Felony Conviction

Is it permissible to cruise with a felony conviction from over 20 years ago in which ALL requirements concerning the conviction has been met?

Is there a type of specific felony conviction that is not permitted?  

On a cruise to the Caribbean/Bahamas, are there restrictions concerning a felony conviction when disembarking at a port for excursions? 

1 hour ago, Smilin Cheri said:

Is it permissible to cruise with a felony conviction from over 20 years ago in which ALL requirements concerning the conviction has been met?

On a cruise to the Caribbean/Bahamas, are there restrictions concerning a felony conviction when disembarking at a port for excursions? 

I would imagine as long as you have a passport then nothing is going to stop you from traveling.  I don't know of anyone that has been asked their criminal background when booking a cruise or a vacation.  

Foreign destinations create travel restrictions based on their own criteria.  Typically those foreign countries don't differentiate how you arrive, on a ship, ferry, car, bus, train or a plane as it relates to their policy for what they deem to be acceptable admission criteria for visitors.

Canada for example has been known to deny entry to certain criminal offenders regardless how they arrive including cruise ship travel.  

Ultimately it is up to each country visited during a cruise to establish if someone is admissible or not.  Arrival by cruise ship and the cruise line has no bearing in that determination.  If you can fly there, you should be able to arrive by cruise ship.  

The cruise line won't ask about your criminal past, the onus is on the guest to ensure they are acceptable for admission into every country visited.

31 minutes ago, twangster said:

Canada for example has been known to deny entry to certain criminal offenders regardless how they arrive including cruise ship travel.  

Just made the news recently, oddly enough. A performer had to cancel a planned concert because one of the members of their stage crew had an old conviction and was denied entry by CBP.

42 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I don't understand why that information would be pertinent, unless you are a registered sex offender/pedophile.

Canada and Mexico do not admit people with DUI's. Even small offenses can be cause for concern when traveling. You don't have to be a pedophile or murderer to be concerned. That said many Caribbean destinations don't look at very much. But the type of crime can play into there decision on letting someone enter. Main concern would be Canada and Mexico. 20 year old drug possession conviction would not be as big an issue as murder or sex offense in most Caribbean destinations. Many have done stupid things at 18yrs old etc. Time past plays a factor. You learn a lot when trying to cruise with someone with an old dui. I've read everything on every destination. Lol.

43 minutes ago, GKMCruising said:

Just made the news recently, oddly enough. A performer had to cancel a planned concert because one of the members of their stage crew had an old conviction and was denied entry by CBP.

That's right. Someone in the Zac Brown Band

42 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Canada and Mexico do not admit people with DUI's. Even small offenses can be cause for concern when traveling. You don't have to be a pedophile or murderer to be concerned. That said many Caribbean destinations don't look at very much. But the type of crime can play into there decision on letting someone enter. Main concern would be Canada and Mexico. 20 year old drug possession conviction would not be as big an issue as murder or sex offense in most Caribbean destinations. Many have done stupid things at 18yrs old etc. Time past plays a factor. You learn a lot when trying to cruise with someone with an old dui. I've read everything on every destination. Lol.

Wow I didn't know that I was merely thinking about the cruise lines asking certain things. 

2 hours ago, Smilin Cheri said:

If you have a valid passport you should have no problem getting on board. The cruise line is never the problem. It's boarder agents. As far as disembarking at a port for excursions, I would need to know the ports and the conviction specifics. Having a valid passport and 20 plus years in the bank should cover many possibilities. A valid passport would be a great start.

• 3 months later...
On 10/24/2022 at 12:52 PM, Ampurp85 said:

I don't understand why that information would be pertinent, unless you are a registered sex offender/pedophile.

It is definitely pertinent information. There are some countries which will not allow guests to disembark if they are not up to date on child support payments, have a DUI, and other things. It's not just sex offenders.

I’ll share some personal experience with entry to Canada and American citizens with a past DUI conviction.   My US conviction was in 1997. I finally bit the bullet and applied for a pardon in 2012. My wife and I married in 1999 and she has dual US/Canadian citizenship, so we go there frequently.  Luckily, when I finally applied for a pardon, there was a Canadian Immigration officer at the Calais, ME/St Stephens, NB port of entry who was willing to take the time to walk me through everything.  

