Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Recommended Posts

As you all know, Dan and I are in FL doing some house biz.  We have finished all of that for now and are flying home tomorrow morning.  We are staying at the Miami Airport Marriott tonite for a very early morning flight.

While walking over to the bar at the Courtyard (so weird that everything at the Marriott is closed but the restaurant and bar at the adjacent Courtyard are open !) we happened upon a “registration” table for Royal Caribbean. Being the naturally curious (not to mention, nosy) person that I am, I stopped and chatted with the guy manning the table.  He said that he was registering new staff that were signing on with NAV.  He said they are just part of rotating maintenance crew and said he has no insight regarding cruise re-start, but it was still exciting to learn that new staff is allowed to come in and most notably, they are flying in.  I tried not to stare at the paperwork but I could see that the list of names looked to be fairly lengthy.  Can’t say that there is any smoking gun or intel that provides any real information but at least I did find out that they were headed to NAV.

image.jpeg.da78951c09d2c24248b1f9302213ca36.jpeg

On the way back, the table was unmanned so I snapped a quick pic of the table and sign.

Maybe ?  Maybe ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Truly appears to be at least three brands of the RCG.  Good investigative journalism!

If I understand correctly there are limits on crew C-1/D visas.  One is a transit type visa to allow them to reach or leave the ship while the other functions once on board and they are moving in and out of port doing their job.  If the subjects of this event are inbound crew from abroad the clock is running to get them onboard.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

We made it home !  Uneventful flight.  The Captain of that plane was the biggest airplane pilot I have ever seen in my life !  He had to duck to get out the flight deck door.  I was stunned.  Can't help but wonder how he manages to get all those legs folded up to get into that tiny cockpit !! ...and he wasn't just tall.  He was a linebacker-sized bruiser.  Good pilot though...smoothest landing I've experienced in a while !

Very little has changed regarding travel protocols since we made our trip down to FL in Sept....but there has been one notable change.  When we flew to FL in Sept. AA was serving NO food or beverage on the flight, even in First Class.  They gave us each a plastic bag with a small bottle of water and some crackers (or something....can't remember).  On this trip, however, both coming and going, they did serve drinks and a meager meal in First Class.  It wasn't much but it was something.  Drinks were pretty much the usual....coffee, water, sodas, juice, alcohol (if you wanted it) so that is pretty much back to normal.  As far as I am aware, nothing was served in Coach, but I cannot guarantee that.  Everyone still got the baggie, but FC got the extra food and drinks.

Nothing had changed at the hotel as far as service.  The Residence Inn in Port St. Lucie (same place we stayed in Sept.) still did not service the room unless you requested well in advance and you had to be out of the room when they came.  You could pick up fresh towels, toilet paper and other necessities at the front desk.  There was no meal service at all; normally they offer a breakfast buffet (meager, but something, at least).  No food now.  They had baggies with a stale muffin, an orange and a bottle of water.  Thanks but no thanks.  Personally, I am beginning to think COVID is just an excuse for cutting out the services while charging the same rate as pre-COVID.  I think they're taking advantage, personally.

I will say that I never saw anyone without a mask.  This is consistent from our first trip.  People are taking the mask requirements seriously.  Once you go into a restaurant and sit down, then the masks can come off, but not when you are up, moving around.  Those who say that people (I can only speak for FL and VA) aren't taking the mask requirements seriously are wrong.  From what I am seeing, they absolutely are.  The same goes for disinfecting, although I will say that I don't think that is as prevalent as it once was.  Social distancing is still problematic in some situations. Obviously, no way to social distance on an airplane, but people are generally considerate about not crowding unnecessarily.  When standing in line for anything, people are standing back.  It's nice.  I've never been one who enjoyed having my private space invaded anyway, so this standing off a bit is great news to me.

Overall, I was quite impressed with peoples' attempts to comply and to be considerate to others.  It is my assessment that people are NOT slacking off with the requirements to mask, maintain social distancing and sanitize.  It's just my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I was referring to the other thread that I am writing re: my plans to relocate to FL from VA.  It's not that interesting....LOL...but you are welcome to read.

Ahh, I misinterpreted.  I must need a vacation because the thought of reading about someone else's vacations sounded like fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Ahh, I misinterpreted.  I must need a vacation because the thought of reading about someone else's vacations sounded like fun!

Have you seen the live blogs section here on the boards? There are some great ones on there with lots of info and photos. Obviously none are recent now but they are definitely worth reading anyway. I have been dipping in and out of them over the past months just to help ease the sense of longing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2020 at 4:52 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

As you all know, Dan and I are in FL doing some house biz.  We have finished all of that for now and are flying home tomorrow morning.  We are staying at the Miami Airport Marriott tonite for a very early morning flight.

While walking over to the bar at the Courtyard (so weird that everything at the Marriott is closed but the restaurant and bar at the adjacent Courtyard are open !) we happened upon a “registration” table for Royal Caribbean. Being the naturally curious (not to mention, nosy) person that I am, I stopped and chatted with the guy manning the table.  He said that he was registering new staff that were signing on with NAV.  He said they are just part of rotating maintenance crew and said he has no insight regarding cruise re-start, but it was still exciting to learn that new staff is allowed to come in and most notably, they are flying in.  I tried not to stare at the paperwork but I could see that the list of names looked to be fairly lengthy.  Can’t say that there is any smoking gun or intel that provides any real information but at least I did find out that they were headed to NAV.

image.jpeg.da78951c09d2c24248b1f9302213ca36.jpeg

On the way back, the table was unmanned so I snapped a quick pic of the table and sign.

Maybe ?  Maybe ?

Very cool - mark it up as a net positive.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2020 at 5:31 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Very little has changed regarding travel protocols since we made our trip down to FL in Sept....but there has been one notable change.  When we flew to FL in Sept. AA was serving NO food or beverage on the flight, even in First Class.  They gave us each a plastic bag with a small bottle of water and some crackers (or something....can't remember).  On this trip, however, both coming and going, they did serve drinks and a meager meal in First Class.  It wasn't much but it was something.  Drinks were pretty much the usual....coffee, water, sodas, juice, alcohol (if you wanted it) so that is pretty much back to normal.  As far as I am aware, nothing was served in Coach, but I cannot guarantee that.  Everyone still got the baggie, but FC got the extra food and drinks.

Nothing has changes with Delta..Still bag with small bottle of water, Cheezit and a cookie.  FC has just started offering a choice between two snack boxes, one is a Hummus   snack or Cheese, crackers and pepperoni box.  It's not offered on all FC flights, it seems like it depends on how the flight attendants feel, whether you get it or not for that flight.  Note...I've not stopped flying since this mess started.  All I can says is all those inoculations shots I've received while in the military and great immune system I've got.. COVID doesn't like me. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...