Training for Allure: 10/15/23-10/22/23

Ampurp85

This may a TLDR situation, but I am going to mention it all!!!

This is a group cruise, in regard to planning it has been the group cruise from hell.

Planning for the group is always a mess because apparently nobody has any money, but they do have money, they would rather just waste/spend my money.

I communicate with everyone by an email chain. I found out that only my brother, the new vintage, and my mother's bff actually reads them. Whenever I send one, I eventually get a call from everyone else asking me to explain things. It is frustrating because now I know why there are issues. 

Last year we went on Odyssey, and it was six of us and a bit of a mess. Still fun, but a mess. While on Odyssey everyone, not me, decided they wanted to sail Allure again because that first group cruise was the best. The reason was because it was a longer vacation since we did WDW/Universal and a cruise. Allure was sailing out of Texas and everyone, not me, thought it would be great to do a road trip there and extend the vacation. It was off to Next Cruise to secure 3 aft balconies and a little bit of OBC. We got of Odyssey the week before thanksgiving, so I waited until Dec to start looking for the best way to do this road trip. My brother suggested getting a luxury RV, that way we could take the hotel stays off the docket.

We found a really nice 2020 Fleetwood Bounder that slept 8 people. I emailed the owner and asked about pricing and details. He agreed to rent it to us for 15 (two weeks or more gets a discounted day rate) days at $185/day, a $500 deposit and the cost of insurance and all the incidentals. Which would include gas, water, propane, and Wi-Fi to name a few. I put the deposit down at that price. In Jan after I came back from cruising, I emailed the guy to see about adding on 2 more days, the vintages wanted it. He stated that would be fine and then sent a doctored email that said I had agreed to $320/day and a $1000 deposit. It went from being $3,275 plus insurance to $5,800 plus insurance. 

It was literally an email that he went into the thread and changed the amounts, as if I didn't have the original email. I was shocked because that wasn't what we agreed to, and I told him that. He said he raised the prices because he was renting the RVs more and if I didn't want to pay that, he would return my deposit and rent it to someone else for $500/day. I cancelled. At this point it was too late to try to rent anything at a decent price. I wasn't too keen on doing a road trip with four vintage women anyway. But a lot of them were disappointed. They wanted to just take cars and do the road trip, which I told them to do but I wasn't going to plan it because I could no longer get the time for it off. I heard a lot and dealt with lots of mood swings and such.

My bff was very disappointed because he was amped for the road trip, and he really hates flying. So, he asked if we could catch the train or something. I looked into catching the train to Texas and........sure enough Amtrak goes. I would have preferred to fly but it was looking to be $600+ each plus the high Lyft/Uber cost from IAH. The train ride would be a full 24hrs and that seems like a lot but I asked around and everyone was excited. I was actually able to score a group rate of $150, each, round-trip on the Texas Eagle. We take the train to Longview and then a bus takes us to Galveston. The train normally leaves on time, but my brother and I are on the fence when it comes to the bus. We decided as a precaution we would rent two vehicles in Longview to complete the drive just in case we miss the bus. We would rather eat the cancellation fee, than to worry about trying to get a car the day of. Our train leaves on Friday the 13th and we are scheduled to arrive on Saturday the 14th at 2pm. The bus stop is pretty central to the port so that is a good thing. Our hotel is also not that far from the port. 

Now on to the tomfoolery of planning with vintages and wishy-washy Bffs.

I booked the rooms with a reduced deposit at NC. It was supposed to be six of us going but my mother's bff wanted her bff to come, so I put a random name on my mother's room to account for her and so they could have a 3+ room in case she did come. Nobody but my brother gave me their deposit money. They complained about the MDR the entire Odyssey sailing and regretted saying no to the UDP. They all said they wanted the UDP, internet, and some sort of beverage package for this cruise. I got the UDP during the BF sale for myself, my brother and mother. Then my mother's bff finally told me she was bringing her bff and she gave me the deposit and UDP money for them both. Right after vintage number 4 confirmed my mother informed me that she had invited a stranger along. 

Said stranger was a guy she met online a little over a decade ago. She Skypes with him and tells him all about our vacations and he always wanted to cruise. She volunteered me to book his cruise and all of the other stuff. The group went from 6 to 8. This guy is legally blind and lives in New York. I helped him pay for his room and UDP through Royal and I just linked him with all of the rest of us. My mother thought we should just let him fly to Texas and then one of us go to the airport and pick him up. I had to explain to her why that was a dumb idea. I had to explain we were taking the train. There was no telling when we would get in. So, yes, let's just leave a legally blind vintage at the airport without any assistant for who knows however long. Plus we were looking at $90+ each way in rideshare cost. They don't ever want to spend no money, but you want to tack on two rideshare cost each way? After a bit of back and forth he will fly to Chicago the night before and ride the train with us.