I was never asked for any documentation when we cruised to Canada last fall, but I damn sure had it with me.

Disclaimer: My information was current as of 2012.   I would be surprised it it’s gotten any easier.  

Imagine getting ready to disembark at a Canadian port for your shore excursion and dealing with this:

On the surface, an American citizen with DUI conviction is prohibited from entering Canada. 

If you go to a border crossing with the intent of entering Canada and are not asked, you do not have to volunteer the information, and can go on your merry way.  If asked, and you lie, and the Canadian Immigration does a background check, you will be 100% banned from ever entering, no chance at a waiver or pardon.  If you tell the truth, it’s up to the Immigration officer at the port you are entering at to decide if you should be granted a waiver for that trip only .  I forget what the cost was, but an on the spot waiver will cost you.  If you cross at a port of entry where the Canadian Immigration office is closed, you’re sol.  (Many times we drove a longer distance when going to my in-laws so we would be crossing at a port with 24 hour immigration staff in case I was questioned). 

You can petition the Canadian government (federal, not provincial) for a pardon. As I recall, it was $500 Canadian, but I’m not 100% sure as it was a while ago.   The pardon is not guaranteed, and it’s not fast in coming if granted.  It’s quite a process.  

50 minutes ago, BMW Hoosier said:

So, Canada, in some cases, will issue a pardon for a crime in the US? You learn something new every day. 

They aren’t issuing a pardon in the sense that your record is all clear.   They are allowing a non-citizen to enter their country with a specific criminal conviction in the United States 

My DUI will forever and ever be in my record regardless of where I go.  

5 hours ago, teddy said:

They aren’t issuing a pardon in the sense that your record is all clear.   They are allowing a non-citizen to enter their country with a specific criminal conviction in the United States 

My DUI will forever and ever be in my record regardless of where I go.  

I understand they aren't doing anything to your record. Just interesting that they use the term pardon. Actually, many states do actually purge DUIs after a lengthy period of time on your driving record and some states purge them from their state criminal history repository. 

• 2 months later...

Husband and I booked a cruise 1-1-23 and only yesterday 5-3-23 was called for a cruise setting sail 5-21-23 on Wonder of the Seas they canceled the cruise for sex offender status from 2001. Non aggrevated statutary sex offender crime that was also taken to court in 2018 and no longer has to file as a sex offender. We had already received our tickets and can't find or obtain policy that says why he was being discriminated. Why would they wait 5 months to cancel a paid in full trip and release cruise documents/tickets to then cancel last minute for someone that is absolutely no risk to others. This is the first cruise as a family trip with 8 other cabins booked. Had to tell our 4 and 8 year old we are no longer going on a trip they have anticipated with there cousins for 5 months because the cruise company canceled last minute. When asked they are allowing aggravated felony crimes. Only sex offenders are being banned for life on all royal carribean and affiliated companies despite how long ago or severity of crime. 

Screenshot_20230504_164543_Gmail.jpg

1 hour ago, M Costa said:

Husband and I booked a cruise 1-1-23 and only yesterday 5-3-23 was called for a cruise setting sail 5-21-23 on Wonder of the Seas they canceled the cruise for sex offender status from 2001. Non aggrevated statutary sex offender crime that was also taken to court in 2018 and no longer has to file as a sex offender. We had already received our tickets and can't find or obtain policy that says why he was being discriminated. Why would they wait 5 months to cancel a paid in full trip and release cruise documents/tickets to then cancel last minute for someone that is absolutely no risk to others. This is the first cruise as a family trip with 8 other cabins booked. Had to tell our 4 and 8 year old we are no longer going on a trip they have anticipated with there cousins for 5 months because the cruise company canceled last minute. When asked they are allowing aggravated felony crimes. Only sex offenders are being banned for life on all royal carribean and affiliated companies despite how long ago or severity of crime. 

Screenshot_20230504_164543_Gmail.jpg

Wow. Not that it’s a solution but would they allow you to sail with the kids and then see if there is any sort of appeal process for the future?

