Galveston in my original post in this thread.

I'm pulling for Celebrity. 

Looks like things are progressing nicely then compared to just a few weeks ago when I was through there.  Not sure when my next trip through Galveston will be.  A little over extended on some things at the moment with our Black Friday cruise coming up but hopefully can put a deposit down to use later on when things are looking better.  Hopefully by then the terminal will be open and they will pick up a few more destinations.  Otherwise it will be a while for me.  I drive most everywhere and heading to Fort Lauderdale will tell me for sure if I am going to make that trip a few times or not.  And yes I could fly, however by the time I start checking my SCUBA gear among other things it's a lot cheaper to drive, like usually the cost of a single ticket without baggage covers fuel round trip.

4 hours ago, wordell1 said:

And some different itineraries on those sailings.  Let's hope they get supported.

Wow, love the longer sailings!   Much cruise news the last 2 weeks.  

I had been considering the Ruby Princess Repo back to SF in April 2023, but now Radiance repo to LA also in April is in the mix !!

Fun, fun fun!

On 3/22/2022 at 7:28 AM, TXcruzer said:

Radiance available to book from Galveston this morning

Thanks.

The variety in the long (9-10 day) sailings is great.

3 visits to Key West and Perfect Day.

2 visits to Colon Panama and Cartagena.

Several combining all the Western Ports.

and the 15  day repo through Panama Canal.

Edited by Zurc
Add

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cruisellama said:

This week, there was a drone top view photo of Terminal 10 published.  Is there an internal view that shows if there will be lounges etc?  I expect it would mimic Miami as its accommodating Oasis class ships.

There have been some renderings and some of them include inside views.  The second link describes a suite area.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/05/08/new-renderings-released-of-royal-caribbeans-new-cruise-terminal-galveston

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/12/17/royal-caribbean-previews-new-cruise-terminal-galveston

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

Man O Man, that's a good looking terminal, as rendered.  It's got to be a whole bunch better than the old Terminal.  Although I like the old one, too.  Just a few inconveniences.   I love cruising out of Galveston because my old Army buddy and his wife live near San Antonio and they cruise almost every time with us.  So, this gives me the opportunity to visit with them, pre or post cruise, and also be in the great state of Texas.  Not to mention my favorite Mexican Restaurants, La Margarita and Mi Tierra's in San Antonio.  

EDITED IN:  BTW, I don't see, in the renderings, an attached parking garage.  I hope there is one, much more convenient than parking down the street and having to take a shuttle from parking lot to terminal.  This may have been discussed earlier but I'm not going through about 26 pages of this.

There will be open air parking provided by the City of Galveston next to the terminal, no parking garage or covered parking as of yet. After a couple of years, I figure that will be their next step. It would increase their revenue stream tremendously as some folks really prefer parking indoors or in a covered spot as the Texas sun really bakes the cars. Would be great if there was a multi-story parking garage with connecting walkway! Also the "other cruise line" terminal (1) has covered multi-story public parking directly across the street from them. I loved the Houston Cruise Terminal when it was operating due to the parking right next to the ship. They offered a pull-over cover for your car for $10 more and we used it every time.

COVID Testing for Galveston.  My son tells me that in the Elgin/Austin area, CVS has only reduced testing, PCR rather than antigen, over $130 per test.  I guess the presumption is that folks will get reimbursed from insurance.  So for our cruise in December, we plan on Emed/Abbot online tests.  I am curious if others sailing out of Galveston have found free or reasonably priced COVID tests.

1 hour ago, ChessE4 said:

COVID Testing for Galveston.  My son tells me that in the Elgin/Austin area, CVS has only reduced testing, PCR rather than antigen, over $130 per test.  I guess the presumption is that folks will get reimbursed from insurance.  So for our cruise in December, we plan on Emed/Abbot online tests.  I am curious if others sailing out of Galveston have found free or reasonably priced COVID tests.

I get mine from Walgreens now. I've had good luck logging on the website a week in advance and searching for a test near my address. 

Galveston has yet to give me a hard time about a Walgreens test. 

