Icon Pool Closed

51 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

Not just on a ship, but everywhere... I just cannot put myself in a public pool. 🫤

I had to get my CPO "pool operator" license for work last year and the guy giving this course said after the next two days you will never go in a public pool or hot tub again. Then he says wait for day two about hot tubs. 😲 

Yeah it was that scary, that bad. I was going to ask specifically about cruise ship pools but never got around to it. He was right though, not going in a public pool anytime soon. 🤣

On 5/6/2024 at 2:57 PM, CanHardlyWait said:

The no swim diapers rule doesn't seem to exist. Even though it's in writing everywhere. Lifeguards and security don't a flying fig. They spend all there time on poop hunt.

Kids diving into hot tubs. Just waiting for one to break there neck.

Kids who cam barley walk allowed in pools. Parents who disappear. 

On land a 55 plus yr old adult in a tub of hot water with a bunch of 10 year old boys is a felony. Here the parents are not even around to notice or care. Apparently unlimited drinks package makes there children safe and no longer requires their supervision. 

Royal won't enforce it because if they give the idea that you actually have to watch your children and not just run off into the nearest bar they will have less family bookings and less money. I agree they need to do more about that situation but they won't. My husband wants to try the mega ships and I don't for this reason. Before I get hate mail, I don't hate kids or expect a kid free experience. I expect parents to watch their kids and follow basic rules so we can all enjoy our trips, not just the parents of the kids not being watched. 

I have to be honest here, I think people are making way too much of kids on the ships. I'm not saying I see some that are annoying. At Coco Cay in February I wanted to kill this kid that was in the woods trying to catch the little lizard/gecko I guess they are. The parent or grandparent was watching. I was yelling at him to stop. 

Kids on the ships aren't quite as bad as people are making them out to be and I do get more, way more annoyed with adults being obnoxious or drunk and then treating crew bad. Treating the crew bad is my absolute #1 pet peeve! It pisses me off to no end. 

30 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I have to be honest here, I think people are making way too much of kids on the ships.

Since my wife is a teacher, we almost always sail with tons of kids even though we don't have any and it's never been a big deal to us. My explanation, aside from being tolerant and easy-going people, has partly been that we don't spend a ton of time where they do (i.e. the main pools). We use the Solarium to chill or a shady spot just outside the Solarium recently on Wonder when the Solarium was too warm that's not really by the pools even though it is on the main pool deck.

If I liked to spend time in/around the main pool or experienced what some others have, maybe it would bother me more. Sure some kids can be annoying and misbehave in the elevators, in WJ, running through the hallways/stairs, etc. but nothing has ever reached the point where it has significantly impacted our enjoyment.

52 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I have to be honest here, I think people are making way too much of kids on the ships.

Say it again for the people in the back.

In just this thread, there's anecdotal evidence that adults are just as responsible (if not more so) for why a pool closes down.

Regardless, Royal Caribbean is, was, and will be a family cruise line. Any expectation otherwise is just silly based on the makeup of the line. 

2 hours ago, craftycruiselady said:

Royal won't enforce it because if they give the idea that you actually have to watch your children and not just run off into the nearest bar they will have less family bookings and less money. I agree they need to do more about that situation but they won't. My husband wants to try the mega ships and I don't for this reason. Before I get hate mail, I don't hate kids or expect a kid free experience. I expect parents to watch their kids and follow basic rules so we can all enjoy our trips, not just the parents of the kids not being watched. 

I totally agree. This may be a one and done for me.  They need to consider changing the target audience on their next mega ship or they will have Loyal to Royal people like me heading to different lines.  Adults would like to enjoy these beautiful venues also. 

31 minutes ago, Matt said:

Say it again for the people in the back.

In just this thread, there's anecdotal evidence that adults are just as responsible (if not more so) for why a pool closes down.

Regardless, Royal Caribbean is, was, and will be a family cruise line. Any expectation otherwise is just silly based on the makeup of the line. 

I disagree with you. Of all my royal cruises I have never experienced this before. 

1 hour ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Not to downplay Royal as I love this cruise line and am very loyal to it…but if someone is truly looking for kids not messing up their vacation…cruise on Virgin!  No one under 18 admitted I believe!  

