Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Recommended Posts

I really like my TA, I feel so bad for her right now. She was very appreciative of the cruise I just booked for next year and was excited that I was booking something not canceling. I think I'll try and book my non-cruise trips with her as well for anything I have coming up even though I normally would do it myself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my TA Michelle Cunningham  too and hope the best for her but  here’s my rant - I’m so ticked off at Royal Caribbean right now it’s hard to think straight. I cancelled a cruise that was scheduled for Dec 20 on Harmony on 18 May 20 as we didn’t want to cruise in the craziness this year. 
 

I chose to get a refund and as of July 14th 2020, I’m still waiting for my money back. That’s just robbing the customer. I can’t imagine any other company running a business like this and keeping brand loyalty.  They have kept my money interest free and held hostage for almost 60 days and counting.  If I would have gotten the money in 7-10 days, like it should have been, I would have booked another cruise but now they have kept it for sooooo long no way I’m giving them any money.
 

They have proven they can’t be trusted with anymore than the deposit. Paying of cruises early like I used to do - nope no more money until I have to pay final. I’m trying to decide if I want to cancel my final RCI cruise on November 21 on Oasis and say bye-bye cruise line and do something else. I’m hanging on to a very small string and it’s about to snap. This really ticks me off!!!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VACruiser said:

I like my TA Michelle Cunningham  too and hope the best for her but  here’s my rant - I’m so ticked off at Royal Caribbean right now it’s hard to think straight. I cancelled a cruise that was scheduled for Dec 20 on Harmony on 18 May 20 as we didn’t want to cruise in the craziness this year. 
 

I chose to get a refund and as of July 14th 2020, I’m still waiting for my money back. That’s just robbing the customer. I can’t imagine any other company running a business like this and keeping brand loyalty.  They have kept my money interest free and held hostage for almost 60 days and counting.  If I would have gotten the money in 7-10 days, like it should have been, I would have booked another cruise but now they have kept it for sooooo long no way I’m giving them any money.
 

They have proven they can’t be trusted with anymore than the deposit. Paying of cruises early like I used to do - nope no more money until I have to pay final. I’m trying to decide if I want to cancel my final RCI cruise on November 21 on Oasis and say bye-bye cruise line and do something else. I’m hanging on to a very small string and it’s about to snap. This really ticks me off!!!

 

 

I’m pretty sure they’re robbing Peter to pay Paul at this point. They are burning $250 million a month just to keep ships afloat. The only money they have coming in are deposits, payments/final payments and cruise planner purchases. 
 

When someone makes a final payment, that money likely goes to pay someone else’s refund. 
 

I’m not making excuses for them but this has been a financial disaster. Not to mention most of these refunds are being done by hand as there isn’t a Computer program mass cancellations, although there should be by now. 
 

I’m not booking anything new until this appears to be behind us. I had 2 booked before the bottom fell out. One was already canceled (May) and rebooked for October (likely to be canceled) and one for October 2021. I’ve got enough FCC to just about pay for both so I’m not giving them anymore money. 
 

Have you escalated to a manager or resolutions team? I will say it makes no sense in how they’re processing refunds. Some get theirs quickly, others wait months. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just Royal Caribbean who has been slow with refunds.  I've seen complaints with most of the major cruise lines (and some of the not so major ones who won't even offer a refund option).  I've received money back on cancellations made in June while I'm still waiting for money back on May cancellations - there's not a lot of logical order (at least that I can figure out). 

However, there are dozens of threads about slow refunds.  I applaud this one about supporting our fantastic TAs.  They really have been taking a hit.  If I traveled at all anywhere I'd totally give her my business.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VACruiser said:

I cancelled a cruise that was scheduled for Dec 20 on Harmony on 18 May 20 as we didn’t want to cruise in the craziness this year. 
I chose to get a refund

If you cancelled a cruise (using Cruise With Confidence), you will not be getting a refund.  The only option for self-cancellation using CWC is a 100% FCC.  Since you did this in May, I certainly would have thought that you would have gotten the FCC by now, but if you are looking for a refund, I'm afraid you won't be seeing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If you cancelled a cruise (using Cruise With Confidence), you will not be getting a refund.  The only option for self-cancellation using CWC is a 100% FCC.  Since you did this in May, I certainly would have thought that you would have gotten the FCC by now, but if you are looking for a refund, I'm afraid you won't be seeing it.

Oh that would be interesting and a total misunderstanding on my part. An email has now been fired off to poor Michelle on what category I’m in at the moment. If that’s true I can apply the FCC to my November 21 cruise so I guess it would work but that just leaves more money with RCI.

