If you were a CD, which activity would you change or get rid of all together?

ScottD

When we were on board recently, when 70's night rolled around I thought...this is fun and all, but seems like it's time for a change. Someone on the "other site" brought this up, as well, so I thought I'd throw  it out on here.  I'm definitely ready for them to bump it up to an 80's party. Or do both ( I think I've seen some of the Freedom class ships do a 70s and an 80's night, which is awesome).   I, myself, as a child of the 80's and radio dj of the 90s, would love an 80s and 90s party. I don't think a 90's party would happen just yet (maybe a small dance party in the club or bars would work). ANYWAY, if you could change an activity, not looking for brand new ideas, just tweaks on current activities or ones you'd like to see gone all together, what would it be?  Also want to add, I love the 70's party- it's a ton of fun and gets packed, but a change every once in a while would be cool, also. 

1 - Harmony actually does parties from 60s to 90s! SO MANY PARTIES!

2 - I would also drop the 70s party.  It's the same 10 songs and the same lackluster participation.

3 - I would drop the worlds sexiest man competition primarily because while it seems like most guys just do it to have fun, there's always that one conventionally attractive guy that enters and I know I would personally take a hit to my self esteem to see the reactions go from fun whooping to stripper screaming

Wonder does both a 70s party and a 80s party.  But I have to tell you we did a b2b and on both cruises the 70s party had a lot more people in attendance than the 80s party. 

I was born in 1980 I love 80s music but in my opinion nothing beats the 70's when it comes to music its generational, you had people from their early 20's all the way into what I'm going to assume was people in their 80's all singing and/or dancing on the promenade at the 70's party.  Whereas the 80's party was good people knew about the 80's party but very few people showed up to the 80's party. 

9 minutes ago, ScottD said:

I got a cheap little logo shaped medal for winning a mini golf tournament!  lol

I got a $200 discount voucher for Effy jewellery for winning the flag trivia...

BUT it came with a condition...

I had to spend a minimum of $600 to get the discount.

Um, thanks but no thanks. 😂😂😂

3 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

1 - Harmony actually does parties from 60s to 90s! SO MANY PARTIES!

2 - I would also drop the 70s party.  It's the same 10 songs and the same lackluster participation.

3 - I would drop the worlds sexiest man competition primarily because while it seems like most guys just do it to have fun, there's always that one conventionally attractive guy that enters and I know I would personally take a hit to my self esteem to see the reactions go from fun whooping to stripper screaming

Agree with #3, but I would  also limit bingo.

3 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

They just need to pick other songs... the 70's were way better than anything that followed... well some of the 80's but it was from bands that were active in the 70's.

I am not being biased either. It has been proven by science. The way songs are recorded and the way tracks are laid down is different now than back then and it is a crying shame.

8 hours ago, ScottD said:

I don't think a 90's party would happen just yet (maybe a small dance party in the club or bars would work).

on one of my cruises during the 'restriction' era (can't remember which one, maybe Ovation?) my wife and I were excited to see a 90's party scheduled for one of the venues. We were expecting it to be folks from around our age (40's) but when we walked into the venue it was wall to wall late teens and early 20's folks with the music at a deafening level. We looked at each other, nodded, and turned right around lol.

Things to change.

1- Have a sail away deck party, and CD there in person not a screen.

2- Introduce each main show, be there start and end, now if this wasn’t possible, then have an assistant deputise.

3- Mingle, be circulating on the ship.

My experience, bar one time, we didn’t see the CD in person, they were recorded on screen. Main shows started without introduction and some like “ The gift” we’re confusing without an introduction and even with reading the APP. The CD felt rather “ distant”. 

8 hours ago, ScottD said:

I, myself, as a child of the 80's and radio dj of the 90s, would love an 80s and 90s party. I don't think a 90's party would happen just yet (maybe a small dance party in the club or bars would work).

Fun topic!

