Jump to content

Not liking this Delta variant surge


Recommended Posts

Well it’s not as contagious as the wicked upper respiratory I just got over! Go figure. I was SURE I had the ‘rona. Nope. Just a bad cold. 
 

However, I am somewhat concerned it may affect sailings. Gosh I hope not. My first of 4 final payments is coming due. I’m ready to go!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

All vaccines will work just fine at keeping you from getting really sick.

 

Also remember we had a surge last summer due to a new variant.  And that surge was much worse

Yeah but a positive on a cruise ship means you’re off at the next port and if caseload high enough, cruise over. I know, I know Debby Downer and all that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fact the CDC has so much control over the cruise industry could end up being a positive thing if things take a turn for the worse in the US. A cruise ship could be the safest place to be. Where else can you guarantee 90+ percent of people in an area are vaccinated?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Snowchaser said:

Stop watching the news, problem solved! ?  Most news networks ratings are in the toilet following the election and covid coverage so this is getting the attention now.  Now start packing those bags!

The J&J vaccine info, I got from the news. But the info on the impact of the Delta variant I got from my frontliner friends from 4 major hospitals here in Jacksonville.  COVID wings are opening up again, last summer’s COVID protocols have been reimplemented. That’s my cause for concern. I’m afraid CDC will impose stricter protocols again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

All vaccines will work just fine at keeping you from getting really sick.

 

Also remember we had a surge last summer due to a new variant.  And that surge was much worse

I have 2 friends currently sick (unrelated to each other) with covid, they got fully vaccinated with Pfizer months ago. One is in the hospital and the other had to go  to the ER yesterday and got hooked up to an iv drip. He said he never felt so sick in his entire life. We live in the Tampa Bay area, FL.

Adventure of the Seas had two families with covid on board last week, they had to get off in Cozumel and taken by an ambulance.

My husband and I used to live on RC ships full time for 3 years pre-covid, traveling with them all over the world. I was really hoping that we can get back to our real life by now. We have 38 cruises booked, starting on August 8. We are young and healthy but we are not sure if this is the right time for us to return cruising. Which is really devastating. The last thing I want is to get covid on a cruise ship and not let back to the US. That is a very scary thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

All vaccines will work just fine at keeping you from getting really sick.

Cant say that! As with any medication what works for 1 may not work for another. Same with virus it may hit 1 person much worse than another. Yes most will be fine however there will be some that are not

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

I’m hoping this will not disrupt sailings in the Fall & Winter season.  I have 7 booked.

Just heard on the news that the J&J vaccine, which I got, may not be effective against the Delta variant.

Ai ai ai

Yet the earliest news stories reported that the Janssen (J&J) vaccine was MORE effective than the others against the variant. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I think the surge won't affect cruises too much, at least it is that I hope. I remember it was worse in the summer than fall/winter last year. I cruise in Oct and I am positive vibe-ing it that nothing happens.

I’ll positive-vibe with you even with my Debby Downer post above. We sail late October 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

The J&J vaccine info, I got from the news. But the info on the impact of the Delta variant I got from my frontliner friends from 4 major hospitals here in Jacksonville.  COVID wings are opening up again, last summer’s COVID protocols have been reimplemented. That’s my cause for concern. I’m afraid CDC will impose stricter protocols again

It’s pretty worrisome here in Jax. My friend’s husband (who’s had 2 heart attacks and a bypass) was sent home with Covid because there were no beds at Baptist South. Mayo and Memorial also were full. His cardiologist got him into Flagler for an antibody infusion and he’s turned around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just read a research article comparing the three vaccines in regards to the delta variant:

Pfizer

 In early May, the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was found to be more than 95% effective against severe disease or death from the Alpha variant (first detected in the United Kingdom) and the Beta variant (first identified in South Africa) in two studies based on real-world use of the vaccine. While the efficacy against infection varied between the two studies, both also showed the vaccine provides strong protection. As far as the Delta variant (first seen in India), two studies reported by Public Health England that have not yet been peer reviewed showed that full vaccination (after two doses) is 88% effective against symptomatic disease and 96% effective against hospitalization.

