Utopia Of the Seas

Booked late August, B2B, in sky jr. suite... mentioned in other thread, but was shocked that when I booked (8am today) the price difference between a sky jr. suite and regular jr. suite (without sky suite benefits) was only $20 per person (for 4 of us).  That's a no-brainer.  

Just looked again and, three hours later, there are no longer any sky jr. suites available for booking for our sail dates... 

On 6/20/2023 at 9:17 AM, smokeybandit said:

Utopia opens for bookings on Royal Caribbean’s website as soon as Friday, June 23. Crown & Anchor Society loyalty members can book on Thursday, June 22.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2023/06/20/royal-caribbean-announces-utopia-of-the-seas-will-start-short-cruises-july-2024

What a waste of a nice new ship to use it on 3 and 4 night cruises where it is going to get constantly abused by those that sail it.

Just my opinion, but doesn't look like a good business decision from my perspective.

1 minute ago, CruiseGus said:

What a waste of a nice new ship to use it on 3 and 4 night cruises where it is going to get constantly abused by those that sail it.

Uhh.... ok?  Presumptuous much?  Didn't realize folks cruising on 7-day cruises were higher-quality passengers?  

The cruising world is changing... evolve or die... 

I suspect RCCL will be laughing all the way to the bank... with much higher daily rates and on board spend... 

11 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

Just my opinion, but doesn't look like a good business decision from my perspective.

If people want to pay Disney prices for a 3-night cruise, it'll look like a good business decision

59 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

Perhaps you may want to click on the link below where Royal's Chef Marketing Strategist explains why they are putting a brand new ship on 3/4 night cruises. 

Here is a brief synopsis, Royal has seen a shift and an increase in demand since 2019 in customers doing 3 and 4 night cruises. Back in 2018, 2019 when Royal placed ships like Navigator, Mariner, Freedom, Independence, Liberty in the weekend market their strategy was to give weekend cruise a great impression of Royal.  They wanted to remove some of the older smaller ships from that market and showcase some of the best ships in their fleet.

According to Royal many first time cruisers start with 3 or 4 night weekend cruises also since the pandemic there has been increased demand for 3 and 4 night Bahamas cruises not just with first time cruises but also repeat customers who are taking more weekend cruises than ever before.  

Royal stated while Icon will be the Ultimate Family Vacation they are purposely placing Utopia into the 3 and 4 night Bahamas market to create the Ultimate Weekend Vacation.  Between Utopia and Coco Cay according to their strategist Royal is creating more of a resort like vibe with more choices like entertainment, adventure, restaurants, etc.  When Utopia launches there will be more for guest to indulge in, more to do onboard than one person can reasonable do on a 3 or 4 night cruise and that is by design.

I love sailing on Freedom and Independence but if Royals Chief Marketing Strategist has done his job Utopia's arrival in this market is going to change 3/4 night Bahamas cruise market for the foreseeable future.  Placing one of your best products into a red hot market that is ripe with first time cruisers and repeat customers isn't a waste of a new ship it is a spectacular move, and one that will force both NCL and Carnival to respond.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/royal-caribbean-utopia-short-cruises/

Would have loved to experience an inaugural since it's unlikely another one will take place from my home port during my wife's free time anytime soon but I can't bring myself to pay the premium.

Considering going on a B2B during Spring Break 2025. Price isn't great but isn't horrible either.

Decisions, decisions...

I have only done one Oasis class ship (Allure) which didn’t have the mason jar.  I was going to do Wonder but I think this short cruise fits my just fine and it has Mason Jar.  I did inquire about one of the neighborhood balconies which I have never done before.  

How long do people tend to hang out on the boardwalk? The Boardwalk balcony seemed to be the cheapest.

I was going to do the inaugural sailing but cancel after reading everyone’s comments about the kinks needing to be worked out.

We looked at Utopia as it coincided nicely with our Harmony cruise, but the price was just to steep for us. It costs the same price for 4 nights on Utopia as it cost for 8 nights on Harmony, that coupled with the fact it is the same cruise itinerary as our Harmony cruise.

I also compared to Allure which is doing the same cruise and the prices are way out of wack.

We would have liked to try a brand-new ship but $2000NZDpn for a Sky Junior Suite is just too much to justify.

