From Canada…to Canada: Discovering Liberty, Eh? – LB 08/24/23 – 09/02/23

Lovetocruise2002

15 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That lobster pizza was a fantastic recommendation! 

Looks amazing but that's a flatbread with lobstah. 

fight me. 

On the not even close to a rant...you're not wrong. The food quality went down and we're all talking about all the time. Sounds like you said what they needed to hear but we all know things don't change easily. 

If Royal wants true feedback the solution is this;  complimentary Margaritas for everyone before dinner.

That being said and I know I'm in the minority here, but I really believe the after sailing feedback is more for us as guests then them. It allows us to vent, it allows them to read and get a laugh. If we vent on that survey to them full of the debarkation emotions then the venting later is diminished if at all in most cases. Maybe you won't do a negative review, maybe you won't the discuss the problem with friends, maybe now you remember only the great things which there are many.

They minimally listen ie. the Chrystal blocks debacle to make us believe they care enough to affect changes but those surveys I believe are used as a tool to help them with crew behaviors most of all. 

I think @Lovetocruise2002 was really fortunate to have a crew member that cared and probably felt similarly and that is why he called over the executive chef, bad meals mean less gratuity. I'm sure your server was so appreciative of your honest feedback articulated in the most respectful way. Bring on the Sangria ( for me ) and Margaritas for all of my dining companions, 🤣

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

No sugarcoating. There was no ranting or raving. 😊

What I'm shocked about is ... how could this be in any way surprising to them?! Cements my belief that they (or any line) will push to see exactly where that line is, and unless a big "hello" is raised, they'll continue to move the line a bit further to see what they can cheapen next.

I'm glad you spoke up!

After visiting the Reversing Rapids, we headed over to the Old City Market. They gave us about 40mins here to explore. 
IMG_8693.thumb.jpeg.6c4aede4176f34a0707cbb60bbe76a5b.jpeg

IMG_8694.thumb.jpeg.bfc556ca88d9210c74364265dccff25f.jpeg

IMG_8695.thumb.jpeg.27c67403db4805e827329ea217f685e5.jpeg

Hubby even had time to visit a comic store a few doors down from the market. 
IMG_8696.thumb.jpeg.c6d2c39ad2117206a1f5486b1f9425e1.jpeg

We are now back on the bus and headed to the Sea Caves in St Martins. It’s about an hour away from the ship. 

Well Royal needs to understand truth hurts, we as passengers pay a price sometimes hefty one which means quality of experience with main dining to the buffet to any other venue needs to be on point.  Each has their own opinions on taste; however, but lack of selection, quality, presentation, and those entrees coming out not even hot isn't acceptable at all.  Then when a curve ball thrown extra charge for this or that, it becomes discouraging.  Remember those days of cruising just fantasizing about a certain meal or food you couldn't wait for with that favorite 🍸or so many good options that couldn't decide.  Now it's a different story because of their cutting corners with nickel and dime and just lacks the WOW factor.  Speciality dining packages have drastically increased as well.  Days of gaining weight on cruise are long gone.....

Lately i have been eating more in port which gives to destination economy and i have much enjoyable meal.

Maybe Mr Liberty and Mr Bailey should try being on a cruise over a period of time and see some of the struggles we endure.  Episode Undercover Boss cruise food edition ....

56 minutes ago, SMOKEY0202 said:

Well Royal needs to understand truth hurts, we as passengers pay a price sometimes hefty one which means quality of experience with main dining to the buffet to any other venue needs to be on point.  Each has their own opinions on taste; however, but lack of selection, quality, presentation, and those entrees coming out not even hot isn't acceptable at all.  Then when a curve ball thrown extra charge for this or that, it becomes discouraging.  Remember those days of cruising just fantasizing about a certain meal or food you couldn't wait for with that favorite 🍸or so many good options that couldn't decide.  Now it's a different story because of their cutting corners with nickel and dime and just lacks the WOW factor.  Speciality dining packages have drastically increased as well.  Days of gaining weight on cruise are long gone.....

Lately i have been eating more in port which gives to destination economy and i have much enjoyable meal.

Maybe Mr Liberty and Mr Bailey should try being on a cruise over a period of time and see some of the struggles we endure.  Episode Undercover Boss cruise food edition ....

