Jump to content
FManke

Your Future Vision for RCCL

Recommended Posts

If you were in charge of RCCL, what would be your vision for the future of RCCL

What things would you be adding? Deleting? Policy changes? Menu changes? Ship design?

Build your perfect cruise experience.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FManke said:

If you were in charge of RCCL, what would be your vision for the future of RCCL

What things would you be adding? Deleting? Policy changes? Menu changes? Ship design?

Build your perfect cruise experience.

 

Excellent question.   On the whole my family has enjoyed Royal's cruises, especially customer service on the ship.  However, I'd offer up these items:

(1) Greater transparency in pricing (everything)  -- I hate thinking we need to "game" the system to get a fair price.  Just tell us in advance what the pricing policy will be, and if necessary point out regional differences.  If we can plan ahead to get a lower price, we will.  If we can't, we'll take our chances, but try to be consistent/gradual in the price increases.

(2) Less up-selling pressure -- tell us once that we have additional options and what the tangible benefits are, but then let us do our thing.  We are on vacation, and we will spend our money -- eventually.

(3) Shows don't need to be "over the top".  Performers are very talented, so give them a platform to shine without confusing the audience.

(4) Improve the decor/ambiance of specialty restaurants - they don't seem very romantic to me inside - seem to be missing the paintings or photos we see elsewhere on the ships.

(5) Base excursions on customer input.  Some excursions don't seem well though out, and in the end aren't very enjoyable.  There is so much guest travel experience, Royal could build on success.

(6) Improve the quality of "house" wine.  It really is often pretty sour, and I'm no expert.

(7) Continue to seek out new destinations, modified itineraries to keep cruising "interesting".  Related to this, improve destination discussions -- have attended some great lectures on some ships and lousy presentations on others.

 

I am really impressed with most of the technology improvements and how quickly embarkation and disembarkation have become.  Great job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

(7) Continue to seek out new destinations, modified itineraries to keep cruising "interesting".  Related to this, improve destination discussions -- have attended some great lectures on some ships and lousy presentations on others.

This!

I also eternally wish for a cruise search by cabin class function.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

(3) Shows don't need to be "over the top".  Performers are very talented, so give them a platform to shine without confusing the audience.

I think that best describes "Blue Planet" on Allure... seemed like they were trying way too hard to impress and the show was not that fluid. I agree, all of the performers were excellent, but it was definitely our least favorite show on that ship. We'll probably skip it next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

I think that best describes "Blue Planet" on Allure... seemed like they were trying way too hard to impress and the show was not that fluid. I agree, all of the performers were excellent, but it was definitely our least favorite show on that ship. We'll probably skip it next time.

I remember the first time we ever saw Blue Planet. We thought it was the most wonderful show we had ever seen on a ship.  That was Dec 2009.  Now we don’t even bother with it anymore.  They really need to change these things a bit more often.  Yes, I am fully aware of the cost in both dollars and logistics for such changes. Don’t care. They still need to make more frequent changes. Cats ?  Really ?  STILL ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) I would like to see the reciprocity of loyalty status between sister lines be more realistic:  Currently, the top reciprocal status afforded on Celebrity to someone who is Pinnacle aboard Royal Caribbean is Elite, the same status afforded to those who are Diamond. Surely, someone in the Executive Offices realizes that equating 80 loyalty points to 700+  when arriving at a reciprocal status between sister lines is truly an egregious insult to their top tier loyalty members. Given that I am a lover of the quieter, smaller ships, I am slowly being pushed towards Celebrity (which may be RC's intent) and would readily make the shift away from ships that are fast-becoming amusement parks at sea if my loyalty amenities were more in line with what I currently am being given when sailing Royal Caribbean. 