Moderna

Some research has suggested that Moderna’s vaccine may provide protection against the Alpha and Beta variants. Researchers are still studying this. While more research is needed on Moderna’s efficacy against Delta, some experts believe it may work similarly to Pfizer since both are mRNA vaccines.

Johnson & Johnson

This vaccine’s effectiveness has been shown to offer protection against the Alpha variant. According to the analyses the FDA released in late February, there was 64% overall efficacy and 82% efficacy against severe disease in South Africa, where the Beta variant was first detected. Johnson & Johnson reported in July that its vaccine is also effective against the Delta variant, showing only a small drop in potency compared with its effectiveness against the original strain of the virus.

IMO it seems that younger individuals are more susceptible to the delta variant than other age groups. Not to say that other age groups won't get it because they do, as this is really coming on strong to those who have yet to be vaccinated.  

I will actually feel very safe on my cruise next month!

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Yet the earliest news stories reported that the Janssen (J&J) vaccine was MORE effective than the others against the variant. 


The news will say whatever gets them the highest ratings at the current moment.  I’m haven’t watched tv news AT ALL since late last year and life is so much more pleasant and peaceful.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Jill said:

It’s pretty worrisome here in Jax. My friend’s husband (who’s had 2 heart attacks and a bypass) was sent home with Covid because there were no beds at Baptist South. Mayo and Memorial also were full. His cardiologist got him into Flagler for an antibody infusion and he’s turned around. 

So orry to hear this, Jill.  I'm glad he's getting better.  Did you say that he had already been vaccinated ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:


The news will say whatever gets them the highest ratings at the current moment.  I’m haven’t watched tv news AT ALL since late last year and life is so much more pleasant and peaceful.

 

Correct. The news will take a very small, minute negative of anything and blow it up so large so that they can try to get higher ratings by make it, "Breaking News"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that we all know that CoVid will more than likely never be a thing of the past. It is something that I'm sure will be with us for a very long time. I for one am not going to sit around worrying about this variant or that variant, or listen to all the negative news. Do I know people who have had the virus, yes I do, so I know what it's all about. But I can't live my life in fear and not do the things that I love to do. And that includes cruising. If for some reason my cruise gets canceled, so be it, I will just book another one. But I'm not going to cancel the one I have next month just because of a variant and what it may or may not do. Life is way too short not to enjoy it!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:


The news will say whatever gets them the highest ratings at the current moment.  I’m haven’t watched tv news AT ALL since late last year and life is so much more pleasant and peaceful.

 

 

14 minutes ago, LovetoCruise87 said:

Correct. The news will take a very small, minute negative of anything and blow it up so large so that they can try to get higher ratings by make it, "Breaking News"

How I wish turning off the TV and shutting out the news could put an end to all this craziness.  Unfortunately, at least here in Jacksonville, our hospitals are being taken over again by COVID cases, putting elective surgeries and procedures on hold.  Like I said in an earlier post, I did not get that from the news, but from real world frontliner friends who are exposed to that reality everyday.  I am blessed to be able to work from home, but as a minister, it breaks my heart every time I get a request for prayer for COVID patients.  I've officiated one too many funerals during this crisis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While no surge in any disease is something to be happy about, I plan to put on a brave face and go about my normal life.  I'm retiring in about a month and I don't plan to hide out!

There are people that have a lot to gain from keeping us in our houses, scared and alone (TV news ratings for example).  However, I believe we'd all be better off to just ignore them and go forward.

Will this affect cruising?  Hard to say. The cruise lines are in a tough spot if the CDC says no, or even yes with unsatisfactory restrictions.  If Royal is sailing, I plan to be on Royal.  Diamond status awaits! ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, LovetoCruise87 said:

But I'm not going to cancel the one I have next month just because of a variant and what it may or may not do. Life is way too short not to enjoy it!!! 