Since the 90's were only 10 years ago 😂, it feels too soon for a 90s party to me. Maybe also because I'm Gen X, I can't really differentiate the music & style of the 90s from anything after that... The 70s and 80s were so unique and specific in their sound and fashion. I guess grunge? That would be 90's, right? So we all show up wearing flannel and boots to the party?

1. They should change up some of the mini game shows, like the A to Z scavenger hunt. People had stuff already lined up to win that one on our last cruise because they had done it before which makes it not fun. Throw in a condition each time that wasn't there the last time, something like that. 

2. Balloon drop at 10pm instead of midnight. People have all kinds of travel issues that make them tired the first day. 

That's all I can think of right now but I may be back!

Yes.  Please get rid of the 70s night.  Those who were 20 in the 1970s are now 64-73, well outside of Royal Caribbean's target demo.  Keep the walkers and canes off the dance floor.

Would also like to see some rock bands playing more songs from the 90s+.  Less caribbean style bands, more up and coming / little known American rock bands.

24 minutes ago, PL8SWPR said:

Those who were 20 in the 1970s are now 64-73, well outside of Royal Caribbean's target demo.  Keep the walkers and canes off the dance floor.

Hey...Watch it!  We fall into that age group and defiantly don't need any walkers or canes!!!

34 minutes ago, PL8SWPR said:

Yes.  Please get rid of the 70s night.  Those who were 20 in the 1970s are now 64-73, well outside of Royal Caribbean's target demo.  Keep the walkers and canes off the dance floor.

Would also like to see some rock bands playing more songs from the 90s+.  Less caribbean style bands, more up and coming / little known American rock bands.

Walkers and Canes?  I'm 63, class of '78, height of the disco era, and I don't know anyone within my age group that uses a cane or walker. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, jbrinkm said:

Fun topic!

Since the 90's were only 10 years ago 😂, it feels too soon for a 90s party to me. Maybe also because I'm Gen X, I can't really differentiate the music & style of the 90s from anything after that... The 70s and 80s were so unique and specific in their sound and fashion. I guess grunge? That would be 90's, right? So we all show up wearing flannel and boots to the party?

Point of order, we are now 23 years past the 90's 🧑‍🎓

My upcoming has a 70s night and an 80s party. I think bingo needs to be a bit cheaper and sexiest man can go. I think change up times of trivia a bit more, we almost always miss it because the good ones are at 5pm and we do 5:30 dinner. I did see a few at 4pm but maybe alternate some nights at 5 for the 8:30 diners and some at 8 or 9 for the 5:30 people.

There is an actual 80s cruise and they just announced a 90s one so maybe 90s parties will show up soon. I think they do 70s so much not only because the music appeals to almost everyone but because it is so easy to dress up and actually tell what decade it is. It is kinda hard to dress up for the 90s. 80s is easy but not quite as easy at 70s.

1 hour ago, PatsFanBrian said:

Point of order, we are now 23 years past the 90's 🧑‍🎓

I DO know that - my husband and I always joke that in our heads, the 70s were 30 years ago, the 80s were 20 years ago, etc. I know we're not the only ones because I've seen this concept floating around on social media as well. I think this disconnect was the true Y2K bug...

OMG! Everyone is stuck on this 70s night thing! There are so many other activities.

I say get rid of belly flop or anything that makes people have to get out of a crowded pool on a hot day (that they paid good money to swim in). So 45min can be spent with one person jumping into a pool, while the other 6999 passengers wait to get back in. It's a waste of perfectly good pool space for no reason. 

6 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

OMG! Everyone is stuck on this 70s night thing! There are so many other activities.

I say get rid of belly flop or anything that makes people have to get out of a crowded pool on a hot day (that they paid good money to swim in). So 45min can be spent with one person jumping into a pool, while the other 6999 passengers wait to get back in. It's a waste of perfectly good pool space for no reason. 