I'm getting ready to sail out of Galveston in about two weeks. I've been checking on testing at CVS and Walgreens in my area (Austin). Both seem to still have 'free' testing. Both ask if you have insurance or an employer voucher, but that doesn't seem to be a limitation (as near as I can tell). Right now it looks like I can schedule a test at CVS two days in advance (Rapid Antigen Test — the PCR test can be scheduled 2 weeks out). At Walgreens it seems I cannot schedule a Rapid Antigen Test BUT I can schedule the NAAT test (lab test, but results in about 2 hours) one week in advance. My current plan is to schedule with Walgreens as soon as I can, which means go on-line nine days before sailing to schedule an appointment two days prior to sailing. 

Good Day Everyone, 

I have a question about the itineraries that Royal offers out of Galveston. I realize that under the current economic conditions that certainly cost of offering additional itineraries plays a major factor. With that said and knowing that we are only a short time away from the opening of Royal’s new terminal in Galveston, is there any chance that Royal will add any new sailings to the schedule? Carnival currently offers 7 day trips to Jamaica and Grand Cayman and has done so pre COVID. I can’t help but to believe that after committing so many millions on a new terminal, that some different itineraries aren’t in the works? Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Lone Star said:

Good Day Everyone, 

I have a question about the itineraries that Royal offers out of Galveston. I realize that under the current economic conditions that certainly cost of offering additional itineraries plays a major factor. With that said and knowing that we are only a short time away from the opening of Royal’s new terminal in Galveston, is there any chance that Royal will add any new sailings to the schedule? Carnival currently offers 7 day trips to Jamaica and Grand Cayman and has done so pre COVID. I can’t help but to believe that after committing so many millions on a new terminal, that some different itineraries aren’t in the works? Thoughts?

Royal has offered the same cruise in the past but had to change because of the restrictions in Grand Cayman.

There will be issues with that itinerary on the Oasis class ships because they are unable to visit ports that use tenders rather than a dock.

My uneducated, wild a** guess, is Royal will add Grand Cayman and Jamaica in the future using an older ship, such as Adventure of the Seas.  As @Wordell1 mentioned, Royal has done so in the past using Liberty, but is unable to reach Grand Cayman using an Oasis class ship.  Royal wants to get the most out of their new terminal, and they certainly want to reach more ports. 

Adventure is currently doing 4, 5 and 6 night sailings out of Galveston and will be back in Galveston in 2024.

Incidentally, during Adventure's repositioning cruises between Galveston and New Jersey, she will stop at Labadee, Jamaica and Grand Cayman.

6 hours ago, Lone Star said:

Good Day Everyone, 

5 hours ago, The Fox said:

I would like to see more itineraries also. I read somewhere that Grand Cayman was limiting the number of ships due to Covid to see how it works out.

4 hours ago, wordell1 said:

Royal has offered the same cruise in the past but had to change because of the restrictions in Grand Cayman.

There will be issues with that itinerary on the Oasis class ships because they are unable to visit ports that use tenders rather than a dock.

14 minutes ago, steverk said:

My uneducated, wild a** guess, is Royal will add Grand Cayman and Jamaica in the future using an older ship, such as Adventure of the Seas.  As @Wordell1 mentioned, Royal has done so in the past using Liberty, but is unable to reach Grand Cayman using an Oasis class ship.  Royal wants to get the most out of their new terminal, and they certainly want to reach more ports. 

Adventure is currently doing 4, 5 and 6 night sailings out of Galveston and will be back in Galveston in 2024.

Incidentally, during Adventure's repositioning cruises between Galveston and New Jersey, she will stop at Labadee, Jamaica and Grand Cayman.

There are some newer and exciting itineraries from Galveston (including PDCC) on Radiance, coming soon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Scatmanjack said:

Looks like parking at new terminal is up for reservations...

portofgalveston.com

even with promo code GRANDOPENING22 the cost is almost 2x higher than what we've paid at EZ Cruise in the past... 😞

They will have lots of business from the newbies but we will still park at our locked, inside parking for less and they recently moved just for Royal Caribbean cruisers only four blocks from the new terminal.👍