35 minutes ago, caffeinated said:

Thanks! I was thinking Uber but wasn't sure if there was something I'm missing. Doesn't look like any of the hotels have a shuttle service, at least not that I can see and I'm sure a private shuttle would be more expensive than Uber.

Read more into this thread as I am not sure Uber has the rights yet to drive into the actual port. I know Lyft does, but they said Uber was going to be allowed to do so soon. 

2 hours ago, caffeinated said:

Our cruise is still far away, but I am wondering how people get from the hotel in Galveston to the cruise terminal. I know it's not too long of a walk, but I'd rather not walk with luggage.

We used a local taxi and it worked out really well. We just scheduled it 2 days ahead of time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A question for Galveston cruisers that have booked Junior Suites since the new terminal opened. I have read mixed reviews on terminal staff not honoring Junior Suite guests boarding with suite guests. Inconsistently, some have been sent through regular boarding and some through suite boarding. Royal's policy states a Junior Suite perk is priority boarding. I am interested in anyone's experience that has sailed in a Junior Suite at the new terminal. Which area were you lined up in or sent to? Thanks for your feedback.

5 hours ago, Mike n Ky said:

My personal Uber in Galveston is my sister but she will be leaving on a cruise while we are on ours...so...question about Uber...do we have to order one or are there Uber vehicles waiting at the port? Anyone know what the cost is from the terminal to Hobby?

We were waiting for pick up this morning right beside the Uber/Lyft pick up area. There were many pickups going on, and I kept over hearing people say anywhere from $75-100 for the trip to Hobby. Since we were in that area until almost 10:00 a.m., after everything died down after 9:30 a.m., there were literally Uber drivers coming up to us asking if we needed a ride. So, I think there's definitely availability! Still, it might be better to order one ahead of time.

I found out from our private car service that they will need to drop us off at the pier at 9:30am.  Our check in time is 11am.  Will we be able to enter the terminal at 9:30 or will we have to wait outside?    We are booked in a suite if that makes a difference.

I feel that's a bit early, but we don't seem to have a choice.

2 hours ago, Coda_Sarah said:

I found out from our private car service that they will need to drop us off at the pier at 9:30am.  Our check in time is 11am.  Will we be able to enter the terminal at 9:30 or will we have to wait outside?    We are booked in a suite if that makes a difference.

You should be able to get in to wait in the suite area.

6 hours ago, Coda_Sarah said:

There is a suite waiting area (shaded). You'll be let in first when they open the building around 10:00-10:15am. Definitely get your ride to drop you off at the "suites" location, as that is literally 20 feet from where you'll await entry.

If it helps, we were dropped off at 9:00 a.m. for regular entry at 11:00. We just waited in the shaded area until they let us in the building at 10:15. It was no big deal, it was kind of fun watching all of the departing cruisers having fun with all the transportation. 🤣

On 7/23/2023 at 12:41 PM, Rory said:

A question for Galveston cruisers that have booked Junior Suites since the new terminal opened. I have read mixed reviews on terminal staff not honoring Junior Suite guests boarding with suite guests. Inconsistently, some have been sent through regular boarding and some through suite boarding. Royal's policy states a Junior Suite perk is priority boarding. I am interested in anyone's experience that has sailed in a Junior Suite at the new terminal. Which area were you lined up in or sent to? Thanks for your feedback.

I'm also curious on this because I have a Jr Suite coming up in November and assumed I could use the suite entrance. Since that is one of the few perks of a Jr suite it would suck to not have it.

On 7/23/2023 at 3:55 PM, steverk said:

My mother in law sailed in a Jr suite in March out of Galveston. She was in a wheelchair and even with that she wasn't allowed to board with the suite guests.

I haven’t had a junior suite in Galveston since the new terminal opened but previously a Jr. Suite Setsail Pass just noted “Suite”.  We always walked in the Suites entrance like we were supposed to be there. Never had an issue in the old terminal. Do the Setsail passes say Junior Suite now?
image.thumb.png.e4732a5b6d2ec50cf321a5a50772accf.png

8 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

I haven’t had a junior suite in Galveston since the new terminal opened but previously a Jr. Suite Setsail Pass just noted “Suite”.  We always walked in the Suites entrance like we were supposed to be there. Never had an issue in the old terminal. Do the Setsail passes say Junior Suite now?
image.thumb.png.e4732a5b6d2ec50cf321a5a50772accf.png

I don't recall how they could tell. It's been a few months 

8 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Allure has the Suite Class (Sea, Sky, Star) so I think it may say that where it says "Suite" in your example.  Junior Suites would say "Sea".

