From Canada…to Canada: Discovering Liberty, Eh? – LB 08/24/23 – 09/02/23

Lovetocruise2002

7 hours ago, Rags1 said:

Just got caught up in this!  Spent the last couple days dealing with the Tropical Storm that just blew through Southern California. Can’t wait to follow your next adventure!  It will surely help to pass the time until we board Allure again in about 19 days!

I hope you and the family are doing ok. I also can’t wait for your next adventure because perhaps there is a @Rags1 blog coming? 😉 by then, I will need something to pass the time 

3 hours ago, Babsy47 said:

Worried about teens packing for a cruise?  We took our 18 year old to college Saturday morning.  He did not start packing until Friday night . . . for a year.   We had a stressful evening.

Oh my, I cannot even go there in my mind. I know post secondary is coming and I keep asking myself where my little girls have gone. 

You guys crack me up with your spreadsheets and color palettes.

My wife and I did have a color palette for spending 18 days in Alaska in 2018 but that was for practical reasons, not fashion (keep luggage to a minimum and make things easy). Since we wore nothing but jeans and black light hiking sneakers for the 10 days on land (hers may have been grey actually), there was a whole lot of black and grey in everything else we brought. Of course my wife had to go rogue and get a purple rain jacket but at least it came from the North Face outlet.

As someone who's used to throwing t-shirts and polos in a suitcase the morning of the cruise and driving an hour to PC for the Caribbean, that trip required way too much planning... but of course it was worth it.

More power to all of you who have to fly and go above and beyond with the planning for every cruise.

4 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

As someone who's used to throwing t-shirts and polos in a suitcase the morning of the cruise and driving an hour to PC for the Caribbean

I think it's been forensically proven that driving to the port negates the need for spreadsheets AND travel sized bottles of anything.  😀

1 minute ago, SweetPea said:

I think it's been forensically proven that driving to the port negates the need for spreadsheets AND travel sized bottles of anything.  😀

We actually do bring some travel size stuff but you're right, we definitely don't need to. Some are actually just free samples from who knows where (like the tiny toothpaste the dentist gives you, we save those for cruising).

On 8/18/2023 at 2:22 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We have loose plans. We kept it loose because again, we don't know how much we can count on flights being on time. Also, if we do arrive on time, it will be around noon and I don't know if I can check in yet. But we do have some things we want to check out. Stay tuned. You guys will all laugh if we do get to our plans though. It's not your typical tourist hang out when you think of NYC.

I work in NYC and rarely go in for fun but when I do my favorite thing is to have no plans. We always find some hole in the wall for food and have never been disappointed. Can't wait to find out where you end up!

Have a safe flight and looking forward to your cruise posts!

6 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

in a suitcase the morning of the cruise and driving an hour to PC for the Caribbean,

1 hour ago, SweetPea said:

Stop rubbing it in!! lol

19 minutes ago, ellcee said:

my favorite thing is to have no plans

We have "some" plans. But because we (or at least I am) are still traumatized from our last flight, I refuse to get too invested into any of those plans until we actually land tomorrow.

We were talking about it as a family and we are so blessed that we have been to NYC with the girls a few times now that they have seen all the major things there. But this might be our last time in NYC with D17 for quite a while so we pretty much let her pick. Even then, there is nowhere that is really pressing because we have had so many opportunities already. Such a blessing.

In a surprising twist of events....Hubby actually packed everything last night! lol

Really, I think it's because I was on his case so bad. He had to run an office meeting this morning and he has another phone meeting after work tonight. I told him he better not be trying to pack in the room while I am trying to go to bed early. Our flight is at 10:00 am tomorrow. With a departure time like that, we don't stay overnight at DTW. We just drive over around 6:00 am. That means I will be up pretty early tomorrow morning.

At this point, everything is done.

✔️ Flights checked in

✔️ Hotel checked in

✔️ Health questionnaire completed

✔️ Everything that can be packed at this point, is packed

I've been tracking our flight on Flight Aware since we came back last month. This flight is for the most part, consistently on time, and does not get cancelled. If something unfortunate happens tomorrow, the travel gods are definitely against me lol

Screenshot(84).thumb.png.ca14a1ba12c4b68051d2a64b4a118d98.png

6 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Wait, has D17 already picked her college and will no longer cruise with you?????

Nothing solid yet, but wherever she goes, our vacations with her will take a dive. We will lose March Break for sure because universities have "reading week" which is mid-October and mid-February. But I work during those times. That leaves us with summer (but she might be out for that too if she has a job that she cannot get out of or takes summer courses), or NYE sailings (she might be getting to a point where she wants to spend NYE with people other than her parents lol). So we know our vacation time as a family of 4 is running out. Just trying to maximize it the best we can. 😥 Wow, that makes me so sad to even type that....

27 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I've been tracking our flight on Flight Aware since we came back last month. This flight is for the most part, consistently on time, and does not get cancelled. If something unfortunate happens tomorrow, the travel gods are definitely against me lol

I forget how close you are to NYC. Basically the same as us flying to Vancouver.  I have good vibes about this one. 

Just now, Jax said:

I forget how close you are to NYC. Basically the same as us flying to Vancouver.  I have good vibes about this one. 

Yeah, less than an hour and a half by plane. I wish Royal had more varied itineraries from Cape Liberty. It would make us consider cruises from there more often. 