As @Jillstated above they need money from others to pay others money out is the very definition a Ponzi Scheme. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If you cancelled a cruise (using Cruise With Confidence), you will not be getting a refund.  The only option for self-cancellation using CWC is a 100% FCC.  Since you did this in May, I certainly would have thought that you would have gotten the FCC by now, but if you are looking for a refund, I'm afraid you won't be seeing it.

Hmm, not sure there.  I canceled one for July just after final payment but before they canceled it, got a refund for 75% with a FCC for the other 25%.  I'd thought the same as what you said so inquired and was told that you'd get a refund for anything that you'd typically get refunded without the CWC and a FCC for anything that you'd ordinarily forfeit.  In this case I'd assume they'd get a refund for everything except the deposit and that they'd get as a FCC.

That said, I got the refund relatively quickly but the FCC I had to call about, evidently some sort of mixup with that.  Got corrected within a few days though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JasonL said:

I really like my TA, I feel so bad for her right now. She was very appreciative of the cruise I just booked for next year and was excited that I was booking something not canceling. I think I'll try and book my non-cruise trips with her as well for anything I have coming up even though I normally would do it myself.

Great Job Reaction GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, joshgates said:

Hmm, not sure there.  I canceled one for July just after final payment but before they canceled it, got a refund for 75% with a FCC for the other 25%.  I'd thought the same as what you said so inquired and was told that you'd get a refund for anything that you'd typically get refunded without the CWC and a FCC for anything that you'd ordinarily forfeit.  In this case I'd assume they'd get a refund for everything except the deposit and that they'd get as a FCC.

That said, I got the refund relatively quickly but the FCC I had to call about, evidently some sort of mixup with that.  Got corrected within a few days though.

You are right.  I should have said....if you cancel using CWC, you will receive a 100% FCC on the cruise fare.  Taxes, port fees and gratuities will be refunded to the original form of payment.  If you received 25% of your cruise fare as cash, then that's the first I've heard of that !!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

You are right.  I should have said....if you cancel using CWC, you will receive a 100% FCC on the cruise fare.  Taxes, port fees and gratuities will be refunded to the original form of payment.  If you received 25% of your cruise fare as cash, then that's the first I've heard of that !!

Yup, no idea if I was "victim" of a beneficial mix up or not, but I got everything back as cash except 25% of the fare.  Really surprised me since I expected to just get it back as a FCC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

You are right.  I should have said....if you cancel using CWC, you will receive a 100% FCC on the cruise fare.  Taxes, port fees and gratuities will be refunded to the original form of payment.  If you received 25% of your cruise fare as cash, then that's the first I've heard of that !!

I don't know if this is related or not.  It seems as if everything depends on whether it is booked "refundable" or "non-refundable".  Then it just depends on if you cancel BEFORE the final payment date or AFTER the final payment date.  This seems to create four entirely different scenarios so I never know for sure what happens in each case.

To make it even more complicated. What if you book as a non-refundable DEPOSIT but pay everything in full before the final payment date.  If you cancel before the final payment date---do you get a FCC for the deposit and does the additional money get refunded???

It is enough to make my head explode.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VACruiser said:

I like my TA Michelle Cunningham  too and hope the best for her but  here’s my rant - I’m so ticked off at Royal Caribbean right now it’s hard to think straight. I cancelled a cruise that was scheduled for Dec 20 on Harmony on 18 May 20 as we didn’t want to cruise in the craziness this year. 
 

I chose to get a refund and as of July 14th 2020, I’m still waiting for my money back. That’s just robbing the customer. I can’t imagine any other company running a business like this and keeping brand loyalty.  They have kept my money interest free and held hostage for almost 60 days and counting.  If I would have gotten the money in 7-10 days, like it should have been, I would have booked another cruise but now they have kept it for sooooo long no way I’m giving them any money.
 

They have proven they can’t be trusted with anymore than the deposit. Paying of cruises early like I used to do - nope no more money until I have to pay final. I’m trying to decide if I want to cancel my final RCI cruise on November 21 on Oasis and say bye-bye cruise line and do something else. I’m hanging on to a very small string and it’s about to snap. This really ticks me off!!!

