From Canada…to Canada: Discovering Liberty, Eh? – LB 08/24/23 – 09/02/23

Lovetocruise2002

From Canada…to Canada: Discovering Liberty, Eh? – LB 08/24/23 – 09/02/23

LBBlogpic.thumb.jpg.2496db56c50b1f91af73993b85f0c6f7.jpg

Here we go! The @Lovetocruise2002 family is off on another adventure, starting from our home in Canada, to Canada.

The family is really look forward to this cruise for different reasons. For Hubby, it’s a chance to sail to destinations that we have never been, and on a ship that is new for us. For the kids, they are just excited because they get another free vacation lol. They are also excited to head out to see Eastern Canada. We have lived in Canada all our lives and have yet to ever see the East Coast provinces. For myself, I just love to cruise, so I’ll go just about anywhere, but this was an itinerary that Hubby and I booked for July 2020, and we lost it, so I am extremely happy that I was able to replace it and bring the kids this time.

The highlight of this sailing is of course, the itinerary. We have never visited any of these ports and cannot wait to explore them. I feel that it is a good mix of city vs. nature in these ports, something that both girls will be happy with.

Who’s Going?

Me, Hubby, D17, D15

Flight

Delta from DTW-EWR; booked through Air2Sea again. We really could have gone to EWR or LGA, the schedule was similar, but flying to EWR was a bit cheaper so we went with that. In addition, I already have our driving route mapped out should we need to drive ourselves to Cape Liberty. 😬

Pre-Cruise Stay

For the longest time, I had two hotels booked for this trip. Because we are only flying in one day prior to the cruise, we were not sure if it was worth it to do our usual stay in Manhattan or try out Jersey City instead. The girls and I tossed around both ideas for quite some time and in the end, because D17 loves NYC so much, even half a day there is better than no days there. So, we are back at our usual place in NYC, the Intercontinental Times Square.

Itinerary

24 AUG CAPE LIBERTY, NJ

25 AUG CRUISING

26 AUG BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS

27 AUG PORTLAND, MAINE

28 AUG BAR HARBOR, MAINE 

29 AUG SAINT JOHN, NB

30 AUG CRUISING

31 AUG HALIFAX, NS

01 SEP CRUISING

02 SEP CAPE LIBERTY, NJ

Cabin

Getting ready to check out the aft views on a Freedom class ship. Without a doubt, it will be very different than the aft views on Oasis class. And just for fun, I could not help myself, I did put in some minimum bids for Royal Up but I am not going to hold my breath. We are already happy with our cabin, there are no extra perks on Freedom class ships even if we did win the RU.

Pre-Cruise thoughts

-        Hubby and the girls are super excited. We are for the most part, going back to the basics on this one. No drink packages, no dining packages, no CK on Liberty. It’s going to be MDR and WJ all the way. Because we plan to spend most of the port days on land, it might even be WJ most of the way. Hubby is super excited!

-        It is somewhat amusing because Hubby and both girls are hoping that I go back to the basics and end up liking it. On the other hand, I am most looking forward to how the three of them do without what they have gotten used to. If the last few days have been any indication, it’s going be amusing for me. They have already had endless arguments about how they will share a VOOM package lol. One kid just asked me yesterday how she can do laundry on the ship. At least I can admit that I have fallen into the deep, dark, suite hole, unlike some others lol

-        One thing I did purchase was the Evian water package. We need our water in the cabin. Let’s hope it’s Evian that shows up.

-        Once again, in the spirit of a live blog, please do not hesitate to ask any questions.  I will do my best to find out whatever I can for you.

-        When responding to a post with a series of pictures, please do not include the pictures in your reply.  It just makes for easier scrolling.

-        Lastly, I will try to post videos and stories on Instagram.  You can follow me @lovetocruise2002

The suite concierge reached out on Sunday, so that would make it 11 days out. Here is the letter we received through email.

Dear ___,

My name is Lorena and I am your Suite Concierge. I can’t wait to welcome you onboard of Liberty of the Seas on August 24th, 2023. I hope you’re ready for a wonderful cruise vacation with us.

If you’ve not already done so, please check in online and select your preferred arrival time using the Royal Caribbean App. Suite guests can enjoy Flexible Arrival which allows you the freedom to check-in up to one hour before or after your scheduled check-in time while the terminal is open. 

We also recommend that you plan ahead and make reservations for your dining, onboard activities, shore excursions and Vitality Spa services. You may do so using your Cruise Planner or Royal App. Show reservations will be available to book once you’re onboard. If you require any assistance, I am happy to help you.

My desk is in the Suite Lounge, located on Deck 14 aft. My hours are: 8:00am to 11:00 am & 4:30 pm to 8:00pm. I am also reachable via email or by dialing my phone 3812 from your Suite or any house phone.