Great point. People are choosing to cruise on a very family oriented cruise and then complain about the kids. Every ad I have seen for Icon has kids in it. Celebrity is much more adult oriented and Virgin is adults only. If you book Icon, then you should be accepting of children being onboard. I hate the pools being closed, but as Matt said, it is not just kids who are causing the problem. Most of the issues with other passengers that we have ever experienced on a cruise were caused by adults, not kids. 

I'm waiting to hold most of my judgement to until I experience Icon for myself in 16 days (🎉).

Without firsthand experience of this particular ship, I think the right answer is probably somewhere between adults yelling at clouds about a small nuisance that could have been anticipated and a reasonable expectation that a highly-anticipated venue for adults (swim up bar) being 'protected' from being closed from children's accident of dealing with kids splashing near you. 

At Oasis Lagoon, for instance, I think this is less of an issue due to the size of things plus the DJ maybe driving families with younger kids away. On the ship, we're obviously dealing with a much smaller space, which could follow you need to be more intentional processes/procedures to keep everyone happy. Not sure if that means excluding kids from more areas - perhaps that could have been accomplished with a more traditional Solarium design (not sure that's a positive compared to the innovations of Icon).

Could be that the reality of how the ship is being utilized by guests is different than what the designers had anticipated - regardless, looking forward to reporting back! 

3 hours ago, barjpoe said:

I'm waiting for feed back on Utopia, as I think Royal is marketing this ship as a party ship especially on the weekend sailings.

We went on maiden voyage and had the time of our life.  Wy wife wants to know when we can go again.  Hope everyone sours on Icon so the prices drop. 🤪

I’m vintage—kids are grown with their own kids.  My first cruise was about 20 years ago and I am D+.   I have not once been bothered by a kid on an RC ship.  I cannot say the same for adults.  On Oasis a couple of weeks ago, the kids impressed me!  Several helped me with my grandkids politely and happily; it was awesome!

On 5/8/2024 at 5:33 PM, Tink said:

I am currently on the Icon and I have to say this is an issue.  Pools are constantly being closed and not just the Kiddie pool. In my opinion royal made a mistake changing the boardwalk into a family area. What I observed is that the kids are not hanging out in that area or that pool area.  Rather they occupy every other pool that us adults would like to get in. If kids are going to monopolize  all the other pools why not just reimagine the boardwalk area for everyone to use. 

I balked at people who said separating the pool areas is a big issue (families w/ kids of different ages have to split up on cruises -- it's just a reality) but if no one is spending time down there and everyone is up on the pool deck, that would suggest Royal needs to rethink how they can get more families with small children down to the Boardwalk. My assumption is that part of the ship being well-balanced from a crowd standpoint is assuming there are a sufficient amount of people on that deck. 

On 5/9/2024 at 9:50 AM, OCSC Mike said:

Since my wife is a teacher, we almost always sail with tons of kids even though we don't have any and it's never been a big deal to us. My explanation, aside from being tolerant and easy-going people, has partly been that we don't spend a ton of time where they do (i.e. the main pools). We use the Solarium to chill or a shady spot just outside the Solarium recently on Wonder when the Solarium was too warm that's not really by the pools even though it is on the main pool deck.

If I liked to spend time in/around the main pool or experienced what some others have, maybe it would bother me more. Sure some kids can be annoying and misbehave in the elevators, in WJ, running through the hallways/stairs, etc. but nothing has ever reached the point where it has significantly impacted our enjoyment.

Here's the honest truth: The people on here and other cruise forums that constantly complain about children and their behavior simply have it out for kids. When you tell them they hate kids they get really offended and will insist 100x over that "I don't hate kids. I just hate misbehaving ones" or "I don't hate the kids. It's the parents' fault" but 90% of them don't have kids and are in denial that they just don't like them. They know it's Scroogey to get annoyed by the simple presence of any kid who isn't sitting nicely with their hands folded, but that's how they are and they can't help it. Coexisting with kids is part of cruising on Royal at this point. 

I would say that the issue isn't kids. Or adults. The issue is only having one large pool. So when it closes it has a MAJOR effect on everything else. As I said on my cruise the issue was 2 X an adult so the amount of kids is not the main problem IMO. 

I believe I would say ICON my favorite ship in the fleet, however i appreciate the 3 pools on oasis class more.