2) I also agree that a diversity of ports/itineraries is needed.  Looking at February of 2020 and 2021 out of my home port of Bayonne, one 8 day and the remaining 7 day sailings visit Port Canaveral, Coco Cay, and Nassau.  Personally, I love to cruise to escape the New York winters and would love to eliminate flying from my cruise budget but it has been years since I have been able to do exactly that.  I usually fly to and cruise out of PC so I can hit the longer sailings and frequently do 3 to 5 consecutive sailings on ships offering longer itineraries or ports I favor. I would love to see an 11/8 or 12/7 schedule out of Bayonne in Feb and not necessarily one that stops at Coco Cay which seems to be the new port "all" for RC.  I liked the beachcomber feel to the old Coco Cay and having been to the  newly commercialized Coco Cay would welcome Labadee for its ambiance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall I'm pretty pleased with Royal which is why I am here.  This is how to make it better:

  1. Keep cruising affordable.  
  2. Improve the website.
  3. Add free texting across the fleet using wifi based chat applications such as iMessage, WhatsApp or FB Messenger.  More airlines offer this now for free.  Time to allow it on ships.  Stop trying to build chat into the Royal app and let people use what they use already.  Royal talks about making vacation stress free, communicating with loved ones on board and at home makes vacations stress free.
  4. Migrate all ships to O3b Voom and leave the 1980 satellite technology where it belongs, in the past. 
  5. Add technology to allow mirroring phones and tablets to cabin TVs
  6. Eliminate the Diamond happy hour binge drinking nightly event by removing it from the Diamond Lounge.  This would solve the "How many Diamonds can you cram into a phone booth" effect in the lounge every night.  Keep 3 drink coupons but expand the hours of use and quality of choices.  Give Diamond members 30% off drink packages, move Diamond Plus to 40% off and Pinnacle to 50% off drink packages.  Even at those rates there is still profit to be had.  Currently many guests at these C&A levels don't buy drink packages or drinks at all, relying on the nightly happy hour for drinks.  These changes would increase DX revenue and reduce happy hour costs, a combined win-win.  
  7. Deal with chair hogs by actually enforcing the rules and do so consistently across the fleet
  8. Add USB outlets to all ships, add power outlets by the beds
  9. Clarify dining package rules.  State exactly what is included, apply this consistently across the fleet
  10. Make all rules consistent and apply them consistently across the fleet.  Be consistent with every thing across the fleet.
  11. Make Sea and Sky suite class available on all ships with consistent benefits across the fleet.  Star class can remain exclusive to OA/QU.
  12. Smoke free casinos across the fleet.  If Celebrity can do it, so can Royal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, twangster said:

Overall I'm pretty pleased with Royal which is why I am here.  This is how to make it better:

  1. Keep cruising affordable.  
  2. Improve the website.
  3. Add free texting across the fleet using wifi based chat applications such as iMessage, WhatsApp or FB Messenger.  More airlines offer this now for free.  Time to allow it on ships.  Stop trying to build chat into the Royal app and let people use what they use already.  Royal talks about making vacation stress free, communicating with loved ones on board and at home makes vacations stress free.
  4. Migrate all ships to O3b Voom and leave the 1980 satellite technology where it belongs, in the past. 
  5. Add technology to allow mirroring phones and tablets to cabin TVs
  6. Eliminate the Diamond happy hour binge drinking nightly event by removing it from the Diamond Lounge.  This would solve the "How many Diamonds can you cram into a phone booth" effect in the lounge every night.  Keep 3 drink coupons but expand the hours of use and quality of choices.  Give Diamond members 30% off drink packages, move Diamond Plus to 40% off and Pinnacle to 50% off drink packages.  Even at those rates there is still profit to be had.  Currently many guests at these C&A levels don't buy drink packages or drinks at all, relying on the nightly happy hour for drinks.  These changes would increase DX revenue and reduce happy hour costs, a combined win-win.  
  7. Deal with chair hogs by actually enforcing the rules and do so consistently across the fleet
  8. Add USB outlets to all ships, add power outlets by the beds
  9. Clarify dining package rules.  State exactly what is included, apply this consistently across the fleet
  10. Make all rules consistent and apply them consistently across the fleet.  Be consistent with every thing across the fleet.
  11. Make Sea and Sky suite class available on all ships with consistent benefits across the fleet.  Star class can remain exclusive to OA/QU.
  12. Smoke free casinos across the fleet.  If Celebrity can do it, so can Royal.

Hmmm. Seems like you have thought about these things before. Or are they just off the top of your head?