While onboard, you’ll have access to the following exclusive amenities and services:

-The Suite Lounge is exclusively for Suite guests and accessible with your platinum SeaPass card.

· The dress code in the Suite Lounge is smart casual, so please make sure you pack accordingly.

· Coffee and tea are available in the Lounge throughout the day. Hors d'oeuvres, petit fours and complimentary wine, spirits, beer, and soft drinks are available for our Suite guests every evening from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm.

· Guests under 21 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

· As a Suite guest, you’ll have exclusive access to a daily breakfast in Chops. The Chops breakfast hours will be written on the suite welcome letter that will be ready in the room on boarding day.

· Your suite is stocked with Malin & Goetz bath amenities, a Lavazza espresso coffee machine, bathrobes for your use onboard, and is furnished with a luxurious pillow-top mattress.

· Enjoy the exclusive Suite Sun Deck on either side of the Pool Bar (Decks 11-12 mid ship). Lounge chairs are available to Suite guests on a first come, first serve basis.

· Suite guests are entitled to a reserved seating section in the Main Theater. 

· We are happy to offer our Suite guests Priority Departure. I’ll explain the details to you when you arrive onboard.

Please feel free to email me with any questions that you may have. I look forward to meeting you in person!

Kind regards,

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We are happy to offer our Suite guests Priority Departure. I’ll explain the details to you when you arrive onboard.

Cruel. Just cruel. Talking about disembarkation prior to embarking is soul sucking....

I'm following for the drama of adjusting to life outside of a suite! 

I love Maine so enjoy your time there! We've done both Halifax and St John as well (on Disney no less!). I am obsessed with ship disasters and both are excellent historical ports for that obviously. I'm sure your time will be much more upbeat than that though!

From Star Class on Wonder to WJ on Liberty? 😱 I love that you're looking forward to it.

You already know I'm looking forward to going back to included food venues after our rare Sky Class cruise but that's for different reasons and Wonder, of course, has several more options than Liberty. I didn't starve obviously but that was my only issue when we went back on Indy last year.

It's almost like food isn't your top priority. Different strokes I guess. 🤣

44 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

I am obsessed with ship disasters and both are excellent historical ports for that obviously.

Funny you mentioned that. I already told the family that one of our "must dos" in Halifax is to visit the Maritime Museum, specifically the Titanic section.

34 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

From Star Class on Wonder to WJ on Liberty?

I know right?! lol

34 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

It's almost like food isn't your top priority.

Oh but it is! On land though this time. We already have plans for donuts, cannoli, lobsters, etc. But Hubby is really excited for the WJ lol

Funny you mentioned that. I already told the family that one of our "must dos" in Halifax is to visit the Maritime Museum, specifically the Titanic section.

I know right?! lol

Oh but it is! On land though this time. We already have plans for donuts, cannoli, lobsters, etc. But Hubby is really excited for the WJ lol

I'll show my American ignorance here, lol... who knew this itinerary involved good donuts and cannolis? The lobster makes sense, of course.

Hubby and I would obviously get along but that became obvious when he almost didn't make it back to the ship at CocoCay after getting off for food. 🤣

Wait what type of room are you staying in? The 2BR GS? I love the freedom class ships and Liberty is the only one I need to get on. I keep looking at that itinerary, I am so excited to follow along. 

On another note, I just got RUB for my 10/15 Allure sailing: $1260pp to go to a CLS, $850 for 1BR AS or 2BR GS and $1760pp to go to the RLS.  My dilemma is I am sailing with 7 others and solo in my room. I am 2/2 on my RUB and have the feeling I would win, so I am vacillating. Nobody but me would be able to use the perks and I stressed that the only thing we would be doing is eating dinner together. Truly first world problems.

My wife and I enjoy reading your blogs.  Thanks for doing them.

56 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Portland & Boston 😋

Oh, and I forgot to mention poutine!! 

I love poutine.  I grew up in a small Maine town close to the Quebec border.  It was closer to go shopping in Canada than stay in the States, and I would always be allowed to get a plate of poutine when we went.

My wife and I did a spur of the moment Canada cruise from Boston on Voyager last October.  It was kinda weird to make a port call in our own state (Bar Harbor)....not to mention that when we were in St John we were an hour from her parents house, and in PEI her cousin met us at the pier and we spent the day with her.  It turned out to be our favorite cruise to date though.

If you folks run into problems in Portland, we're like five miles from town....errr...8 km that is.

16 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Wait what type of room are you staying in? The 2BR GS? I love the freedom class ships and Liberty is the only one I need to get on. I keep looking at that itinerary, I am so excited to follow along. 

