Royal Caribbean Blog

Ovation passengers caught up in volcanic eruption

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is literally monday morning quarterbacking what happened. To suggest anyone knew yesterday, or the week before or whenever that the volcano was going to blow today or that the hundreds of tours t

I was a geologist and have a degree in it focusing on sedimetary terrains and structures...active volcanoes (which generate igneous rocks) are everywhere, as are fault zones. Nothing is predictable de

The injured are currently in various hospitals around New Zealand. A number have severe burn injuries including inhalation burns requiring assisted breathing. It is expected that some of the peop

Posted Images

This is literally monday morning quarterbacking what happened. To suggest anyone knew yesterday, or the week before or whenever that the volcano was going to blow today or that the hundreds of tours that took place there in the days, months and years prior were unsafe is silly.

This is ridiculous to blame. This volcano has been changing between level 1 and 2 for 20 years. Yes there is steam and gas outbursts which in itself is the attraction of the tour. The excursion through Royal is promoted as a visit to one of the worlds most active volcanoes. 

A volcano is considered active if it has had an eruption in the last 10000 years.

I did this tour virtually 12 months ago, have some empathy for all involved, those on board now included.

33 minutes ago, Matt said:

This is literally monday morning quarterbacking what happened. To suggest anyone knew yesterday, or the week before or whenever that the volcano was going to blow today or that the hundreds of tours that took place there in the days, months and years prior were unsafe is silly.

.  I'm sorry, I shouldn't have posted.    

20 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

This is ridiculous to blame. This volcano has been changing between level 1 and 2 for 20 years. Yes there is steam and gas outbursts which in itself is the attraction of the tour. The excursion through Royal is promoted as a visit to one of the worlds most active volcanoes. 

A volcano is considered active if it has had an eruption in the last 10000 years.

I did this tour virtually 12 months ago, have some empathy for all involved, those on board now included.

I'm not putting any blame to anyone at all....   I didn't mean to finger point   and  didn't mean to cause an issue here.

5 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm no geologist but I thought there were pretty obvious "signs" when eruptions are imminent.  How could this possibly have taken everyone by such a surprise ?

I was a geologist and have a degree in it focusing on sedimetary terrains and structures...active volcanoes (which generate igneous rocks) are everywhere, as are fault zones. Nothing is predictable despite the various signs people encounter. If Old Faithful were any sign...we can't predict when the Yellowstone caldera will erupt, but one day, untold destruction in North America will result and affect the entire world. It is the largest super volcano in the world, and an explosive eruption, yes, will happen, & will change everything. It last erupted 1-2 million years ago. Who knows when it's due?

Geologic time is very, very long, and the odds of being caught in an eruption are more miniscule than getting Norwalk virus on a cruise ship when you wash hands regularly and sanitize. Would I walk around Whakatane, Yellowstone, Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier, Mt Hood, Kilauea, Krakatoa, Pinatubo, Montserrat or any other active volcano with steam coming out? Yep. If it goes, it will be quick. May those who perished in NZ rest in peace.

This latest article I read seems to have more specific numbers that the earlier articles I saw.  Sounds like most people were able to get off the island -- 8 people left unaccounted for and presumed dead in addition to the 5 that were rescued but later died.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/new-zealand-volcano-eight-still-missing-after-eruption-on-white-island-which-left-five-dead-and-injured-34/ar-BBXZX7w?li=BBoPWjQ

“It’s an eerie mood here in Mt Maunganui tonight. Looked out my window at #OvationoftheSeas sitting in dock. … quiet & sombre, waiting to see if, in the light of day, it’s passengers & crew are returned,”

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/passengers-describe-strange-mood-on-ovation-of-the-seas-cruise-ship-after-white-island-volcanic-eruption/news-story/96a700bf6d70db5c64408b00ce5ef388

People take risks. On a RCCL stop in Costa Rica I hiked an active volcano. Walked the lava field, toasted marshmallows over not spots, watched boulders being tossed up inside the crater. It was exciting.

Was it risky? No doubt. So is driving to the grocery store.

The thing about this is - I totally would have picked this excursion if I were on that itinerary. Volcanoes are fascinating. I've been up Kilimanjaro twice. It's still active, and there are steam vents. We were repeatedly reassured that it was safe, there was risk involved, but we accepted it. And I would do it again. Yellowstone is amazing. It could blow anytime. It is a risk we accept for adventure. That ship you're on is more at risk of sinking than odds of a volcano eruption during the short period of time you're viewing it. It's a risk, they knew it when they went, but the odds were highly in the direction of safer rather than not, when it comes down to such a short time of exposure. I also cannot predict when a car will crash into mine, or the airplane I am travelling in will crash. But I accept the risk because I cannot control the things I cannot control, and I won't let the fear of the unknown deprive me experiences. 

Ovation is now heading to Wellington and will arrive tomorrow morning. It will then spend the following day in PIcton which was not on the original itinerary. From there is will head back to Sydney. Originally it was scheduled to stop in Dunedin and scenic cruise though Milford Sound but these have now been dropped from the sailing.

Obviously not the biggest concern, but I can only imagine what the mood is like on that ship, both for passengers and crew as they're leaving that port and continuing on.  Just a really sad situation all around, I know its a risk and we take risks all the time, but not something you really think about when going on vacation, honeymoon, etc.

18 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Is there any update on any of the injured?

The injured are currently in various hospitals around New Zealand. A number have severe burn injuries including inhalation burns requiring assisted breathing.

It is expected that some of the people with the worst injuries will not survive.

Authorities are also looking to move some of the victims back to Australia to be treated so they can be closer to their families.

Last night New Zealand police took DNA samples from the cabins of the missing passengers to help identify the missing and injured.

Included in the missing is a family of 4 from Sydney.

• 6 confirmed dead
  • 8 missing, presumed dead
  • 30 are in hospital - 24 are in four regional burns units and the other six will be transferred as soon as possible
  • 3 have been discharged

The police on going onto White Island today to attempt to retrieve the bodies for identification purposes. Due to the injuries suffered it has been very difficult to identify the bodies and injured.

5 hours ago, F1guynz said:
  • 6 confirmed dead
  • 8 missing, presumed dead
  • 30 are in hospital - 24 are in four regional burns units and the other six will be transferred as soon as possible
  • 3 have been discharged

Were all of these “confirmed injured, killed and missing”, from Ovation of the Seas?