My brother and his family just got off Icon yesterday. They said there were a lot of kids but the amount wasn’t the issue. They’re used to kids as they work in the school system. The issue was that there was little parental supervision which interfered with their enjoyment, like small kids climbing on their lounge chairs or in between their legs while at the pool. They were all over the Swim-up bar and crowding out the hot tubs. And speaking of the pool, it was their impression that the ‘poop’ was from an adult, not a child. Having said that, they did have a great time and would go again. My niece said she would definitely book a Suite the next time. It was a much quieter atmosphere on the Suite Sundeck. A family friend onboard was booked in a suite and let her have a peek. She’s hooked now!!

13 hours ago, SpicyCherry said:

The issue was that there was little parental supervision

This is the issue with nearly all unchecked poor behavior by young children. Kids are not perfect (I sure wasn't, my sons not any more so than I was, my grandkids have their out of control moments). When properly supervised and disciplined, even at my/my kids'/my grandkids' worst the behavior was/is either short-lived or the offending child was/is removed from the situation. When unsupervised and unchecked, even the best behaved children will sometimes go beyond what most adults will tolerate and that's when it becomes a problem.

On 5/6/2024 at 2:57 PM, CanHardlyWait said:

The no swim diapers rule doesn't seem to exist. Even though it's in writing everywhere. Lifeguards and security don't a flying fig. They spend all there time on poop hunt.

Kids diving into hot tubs. Just waiting for one to break there neck.

Kids who cam barley walk allowed in pools. Parents who disappear. 

On land a 55 plus yr old adult in a tub of hot water with a bunch of 10 year old boys is a felony. Here the parents are not even around to notice or care. Apparently unlimited drinks package makes there children safe and no longer requires their supervision. 

This is EXACTLY why Icon is one and done for us. April 20 sailing we had 2300 kids. Groups of girls trying to fight each other, boys doing damage to the teen club. Pools constantly closed. No desire to sail this class again until Royal grows a set of balls and cracks down on this 

On 5/10/2024 at 4:56 PM, jeffmw said:

I balked at people who said separating the pool areas is a big issue (families w/ kids of different ages have to split up on cruises -- it's just a reality) but if no one is spending time down there and everyone is up on the pool deck, that would suggest Royal needs to rethink how they can get more families with small children down to the Boardwalk. My assumption is that part of the ship being well-balanced from a crowd standpoint is assuming there are a sufficient amount of people on that deck. 

Here's the honest truth: The people on here and other cruise forums that constantly complain about children and their behavior simply have it out for kids. When you tell them they hate kids they get really offended and will insist 100x over that "I don't hate kids. I just hate misbehaving ones" or "I don't hate the kids. It's the parents' fault" but 90% of them don't have kids and are in denial that they just don't like them. They know it's Scroogey to get annoyed by the simple presence of any kid who isn't sitting nicely with their hands folded, but that's how they are and they can't help it. Coexisting with kids is part of cruising on Royal at this point. 

Have you been on icon? We’ve sailed oasis class twice with our kids during spring break and icon is spring break on steroids. No desire to go back. 

On 5/13/2024 at 9:42 PM, Jill said:

Have you been on icon? We’ve sailed oasis class twice with our kids during spring break and icon is spring break on steroids. No desire to go back. 

Interesting. I've heard both -- that it's even further of an improvement on Oasis Class from a crowd management standpoint, and others like you who say they felt it was chaotic. I'll be on in December -- over Christmas no-less -- so I'll be interested to see how it is. If we don't like it, no problem, there are plenty of Oasis Class ships. 

We were on Freedom a couple of weeks ago.  The lifeguards were very attentive to what the kids were doing and not allowing them to dive, splash, etc.  I did not realize that they were looking for 💩 in the pool when they did that check.  I thought they were checking for bodies.

We typically cruise smaller ships and go during times when kids should be in school.  I'm not intolerant of kids.  I'm intolerant of parents who bring their kids on a cruise and don't watch them.  Many kids I see roaming the ship by themselves shouldn't be but the parents are on vacation and don't want to deal with their kids.  And they all claim their kids are good and would never cause problems. 

We did see a lot of kids in the hot tub by the main pool.  Again, not sure why.  I wouldn't even go in that bacteria bath let alone allow my child to.

On 5/4/2024 at 4:30 PM, CanHardlyWait said:

They just walk back and forth looking for floating stool. Then every 10 minutes another lifeguard will come by and the two will walk past each other looking down left to right, right to left. Then from opposite ends when no poop is found they give each other a thumbs up. 10 minutes later, it starts all over again. Zero actual lifeguard duties. 