1 hour ago, M Costa said:

Only sex offenders are being banned for life on all royal carribean and affiliated companies despite how long ago or severity of crime. 

With so many children and families traveling, I can't really argue with this policy. I'm on that sailing. I don't have children, but I do understand the need for them to play it safe. I don't believe they have the means to review each case in great detail and have to be concerned about the legality they are exposing the company to.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. It is very interesting. I am curious if Royal performs a background check on every passenger on every sailing. I did a quick search for some of the terms like "background," "conviction," etc in a recent cruise contract and nothing came up.

17 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. It is very interesting. I am curious if Royal performs a background check on every passenger on every sailing. I did a quick search for some of the terms like "background," "conviction," etc in a recent cruise contract and nothing came up.

As tjcruisers said. 

It's also my understanding that sometime between the 30 day mark and the week leading up to departure the cruise line must submit a manifest to customs here and abroad. So then they do whatever checks they feel are necessary. In Canada a DUI is a no go. Which is extreme IMHO. But the sex offender stuff might be the cruise line themselves. They clearly don't worry about folks drinking a lot. But with so many women and children on board it's wise for them to be cautious. Even if the ports don't take issue. It's the time on board that would be a concern for some previous criminal convictions.

Unfortunately regardless of the severity of the sex crime, they have offender status. Given Royal just arrested someone, who didn't have sex offender status, because they were recording in the bathroom, I would imagine they are pretty strict.

Some people being denied boarding because of DUIs and such is a little extreme but I stand by their policy. I mean the truth is you can book a lot of stuff and they don't flag them right away.

You know, so many here have focused on Canada's DWI thing and sex offenders but never really answered the felony question. What countries have restrictions on other crimes? Is there a list? How do you find out? Only fairly recently have they demoted minor theft off the felony list in my state. What about burglary? Robbery? Murder? Yeah, there are people that have served murder sentences and are now free. I get it that each country gets to decide but how do you find out in advance?

43 minutes ago, BMW Hoosier said:

You know, so many here have focused on Canada's DWI thing and sex offenders but never really answered the felony question. What countries have restrictions on other crimes? Is there a list? How do you find out? Only fairly recently have they demoted minor theft off the felony list in my state. What about burglary? Robbery? Murder? Yeah, there are people that have served murder sentences and are now free. I get it that each country gets to decide but how do you find out in advance?

Burglary, robbery, and murder. I legit don't know the answer.

Didn't know the sex offender answer till it was brought up. (Did assume though)

Now the DUI thing. Well ....find a family without one. LOL. Then get them to tell you the truth. 

Most Caribbean countries will overlook a felony. This I've learned while researching the DUI thing. But never found a list. Wasn't looking for one. There is a DUI list so maybe Google. 

What I took from the DUI search was the...it's either 6 or 8 countries (can't remember) that have a strict DUI policy, seem to have the overall strict policies. Except Mexico. They are on the DUI 6 or 8 list. However, there seems to be a lot of flexibility with them. Especially if 10 or more years has past. Or sailing vs driving over the border. Which for DUI would make some sense. But the 10 year thing does spill over to felonies with them, IF I remember correctly. ???

Europe, like the Caribbean seems very forgiving as well. Again, just based on the DUI thing. But it seems if a country is going to look at an old DUI that was not a felony in this country as a felony in there own country, then sex offenders, robers, and murderers probably are out of luck.

I would Google the DUI 6 or 8 list first. Take them off your bucket list. Or get something expunged. That's time and money but potentially possible. After that probably best to Google each country individually. Again, the countries with the hard and fast DUI laws are a good start. And there are many sites and lists because it's a very common question.

Again, this is all default knowledge because of researching the DUI thing. Once I start reading about something new I tend to keep going. I found Mexico having strict laws surprising. Assumed they were too laid back. Canada was a surprise as well. I assumed they would be more forgiving, because of there friendly nature. It became a study on society and culture for me. Goes to show though. Google and learn, don't assume. 