On another note, I just got RUB for my 10/15 Allure sailing: $1260pp to go to a CLS, $850 for 1BR AS or 2BR GS and $1760pp to go to the RLS.  My dilemma is I am sailing with 7 others and solo in my room. I am 2/2 on my RUB and have the feeling I would win, so I am vacillating. Nobody but me would be able to use the perks and I stressed that the only thing we would be doing is eating dinner together. Truly first world problems.

Traveling with others is always the reason I won’t try for RU!  Sad because I would love just trying to get a bid in but when you’re with a group of people and rooms are all together it doesn’t make sense to “move on up” alone!

45 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

The 2BR GS?

That's the one! I hate the obstructed view on Freedom class aft cabins. But I needed the two bathrooms with the two teenage girls. We priced out connecting cabins. In this case, the 2 BD GS was cheaper.

46 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

On another note, I just got RUB for my 10/15 Allure sailing: $1260pp to go to a CLS, $850 for 1BR AS or 2BR GS and $1760pp to go to the RLS. 

Hmm...Lower bid to go to an A2 compared to the CL? That is strange.

Anyhow, I get the dilemma. It's definitely more complicated when part of your group has certain benefits that the rest do not.

37 minutes ago, teddy said:

If you folks run into problems in Portland, we're like five miles from town....errr...8 km that is.

I understand 8km, 5 miles, nope. lol

We booked an excursion on our own for Portland for the morning, and then plan to walk around the port area in the afternoon. Hopefully, uneventful 😉

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That's the one! I hate the obstructed view on Freedom class aft cabins. But I needed the two bathrooms with the two teenage girls. We priced out connecting cabins. In this case, the 2 BD GS was cheaper.

Hmm...Lower bid to go to an A2 compared to the CL? That is strange.

Anyhow, I get the dilemma. It's definitely more complicated when part of your group has certain benefits that the rest do not.

I love me an aft cabin. I also think anytime there is more than 3 people a second bathroom is needed.......especially if the 3rd or 4th person is a woman/teenager. 

I didn't think it was strange as the 1br AS is sky class too, but meh. I wasn't going to bid on that one, because I worried about the noise. 

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I didn't think it was strange as the 1br AS is sky class too,

You know what? I misread. I thought you had written that it was a bid of $850 to go to either 1 or 2 BDR ATS, but now I realized that you mean 1 BDR ATS or 2 BDR GS. So in light of that, yes, if both Sky class, and you are with a larger group, it may not be worth it.

Oh my how can you cruise without having CK filet???  Guess you will just have to dream on that and remember any cruise is better than no cruise.  Least there will be Ranger Cookies and Pizza ....

This could be once and only once back to basics for you.  Some things once you do, you never look back or think of doing it that way ever again.

You might need to eat in port before fighting crowds in WJ......

1 hour ago, SMOKEY0202 said:

Oh my how can you cruise without having CK filet??? 

We’re all going to find out! 😂

Now that I think about it, I honestly have no clue lol. The last time we did strictly MDR/WJ was back in 2018 on Indy. We have done all QN/OA class since then with Freedom last summer being the exception. But that sailing, Hubby and I bought the Ultimate Dining Package cause it was only two of us and it was our anniversary. 

54 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

Let’s make it an uneventful trip to New York!  

Yes please! D15 jokes that I have a fear of flying now. But not in the classic sense. In the way of fear of not being able to fly lol. I was even proposing to Hubby that we drive to Fort Lauderdale for our Odyssey sailing at the end of the year. 

Yes please! D15 jokes that I have a fear of flying now. But not in the classic sense. In the way of fear of not being able to fly lol. I was even proposing to Hubby that we drive to Fort Lauderdale for our Odyssey sailing at the end of the year. 

Yeah that wouldn’t be a fun drive. I am praying I don’t have to do that in November for my cruise on odyssey. We are set to fly out around 2pm from Chicago the day before the cruise. I would probably have until about 6pm to hit the road and drive through the night to get there in time if flight was cancelled. Really nervous since it’s the day after thanksgiving. 

6 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

Yeah that wouldn’t be a fun drive. I am praying I don’t have to do that in November for my cruise on odyssey. We are set to fly out around 2pm from Chicago the day before the cruise. I would probably have until about 6pm to hit the road and drive through the night to get there in time if flight was cancelled. Really nervous since it’s the day after thanksgiving. 

Airfare is super expensive to fly from DTW-FLL/MIA in December. That, combined with my recent dealings with Delta and Air2Sea (the whole debacle last month left me a bit mad at both), made me pitch the idea to Hubby. We are giving some serious thought to dropping the air altogether and driving straight down the I-75 towards Florida. The cons would be weather of course, and if Hubby is up for the long drive. We wouldn’t drive through the night. We would plan it so that we can spend the night near Atlanta. 

Did you book through Air2Sea? That would at least give you some level of protection, especially being the day after Thanksgiving.