I think this view, even expanded to most human activity, is representative of the general mood at least here in the US and in other countries where vax rates are fairly high. Facts on the ground indicate the control of the virus measured in appropriate metrics - and that is not new case numbers! - is decent (manageable) if not perfect (virus eradication). @Jill's story about her husband's medical care as a now recovering COVID patient are not singular. We just never hear about this yet the strikingly improved life saving medical management of patient's admitted with COVID is another encouraging, mostly unrecognized in the media's fear narrative, contribution to the reasonable control of the virus I speak of. 

It is this kind of realty, this kind of pushback against the re-imposition of past mitigation measures that has the potential of preventing policy makers from re-imposing them. Frankly, of all settings where more than a handful of people will gather, the facts on the ground bely the scientists', virologist's and epidemiologist's often strident views about the risk of cruise ships as dangerous congregate settings that are disease spreaders. They clearly aren't and hats off to the cruise lines for this remarkable accomplishment.  

The risk to our enjoyment of cruising though is very real. The CDC does not want it's capacity to act, without the slightest oversight, in a PHE and they are fighting hard to keep the status quo. The good thing is that I don't think the political will to go back to any kind of full-scale restrictions that might impact the cruise industry is there. Although we may be biased here and I for one acknowledge that I am, serious questions about government's authority to curtail personal freedoms and economic activity are being raised by FL v. Bacerra. Just re-read Judge Merryday's 124 page opinion in this case and set aside all the distracting appeals process to get an idea of that reality. Read Governor Deasantis' comments he made on Monday about his intent to appeal the appeal asking, "how can a government agency have the authority to shut down an industry?"

That we have many voices in government like Desantis asking these questions bodes well for our continued enjoyment of the cruising life. I remain reasonably confident that the smackdown Merryday gave the CDC will carry the day in one form or another. That will ultimately curtail the kind of intrusive government abuse evidenced by that of the CDC during this pandemic.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JeffB said:

I think this view, even expanded to most human activity, is representative of the general mood at least here in the US and in other countries where vax rates are fairly high. Facts on the ground indicate the control of the virus measured in appropriate metrics - and that is not new case numbers! - is decent (manageable) if not perfect (virus eradication). @Jill's story about her husband's medical care as a now recovering COVID patient are not singular. We just never hear about this yet the strikingly improved life saving medical management of patient's admitted with COVID is another encouraging, mostly unrecognized in the media's fear narrative, contribution to the reasonable control of the virus I speak of. 

It is this kind of realty, this kind of pushback against the re-imposition of past mitigation measures that has the potential of preventing policy makers from re-imposing them. Frankly, of all settings where more than a handful of people will gather, the facts on the ground bely the scientists', virologist's and epidemiologist's often strident views about the risk of cruise ships as dangerous congregate settings that are disease spreaders. They clearly aren't and hats off to the cruise lines for this remarkable accomplishment.  

The risk to our enjoyment of cruising though is very real. The CDC does not want it's capacity to act, without the slightest oversight, in a PHE and they are fighting hard to keep the status quo. The good thing is that I don't think the political will to go back to any kind of full-scale restrictions that might impact the cruise industry is there. Although we may be biased here and I for one acknowledge that I am, serious questions about government's authority to curtail personal freedoms and economic activity are being raised by FL v. Bacerra. Just re-read Judge Merryday's 124 page opinion in this case and set aside all the distracting appeals process to get an idea of that reality. Read Governor Deasantis' comments he made on Monday about his intent to appeal the appeal asking, "how can a government agency have the authority to shut down an industry?"

That we have many voices in government like Desantis asking these questions bodes well for our continued enjoyment of the cruising life. I remain reasonably confident that the smackdown Merryday gave the CDC will carry the day in one form or another. That will ultimately curtail the kind of intrusive government abuse evidenced by that of the CDC during this pandemic.    

Great statements and I completely agree. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...