We will probably head off to New York and spend a week there as it has been 10 years since we were last there.

8 minutes ago, Gilley said:

How long do people tend to hang out on the boardwalk?

Playmakers is on the Boardwalk and open late (not sure how much that matters as I don't stay up late and haven't experienced it). There are also late night aqua shows a couple times per sailing.

Thanks, I didn’t think about that. I’m looking at December, not sure if there is a lot of sports going on in December. I’m not a sports fan so I can’t think of anything happening.  That might make a difference if there are things like playoff or championship games.  

I wonder what is the latest playmakers stays open as I think that would be the loudest noise especially if there are any sports games.   

If anyone knows what time it closes that would help with my decision.

3 minutes ago, Gilley said:

Thanks, I didn’t think about that. I’m looking at December, not sure if there is a lot of sports going on in December. I’m not a sports fan so I can’t think of anything happening.  That might make a difference if there are things like playoff or championship games.  

I wonder what is the latest playmakers stays open as I think that would be the loudest noise especially if there are any sports games.   

If anyone knows what time it closes that would help with my decision.

The stop serving food at 11pm but I think 12:30/1am is when they close.

But keep in mind the boardwalk has the aqua theater, giant TV, and rock-climbing wall. I know recently on sailings this year they have done climbing under the stars and movies under the stars. 

7 minutes ago, Gilley said:

Thanks @Ampurp85 I didn’t even think about late night movies.  For some reason I thought they did movies in the pool area on a pool deck.

I believe it is both, I have also seen sports on the giant Aqua theater TVs. We were on Oasis this past Jan and the Boardwalk was ridiculously busy as late as 11pm. 

2 hours ago, GatorCruiser said:

I’m assuming all these guests booking these short ones are Floridians and I guess people already on vacay in Orlando. I have zero desire to do a short one, but I guess I am in the minority. 

I suspect for a lot of non-locals they will combine this with a stay in the Orlando area ... Do 3 - 4 days at the theme parks and then 3-4 days on the cruise

Very popular structure for folks cruising Disney Cruise Line - they have their newest ship doing similar 3 and 4 day cruises 

28 minutes ago, TheMaxRebo said:

I suspect for a lot of non-locals they will combine this with a stay in the Orlando area ... Do 3 - 4 days at the theme parks and then 3-4 days on the cruise

Very popular structure for folks cruising Disney Cruise Line - they have their newest ship doing similar 3 and 4 day cruises 

I think this is the strategy. Royal is considerably less than DCL. Royal is actively recruiting the Disney cruiser. 

The short Florida market is different from the regular cruise market.  Royal saw this trend and they amplified it by placing amplified ships on the short Florida market. 

Royal does a lot of market research.  I get that a seasoned or regular cruiser may not be into the short Florida market but I think Royal knows what they are doing.  Just as China and Asia in general is different from the historical Caribbean market, so is the short Florida market.

The beauty of a cruise ship is the ability to deploy them as the markets and regions evolve and change.  That is what Royal is doing.  Two, four, six years from now they can redeploy ships to suit the landscape of the future.  Right now, they are deploying to satisfy the market that is available.     

Royal is as much driving change in the short Florida market as they are participating in the evolving short Florida market.

I believe this will be proven a successful endeavor looking back once we are in the future. 

18 minutes ago, twangster said:

The short Florida market is different from the regular cruise market.  Royal saw this trend and they amplified it by placing amplified ships on the short Florida market. 

I would add that the fuel costs are significantly lower (and thus profitability)

Making an approximately 400 mile loop twice in a week uses much less fuel than 1,500 miles or more on a 7 night Eastern or Western Caribbean. 

I was told once on bridge tour that at 20 knots a ship is using more than 90% of fuel on propulsion and the rest maintaining ship systems. 

9 hours ago, Uncwmark said:

Booked late August, B2B, in sky jr. suite... mentioned in other thread, but was shocked that when I booked (8am today) the price difference between a sky jr. suite and regular jr. suite (without sky suite benefits) was only $20 per person (for 4 of us).  That's a no-brainer.  

Just looked again and, three hours later, there are no longer any sky jr. suites available for booking for our sail dates... 

Our sky class JS is now $800 higher than it was this morning. 

Once again: to get the best price: you MUST book early the day they are released. 