I let everyone know FP was in July and if I had to make FP, I was going to charge them all interest because as it was, I was on the hook for all purchases in total for 4 people. Now I talk to my Bff quite often but somehow, he waited until June to say he and his mother couldn't go. I was pissed. I asked him several times if he was sure, and he said yes. I had to call and configure the rooms. The cost of the cruise had doubled, and I didn't want to trigger a reprice, so I swapped out names, so the two of them would be on the same reservation that would cancel once I didn't make payment. I was later told that my bff was mad because they assumed I would pay for them to go and allow them to pay me later. I did this the first and second cruise/vacation and wasn't doing it again. 

I informed everyone we would now be six. I normally make FP two-weeks before it was due but decided to wait until it was a week away. This was just in case they changed their mind and sure enough I heard from them 10 days before FP. My mother speculated that they tried to book something on their own and realized all the deals I got them and called to ask if it was completely cancelled. I said no but the consequences were they would have to share a room. My bff doesn't like sharing a room with his mother......at all. They made FP and the trip was on. 

Day 44

I was able to stay up the night before and get the earliest check-in time of 11am. By 11am the same day only 12pm and on was left. I had read that for some reason 11am is listed as the earliest time out of Galveston but they eventually update and move the 11am to 10:30. As it stands, I shall be actively looking for the earliest time for me so I can board early book our UDP dining times.

Itenirary:

Friday the 13th: train ride Texas Eagle 22

Saturday the 14th: La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Galveston North at I-45 

Sunday the 15th-22nd Allure of the Seas, Western Caribbean

1. GALVESTON, TEXAS
  2. ROATAN, HONDURAS
  3. PUERTO COSTA MAYA, MEXICO
  4. COZUMEL, MEXICO

Sunday the 22nd: train ride Texas Eagle 422

Rooms:

3 Aft OV balconies #12688, 12690, and 12674

1 Aft interior #11275

Excursions/amenities:

Beach Snorkel in Costa Maya x3

UDP x8

Voom 3-device plans x2

Water package 24 x 3, 12x1

Premier Pass fiasco x 4

This cruise is one of the Premier Pass Fiasco's, so everyone ended up with some OBC. When I changed the names around, they removed the OBC and had everyone's C&A status wrong. It got fixed and they added in extra OBC for the troubles. 

I want to point out that I got this entire vacation for $1474pp. That is the cost for the cabin fare, grats, the UDP, internet, hotel, water package and train tickets. It is currently $1800 just for a balcony alone. I paid the old price of $267 for the UDP, got the water package for only $16 and $9. The hotel was half price on a BF deal meaning at two to a room, we paid $68/night. As I mention I got the train tickets on a group rate that helped us save 60% each ticket. I brought the multi device package for Voom, we have used it, and it works for us.

The train allows two of each bag: checked, carry-on, and personal. But you don't have to worry about liquid sized. We are bringing wine from home. This is the first D+ sailing and I have decided to forego even the soda package as I am also prime. Speaking of....... my brother has the cruising bug and so I will spend this cruise making him prime. I like to gamble, I'm already prime for this and next year, so........

We have lots of new travel accessories as the train ride requires lots of snacks and meal planning. I will post our new finds. 

Oh, I forgot to add I got the RUB emails on Aug 16th, so 60 days before sailing.

It was:

$1260 for CLS

$1120 for OS

$840 for 2BR GS/1BR AS

$700 for GS

$350 for JS

$260 for US OV Balcony

and $130 for Large OV Balcony

Nothing for star class but it is still some CLS. I had put in bids but cancelled because if all the rooms cannot be upgraded, then none of the rooms should. I didn't want the headache. 🤣😭

17 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

communicate with everyone by an email chain. I found out that only my brother, the new vintage, and my mother's bff actually reads them. Whenever I send one, I eventually get a call from everyone else asking me to explain things. It is frustrating because now I know why there are issues. 

You had me right here!! I am this person. I plan, and communicate the plan multiple times, and they still ask! Exasperating lol

I read every word twice! Because you've just listed reasons 8,472 - 8,639 why we only cruise with just the 2 of us! (Seriously, I'm pretty sure I'm going to burn in hell for all the times we've hidden cruises from family who want to sail with us.  In our defense, the 2 times we've relented .... i would be authoring your story.)

