Another Genie Gratuity Question…..

Out of curiosity, what do you tip a genie for 7 nights of star class service these days? I am thinking the following:

Average experience: $500

Above average experience: $700

Obviously everyone has a different definition regarding level of genie experience and I would like to get a range of opinions so I don’t under or over shoot the norm. 

On another note, if you book a suite during the double point promotion do you get double/double? 

Thanks in advance. 

12 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Yes to double points on top of the suite double points. 

As far as tipping goes, totally at your discretion. The floating rule of thumb/consensus is generally $100pp for the cruise and it can go up from there depending on level of service. 

Excellent information. Thank you! 

2 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

My kids will turn the aqua theatre suite upside down so I’m kind of thinking the same dollar figure. 

In that case, don't forget some extra for the room attendant! They are the real superstars here in keeping the room clean and removing the constant flow of empty dishes from all the food and snacks that get delivered.

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

What does a genie do for you to be worth that much?

Genies are excluded from the regular gratuities so it is customary to tip them.  Again, it's totally at your discretion. 

As far as what they do for you?  As @WAAAYTOOOalways puts it, the value of a Genie is very hard to quantify.  Think of the Genie as your very own, personal concierge.  They do everything, literally.  You never have to visit guest services, you never have to visit the suite concierge.  You want something?  Ask for it, and it happens (well, not rule breaking or anything) but the Genie literally will go out of his/way to make things happen for you.  You are spoiled beyond what you can imagine.

Off the top of my head, the specific extras a Genie has been known to do are beyond what I can list here. All I know is that when the opportunity is there, I will always pay the extra and choose Star.  

If you are truly interested, take some time and read the Star Class live blogs here in the message boards.  It was by doing that (mainly the early ones by @WAAAYTOOO and @CGTLH) that got me interested in the Star Class program in the first place.  I think if you go through a few live blogs, you will see what I mean.  It is really hard to come up with a comprehensive list of all the extras.

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I mean I know what a genie can do. But what actually has the genie done to be worth so much.

That's what I am trying to tell you, too many examples to list here.  Read the live blogs.  Those are first hand accounts and you will get a feel for what they can do to make it worthwhile.

But then again, some don't need all the extras, so in that case, there would not be much value in the program at all for those cruisers.  It all depends on the person.  But my best advice is read the first hand accounts, and then you can decide if it is worth it to you and your family.

I have always had a problem about tipping. In Singapore your are fined for tipping, particularly for taxis, whereas in New Zealand they are insulted being offered a tip. That was the case a few years back. Where I currently live small change is left in restaurants but in the States 20% is normal. With cruising I have been on all inclusive fares, (food, drinks, service), tipping not required unless someone goes well out of their way. Royal has tipping which I always pay in advance but the envelopes left at the end makes me feel uncomfortable. In GS $17.50 pp daily has been applied already. For normal service do you guys still put something in the envelope ? I have only been on one Royal cruise (envelope empty) the second will be in October. I don’t want to be mean.

Sorry, my intention was not for this to morph into a “what have you done to deserve a tip thread”. I really just wanted to get a base line for the Genie knowing they are not part of the tip pool on the ship and their income directly correlates to their ability to provide a level of service that is rewarded by a tip. I think I now have a pretty good idea. Thank you. 

16 minutes ago, Allancy said:

I have always had a problem about tipping. In Singapore your are fined for tipping, particularly for taxis, whereas in New Zealand they are insulted being offered a tip. That was the case a few years back. Where I currently live small change is left in restaurants but in the States 20% is normal. With cruising I have been on all inclusive fares, (food, drinks, service), tipping not required unless someone goes well out of their way. Royal has tipping which I always pay in advance but the envelopes left at the end makes me feel uncomfortable. In GS $17.50 pp daily has been applied already. For normal service do you guys still put something in the envelope ? I have only been on one Royal cruise (envelope empty) the second will be in October. I don’t want to be mean.

My family of 4 always adds money to the envelope even after paying the standard gratuities. My kids make a mess though. I think from what I understand, RC uses the gratuity charge to essentially pay the staff a guarantee tip wage per voyage and anything placed in an envelope should technically go directly to that individual (I hope). I only tip extra via envelope to stateroom attendant and suite concierge (and Genie). Speciality dining I always tip around 25.00-$50 per meal depending on service. I also feel really bad for these crew members being away from their families and I get joy out of compensating them. 

40 minutes ago, RCLRING said:

The website says $17.5 per night automatic tipping for grand suite and above, do the genies not get the tipping from this ?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense

No, Genies are not part of the auto gratuities ($17.50pp).  That is why most people choose to tip their Genies on top of that.

I never put cash in the envelope - I prefer to hand it directly to the room attendant and express my thanks face to face. We usually do half on the first day, half on the last day. I don't read anything into the envelope being left in my room as anything other than a checklist item for the attendant.