 

 

I understand, completely, how you feel.  I’m still owed half of the money I have invested.  They did return the first half last week but I have to wait to the second week of August for the other half, so they say.  They say there is a delay because of the amount of requests.  Okay, I understand that.  But 60-90 days is ridiculous.  
So finally somebody was able to finally find the time to process one half of the money owed.    But what in the world is the reason for only refunding half??  They are definitely sitting on refunds.  I don’t think it can be explained in any other way.  
With that said, I’m a loyal customer and will sail as soon we can.  I just think it’s unfair how they are handling refunds.  
When you make a purchase, it’s immediately charged to you account.   I don’t expect the refunds to be immediate but a 7-10 days is reasonable.  
Southwest changed my flight so I was able to get a refund, not future credit.  I was getting the refund alerts on my credit card while I was still on the phone with them requesting the refund.  Just saying

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

It's not just Royal Caribbean who has been slow with refunds.

Yup! Took an act of congress to get my added upgrades with United Airlines refunded. Finally got the last $11.20 USD for two "September 11th Security Fee" for a two tickets booked with miles. I cancelled those flights back in late April.

I did cancel some cruise planner purchases on June 6th and June 20th and received those refunds around the end of June.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
add united
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, joshgates said:

Hmm, not sure there.  I canceled one for July just after final payment but before they canceled it, got a refund for 75% with a FCC for the other 25%.  I'd thought the same as what you said so inquired and was told that you'd get a refund for anything that you'd typically get refunded without the CWC and a FCC for anything that you'd ordinarily forfeit.  In this case I'd assume they'd get a refund for everything except the deposit and that they'd get as a FCC.

That said, I got the refund relatively quickly but the FCC I had to call about, evidently some sort of mixup with that.  Got corrected within a few days though.

Just a personal anecdote. With the amount of refunds and in some cases EXTRA funds being disbursed by accounting in theory a cruise with confidence certificate is refundable. I know this as RSS has advised it's all based on circumstances and depending who you get on the line... refunding basically anything is possible. OF course the RCL agent has to follow the guidelines but in some cases they can be waived. Again it's all circumstantial but at this point anything is possible with RCL depending who you get on the phone 🙂 of course it does take a lot of effort though and it doesn't always work the first time so patience is key when negotiating. But RCL does try to satisfy its directly booked guests. I know personally since I have already had several exceptions made for my sailing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Yup! Took an act of congress to get my added upgrades with United Airlines refunded. Finally got the last $11.20 USD for two "September 11th Security Fee" for a two tickets booked with miles. I cancelled those flights back in late April.

I did cancel some cruise planner purchases on June 6th and June 20th and received those refunds around the end of June.

Don't get me started on United Airlines.  I cancelled our flights back in April along with our cruise.  United made absolutely no effort to refund anything.  They simply directed me to their website to request a refund.  In order to request a refund "I had to cancel the flight first" and then request the refund.  The very instant that I cancelled a future flight credit was generated.  Then the refund request was denied because they claimed that I cancelled the flight.  I could somewhat understand except they were making daily changes to my flight that resulted in five connecting flights and tripling the time to reach my destination. United maintained there wasn't a "significant disruption" to my original itinerary even though some connections were impossible and one segment was cancelled. 

I'm in the final stages of a credit card dispute and it seems certain my temporary credit will be finalized soon and I will have a full undisputed refund.  It took awhile but RC made everything right 2 months ago.  Given all the complaints about RC, I can only say the United Airlines makes RC look good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

Don't get me started on United Airlines.  I cancelled our flights back in April along with our cruise.  United made absolutely no effort to refund anything.  They simply directed me to their website to request a refund.  In order to request a refund "I had to cancel the flight first" and then request the refund.  The very instant that I cancelled a future flight credit was generated.  Then the refund request was denied because they claimed that I cancelled the flight.  I could somewhat understand except they were making daily changes to my flight that resulted in five connecting flights and tripling the time to reach my destination. United maintained there wasn't a "significant disruption" to my original itinerary even though some connections were impossible and one segment was cancelled. 

I'm in the final stages of a credit card dispute and it seems certain my temporary credit will be finalized soon and I will have a full refund.  It took awhile but RC made everything right 2 months ago.  Given all the complaints about RC, I can only say the United makes RC look good.

Yep. Originally things were denied. Mine was an uphill battle but honestly, not all that horrible. I had to lay everything out for them purchase by purchase, and submit a statement via some refund link. The status page made it seem like things were being denied too, but I just sat and waited for emails with every intention of disputing it with my CC. I was okay with the credit and received that quickly, problem was I had a bunch of paid upgrades and United just shrugged their shoulders "non-refundable." I had $793.00 dollars in paid upgrades vs the $376.80 base fare as my credit. I was going down swinging.