I can't wait for these adventures to unfold. I feel some National Lampoon movie vibes here! 😀

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Gotta give you credit, in your situation I would have given up the role of family travel agent a long time ago.  

I also would have insisted everyone pays a deposit right at the start.  You find out very quickly who is really serious when they have some skin in the game.  

This is true and I already told them after this one they are on their own with bookings.

I have to agree with @asquared17, this feels like a camera crew should be following you!

As an aside, I'm not sure if you've done long-haul Amtrak before or not, but if you have any questions/want suggestions, etc., please feel free to message me.  Otherwise, looking forward to see how this journey unfolds!

I feel your pain.  I am the family planner for our 12.  My family and my sister and her family. No vintages Started a google doc which no one reads.  Have to travel to venice , get to our hotel, spend 2 days in Venice,get to the bus station for the 2 hour shuttle ride to Ravenna,board the ship, find excurions in 4 ports and then get back to the airport.

Check in opened and 1 person did it.  So they can sit out and wait for their time while I am onboard enjoying the flowrider and drinks!  

Ms. Medicare here had to read your bookings several times, and was more impressed with your skills each reading. So, you are in charge of a bunch of old people and a legally blind guy that no one has actually met.  You gotta make sure they all get on the train, and the blind guy doesn’t wander off.  You gotta get them to the hotel and on the ship.  I’m definitely following this cruise. 

I want to point out that all the vintages are upset with my mother for inviting a strange man on our vacation. My mother is also upset because I told her once I get the blind gent on the ship, she will have to look out for him. 

Also @USCG Teacher I would appreciate all the insight. I have done European trains but never Amtrak for that long. 

11 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I want to point out that all the vintages are upset with my mother for inviting a strange man on our vacation. My mother is also upset because I told her once I get the blind gent on the ship, she will have to look out for him. 

This just keeps getting better and better ... for us! Not necessarily for you, and i *am* sorry about that.  Sort of. Because this is hilarious. To me.  😬

Day 41

The options for shows opened up at 42 days and so I booked all of our shows. Now I am curious as to whether or not the blind gent will want to go to the shows🤔. But I would rather err on the side of caution and book everyone.

We have:

Day 3: OceanAria 7:30pm

Day 5: Blue Plane 10pm

Day 5: Comedy 11:30pm

Day 7: Mammia Mia 2:15pm

Day 7: BLADES 7pm

I had made a spreadsheet of dining times. I have to reconfigure the venues and possible times now that I know what time the shows will be.

Possible help for your new legally blind friend, but first a story:  I’ve been wearing hearing aids since my early 30’s - genetic thing.  Four years ago when hubby and I went to the movies he got me the “new and improved” hearing device from the ticket guy to hear the movie better.  Hubby listened to how this updated model worked.  He got it programmed and slapped that sucker on my head. After a few moments of the movie I decided to make the sound even stronger, so I moved the switch by the ear. Now I’m starting to hear odd stuff - like “he touches her hair and she smiles.”  WTH, maybe this movie is trying something different by explaining verbally what is happening.  After 20 minutes, hubby grabbed it from head and messed with the volume.  Ten minutes later I feel like I just need to turn the volume up, so I messed with the volume again.  The movie goes back to explaining what it happening.  Later in the car I told hubby that I enjoyed the movie but found it a bit painful to have to hear what was happening when I could plainly see what was happening.  Was the movie people trying something new?  Hubby said he could hear it coming from the head phones so fixed the problem but I turned the problem back on, so he figured that’s what I wanted.  Apparently, I kept turning it from the hearing impaired mode to the legally blind mode.  

My point is:  Royal might have something to enhance your new legally blind friend’s experience!  You should check. 

Also, what are your plans for Cozumel? Our fave is the Cozumel Bar Hop which takes you to the nice side of the island, the beautiful side with no electricity.

We'd been twice before we took Batman's dad on that tour for his 85th birthday. Normally it's a fun gregarious tour. But not when your FIL sits up front with the tour guide and acts like she's his own personal resource.... I'm imagining this scenario x6 in your case. 

12 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Also, what are your plans for Cozumel? Our fave is the Cozumel Bar Hop which takes you to the nice side of the island, the beautiful side with no electricity.

We'd been twice before we took Batman's dad on that tour for his 85th birthday. Normally it's a fun gregarious tour. But not when your FIL sits up front with the tour guide and acts like she's his own personal resource.... I'm imagining this scenario x6 in your case. 

I have no plans for Cozumel, and I have been there about 4x before this. I personally won't be getting off. 