Ok, that’s right. Here’s what it showed on an Allure cruise from the new terminal in Star Class. Sea Class might have to go through the regular check in area but should be called first if there’s a wait. I guess the JS priority boarding benefit is being called to board first, not having access to the Suites & Pinnacles area. 
image.thumb.png.74bed1500de5239c659668784315792c.png

On 7/27/2023 at 11:06 PM, Rory said:

My pass says SEA on it. I guess I will find out on 8/6. Feedback from various sources were mixed. Some were told to go through regular check in and some went through the suite entrance. Sounds like it depends on who is directing traffic! Thanks for the feedback. 

please update us on what happens

When they first started with the new terminal in Galveston they had some learning to do on the best procedures for embarkation and disembarkation. The first times we went (we have been pretty much once a month) were very painful and we heard lots of griping from folks on why it was taking so much longer than the old terminal. Over time Royal has adjusted how they process folks and now it seem everything, for the most part, is moving smoother and we rarely have any hiccups getting onboard. Our last cruise the wife was already onboard from a B2B with one of her friends and I was joining her onboard. With a 10:30 boarding time I thought I would be in the waiting area for a short while but to my surprise, when I got upstairs they had already started boarding and I was on the ship by 10:15. Kudos to Royal to changing and experimenting with the process and tweaking it to the better.

On 7/26/2023 at 11:03 PM, AshleyDillo said:

Allure has the Suite Class (Sea, Sky, Star) so I think it may say that where it says "Suite" in your example.  Junior Suites would say "Sea".

current Set Sail Pass for Allure

Jr Suite states "Sea" and we have always boarded through the suite line, I have before had to explain what "Sea" meant but have always been then allowed to board in suite area

Screenshot 2023-08-07 100053.jpg

Good to hear they've worked out the kinks it sounds like. When I was last there in December we were one of the groups that got the email stating to show up an hour later than what our boarding times said. It was a little chaotic but we showed up and pretty much walked right on. Disembark was really smooth. 

I think with Allure being largest ship to go out of Galveston combined with logistics of a new terminal just sort of threw everyone for awhile. 

Heading out on Labor Day on Voyager so with it being a smaller ship, I'm hoping it'll be pretty seamless. 

On 8/6/2023 at 3:30 PM, Rory said:

Boarded Allure today. Was directed to the Suite line, Checked in at Suite Lounge and was onboard just after 10am! Jr Suite boarding procedure was fast and great. 

Can I ask what time you got to the pier? I have an 11 am check in which is the earliest Allure has right now.  I was worried about being dropped off at 9:30 thinking it was too early!  

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Hullo! What's the word on hotels lately?

Does anyone know if hotels in Houston offer shuttles to the port?

I would recommend getting a hotel in Webster or Clear Lake (I like the Hilton Houston NASA Clear Lake) and Uber to Galveston. Galveston hotels are very pricey and when I was looking they required a 2 night stay on nights before a cruise was to leave.

Going to be cruising out of Galveston in the future and have searched this thread and found that Tremont and Harbor House were walkable to the port. I could only find old posts so they may have predated the new port. I want to confirm this. There were also a lot of nice photos of the suite boarding area line but from 2015. My search of the blog only yielded these but I’m not the best at that! Any more recent advise on nearby hotels and suite boarding area would be much appreciated @Galveston Steve any hints?

1 hour ago, Kathleen said:

Going to be cruising out of Galveston in the future and have searched this thread and found that Tremont and Harbor House were walkable to the port. I could only find old posts so they may have predated the new port. I want to confirm this. There were also a lot of nice photos of the suite boarding area line but from 2015. My search of the blog only yielded these but I’m not the best at that! Any more recent advise on nearby hotels and suite boarding area would be much appreciated @Galveston Steve any hints?

Royal built a new terminal about a year ago. It's much nicer, but not really walkable from any hotel.  

That said, the Tremont and Harbour House are still the closest nice hotels. 

With that in mind, I'd recommend staying on the mainland in League City, Webster or Kemah. It'll be much cheaper. 

5 hours ago, Kathleen said:

I try to keep my original post in this thread up to date on these details. 

No hotels are within walking distance of the new Royal Caribbean Cruise Terminal 10. If Galveston hotels are within your budget then I suggest staying in Galveston. Otherwise I would stay in Webster or Clear Lake City. You don’t want to get caught in the construction traffic on the exits further south from Webster. 

For Suites and Pinnacle boarding, enter at the right side of the building and go up the escalators on the right side of the entry hall. Ask any staff member inside or outside the building and they are glad to point you in the right direction. 

We will be returning to Galveston on Allure 9/10...I can reserve a SUV limo and the price is the same for 4 as it is for 2. We will be leaving from the cruise port asap after the doors open hoping to get picked up at 8am. If you would like to ride share to Hobby let me know. Cost without tip should be $60 per couple.

On 8/23/2023 at 3:44 PM, Mike n Ky said:

We will be returning to Galveston on Allure 9/10...I can reserve a SUV limo and the price is the same for 4 as it is for 2. We will be leaving from the cruise port asap after the doors open hoping to get picked up at 8am. If you would like to ride share to Hobby let me know. Cost without tip should be $60 per couple.

This would be a great thing to also post on your roll call.

Going to be flying in to IAH two days before our cruise, renting a car and staying near Webster. Is there any reason for me to return the car in Webster and get an Uber from there vs using a drop off location further south like La Marque, which would save some money on the Uber ride? 

On the way back to IAH, will probably do a shared transfer, though not sure with RCCL, Galveston Express or Galveston Limo. 6pm flight home so no rush.