6 hours ago, Mark_A said:

we were talking about Felony convictions, 

You used the term "offenses" not felonies. OK, do they check each state's standards on felonies? Use their own? States are far from uniform on felonies. In my state, failing to pay for $10 worth of gas in 1995 could result in a felony conviction. Second offense drunk driving in five years is a felony today. I don't even recall for certain if a standard NCIC check even shows whether it is a felony or not. And I also don't know how much access foreign governments have to that information. 

5 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

FFvMj4jXIAENhau.jpg

Does this mean its legal to import a polar bear if they are not pregnant? 

I do know you cannot enter the US from abroad if you have drug related offences. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how a person could figure out whether or not Canada will allow them on a cruise sooner than finding out when the passenger manifest is submitted? A family member wanting to do an Alaskan cruise isn't sure if something on her record will cause her to be denied. She would like to find out now--not 30 days (or less) pre-cruise if possible.

1 hour ago, Melnie1 said:

Does anyone know how a person could figure out whether or not Canada will allow them on a cruise sooner than finding out when the passenger manifest is submitted? A family member wanting to do an Alaskan cruise isn't sure if something on her record will cause her to be denied. She would like to find out now--not 30 days (or less) pre-cruise if possible.

Here's a list:

Crimes That Can Make You Inadmissible to Canada (temporaryresidentpermitcanada.com)

Here are three ways to possibly resolve the issue (they all take time):

Can I enter Canada with a criminal record? | Canada Immigration News (cicnews.com)

• 1 month later...

i think each case should be looked at closely as there are those people who have convictions but are actually innocent and get caught up in the crooked politics. my husband was wrongfully accused when they ebforced a law that being voted in but not actually on the books yet. not mention some rules have to many grey areas that shouldnt apply to everyone. in the case of a sex offense, people get labeled for just peeing on a tree. doesnt mean they are dangerous. 

On 5/5/2023 at 6:28 PM, CanHardlyWait said:

Burglary, robbery, and murder. I legit don't know the answer.

Didn't know the sex offender answer till it was brought up. (Did assume though)

Now the DUI thing. Well ....find a family without one. LOL. Then get them to tell you the truth. 

Most Caribbean countries will overlook a felony. This I've learned while researching the DUI thing. But never found a list. Wasn't looking for one. There is a DUI list so maybe Google. 

What I took from the DUI search was the...it's either 6 or 8 countries (can't remember) that have a strict DUI policy, seem to have the overall strict policies. Except Mexico. They are on the DUI 6 or 8 list. However, there seems to be a lot of flexibility with them. Especially if 10 or more years has past. Or sailing vs driving over the border. Which for DUI would make some sense. But the 10 year thing does spill over to felonies with them, IF I remember correctly. ???

Europe, like the Caribbean seems very forgiving as well. Again, just based on the DUI thing. But it seems if a country is going to look at an old DUI that was not a felony in this country as a felony in there own country, then sex offenders, robers, and murderers probably are out of luck.

I would Google the DUI 6 or 8 list first. Take them off your bucket list. Or get something expunged. That's time and money but potentially possible. After that probably best to Google each country individually. Again, the countries with the hard and fast DUI laws are a good start. And there are many sites and lists because it's a very common question.

Again, this is all default knowledge because of researching the DUI thing. Once I start reading about something new I tend to keep going. I found Mexico having strict laws surprising. Assumed they were too laid back. Canada was a surprise as well. I assumed they would be more forgiving, because of there friendly nature. It became a study on society and culture for me. Goes to show though. Google and learn, don't assume. 

A family without one?  That would be mine.  You really think most families have one?

4 hours ago, hodge said:

i think each case should be looked at closely as there are those people who have convictions but are actually innocent and get caught up in the crooked politics. my husband was wrongfully accused when they ebforced a law that being voted in but not actually on the books yet. not mention some rules have to many grey areas that shouldnt apply to everyone. in the case of a sex offense, people get labeled for just peeing on a tree. doesnt mean they are dangerous. 

An accusation is not a conviction and I don’t think the cruiselines have the resources to examine every case individually.  If you have been convicted of something banned, you can’t cruise so don’t pee on a tree (indecent exposure) & get caught.