I could type a book of the chain of events but it was a mess to start because I was fighting for Premium Economy refunds after jumping on a First Class upgrade deal ... THEN we decided to cancel. In the end all the money went back to my credit card less that United credit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crisgold52 said:

Just a personal anecdote. With the amount of refunds and in some cases EXTRA funds being disbursed by accounting in theory a cruise with confidence certificate is refundable. I know this as RSS has advised it's all based on circumstances and depending who you get on the line... refunding basically anything is possible. OF course the RCL agent has to follow the guidelines but in some cases they can be waived. Again it's all circumstantial but at this point anything is possible with RCL depending who you get on the phone 🙂 of course it does take a lot of effort though and it doesn't always work the first time so patience is key when negotiating. But RCL does try to satisfy its directly booked guests. I know personally since I have already had several exceptions made for my sailing.

I agree that they try to make things right.  It would be interesting to know if travel agents would agree also.  They must have a tough job being the person in the middle.  

I haven't had any extra refunds being dispersed.  However,  I have on several occasions done an online mock booking in order to know exactly what the final cost should be.  When I call in to make the reservation, I get quoted an amount that can be several hundred dollars less than I anticipate.  Usually the discrepancy is that taxes and fees are less than what is listed online.  I always get a bit nervous about doing a reprice later on because I think they will correct the "error".  Oddly, they always keep the same amount for taxes and fees no matter how many times I reprice.

Just the fact that they do a reprice says something.  Also, those 30% and 60% discounts seem to be overly generous.  I can never figure out how they calculate those!

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JasonL said:

I really like my TA, I feel so bad for her right now. She was very appreciative of the cruise I just booked for next year and was excited that I was booking something not canceling. I think I'll try and book my non-cruise trips with her as well for anything I have coming up even though I normally would do it myself.

I love this and went thru the exact same scenario; the MEI TA I'd been using is one of the 3 that recently left the industry  (and good for her) and I got assigned a new MEI TA and also felt like I should be giving her any business I reasonably could. I had just booked an all inclusive land vacation while I was waiting to virtually 'meet' the new TA and as soon as I was introduced asked if I could transfer her that booking I had made. It wasn't necessary; it was a simple AI and a well established resort that I could handle but felt like I wanted to 'help' the industry any way I could. (that was a spur of the moment NEED VACATION booking that I ended up cancelling anyway before the transfer went thru) so anyhoo when I got another Casino offer and 2nd room for some of our kids to join us I did it all thru the new TA. 

With all the cancelled vacations we'd had this year I was itching to get something firm on the books and booked a really really cool land trip but it's at a tiny boutique hotel (and a pre-stay at a local cheap-o hotel on the beach before heading to the cliffside boutique place;  so excited!!!) with flight credits and a couple minor annoyances so I didn't want to give her that PITA but am in the same mind set that I am trying to 'help' in any way I can.

I feel what you're saying and agree! 

Didn't mean to ramble on but points for being on topic for once ☺️

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes MEI is very reputable, its unfortunate that up here in Canada not many of us use their services per se. One of our very well known brick and mortar RED travel agencies which i am sure everyone knows of since their world wide and the airfare experts, now charge a comprehensive booking fee just to book anything especially cruises. As we all know TA's generally will need support but there's always bookings generated regardless as selling a vacation is easier generally than selling real estate 🙂

 

So there will always be bookings with TA's regardless I guess and if a TA is a part of a large Travel Agency or Consortium I would imagine they'd do pretty well. I once applied and went through the interview process for a job as a TA at the aforementioned RED Airfare Experts agency which I am sure we all know the name of. And just attempting to calculate the 'cost of seat' was a headache though there was lots of uncapped earning potential. They also had rather interesting names for their executives, their founder was called Skroo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Just as a general question - what is the hype with travel agents on here all about? I've never really used them and just wondering why they are so loved.

I have had multiple issues with my cancelled cruise that was supposed to happen this Sunday, July 19th on HOS.  My travel agent has been a God-send as she has been the one waiting on hold for many hours on my behalf.  (The last 2 weeks especially)  She does not get paid until I cruise, and I am sure all on here can vouch for the money all TA's have lost since this all happened.  She still calls and gives me updates with her same chipper voice as if nothing is going on in her world.  She has been great as I have been frustrated with Royal over my issues.  This is the reason I am sure that the posters on here, and myself, are very happy to have dedicated TA's who still deliver even when their financial world is being turned upside down.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...