Baked Alaska

How do YOU carry your travel documents?

Hello all! So, most of us savvy travelers agree that carrying a passport is the smart way to go as far as our identification papers go. With that in mind, how do YOU carry your travel docs? Do you carry a passport wallet? RFID sleeve in your travel backpack? I've been stashing our docs in an RFID sleeve in my travel backpack, but am wondering if there is an easier way to go with this. So, how do you carry your docs?

1 hour ago, RickinSTL said:

My attaché (wife) carries all of them.. im not to be trusted with anything important lol  

LMAO.  My personal assistant (husband) carries all of mine...I am too lazy to carry them....this woman here doesn't ever take a purse if hubby is with me. 

We split the duties.  Dan always carries them in his sports coat pocket until we get on the plane and then I put them into a zippered section of my purse until we get to the boat, at which time Dan again assumes the coat pocket locale.  Then everything gets locked into the safety deposit box on the ship and is not moved again until we get ready to disembark.  They once again go into the coat pocket and then back into my purse and into the safe at home.  Lots of opportunities for things to get misplaced.  That's how we like it !😂

I have a hard time because I wear dresses most of the time. Money belt/passport holder don't work. Starting to panic about how bad everyone says Rome and Barcelona are with pick pockets.  I will likely wear a pick under my dress or a cross body that zips and has the cut prevent straps.  In the Caribbean I usually carry them in my waterproof passport carrier in my tote bag.  Jane

This is what we use (we have two larger ones, also Pacsafe and this one):

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BPN0ZS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put the passports in an RFID sleeve and put them into the RFID pocket in these backpacks. Overkill, I'm sure. It also holds my chromebook and accessories, plus my change of clothes for embarkation day.

Just now, spursfreak21 said:

I’m a pretty tech savvy guy but what’s the RFID sleeve for?

It blocks anyone who is nearby who has a scanner that can read the RFID chip without your permission.  Tin foil works also, but it's so unattractive.

17 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I have a hard time because I wear dresses most of the time. Money belt/passport holder don't work. Starting to panic about how bad everyone says Rome and Barcelona are with pick pockets.  I will likely wear a pick under my dress or a cross body that zips and has the cut prevent straps.  In the Caribbean I usually carry them in my waterproof passport carrier in my tote bag.  Jane

Honestly I wouldn’t even take them off the boat in Rome or Barcelona. Just carry a copy. Unless that’s where you’re boarding...

once i get to destination ie hotel or ship they are left in safe until we are leaving....i never carry proper documents about with me, doesn't matter where i am, you lose them and you are screwed, i have photograph copies of passport in secure folder on mobile just in case

22 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We split the duties.  Dan always carries them in his sports coat pocket until we get on the plane and then I put them into a zippered section of my purse until we get to the boat, at which time Dan again assumes the coat pocket locale.  Then everything gets locked into the safety deposit box on the ship and is not moved again until we get ready to disembark.  They once again go into the coat pocket and then back into my purse and into the safe at home.  Lots of opportunities for things to get misplaced.  That's how we like it !😂

What a system. It seems like you guys have done this a couple of times before! 😄

23 hours ago, ellcee said:

RFID sleeve in a passport holder. I also make copies and store somewhere completely different. just in case.

I do the same. It's a carry over from my over planning and cruise planner stalking for the previous year plus!

26 minutes ago, RestingBird said:

My wife keeps track of them, she's the organized one.  She usually has them all in a manila folder.

LMAO

My husband and I have nicknames for each other.  You can see my moniker is PIMA.  He gave me that nickname 25 yrs ago during a fight.  I called him anal, he responded if I am, than you are a Pain in My A...  

Not only does my husband have blue folders for everything in our life, but different blue folders for each aspect.  1 for our monthly bills due, 1 for paid, 1 for tax deductions, 1 for our DDs wedding, 1 for our cruise (planner to be left with our son while we are away), 1 for cruise docs (excursions pd., etc).  I blame this addiction on the Air Force 

What we use when we were traveling internationally was  Across the Body bags especially designed for travelers. They have steel reinforced shoulder straps, RFID pockets, room enough for a point and shoot camera, and most have a water bottle holder. 

Wife has a BeSafeBag by Daymakers and I have a Travelon Anti Thief Classic Bag. Both on Amazon. Mine is a bit larger than hers and can hold a 10" tablet to her 8".

17 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

LMAO

My husband and I have nicknames for each other.  You can see my moniker is PIMA.  He gave me that nickname 25 yrs ago during a fight.  I called him anal, he responded if I am, than you are a Pain in My A...  

Not only does my husband have blue folders for everything in our life, but different blue folders for each aspect.  1 for our monthly bills due, 1 for paid, 1 for tax deductions, 1 for our DDs wedding, 1 for our cruise (planner to be left with our son while we are away), 1 for cruise docs (excursions pd., etc).  I blame this addiction on the Air Force 

A place for everything and everything in it's place. Sounds reasonable to someone who once told their family during a Disney trip there was no time for pictures! What? We were on a schedule! 😂😂😂

They will not let me forget it.

Unless we are going to/from an airport, I never carry my passport when in a destination.

In our room I lock our passports, any currency we dont need immediately and we leave my wife's credit cards and my "spare" debit card as well.  Therefore if we lose our stuff out and about, we have immediate access to funds and ID at the hotel/ship.

I also keep a copy of all documents and itinerary on dropbox AND cloud email.

The only time I would take a passport with me is if I have specifically been told to do so and thats never happened.

I should add, I have a travel wallet specifically for passports that also has my Frequent Flyer cards, sim cards (if travelling overseas) and hidden pockets for cash.