I want to add that with all the email communication I asked them waaaaaaaay back in Jan what excursions they wanted to do. I got nothing. Fast forward to 50 days before we cruise, and people are upset that most of the excursions are sold out. None of the vintages drink in any real capacity so a bar hop, food tour, or drink making activity is wasted on them. 

Day 40

So, after fiddling a little bit I realized that my spreadsheet is a moot point. Everyone wants their money's worth and said they only want to do specialty dining, 😨. Since we have two shows on Day 5, I need the earliest dinner as possible that night. Trying to wrangle 7 full individuals, with 5 being vintages, I need dinner to be over before 9pm. Which means my dinner plans have to function around that one night. With only six specialty restaurants and 10 total meals of lunch and dinner to plan, I have to make sure the repeats are spaced out. I was told that we must eat at Samba grill at least twice because my bff is all about the meat and that Sabor should be every day because, duh tacos 🙄.

Five out of eight people decided that they wanted to do ATVs in any port but now there aren't enough spots left and also, they don't want to pay the prices because they saw them for this price on a third-party website. I tried to explain they seem to function on CP/vintage time, they can't really afford to do third-party excursions because they might miss the boat. My brother, bff, and bff's mother are booked on the Beach Snorkel in Costa Maya. Which my bff has just become so extra over. He is actively looking for a wetsuit, underwater camera attachment for his phone, and telling everyone his is "snorkel diving" for the first time 🤣😭

My sister did an overnight Amtrak journey with her family and she had 2 pieces of advice - 1. pack lots of snacks and beverages because the "dining car" (she put in quotes) isn't always open and choices aren't great, and 2. bring one bag with travel essentials because sometimes the suitcases have to go on a luggage rack that isn't always easy to get to. 

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

My sister did an overnight Amtrak journey with her family and she had 2 pieces of advice - 1. pack lots of snacks and beverages because the "dining car" (she put in quotes) isn't always open and choices aren't great, and 2. bring one bag with travel essentials because sometimes the suitcases have to go on a luggage rack that isn't always easy to get to. 

OMG, I am packing so many snacks and I keep mentioning this to everyone. Like I brought several cooler bags/backpacks because everyone said the food/beverage situation is bad. That was my major concern, it would be just my luck to be up those hours instead of sleeping. 

3 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

OMG, I am packing so many snacks and I keep mentioning this to everyone. Like I brought several cooler bags/backpacks because everyone said the food/beverage situation is bad. That was my major concern, it would be just my luck to be up those hours instead of sleeping. 

Are you doing coach, or do you have roomettes/bedrooms?  On Texas Eagle, from Chicago to San Antonio has "Flexible Dining" in the dining car, which is a generous term for microwaved meals.  That said, even those microwaved meals are a step up from what's in the cafe car.  The cafe car is fine for a short commuter trip where you just forgot to eat and need a quick snack, but fr real sustenance it gets old real quick.

Texas Eagle Flexible Dining Menu

Generic Amtrak Cafe Car menu

Also to note: I have been on trips where no cash was accepted and it was card only, and I've been on trips where the CC reader was broken and the cafe was cash only. 🤷🏻‍♂️

18 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

Are you doing coach, or do you have roomettes/bedrooms?  On Texas Eagle, from Chicago to San Antonio has "Flexible Dining" in the dining car, which is a generous term for microwaved meals.  That said, even those microwaved meals are a step up from what's in the cafe car.  The cafe car is fine for a short commuter trip where you just forgot to eat and need a quick snack, but fr real sustenance it gets old real quick.

Texas Eagle Flexible Dining Menu

Generic Amtrak Cafe Car menu

Also to note: I have been on trips where no cash was accepted and it was card only, and I've been on trips where the CC reader was broken and the cafe was cash only. 🤷🏻‍♂️

We are doing coach because the roomettes were sold out when we booked. I have a plan when it comes to food because I don't trust the dining options for such a long trip.

If you are doing overnight in coach - make sure everyone has their own eye covering and ear plugs.  It does not get pitch dark in the cars because they have to leave lights on near the stairs.  Also, it is noisy with everyone walking thru the cars, opening and closing the doors.  Bring neck pillows and a throw for comfort. 

On 9/5/2023 at 1:03 PM, Ampurp85 said:

Trying to wrangle 7 full individuals, with 5 being vintages, I need dinner to be over before 9pm.

i'm just sitting here cackling to myself because this is usually the time that i have retired to my cabin to read quietly in bed. the thought of dinner going past 8pm makes me want to keel over in fatigue.

