Walkie Talkie

mwarr00

23 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes they are allowed onboard, but you should be aware there are 3 reasons walkie talkies are a bad idea.

1. They are annoying to other passengers

2. They don't work well because of the ship's metal structure

3. The Royal Caribbean chat app is free to use

Agreed on all counts.

16 hours ago, mwarr00 said:

Does Royal Caribbean allow passengers to bring walkie talkies onboard?

Have you ever <squaaaaaaak> been <squeeek> annoyed at somebody <eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee> talking on a <beeeeeeeee> speaker phone while you're <pop pop pop> trying to enjoy a peaceful <shrieeeeeeeeek> moment?  Add in a <wheeewheeeewheee> stupid sound effects machine and <sizzzzzzzzzle> you've got a walkie talkie.

Seriously, if you want to be the least popular person on your cruise, bring a walkie talkie!

I asked a simple yes or no question to which Matt kindly replied, however I am appalled that other members felt it was an opportunity to ridicule me. If this is the behavior that can be expected anytime I submit a question this site I want no part of it. I will take my questions directly to Royal Caribbean from now on!

13 hours ago, mwarr00 said:

I asked a simple yes or no question to which Matt kindly replied, however I am appalled that other members felt it was an opportunity to ridicule me. If this is the behavior that can be expected anytime I submit a question this site I want no part of it. I will take my questions directly to Royal Caribbean from now on!

I don't see anyone ridiculing you.  I see a bunch of ridicule directed at walkie talkie use on cruise ships.  It all seems like variations of @Matt's first list item.  "They are annoying to other passengers".  Don't take it personally.  You can bring them, but understand the things being said in this thread will be the thoughts of the cruisers around you.  

I'm allowed to bring a walkie talkie just as I'm allowed to break wind in the elevator.  I don't do either because of the other people and myriad other ways to accomplish the end goal.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Xaa
typo

9 hours ago, Xaa said:

I'm allowed to being a walkie talkie just as I'm allowed to break wind in the elevator.  I don't do either because of the other people and myriad other ways to accomplish the end goal.

You’re supposed to do this just before you get off the elevator, especially glass ones. 

11 hours ago, mwarr00 said:

I don't see anyone mocking you.  It was a legitimate question.  I think you see what the response would be on the ship.  The problem is that you can't silence them and only use them in appropriate areas.

I have a teenager and we use a Wi-Fi based texting app and purchase the internet package.  

11 hours ago, mwarr00 said:

I’m sorry you felt ridiculed. We do try to be a good natured bunch, I promise!

Welcome to the boards!

Nothing AT ALL was directed at you personally. All you got was the response that those who actually use them get from fellow cruisers. If you never use them, these comments aren’t towards you. If you do use them, this is what people think of you. All we are doing is saying not to use them because they are very inconsiderate and annoying to everyone else. I’m sorry if that is not the answer you wanted and were hoping we would all encourage you to use them, but that’s not how everyone else feels. I bid you good luck in your future encounters with Internet forums. 

17 hours ago, Matt said:

I re-read the posts, and I really don't think there was any malice with the comments. People were just trying to explain why walkie talkies are annoying to others.

Honestly, I come to this page MUCH more than the other big one because the people in here are much more welcoming and overall way more helpful. You wanna see malice or smug responses, go check out that other site for sure. 

On 8/11/2023 at 10:57 PM, mwarr00 said:

Keep calm and cruise!  🙂 

So, if you are using walkie-talkies on a cruise ship (or anywhere) please:

• Plug in an earpiece,
  • Remember that “inside voices” work just fine, and
  • Keep in mind that people around you, and anyone using the same unprotected frequency, can’t help but listen in.

So it may not be such a great idea to use your walkie-talkie to arrange that illicit mid-afternoon rendezvous in your stateroom.

Great Article: https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna20605873

• 7 months later...

I spent 10 years in the two way communication industry. Police, Fire, Business radios and during the CB radio hey day.

One of the things we had to teach people over and over was about the push to talk button. That it took half a second for the transmitter to come up and make a connection and to NOT start talking before the radio had a chance to connect. And not to yell.