Whatever the case. Excellent points!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 12:31 PM, twangster said:
  • Eliminate the Diamond happy hour binge drinking nightly event by removing it from the Diamond Lounge.  This would solve the "How many Diamonds can you cram into a phone booth" effect in the lounge every night.  Keep 3 drink coupons but expand the hours of use and quality of choices.  Give Diamond members 30% off drink packages, move Diamond Plus to 40% off and Pinnacle to 50% off drink packages.  Even at those rates there is still profit to be had.  Currently many guests at these C&A levels don't buy drink packages or drinks at all, relying on the nightly happy hour for drinks.  These changes would increase DX revenue and reduce happy hour costs, a combined win-win.  

I like the idea of a few drink coupons for Diamond members, I'd still buy a drink package honestly, but it's nicer than rushing to the lounge just for a "free" drink. I like the discount of the drink package idea even more; only I'd suggest adding 5% to your suggestion for Diamond because 30% off is a popular sale that many wait for, as a Diamond member I'd rather know I got it a little less. Assuming $70 base price 35% is $45.50 vs $49, I'll take it! 

*Side note: How does Royal calculate the buy one get one 1/2 off? My algebra say 20% ($56 a day) & 30%($49 a day)  point to a $70 dollar base but 25% of $70 isn't $52 it's actually $52.50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

I like the idea of a few drink coupons for Diamond members, I'd still buy a drink package honestly, but it's nicer than rushing to the lounge just for a "free" drink. I like the discount of the drink package idea even more; only I'd suggest adding 5% to your suggestion for Diamond because 30% off is a popular sale that many wait for, as a Diamond member I'd rather know I got it a little less. Assuming $70 base price 35% is $45.50 vs $49, I'll take it! 

*Side note: How does Royal calculate the buy one get one 1/2 off? My algebra say 20% ($56 a day) & 30%($49 a day)  point to a $70 dollar base but 25% of $70 isn't $52 it's actually $52.50.

Hey @JLMoranyou should like this. More math!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

I like the idea of a few drink coupons for Diamond members, I'd still buy a drink package honestly, but it's nicer than rushing to the lounge just for a "free" drink. I like the discount of the drink package idea even more; only I'd suggest adding 5% to your suggestion for Diamond because 30% off is a popular sale that many wait for, as a Diamond member I'd rather know I got it a little less. Assuming $70 base price 35% is $45.50 vs $49, I'll take it! 

*Side note: How does Royal calculate the buy one get one 1/2 off? My algebra say 20% ($56 a day) & 30%($49 a day)  point to a $70 dollar base but 25% of $70 isn't $52 it's actually $52.50.

Currently D+ gets 30% off which means I don't have to play the game seeking drink package sales and watching it every day.  I can just board and get what is typically the cheapest you'll ever see in the cruise planner.  Most cruise planner sales are 25% at best.  Once in a while you can do better than 25%.  The idea is to extend what they offer today to D+ to D, then bump D+ and P up to appease them.  

There is no base drink package price.  You can't use $70 as the base price for all cruises.  Many are in the low 60's on board.  It varies by cruise length and sail date.   That's the heart of the issue, you don't really know what the basis of their discount are until you get on board and then it's too late to buy it in the cruise planner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@twangster hit on my number one thing I would love to see Royal implement..consistency.

Why do you think it's so difficult for them to be consistent across the fleet?  Why can't Royal just roll out standards or programs and keep the details the same on all the ships.  This goes really far in managing guest expectations.  Why do we have to ask if Playmakers is covered on the UDP or Johnny Rockets milkshakes on the UBP?  Why can't Royal come up with set standards for The Key that every ship in the fleet uses?  Why do they have to make all of the descriptions vague?  Do the individual ships want to retain the ability to make the decision on these things?  Why wouldn't Royal make consistency be a priority?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, twangster said:

Currently D+ gets 30% off which means I don't have to play the game seeking drink package sales and watching it every day.  I can just board and get what is typically the cheapest you'll ever see in the cruise planner.  Most cruise planner sales are 25% at best.  Once in a while you can do better than 25%.  The idea is to extend what they offer today to D+ to D, then bump D+ and P up to appease them.  