As long as booking numbers are up your Undercover Boss trip will end in "Perfect.  It's working exactly as we want it to".  

I just had a chance to catch up with you folks.  I love the pictures.  Thank you for sharing. 

I’m glad the weather was good for you.   Last October when we were in St. John, it was foggy and drizzly and we couldn’t see much.   We did do the walk to the reversing falls though.  

Like everyone else here, I’m glad you spoke up in the dining room.  I know that as a person whose job depends on customers, I want to know when something is wrong.  Yes, there are times I cannot do anything due to corporate decisions, but I still want to know because sometimes I can still “tweak” things at my level. 

I hope the weather keeps cooperating for the rest of your cruise. 

19 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

After the tour ended (around 12:30pm), we headed over to Geddy’s for lunch. Even before @themillennialcruiser recommended this place, a few others had told me about it as well. Hearing it from @themillennialcruiser only confirmed to me that I wanted to go here. For those of you who don’t know, @themillennialcruiser sailed with us on the Anthem GC back in 2019 and I know she has awesome taste! 😉

Anyhow, I was so thankful because I was afraid that it would be very busy there and we did not have a reservation. There was a line to get, but the place is larger than it looks. We were seated pretty much right away. Our strategy was to order a few things that we wanted to try and then share it all. It was more than enough food for us for a lunch. Also, very delicious! That lobster pizza was a fantastic recommendation! 
f076e6b7-12b1-4381-826c-c7babee45164.thumb.jpeg.93238378dcb090e3c3f98cf8df8e692a.jpeg

Thanks for the shout out! So glad you enjoyed the meal and trip look fantastic!

6 hours ago, Neesa said:

I really believe the after sailing feedback is more for us as guests then them. It allows us to vent, it allows them to read and get a laugh. If we vent on that survey to them full of the debarkation emotions then the venting later is diminished if at all in most cases.

Agree 100%

6 hours ago, Neesa said:

If Royal wants true feedback the solution is this;  complimentary Margaritas for everyone before dinner.

That being said and I know I'm in the minority here, but I really believe the after sailing feedback is more for us as guests then them. It allows us to vent, it allows them to read and get a laugh. If we vent on that survey to them full of the debarkation emotions then the venting later is diminished if at all in most cases. Maybe you won't do a negative review, maybe you won't the discuss the problem with friends, maybe now you remember only the great things which there are many.

They minimally listen ie. the Chrystal blocks debacle to make us believe they care enough to affect changes but those surveys I believe are used as a tool to help them with crew behaviors most of all. 

I think @Lovetocruise2002 was really fortunate to have a crew member that cared and probably felt similarly and that is why he called over the executive chef, bad meals mean less gratuity. I'm sure your server was so appreciative of your honest feedback articulated in the most respectful way. Bring on the Sangria ( for me ) and Margaritas for all of my dining companions, 🤣

Surveys are read by management on the ship.

The cuts are being introduced at the corporate level and corporate doesn't read the surveys, just the overall CSAT summary scores comparing one ship to another.  

Vent away on the surveys just understand whose eyes you are talking to.  My guess is ship personnel aren't fond of the cuts either as they are customer facing and have to deal with the venting while corporate cherry picks the summaries and turns them into pats on the back justifying their cuts.  "We cut and and cut and the scores aren't that bad so let's cut some more!"

When we got to the sea caves, they fed us lunch first. I actually did not know that this was included when I booked the tour. Everyone had a choice between a bowl of chowder (lobster, scallops, haddock) & biscuits, minestrone soup & biscuits, chicken fingers & fries, or a salad. A can of pop or bottle of water was also included. I included the menu for those who just eat there without a tour. 

IMG_8714.jpeg

They basically gave us one hour to eat and explore the caves. Not much time so we rushed D15 to eat quickly and then we took as many photos as we could. Let me tell you, photos and videos do not do this place justice. It’s just beautiful there. I could have put up a lawn chair and sat there for hours just staring. I tried to soak it up the best I could in a small amount of time. Video clips on IG. 

