Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Testing onboard is working. 2 Passengers on CelebrityMillennium test positive.


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Same for unvaccinated people

Truth. - but it certainly lessens the chances in vulnerable populations, which is why we typically vaccinate for chicken pox, measles, meningitis, rubella, etc.   Very few people die of measles, but it is insanely communicable and certainly makes for an uncomfortable journey as your body fights the virus.  Similar with covid, no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:


I’m curious what will happen if somebody’s fully vaccinated, had Covid previously, and tests positive on the the cruise.  It would obviously have to be a false positive ….. I wonder what would happen to them in that case?

 

Not necessarily true... you can have COVID more than once (in rare cases) and with the variants of COVID that exist, including the more contagious variant "Delta" now found in 6% of new cases and causing a surge in cases in the UK, those odds increase.  Depending on which vaccine you had, they are only protective 60%-88% of the time for this Delta variant.  This is why there will likely need to be a booster shots similar to seasonal flu shots.

Bottom line is that the protocols are working and that is the take home message for everyone to have confidence in cruising.  😀 I know I have confidence to cruise in August on my Allure sailing!  

Taken from RC website, if you test positive at least you get a refund and they arrange and pay for you to quarantine and get home:

+++++++++++++++

What costs are covered in case I test positive for SARS-CoV-2 during the cruise?
A  If a guest who followed our protocols tests positive during his/her cruise and is required to quarantine onboard, is removed from the ship mid-cruise or denied reboarding as a result, the impacted guest will receive a full refund. Additionally, Royal Caribbean will cover the cost of onboard medical treatment and any required land-based quarantine for that guest, and will arrange and pay any additional costs incurred by the guests for safe travel home.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Biff215 said:

Didn’t have time to stay and watch the story, but Good Morning America ran it at the top of the show and referred to it as “chaos”. 🤦‍♂️

I did watch it even recorded the episode for wife to see when she come home.  Yes the headline,2 second coming later said "Chaos" but when Gio Benitez filed his report he was talking about how this was how it was supposed to work, they were immediately isolated, they did say that medical experts say breakthrough cases are extremely rare but they do happen.

This was followed up by an interview with GMA's medical expert who said that this is why it is so important that everyone be vaccinated, which surprised me.

For me this just reiterates why all cruises should be only for those fully vaccinated if eligible, there are going to be cases and when the un-vaccinated contract it it will be worse for all involved

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

unless i misread your statement, how are unvacinated peoples chance of them becoming critically ill or dying are almost zero

That's just the data that has come out of covid. Unless you're elderly or have significant underlying medical issues, odds are if you get covid it'll pass through you no worse than a flu bug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That's just the data that has come out of covid. Unless you're elderly or have significant underlying medical issues, odds are if you get covid it'll pass through you no worse than a flu bug

that is not what i have either seen or heard, know of a number of healthy people that died as a result of covid. 

Probably will never convince you of that but did feel i need to say it.

Hope you are able to cruise in the near future and your will be as enjoyable as mine will be, remember my thoughts on what you or anyone posts

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
        Voltaire (1694-1778) French writer and historian.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, steverk said:

"Chaos" hmmmm. I'm on the ship and my description would be "normal" while everyone tries to avoid the elephant in the room.

Other than the crew, I've only seen one person wearing a mask.

There's so few people on the ship that it's hard to tell if some people are hiding in their rooms, but I do find people out  and about.

Thank you for your 'live' reports

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

that is not what i have either seen or heard, know of a number of healthy people that died as a result of covid. 

Probably will never convince you of that but did feel i need to say it.

Hope you are able to cruise in the near future and your will be as enjoyable as mine will be, remember my thoughts on what you or anyone posts

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
        Voltaire (1694-1778) French writer and historian.

 

 

80% of covid deaths are 65+.  Almost 60% of deaths are 75+. This disease has hit the vulnerable very, very hard, but has hit the younger, healthier populations consistent with the flu.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hopefully there will be a forensic review  on the "how".   Retest to see if false or ambiguous, faulty test kit (that happens), maybe falsified vaccination record, perhaps an actual breakthrough?  Could be a combination of things.   Won't know until the land based physicians look at it.  I'm sure Celebrity sets up an incident team just like for accidents.  Peaks my interest, but no sense worrying about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Hopefully there will be a forensic review  on the "how".   Retest to see if false or ambiguous, faulty test kit (that happens), maybe falsified vaccination record, perhaps an actual breakthrough?  Could be a combination of things.   Won't know until the land based physicians look at it.  I'm sure Celebrity sets up an incident team just like for accidents.  Peaks my interest, but no sense worrying about it.

Based on their shore excursion schedule, I see one of two ways

 

1) They picked up covid around the same time as they did their pre-cruise test, so it was too soon for the test to pick it up

2) They were exposed to covid in Barbados, same day as the post-cruise test. But the test picked up not true infection, but just the concentration of the virus in the nasal passage from exposure, and the back to back tests picked that up.