59 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

I would add that the fuel costs are significantly lower (and thus profitability)

Making an approximately 400 mile loop twice in a week uses much less fuel than 1,500 miles or more on a 7 night Eastern or Western Caribbean. 

I was told once on bridge tour that at 20 knots a ship is using more than 90% of fuel on propulsion and the rest maintaining ship systems. 

LNG has significantly lower energy by volume compared to HFO.   They'll consume much more LNG to go the same distance.  They aren't going to LNG to save money. 

So a lot of fuel savings on Utopia short Florida will be lost due to higher consumption.  

10 hours ago, Gilley said:

Do you think it will be cheaper to book this through next cruise while sailing?  Will there be any perks given that you cannot get just by calling?

Your best chance for any discounts would be if a Travel Agent has a group rate offering for any sailing.  If you have some flexibility on your date, I would go down that path.  Good luck to you.

3 hours ago, Xaa said:

Your best chance for any discounts would be if a Travel Agent has a group rate offering for any sailing.  If you have some flexibility on your date, I would go down that path.  Good luck to you.

Agreed. Even if you don’t have flexibility it’s still worth asking a good TA if they have a group rate for a specific sailing.

That’s how I wound up with Spring Break 2025 on hold. We more or less follow the school calendar where my teacher wife works. Inflated prices in March & Summers but what can ya do? Can only play the hand your dealt.

Had 1st 2 sailings put on hold… crazy prices. Asked TA to check spring break & the inflated price really wasn’t awful, plus get OBC x2 as a B2B as opposed to doing onc 7-nighter, D+ would cover all internet b/c we just share an account so B2B gives us more free days than we’ll be on the ship. Parking at PC, you only pay for the 1st half of the B2B in the parking garage. Small perks like that add up & help with the inflation. Made the price similar to Wonder for Spring Break 2025.

3 hours ago, Xaa said:

Exactly what I ended up doing…but not before I booked my own reservation as refundable.  Lucky for me I did refundable because I now have the same OVBalcony booked for September and paying $600+ less!  
I never used a TA before as I love doing everything myself BUT I had to give in this time because the $$ I’m saving will most likely pay for at least my drink package and possibly a nice chunk of my husband’s!

9 hours ago, twangster said:

LNG has significantly lower energy by volume compared to HFO.   They'll consume much more LNG to go the same distance.  They aren't going to LNG to save money. 

So a lot of fuel savings on Utopia short Florida will be lost due to higher consumption.  

My statement wasn’t addressing fuel source decision and thus volume consumed. Yes LNG has lower energy density so volume will be higher per unit of distance travelled. 

My statement is that the short Bahama cruises use less fuel (of any type) making Bahama loop twice in a week than the much farther Eastern or Western Caribbean week long sailings. 

To further describe this, when on Allure sailing from Galveston, the ship is near peak fuel consumption, per officer on bridge, when returning to Galveston from Cozumel. 700 nautical miles in 36 hours, approximately 19 nautical miles per hour. Ships from Florida to Bahamas never need to reach this speed, especially traveling from Nassau to CocoCay overnight. 

11 hours ago, Jill said:

I think this is the strategy. Royal is considerably less than DCL. Royal is actively recruiting the Disney cruiser. 

Yup - and worked for us. We used to do Disney but they just priced us out. We did RCL for the first time this past February after a week on Symphony was less than 4 days in the Wish, even after adding in unlimited dining. And my family had a blast and are now booked on Icon for next February

But their adds are definitely going after that Disney Family crowd with calling Icon the ultimate family vacation and now Utopia as the ultimate family weekend 

Stepping back, it's easy to see that Royal made an excellent decision to hype Icon so high before introducing Utopia.   I keep reading, "...the price [for Utopia] wasn't horrible...".  By putting Icon out there with their absolutely insanely high prices, bringing Utopia out with only moderately insanely high prices makes Utopia seem "reasonable".  Most people don't do a cost-per-day comparison (kudos to those of you that do) so the moderately insane Utopia prices seem reasonable....but many don't stop to think that these Utopia sailings are only 3/7 or 4/7 the length of an Icon sailing.  I do realize that Icon is a completely different product, targeted at a completely different audience....but the price comparison is working in Royal's favor.