SUN SEEKER STATUS IS EXHAUSTING, Y'ALL 😅😂

I tried to explain they seem to function on CP/vintage time, they can't really afford to do third-party excursions because they might miss the boat.

honestly, this is a real concern!!! my number one fear is missing departure tbh.

Which my bff has just become so extra over. He is actively looking for a wetsuit, underwater camera attachment for his phone, and telling everyone his is "snorkel diving" for the first time 🤣😭

remind me to tell you about scuba suit... he was basically in his wetsuit the entire cruise when we were on serenade a few years back, brought his backpack full of gear to the MDR, and sat in the main pool with all his equipment etc. it was a real scene.

i'm all for encouraging people to shoot for their dreams, but the small pool on serenade did not seem especially conducive to this 😂

i am glad you are packing mad amounts of snacks/food. the italian in me is especially concerned about you being fed and watered!!!

Day 34

As stated, I checked everyone in and told them to fill out the rest of their info. They still have not done it. In just a couple of days I will be able to print luggage tags. I normally create a physical packet with the luggage tags, their set sail pass, hotel confirmations, in this case the train ticket confirmations, and anything else having a physical copy as backup would help. The first time we did a group cruise it was over Halloween, which is my favorite holiday. We had a pre-cruise dinner get together to discuss everything. I created little gift bags because none of them had sailed before and I wanted them to have cruise essentials. I also had ordered us matching t-shirts: one for WDW and one for the cruise. Nobody wore them during the vacation (they all love them now and wear them often) or used any of the cruise essentials. The second cruise on Odyssey I got everyone a lanyard or card clip and luggage tags. Again, nobody used them. Well, my brother used his, but he is sane and normal, so I don't count him when it comes to the rest of the group's tomfoolery 🤣😂. We also had a pre-cruise dinner, where they all begged me to book star class the next time......I am sure everyone knows how that turned out 😂😬. Since I was the one spending money and not feeling appreciated and this planning was the worst, I decided not to do any of that this time. The new vintage also wanted to know if we would be dressing together and for the theme nights. I told her no. My mother and my bffs mother can't follow an assignment to save their life. Some had the audacity to say when are you taking us to dinner to discuss the cruise? I had a good laugh.

When the train was solidified as the mode of transportation. I made plans. I am a little type A, so I always include the itinerary, a packing list, a suggestion list and general outline of what I am doing. I also want to say a big thanks to @USCG Teacher for helping ease my anxiety and answering my fears/questions. Everyone I have talked to about trains mentions the food.  I have been doing the Costco thing and buying nuts, chips, pretzels, granola/protein bars, and candy for both me and the crew in bulk. My original plan was to bring a deconstructed charcuterie/crudité board. That is still part of the plan but getting a meal on the train is off. Most of it is just microwaved frozen items. So, the actual plan is to get a hot meal at the station before boarding. I mentioned this to the vintages, and they all told me they are bringing nothing. They claim I told them not to bother with snacks because the train has food, I had them all pull up the email chain and text thread. Reading is fundamental.

With a full day of train riding, a pre-cruise night at a hotel, and another 24+ hour train ride back. Our vacation is 10 days. Most of the vintages are at 4/6 bags allotted. I will be taking the largest number of bags I have ever taken on any vacation, which will be 3 1/2. My brother and I will share a 29in checked bag. Then I will have my carry-on, a weekender filled with train essentials, and my cooler bag. I recently purchased a new weekender bag

Amazon.com | Travel Duffle Bag, BAGSMART 31L Quilted Weekender Overnight Bag for Women with Laptop Compartment, Large Carry On Airport Bag with Wet Pocket & Shoe Bag for Business Trips, Sports (Purple) | Travel Duffels

I already have a bento box and Igloo hot/cold lunch bag, but I purchased a cooler backpack specifically for this trip.

Amazon.com : Backpack Cooler Backpack 26 Cans Insulated Leak Proof for Women Men Beach Camping Picnic Fishing Hiking Lunch Backpack Waterproof Cooler : Sports & Outdoors

There are some things we cannot live without: coffee, tea, supplements, protein, and other dry/powder things that require a particular type of container. We found these storage containers at TJ MAXX/Family dollar that Amazon sells at $15+ for under $5. 

Amazon.com: SELEWARE Portable Stackable Food Storage Containers for Snacks Formula Powder and Drinks Twist Lock System Airtight Leak-proof BPA and Phthalate Free 4 Piece Jars 31oz Blue : Baby

I have been fielding a lot of calls and texts from vintages who are scrambling to get prepared before vacation. I actually was just asked what ports we were going to and the worst of all, when do we leave. 😱