IMG_8715.jpeg

IMG_8716.jpeg

IMG_8717.jpeg

IMG_8718.jpeg

IMG_8719.jpeg

The last stop of the tour was going back to see the reversing rapids and the change over the day. We first came here around 10:30am and then came back at 4:30pm.

Pics again don’t do this this justice and I will post video clips on IG later after dinner. 

Here is before:

1D45D0CF-7055-403A-92B1-9A579122B116.thumb.jpeg.33703afd401ced89b81ca0d9091be4e3.jpeg

IMG_8693.thumb.jpeg.cdbf8ed300f85de46ec66091775c1abb.jpeg

Here it is again at 4:30pm:

IMG_8723.jpeg

IMG_8724.jpeg

IMG_8725.jpeg

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Agree 100%

Darn … I am afraid you are correct. If the post cruise survey is really a baby soother for adults, I need a new strategy. 

Plan B will be to have a form letter I can give my server every time they ask how the meal was and I have a negative or improvement suggestion comment (these comments will be in check box form). The most important part will be at the end where it will say:

”I do not want to talk to anyone about this. Please forward to the appropriate person, and recognize my time is too valuable to discuss. The only form of compensation I expect, to make this right, is a complementary dinner for two in a speciality restaurant of my choice. Thank you for taking my request seriously.”

And chances of me doing this are very, very good. 

😂

Curt from Canada 

13 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Everyone had a choice between a bowl of chowder (lobster, scallops, haddock) & biscuits, minestrone soup & biscuits, chicken fingers & fries, or a salad.

Sounds like the type of place I had to find in Alaska so I could eat as much seafood as possible without my non-seafood eating wife starving, lol.

Loving the food pics/reports... but not seeing enough WJ! 🤣

3 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Off to the MDR for dinner now 😬 lol

I'd rather be there right now! Lol! Drama on steroids here in Pasco County Florida. We are just north of Tampa and inland, we have ancient Indian burial grounds protecting us once again.  A huge thanks to every PM I received today about this storm, it warmed my heart. What an amazing group of people here. 

20230829_175150.jpg

8 hours ago, SweetPea said:

What I'm shocked about is ... how could this be in any way surprising to them?! Cements my belief that they (or any line) will push to see exactly where that line is, and unless a big "hello" is raised, they'll continue to move the line a bit further to see what they can cheapen next.

I'm glad you spoke up!

Absolutely!

2 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

What is a beaver tail????????🤔

49 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i too was wondering. 

The Beaver Tail is a fried-dough pastry made with whole wheat flour and pulled by hand to resemble the long, flat tail of a beaver. It’s then topped with a myriad of delicious garnishes — anything from the classic cinnamon and sugar to whipped cream and Nutella. 

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Ended the day off with a Canadian favourite…Beaver Tails 😋

How have I lived in Canada my entire life and never tried one. I am surprised I never saw them at the Calgary Stampede. Maybe it’s and east west thing. 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, Jax said:

The Beaver Tail is a fried-dough pastry made with whole wheat flour and pulled by hand to resemble the long, flat tail of a beaver. It’s then topped with a myriad of delicious garnishes — anything from the classic cinnamon and sugar to whipped cream and Nutella. 

How have I lived in Canada my entire life and never tried one. I am surprised I never saw them at the Calgary Stampede. Maybe it’s and east west thing. 🤷‍♀️

Calaway Park.  

Looks like a downtown Calgary location is being added as well.  

https://beavertails.com/products/

5 hours ago, Curt From Canada said:

Plan B will be to have a form letter I can give my server every time they ask how the meal was and I have a negative or improvement suggestion comment (these comments will be in check box form). The most important part will be at the end where it will say:

”I do not want to talk to anyone about this. Please forward to the appropriate person, and recognize my time is too valuable to discuss. The only form of compensation I expect, to make this right, is a complementary dinner for two in a speciality restaurant of my choice. Thank you for taking my request seriously.”

I like this plan! 😉

4 hours ago, Neesa said:

I'd rather be there right now! Lol! Drama on steroids here in Pasco County Florida. We are just north of Tampa and inland, we have ancient Indian burial grounds protecting us once again.  A huge thanks to every PM I received today about this storm, it warmed my heart. What an amazing group of people here. 

20230829_175150.jpg

🙏 that you and the family are safe