FYI this behavior that you describe is called scanning and is considered the gold standard in the aquatics safety industry for identifying swimmers in distress and drowning prevention. All lifeguards should be continuously scanning their assigned zone of the pool and routines double checks are expected. Kudos to RC for training their lifeguards the right way. 

The kids complaint I am not understanding. I've only sailed on Oasis class during the month of June and have done that about six times. I don't recall seeing so many complaints about kids. Now for those complaining about kids on Icon, what were your recent experiences on the Oasis class and was it during a similar month for a proper comparison?

How many more kids are sailing on Icon vs. Oasis class? Because Icon doesn't even sail at full capacity yet I thought. So wouldn't Oasis have more children by default? What ages are we defining as kids?

I've never seen an issue with kids that's worthy of commenting about. Maybe I don't pay enough attention to people. I do know the ships I've been on has always had a lot of kids because Oasis class is catered to families.

The only reason I can think kids behavior could be crazier on Icon vs. Oasis class would be due to new families cruising for the first time. There has to be a much larger percentage of new cruisers going on Icon. The problem still lies with the parents.

A lot of the poop incidents I've read here and elsewhere has been with adults, which how as an adult are we pooping on ourselves is a bit wild.

I am definitely going to sail on Icon just because I have a family with little ones, but it's making me rethink encouraging my first time Royal Caribbean cruisers to join us.

9 hours ago, xps15z said:

A lot of the poop incidents I've read here and elsewhere has been with adults, which how as an adult are we pooping on ourselves is a bit wild.

A majority of the individuals doing so most likely purchased the DBP and truly don't know how to control themselves.

On 5/16/2024 at 9:43 PM, xps15z said:

The kids complaint I am not understanding. I've only sailed on Oasis class during the month of June and have done that about six times. I don't recall seeing so many complaints about kids. Now for those complaining about kids on Icon, what were your recent experiences on the Oasis class and was it during a similar month for a proper comparison?

How many more kids are sailing on Icon vs. Oasis class? Because Icon doesn't even sail at full capacity yet I thought. So wouldn't Oasis have more children by default? What ages are we defining as kids?

I've never seen an issue with kids that's worthy of commenting about. Maybe I don't pay enough attention to people. I do know the ships I've been on has always had a lot of kids because Oasis class is catered to families.

The only reason I can think kids behavior could be crazier on Icon vs. Oasis class would be due to new families cruising for the first time. There has to be a much larger percentage of new cruisers going on Icon. The problem still lies with the parents.

I am definitely going to sail on Icon just because I have a family with little ones, but it's making me rethink encouraging my first time Royal Caribbean cruisers to join us.

April 20 sailing had 6500 passengers, 2300 were kids. 

I do think that part of the problem is so many first time cruisers. Our Facebook group for our sailing was loaded with first timers. Maybe it was this group that thought you just turn the kids loose. Just have never experienced this many kids unsupervised on any of our 205 nights on Royal. 

We’ve sailed all the oasis class ships for a total of 8 times. Twice during spring break with our kids, a couple times in October but mostly late April /early May. 

Comparing our 2 spring break sailings to our recent Icon, Icon was just very different. I wouldn’t say chaotic but close to it and really only on the upper decks. It’s a very “busy” pool deck meaning it felt crowded because of how much “stuff” has been crammed up there. The Hideaway is ridiculously small for adults only but then again Cloud 17 (the original adults only) was also small. I just didn’t like the feel of those upper decks. 

Last, for everyone saying it’s a family cruise line, yes I realize that but it wasn’t always heavily marketed to families. Our first RC cruise was 1991. It was not catering to families back then. I would say it started with oasis class (2010-ish) and then the marketing went on steroids for Icon. Well it worked! 

5 hours ago, Jill said:

I do think that part of the problem is so many first time cruisers. Our Facebook group for our sailing was loaded with first timers. Maybe it was this group that thought you just turn the kids loose. Just have never experienced this many kids unsupervised on any of our 205 nights on Royal. 

We’ve sailed all the oasis class ships for a total of 8 times. Twice during spring break with our kids, a couple times in October but mostly late April /early May. 

Comparing our 2 spring break sailings to our recent Icon, Icon was just very different. I wouldn’t say chaotic but close to it and really only on the upper decks. It’s a very “busy” pool deck meaning it felt crowded because of how much “stuff” has been crammed up there. The Hideaway is ridiculously small for adults only but then again Cloud 17 (the original adults only) was also small. I just didn’t like the feel of those upper decks. 