 

In the UK there have been concerns around mass testing of vaccinated people and having people test positive due scenario 2, and not because the virus was reproducing internally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Based on their shore excursion schedule, I see one of two ways

 

1) They picked up covid around the same time as they did their pre-cruise test, so it was too soon for the test to pick it up

2) They were exposed to covid in Barbados, same day as the post-cruise test. But the test picked up not true infection, but just the concentration of the virus in the nasal passage from exposure, and the back to back tests picked that up.

 

In the UK there have been concerns around mass testing of vaccinated people and having people test positive due scenario 2, and not because the virus was reproducing internally.

I agree with your observation about the timing.

I'd guess a pre cruise stay in st. Maarten as we were restricted to ship based shore excursions in Barbados.  The "bubble" was meticulously maintained in Barbados, but we were freetovisit st. Maarten.

My snorkeling excursion in Barbados skipped the beach because it  couldn't be adequately isolated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

 

80% of covid deaths are 65+.  Almost 60% of deaths are 75+. This disease has hit the vulnerable very, very hard, but has hit the younger, healthier populations consistent with the flu.

I agree with your observations. Based on data published by the CDC, when looking at survivability/mortality rates by age group, all were consistent with the flu except for those over 70. In that age group, the flu was slightly more deadly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

 

In the UK there have been concerns around mass testing of vaccinated people and having people test positive due scenario 2, and not because the virus was reproducing internally.

Another possibility is, based on recent studies, they could have recovered previously from the virus as those individuals, vaccinated or not, can have positive test results. The testing is imperfect at best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

Another possibility is, based on recent studies, they could have recovered previously from the virus as those individuals, vaccinated or not, can have positive test results. The testing is imperfect at best.

Yes, but in that scenario it would have been picked up in the first PCR test, most likely

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, LizzyBee23 said:

Another alternative is to reject the premise of the game altogether, which in my view is what needs to happen for us to return to normal (on or off of a cruise ship).

Even if you don't realize it, you are buying into the CDC's idea that managing COVID must be premised on a zero COVID strategy. How different would our mitigation measures look if we could get public health officials to acknowledge publicly what they are already planning for privately: COVID is endemic. 

That is not what I said at all, in fact I said quite the opposite I said COVID will come onboard the ship even Richard Fain has stated as much it is how you manage it that will prevent outbreaks, but if you only test passengers 3 days prior to boarding  and never test them again how will the cruise line know to enact their COVID protocols? 

Let's use the recent MSC cruise as an example.  Several people tested positive on that ship and they don't require vaccines either to cruise because of the slow rollout in Europe.  However, the only way MSC knew they had a problem and to activated their COVID protocols, quarantine the positive passengers and ultimately disembark the positive passengers , their entire traveling party and perhaps even other passengers who were deem in "close contact" was because MSC performed testing and contact tracing during the voyage. If MSC has not performed COVID testing after the voyage was underway they never would have known COVID was onboard the ship which would have allowed COVID to spread unchecked. 

If you're going to allow unvaccinated passengers on a cruise and that cruise is making stops at several ports of call then cruise lines must perform COVID tests on passengers at some point during the voyage it is the only way to keep COVID cases onboard (and their will be cases onboard) low and prevent any type of outbreak.  COVID found it way onto two different cruise ship over the span of 2 days but in both cases what stopped COVID from spreading unchecked was because each cruise line performed COVID testing during the voyage then activated their COVID protocols.

Having COVID protocols and activating COVID protocols are two different things. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So many questions:

What kind of vacation they got , as we know JJ is less effective.

Will any port change now the protocols for visitors ?

Will anyway track the people on the ship after returning home (like testing them a week after cruise) so we know the protocols really working ?

The people who were tested positive attended a catamaran ride with food and snorkeling. I hope the crew is being tested also. The blogger who is on the ship (https://cruise.blog/taxonomy/term/4) was at this excursion and had to be at her room until her test results came back negative.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless something drastically changes, here is the outlook.

  • The people that tested positive were isolated and treated. Not left to rot, like in 2020.
  • People with close contact got isolated, tested, and most importantly...released after testing negative
  • Everyone else went on with the cruise.
  • The next sailing (and Adventure) are going as scheduled

Glad to see things handled well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Unless something drastically changes, here is the outlook.

  • The people that tested positive were isolated and treated. Not left to rot, like in 2020.
  • People with close contact got isolated, tested, and most importantly...released after testing negative
  • Everyone else went on with the cruise.
  • The next sailing (and Adventure) are going as scheduled

Glad to see things handled well.

They key to me here is they stuck with their protocols and gave other cruise lines a "I'm glad that wasn't me that had to deal with it first, but now we have confidence in our own protocols" monent

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nacho Libre said:

If they don’t clean up their act pronto on this testing nonsense, I’m just gonna cancel for March and eat the deposit,  let someone else deal with the headache,

March is a LONG ways away.  I certainly wouldn't make any decisions for March based on what's going on now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...