No more Ben and Jerry's

2 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

So they are doing their own thing now. I guess it's still going to cost extra still.

Yeah this has this new CEO written all over it. Hey we can replace Ben and Jerry's ice cream with super duper cheap ice cream and have the price go up. I can literally hear him saying that. 

Sugar Beach has been a new venue added to a couple of new ships now.  Should be no surprise, they are getting rid of 3rd parties that have fees associated with using their name and replacing them with similar venues that have no "relationship" fees.  

This has been a trend now for some time.  The licensed Dreamworks characters, Michael Swartz Pubs and 150 Central Park menu, Johnny Rockets on some ships, Broadway shows and now Ben and Jerry's.  

If they do install full Sugar Beach venues to replace B&J it does open it beyond just ice cream.  

4 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Yeah this has this new CEO written all over it. Hey we can replace Ben and Jerry's ice cream with super duper cheap ice cream and have the price go up. I can literally hear him saying that. 

I've never seen a line at Ben & Jerry's on the Promenade like I do for the free soft serve line on the pool deck.  Can't get much cheaper than free.

2 hours ago, JimnKathy said:

There are MANY super premium ice creams available...some of which won't require the branding costs of Ben & Jerry's.

Oh well I'm glad they charging 2 people 12 grand for an inside cabin in Icon and then also cutting costs on branding. I mean why not just cut every cent out of it makes the CEO more money his stock options are worth more. 

While I agree that the cost-cutting maneuvers have changed how I sail on Royal. I cannot see this as a negative to fault Liberty. Ben & Jerry's at the store is way more expensive than other premium ice cream. I never purchase it at home, and I rarely see people in them on ships. And on a lot of the new classes, they serve their own. So if eliminating an expensive partnership, helps the bottom line so they can focus elsewhere, I am all for it. 

13 minutes ago, Last2Know said:

I've never seen a line at Ben & Jerry's on the Promenade like I do for the free soft serve line on the pool deck.  Can't get much cheaper than free.

I was once in the one in Allure, which is on the boardwalk. It was empty and sad. I don't know if it gets much action during summer when more kids are on, but it's easy to imagine it's not really profitable.

BTW - there is ice cream as a dessert option in the MDR every single day. It's super basic, but between that and the one in the pool deck, it makes paying for ice cream (albeit, much more elaborate) a bit "too much".

6 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

So the Ben and Jerry suite goes away also? Would have to replace the cow with something,  maybe a polar bear?

29 minutes ago, Gilley said:

Do they serve ice cream in the WJ?

Generally not. However,  they have soft serve on Radiance class and Harmony served chocolate,  vanilla and strawberry hand dipped ice cream for lunch and dinner.  Otherwise, Windjammer will sometimes serve it for dinner. 

2 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I wish they'd use Turkey Hill ice cream. Of the "store bought" brands it's the absolute best in my opinion. 

Haven't heard of Turkey Hill, but when we wanna blow $10 on a half gallon of ice cream it's Blue Bell for us.  In no particular  order Rocky Road, Cherry Vanilla, Mint Chocolate Chip & the Homemade Vanilla.

8 hours ago, JFCruise said:

I was once in the one in Allure, which is on the boardwalk. It was empty and sad. I don't know if it gets much action during summer when more kids are on, but it's easy to imagine it's not really profitable.

BTW - there is ice cream as a dessert option in the MDR every single day. It's super basic, but between that and the one in the pool deck, it makes paying for ice cream (albeit, much more elaborate) a bit "too much".

The ice cream served in the main dining room is actually pretty good...I sampled a few bites here and there on our last cruise with the grandkids. 🙂 

On 12/13/2023 at 7:24 PM, RCIfan1912 said:

I wish they'd use Turkey Hill ice cream. Of the "store bought" brands it's the absolute best in my opinion. 

I think that's fairly regional....are you from the PA or Midatlantic area in General? 

On 12/13/2023 at 7:00 PM, cruisellama said:

So the Ben and Jerry suite goes away also? Would have to replace the cow with something,  maybe a polar bear?

It was basically gone already... all of the cow motif inside has been gone for a while, apparently and I think they removed most of the perks over the past few months. I guess they knew this was coming and started clearing it out ahead of time. 

2 hours ago, ScottD said:

I think that's fairly regional....are you from the PA or Midatlantic area in General? 

The regionality of Turkey Hill is greatly reduced. It was available in the Mid-Atlantic region as long ago as when I was in college (early '80s) and nowhere else. Now it is readily available in both Southwest Ohio and much of North Carolina (it's the largest portion of non-store brand ice cream in our local grocery stores).

I guess I don't much care what brand they use, as long as it's good ice cream.  There are many very good regional ice creams.

What I was thinking, and kind've hoped for, is maybe backing away from Ben and Jerry's, they might relocate the ice cream counter.  On Navigator, the counter extends into the Promenade enough to make it a real bottle neck.  Huddled around the area of the Veteran's Day service, which is in front of the ice cream counter, folks got genuinely angry with us for being in their way.🥴 

7 hours ago, ScottD said:

It was basically gone already... all of the cow motif inside has been gone for a while, apparently and I think they removed most of the perks over the past few months. I guess they knew this was coming and started clearing it out ahead of time. 

Yeah its regional thought to the North East. We are in NJ where we sail from. 🤣 It is excellent store bought ice cream.

I wonder if all the negative press/politics/attention this summer played any role and made Royal's decision easier to cut bait with the brand (I'm sure cost-cutting was primary reason!)... I'm assuming they want to steer clear of anything that may be considered controversial!

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/ben-jerrys-independence-day-message-calls-stolen-indigenous-land-returned-native-americans

image.png.b8d549f32567667092a55d8a668d7b79.png

https://www.benjerry.com/whats-new/2023/07/stolen-indigenous-land

image.png.b6beb3ebf9eeed5b84d368f9ca841bde.png

https://www.newsweek.com/ben-jerrys-icecream-indigenous-compensation-vermont-headquarters-1812807

This post made me think of this... maybe made the decision easier for Royal? Less expensive/cost-cutting alternative and avoidance of any possible controversy. 🤔

On 12/13/2023 at 6:00 PM, cruisellama said:

According to the article, the theming and benefits went away a little bit ago. Guess it was in preparation for the end of the partnership

1 hour ago, bobroo said:

Next up on the gallows: Johnny Rockets???

we joke but I do think this is the direction they're going overall. Dropped Jaime's for their in-house Giovanni's; dropped b&J for their in-house Ice cream; starting to serve more Starbucks at cafe promenade so I imagine the kiosks will be going away soon....and yeah..JR probably going next..

Which really does suck when compared to whale-tail line or the house of mouse that really lean into brand deals and theming to pull people aboard....

I don't know if having their own stuff is really going to entice new cruisers to pick Royal over the other options out there... Sometimes people need that taste of the familiar to pull them to try something new

15 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

we joke but I do think this is the direction they're going overall. Dropped Jaime's for their in-house Giovanni's; dropped b&J for their in-house Ice cream; starting to serve more Starbucks at cafe promenade so I imagine the kiosks will be going away soon....and yeah..JR probably going next..

Which really does suck when compared to whale-tail line or the house of mouse that really lean into brand deals and theming to pull people aboard....

I don't know if having their own stuff is really going to entice new cruisers to pick Royal over the other options out there... Sometimes people need that taste of the familiar to pull them to try something new

I agree... I haven't sailed Carnival, but the Guy Fieri burger and BBQ joints  and even Shaq's chicken, would both help sell me if I was looking for something new