Last, for everyone saying it’s a family cruise line, yes I realize that but it wasn’t always heavily marketed to families. Our first RC cruise was 1991. It was not catering to families back then. I would say it started with oasis class (2010-ish) and then the marketing went on steroids for Icon. Well it worked! 

You are correct on that. Royal became a family cruise with the Oasis class. Which was a smart move because it increased their revenue as it got more people onboard. RCCL wasn't a talked about brand before Oasis class. If the descriptions of Icon is accurate, I think it will take maybe two years for the culture change to calm down a bit. All of the new cruisers that are pumped up about Icon are not hesitating to book the ship. Most people did their bookings during Covid and there you have the other large percentage that made their bookings this past winter. So 2025 will have slightly less excited people, and then 2026 and beyond will be normal cruisers.

In the past people behavior overall imo have been great on Oasis class during the summer which is why I am only interested in cruising those ships.

When I saw the tours of Icon the first thing I noticed were how small the pools were. RCCL will hear of the complaints and make small adjustments for Icon I believe. Because they're not going to want their reputation to go to crap considering the price people have to pay to sail with them now. They have been getting away with robbery but that's due to their reputation.

17 hours ago, Jill said:

We have 3 grown children and 7 grandchildren and brought our kids up cruising.  Back then families predominantly cruised June-July-Aug during summer vacation and couples cruised a lot during the school year.  This natural division of cruisers no longer exists.  We sail a lot in February and Sept./Oct and have noticed the ship has a full compliment of kids that we would think would be in school.  There is no school year anymore with regard to demographics on the ship - parents pull the kids out of school I assume because cruise fares are much lower.  The only recourse for empty nesters who want a little calmer experience on Royal is to book older ships or longer sailings.  This is a reality we have accepted and adjusted our cruise bookings accordingly.  Transatlantic always works.

10 hours ago, Doug_Texas said:

There is no school year anymore with regard to demographics on the ship - parents pull the kids out of school I assume because cruise fares are much lower.  

Our experience this past week on Icon confirms that. The ship was packed with kids and the only kid-free zone was the Hideaway. They were in all of the pools and hot tubs, including the Swim and Tonic, kicking and splashing everyone. That's of course more of an issue with the parents that let their kids get away with it. I saw very little lifeguard intervention. There were some families in Surfside, but significantly more spread out throughout the ship.

I kept saying to my wife that these parents must be pulling their kids out of school since last week was not a holiday week and school is not over yet! 

4 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

🤣 this has turned into quite the hate kids thread. Hate kids, and of course parents are terrible. It's both sad and hilarious. 

I don’t see anyone “hating” kids. What I have a problem with is little gangs forming onboard and trying to fight each other. I also have a problem when damage is being done to the teen club. Spring break in 2023 odyssey had $10,000 in damages from a few boys who smashed an elevator panel and tore down security cameras. The problem is it’s escalating and Royal is doing little, if anything to curb it. I have no issue with kids but I have a BIG issue with little 💩’s. 

This thread has most certainly turned into a hating kids fest. And no offense but it will offend, y'all sound very old. 

This is an attack on kids and in my opinion what makes Royal Caribbean what Royal Caribbean is which is a family cruise line. This thread has progressively gotten deeper and deeper into "kids suck" territory.  It's a hit on parents too so I guess it's kinda even. 

I will say it again, more adults piss me off a on a cruise way more than kids. Drunk stupid adults, entitled adults, and more. 

But in the end I honestly would 90%+ of people in general on cruises are just fine. 

On 5/16/2024 at 9:43 PM, xps15z said:

I have sailed on Oasis many times.  I have never experienced the issue with kids on those sailings as I did on Icon.  I didn't even have an opportunity to get in a pool after paying all that money.  Hideaway pool is way way way too small.  Give me back the solarium particularly like Wonder's!!!!!!!!!!

18 hours ago, xps15z said:

You are correct on that. Royal became a family cruise with the Oasis class.

Royal has always been a family cruise line!

Their ships added rock climbing walls, putt putt, inline skating rinks, and ice skating rinks in the 90's. In the 2000's they doubled down with dedicated kids pools, flow riders, splash zones, and small water slides. That was all pre Oasis!