From this month’s Port of Galveston Trustee’s meeting, construction at Cruise Terminal 10 is continuing as planned.  Here are the key activities currently in progress:

• Royal Caribbean has begun installing the pilings for the new terminal building. Over the next month they will install 800 auger cast pilings that will go 80 feet deep. These pilings will transfer the heavy load of the terminal building down to a solid layer of hard soil 80 feet below ground level.
  • Port of Galveston is about 50% complete with the new water and sewer lines that will supply the new terminal building. They are continuing to relocate electrical utilities that need to be moved for this project.
  • The East End Cruise Corridor roadway work is out for bids and that work will be awarded to the successful contractor in September. The schedule indicates that some of the work will complete after the planned opening of the new terminal. This may include things like landscaping and lighting.

This photo shows the location of the new cruise terminal building and the location of the future surface parking lot. You can see the rough outline of the building in the dirt area where the drilling rigs are located.

image.thumb.png.314c34c5137839a3c853af2bc44a000b.png

Here is a photo of one of the auger cast piling rigs. These rigs drill the 80 foot deep holes that are then filled with grout and reinforcing rods.

image.thumb.png.a8aa4651b189ac083e0ff376854e1f69.png

• 3 weeks later...

I've just updated the original post with the embarkation and disembarkation experience related to security, check-in, etc in Galveston. Go to the original post and scroll all the way down to "Embarkation Experience".  This is based on the back-to-back that I just completed on Independence of the Seas.  The best thing? Facial recognition replaced the face-to-face with a Customs and Border Protection officer and eliminated the long lines to get out of the terminal!

On 9/15/2021 at 6:56 PM, Galveston Steve said:

Allure of the Seas now has a repositioning cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Galveston with an 8 night cruise stopping in Aruba and Curaçao! Sailing November 5, 2022. 

Thank you for posting this Steve! I would not have found it otherwise. I made a booking, amazing prices.

Well, well, well.... looks like Norwegian's newest ship will homeport in Galveston for the winter, arriving about a year after Royal Caribbean moves to their new cruise terminal!  Update: NCL made this announcement while still in negotiations with the Port of Galveston and without informing the Port that they were going to make this announcement.

image.png.9fbf008728a7fd1ec0882f6ffc6e2908.png

Thanks to @BugsyCruiser for the tip on this news.

Edited by Galveston Steve

1 hour ago, Galveston Steve said:

Well, well, well.... looks like Norwegian's newest ship will homeport in Galveston for the winter, arriving about a year after Royal Caribbean moves to their new cruise terminal!

image.png.9fbf008728a7fd1ec0882f6ffc6e2908.png

Thanks to @BugsyCruiser for the tip on this news.

Thats exciting, have never used their product, but it is a good looking ship, just did a couple mock bookings, seems a little pricey, but I guess it is what it is when you are booking the newest and shiniest.

New Cruise Terminal 10 status update... Royal Caribbean continues to install the 800 auger cast piles for the new terminal building (see attached aerial photo).  As the pile work completes in the next few weeks, Royal will move to the next phase of construction which involves the tilt-up wall installation. That is when we will begin to see visible progress on the site.

The Port of Galveston is now targeting completion of their work (parking, roads, utilities, landscaping) by early October, 2022 to support the November, 2022 opening of the the new terminal.

image.thumb.png.90de6df113fe4dd83fd51833d722f314.png

2 hours ago, Scatmanjack said:

Safe to assume Royal will move all operations to Pier 10 once it is complete?

Have always parked and walked from EZ Cruise Lot but I guess the lot included in Pier 10 project should be my new choice...

Yes, after spending $125 million, I expect all RCG operations to be at Pier 10.

Other than the new 10 acre surface lot that the Port is building adjacent to Pier 10, the next closest parking at the moment will be at 18th and Harborside.  This lot is operated by Port Parking. It is a "park and walk" lot and is actually one of my favorites.  It is an indoor lot with plenty of electric vehicle chargers and is elevated about 4 feet above the street for flood protection. It will be interesting to see if any other private lots pop up to support the new Terminal 10.

On 9/28/2021 at 1:36 PM, Galveston Steve said:

Other than the new 10 acre surface lot that the Port is building adjacent to Pier 10, the next closest parking at the moment will be at 18th and Harborside.  This lot is operated by Port Parking. It is a "park and walk" lot and is actually one of my favorites.

it was very interesting to look at their web site, prices are very competitive.  Personally I've always used Park-N-Cruise which is right across the street from the current terminals, as i like their indoor parking. 

This new company you like has numberous locations and options.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...