5 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Did you book through Air2Sea? That would at least give you some level of protection, especially being the day after Thanksgiving.

I did not. Booked on southwest. Have points with them and free companion pass for the wife. There are like 4 more flights on southwest after ours to FLL from MDW so hoping we should be able to make it on some flight. Understand your thoughts on the drive. And yeah if you have the time and do it over 2 or 3 days could be a fun adventure on the way down presuming no bad weather. 

15 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

Now you have me thinking about a catchy title for my next live blog... hmmmm... 😀

I cannot wait to see what it will be! 

13 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

Have points with them and free companion pass for the wife.

Ah, gotcha. In the past when I have wanted to use points or Delta e-credit, I would book one way with Air2Sea and the return using my points/e-credit. That’s another idea for you….

YES I AM HERE FOR THIS!!!

i need to go back  through my notes because i am pretty sure we stayed in the 2BR GS aft on one of our family sailings and i remember LOVING the cabin. 

regardless, i am DELIGHTED for you all. 

i’m  also laughing as you’re coming east while my family goes west for an alaskan cruise… my collective cruise family is scattered to the winds!!

can’t wait to hear about embarkation and praying you all have safe flights here. 💚

ps: did i miss it? do you have specific NYC plans? one of my favorite restaurants is serafina - they do a BOMB truffle pasta (and pizza) and there are a few scattered throughout midtown. if you wind up going, just check the menu before as they don’t all do the truffles at every location. 💚

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

do you have specific NYC plans? one of my favorite restaurants is serafina

We have loose plans. We kept it loose because again, we don't know how much we can count on flights being on time. Also, if we do arrive on time, it will be around noon and I don't know if I can check in yet. But we do have some things we want to check out. Stay tuned. You guys will all laugh if we do get to our plans though. It's not your typical tourist hang out when you think of NYC.

I will have to look up Serafina. You had me at "truffle". Even if we don't make it this time, which I doubt we will because D15 is not into Italian food at all, my sisters and I are doing a sister's trip to NYC next month and that sounds like a place we might like.

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I will have to look up Serafina. You had me at "truffle

it is INCREDIBLE. 

i will confess to traveling in to the city just for that.  

and to be fair, it’s not WHITE truffle pasta, so let’s just set that expectation. but for the cost and the flavor… i get swept away every time.  

these are from three separate occasions (and three different serafina’s if i recall correctly.)

i’ve even taken clients there for dinner after a styling appointment and the laid back vibe and DELICIOUS food is always a hit. if not with the family this time, you will surely enjoy on your girls trip 💚

IMG_0489.jpeg

IMG_2643.jpeg

IMG_2593.jpeg

IMG_2594.jpeg

We did this cruise last year and it was the BEST!! Just beautiful, and i love ports of call where you can get off the ship and walk/uber anywhere you want to go. The seas were rough on our sailing, i am not sure its always like that heading to Canada but good to prepare if need be. 

Not sure your plans in the ports but I will share some of our favorites for both land trips and cruising!

In Boston you can download the freedom trail app for a self guided tour. We walked this followed by a trip to the JFK library and lunch at Harpoon brewery a short walk from the port. 

In Portland I highly recommend the Holy Donut for breakfast/snack and Eventide for lunch get there right at 11 if you can. Best lobster rolls & oysters. We also ubered to the Allagash brewery.

In bar harbor enjoy a nice lunch at Geddy’s, we loved the lobster pizza 🦞 🍕! The tender process was a little bit of a pain here so get off early with suites or book an excursion!

In halifax we walked to the maritime museum followed by a trip to the titanic grave site and peggys cove. Peggys cove was nice but very very busy. We went in the afternoon as a point of reference.

In saint johns we went to Bay of Fundy to see the low tides and enjoy lunch at a local spot. It was nice to see but a long bus ride to get to so something to keep in mind. 

12 minutes ago, l9dance said:

Portland I highly recommend the Holy Donut

Haha! You knew what I meant earlier when I said donuts and Portland! I have had my eye on this place since 2020. 

13 minutes ago, l9dance said:

In bar harbor enjoy a nice lunch at Geddy’s,

Someone else also mentioned this place to me a few days ago so I am definitely going to have to read some reviews and look at their menu to see if it might suit us. 

For most of the ports we have an excursion booked for the morning (some self and some through Royal), and then afternoon free to wander and do our own thing. 

On 8/17/2023 at 8:29 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We are giving some serious thought to dropping the air altogether and driving straight down the I-75 towards Florida.

Not a bad option for you given the state of the airline industry and you (and your luggage) would be guaranteed to be there the next day. My guys had talked about driving to Texas this year; it’s considerably closer for us than Florida but it would still take 3 days each way so that was a big no from me.  Lol