People LOVE that contest. I don't do much pool side stuff, so I don't mind either way...but I know it's a popular one.  

I would also agree that the balloon drop could be earlier, we don't mind it because it's early enough on the trip that my kid, and ourselves, aren't wiped out from "vacationing" yet, but I know travel and just day one commotion in general can be a bit tiring. 

Our two cents…
If people are going to it, enjoying it, and it doesn’t take too much away from others, let it ride.

That being said…

-Maybe matinee versions of some of the shows.

-New game shows (maybe versions similar to TV type).

-More trivia.. bigger and electronically scored with real prizes.

-Free bingo with merchandise prizes

J&S

18 hours ago, PL8SWPR said:

The 70's night was the most attended thing on our last several cruises.  We look forward to the 70's more than anything else.  There were many that dressed the part and we enjoyed all of it!  We are 66 and no canes or walkers here; however, so what if there were - the music was way better back then and what is out there now!  As a matter of fact, the dance floor was full and many were on upper floors dancing & singing too. 

55 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

The 70's night was the most attended thing on our last several cruises.  We look forward to the 70's more than anything else.  There were many that dressed the part and we enjoyed all of it!  We are 66 and no canes or walkers here; however, so what if there were - the music was way better back then and what is out there now!  As a matter of fact, the dance floor was full and many were on upper floors dancing & singing too. 

It definitely draws a crowd- I don't want it to go away, just want them to add other ones a few nights, which apparently some ships are doing already. I bet the crew gets tired of putting those bell bottom and afro wigs on every week, lol. 

Another change I would suggest: on Oasis class ships, move the trivia and some game shows to BIGGER VENUES. Why are they squeezing name that tune and harry potter trivia into some of the smallest rooms. If people don't get there 30 minutes early, they aren't getting in. I never do trivia, so I don't even know, but I see lots of complaints about the small rooms for big crowds. 

3 hours ago, ScottD said:

It definitely draws a crowd- I don't want it to go away, just want them to add other ones a few nights, which apparently some ships are doing already. I bet the crew gets tired of putting those bell bottom and afro wigs on every week, lol. 

Another change I would suggest: on Oasis class ships, move the trivia and some game shows to BIGGER VENUES. Why are they squeezing name that tune and harry potter trivia into some of the smallest rooms. If people don't get there 30 minutes early, they aren't getting in. I never do trivia, so I don't even know, but I see lots of complaints about the small rooms for big crowds. 

This is a really good point that applies to other classes as well. I remember being on Serenade close to Christmas and they insisted on having carol singing in the Schooner Bar. Not only was it not big enough but it was also a bit of a mess because there were people there who weren't interested in the carols and just wanted to enjoy their drinks and chat, so it made participating in the carol singing very difficult. Meanwhile, there was a lovely big lounge at the front of the ship that would have been perfect but was massively underused - I think I only ever saw karaoke and ballroom dancing to recorded music listed on the Compass for that particular venue.

I DO know that - my husband and I always joke that in our heads, the 70s were 30 years ago, the 80s were 20 years ago, etc. I know we're not the only ones because I've seen this concept floating around on social media as well. I think this disconnect was the true Y2K bug...

A not so fun fact for those of my age:

The height of the Spice Girls is as far from modern teenagers as Elvis and the Beatles were from me when we were teenagers.

And yet Elvis felt like ancient history but the Spice Girls now feel quite recent.

The deceptions of time can be depressing.

On 11/16/2023 at 8:41 AM, Hoppy2BHere said:

Our two cents…
If people are going to it, enjoying it, and it doesn’t take too much away from others, let it ride.

That being said…

-Maybe matinee versions of some of the shows.

Just came off Mariner (5nighter)The Love & Marriage show was at 2PM, They also had 2 afternoon shows of the Ice show. 

I agree with having some of the more popular/attending games/events to larger venues. 

Really enjoyed it many years ago when there wasn't any Art auctions. That would open up that space for more enjoyable events.