21 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Nothing solid yet, but wherever she goes, our vacations with her will take a dive. We will lose March Break for sure because universities have "reading week" which is mid-October and mid-February. But I work during those times. That leaves us with summer (but she might be out for that too if she has a job that she cannot get out of or takes summer courses), or NYE sailings (she might be getting to a point where she wants to spend NYE with people other than her parents lol). So we know our vacation time as a family of 4 is running out. Just trying to maximize it the best we can. 😥 Wow, that makes me so sad to even type that....

Don’t even get me started 😢 I am in the same boat but in my mind it’s worse because Reyd is an only child. 😩  I haven’t booked anything beyond summer 2024 but am hoping we can work around his apprenticeship. He will attend trade school 2 months per year for 4 years and apprentice the remaining 10 months so I am hoping this will be manageable for trips.  But who knows 🤷‍♀️

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I wish Royal had more varied itineraries from Cape Liberty. It would make us consider cruises from there more often

I feel the same about Vancouver and Seattle.  Limited itineraries and no Oasis class ships. 😞 

48 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

21 minutes ago, Jax said:

Don’t even get me started 😢 I am in the same boat but in my mind it’s worse because Reyd is an only child. 😩  I haven’t booked anything beyond summer 2024 but am hoping we can work around his apprenticeship. He will attend trade school 2 months per year for 4 years and apprentice the remaining 10 months so I am hoping this will be manageable for trips.  But who knows 🤷‍♀️

I hear you both.  Mine goes off in a week to university.  No more summer and March break cruises with all of us.  We booked this Dec holiday time so our son can come with us.  This Dec and next Dec (should) work and then who knows.

This is one of the reasons I treasure these cruise vacations together and they are really special.  Seems like you both feel the same.

Sabrina...on a different note. I know you typically fly out of Detroit to Florida but curious why you don't just depart out of Toronto for NYC?  It's only an hour or so flight and no commute (if I'm remembering correctly you are in the area).

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Yeah, less than an hour and a half by plane. I wish Royal had more varied itineraries from Cape Liberty. It would make us consider cruises from there more often. 

I hear you on that. Anything other than the stupid 7 night Bahamas itinerary (of which of course we're doing two) is priced extortionately or is in the popular cruising time like early January, where everyone needs a post holiday cruise in the heart of winter out of NJ ...

38 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Sabrina...on a different note. I know you typically fly out of Detroit to Florida but curious why you don't just depart out of Toronto for NYC?  It's only an hour or so flight and no commute (if I'm remembering correctly you are in the area).

Not worth it for us. DTW is 45 mins door to terminal. YYZ is 4 hours. Flying out of Detroit also makes it a domestic flight. Way cheaper. Flying out of YYZ would be international. I am not a fan of Delta right now, but AC is even worse. And YYZ is a disaster zone. Those are all the reasons. 

I might very well have to fly AC out of YYZ next July when we go to Europe. It's looking more and more like that is the cheaper option.

25 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Not worth it for us. DTW is 45 mins door to terminal. YYZ is 4 hours. Flying out of Detroit also makes it a domestic flight. Way cheaper. Flying out of YYZ would be international. I am not a fan of Delta right now, but AC is even worse. And YYZ is a disaster zone. Those are all the reasons. 

I might very well have to fly AC out of YYZ next July when we go to Europe. It's looking more and more like that is the cheaper option.

Ah ok, I thought you were closer to Pearson.

I know though...AC is both very pricey and as you say, a Pearson is a disaster, and totally understand wanting to fly US to US.  

Safe travels.

Good morning! Uneventful travel to DTW this morning. No waits anywhere, except when we got to security at McNamara terminal. They moved us to the international area to go through security. That was a first for us. Just had a quick meal at McDonald’s so the freeloaders don’t starve. Now having a coffee and trying to wake up. Flight looks good so far 🤞

IMG_8353.jpeg

12 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I love the black case…and you have probably talked about it before but…please tell me what brand it is.  I have something similar but certainly not as sturdy as that one looks to be.   Thanks!

It’s Beis. I have the pink and black. The black one is convertible, meaning that bottom rectangular compartment comes off. I love Beis. 

53 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Apparently, today is the first day that Delta is using the new Terminal A at Newark. That’s what the flight attendants said anyway. It’s pretty nice. Way better than Terminal B at EWR. 
08444463-83ef-4c47-be29-5f9bb5f3e1fa.thumb.jpeg.f6d356af75c8e9e8a69e64ca3e2fbfc0.jpeg

6a34a05b-5cff-4bc9-9caf-94a8330c30dc.thumb.jpeg.6eed7268e4dc0c528da2873a8fe156f2.jpeg

Newark airport, where a beer cost $26.  

And people think beer is expensive on cruise ships.  🙂 

On 8/20/2023 at 1:45 PM, Ampurp85 said:

The crazy emails are the ones thar say your name and stuff.

Like this cool animated one I got yesterday for my birthday!? Funniest part to me is they must know I’ve already purchased the DBP, Voom, excursions, dining for this sailing yet they still offer these “discounts” “for my birthday.” Then there is Celebrity, who I have never sailed with, offering me actual discounts on fares! 

ScreenShot2023-08-23at11_39_37AM.thumb.png.97d4cb9c03726c203619438bb51577bd.png

ScreenShot2023-08-23at11_39_58AM.thumb.png.2949dd22cb1bbf4e5c3d8f8c9ac229e1.png