There is no base drink package price.  You can't use $70 as the base price for all cruises.  Many are in the low 60's on board.  It varies by cruise length and sail date.   That's the heart of the issue, you don't really know what the basis of their discount are until you get on board and then it's too late to buy it in the cruise planner.

My last few cruises I've been able to reprice the "buy one get one half" (25% off) to 30% off that's why I was hoping for a few more. True you don't know the 'base' price for every sailing, my math comes directly from pricing my upcoming cruise drink package. You can calculate the base of the sale price with a simple formula. So, for example my current 30% off sale is $49 dollars a day, so the base price is:

Original price = X

Discount = 30%

Discount = 30% of x = .30x (or .3x).

Sale price = Original price - discount = x - .3X = .7x

Sale price - $49 =  .7x 

So...

x = 49/.7 = $70.

I've done this for each of the three different sales offered and the 25% off doesn't match $70 dollars.

At 20% the price was $56 dollars: $56/.8 = $70.

At 25% the price was $52 dollars: $52/.75 = $69.333333333333 repeating. 

I suspect it's innocently just "rounding down" in our favor. Just curious if anyone else ever noticed it... OR am I the only geek that does this kinda stuff? 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

My last few cruises I've been able to reprice the "buy one get one half" (25% off) to 30% off that's why I was hoping for a few more. True you don't know the 'base' price for every sailing, my math comes directly from pricing my upcoming cruise drink package. You can calculate the base of the sale price with a simple formula. So, for example my current 30% off sale is $49 dollars a day, so the base price is:

Original price = X

Discount = 30%

Discount = 30% of x = .30x (or .3x).

Sale price = Original price - discount = x - .3X = .7x

Sale price - $49 =  .7x 

So...

x = 49/.7 = $70.

I've done this for each of the three different sales offered and the 25% off doesn't match $70 dollars.

At 20% the price was $56 dollars: $56/.8 = $70.

At 25% the price was $52 dollars: $52/.75 = $69.333333333333 repeating. 

I suspect it's innocently just "rounding down" in our favor. Just curious if anyone else ever noticed it... OR am I the only geek that does this kinda stuff? 🙂

Hey @JLMoranstill more math!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

I suspect it's innocently just "rounding down" in our favor. Just curious if anyone else ever noticed it... OR am I the only geek that does this kinda stuff? 🙂

Yup, Royal doesn’t seem to like having base prices that aren’t round dollar amounts. The real fun one is when the base works out to $65 and you then multiply by .7 to see what a theoretical 30% discount offer should be. You get $45.5, which leads to why some days showing a $46 sale price, and the next day it changes to $45 (this actually happened to me once).

18 hours ago, FManke said:

Hey @JLMoranyou should like this. More math!

Love it! 😂

17 hours ago, FManke said:

Hey @JLMoranstill more math!

Still more love! 😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

@twangster hit on my number one thing I would love to see Royal implement..consistency.

+1

This means there is a huge disconnect between HQ and Operations on the ships.  For new and first time Royal cruisers, this may not affect them as much.  But for cruisers who have sailed with Royal multiple times, this can be frustrating at times.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Why do you think it's so difficult for them to be consistent across the fleet?  Why can't Royal just roll out standards or programs and keep the details the same on all the ships.  

I am guessing here....but I suspect that each ship (and perhaps even, each division within the ship itself) is probably an independent cost center.  If that is the case, they have the flexibility to implement revenue programs in whatever way they will benefit the ship (or division) most positively.  That is the only explanation that makes any sense.  As independent cost centers, they will not only benefit from higher net revenue, but also be negatively impacted for lower net revenue.  This also allows for innovation.  With flexibility to implement these policies "creatively",  they can find out how the policies best benefit the cruise line and what works the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Yup, Royal doesn’t seem to like having base prices that aren’t round dollar amounts. The real fun one is when the base works out to $65 and you then multiply by .7 to see what a theoretical 30% discount offer should be. You get $45.5, which leads to why some days showing a $46 sale price, and the next day it changes to $45 (this actually happened to me once).

I would totally cancel and re-purchase for the $1 (well $2 if I count my wife) dollar(s) a day savings!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...