Rising Tide Bar

How exactly does the Rising Tide Bar work?  Is it like an elevator?  Do you get on and "go for a ride".  I am trying to picture it, but all I keep thinking of is being a Ferris Wheel that keeps stopping to let people on.  Not sure why I can't wrap my head around this one.

While the mechanics of it are that of an elevator, it isn't really enclosed in the top.  When on the lower decks what is above you is a sky light of sorts in Central Park.  When you get to the top level (at Central Park) that skylight becomes the ceiling of the bar.

It stops for some quite a while at each floor, it's not as if you have to rush when the doors open.  In fact, my complaint on the Allure is that I wished it moved more often/frequently  The signage seems to allow for some sort of schedule to be displayed, but I never really caught on to what their routine was.

I hope that clarifies things.

While the mechanics of it are that of an elevator, it isn't really enclosed in the top.  When on the lower decks what is above you is a sky light of sorts in Central Park.  When you get to the top level (at Central Park) that skylight becomes the ceiling of the bar.

It stops for some quite a while at each floor, it's not as if you have to rush when the doors open.  In fact, my complaint on the Allure is that I wished it moved more often/frequently  The signage seems to allow for some sort of schedule to be displayed, but I never really caught on to what their routine was.

I hope that clarifies things.

Thank you, it does help.  I didn't realize you could get on at each floor, I think that is what was confusing me :)

Did you enjoy it, or was it more a novelty item you tried once?

Did you enjoy it, or was it more a novelty item you tried once?

We failed at it.  By that, I mean we looked forward to it quite a bit, but made very little time to check it out.  The time we did go in they seemed to stay in Central Park forever and we had to move on.  Next Oasis class sailing we're definitely be asking more about the schedule.

In fact, my complaint on the Allure is that I wished it moved more often/frequently  The signage seems to allow for some sort of schedule to be displayed, but I never really caught on to what their routine was.

If I remember correctly, the bar changes location every fifteen minutes. For example, at 5:30 it might depart the Royal Promenade to go up to Central Park, and then at 5:45 it would depart Central Park to go back down, and so on.

I have been on it on both the Oasis and Allure.  I didn't even notice it moving sometimes.  Its a nice novelty and if you have to go to deck 5 or 8 and want a drink its a nice time.  Small bar so the service isn't bad.  Don't get your hopes up too much.

Prior to cruising on Allure, I thought (incorrectly) that Rising Tide would move much more often. It is on a schedule and I believe there is a screen/sign near the entrance that shows the next departure time.

I agree with WAAAYTOO the seats are really uncomfortable. I've tried it on both Oasis & Allure and its neither here nor there to me. It does go slow enough to complete a cocktail on the journey and at night they have a singer for a bit of live music. I personally think they should ditch the elevator and build a bar circling a more lively LED light show & Bellagio style water show while people enjoy a drink.

I personally think they should ditch the elevator and build a bar circling a more lively LED light show & Bellagio style water show while people enjoy a drink.

I like that idea.  Not sure if that is practical, but I'd love that kind of an idea in general on existing ships or a new one.

I feel the same way about the Northstar on Anthem... Virtually the same view can be had from the former Viking Crown Lounge. That was such a great venue with the 360 glass and the live music. I say ditch the Northstar attraction and pump some $$ into moving the suite/Diamond lounge and coastal kitchen to perhaps a higher perch and give the common folk back their VCL! RC needs to put the $$$$ in the right places moving forward.

I feel the same way about the Northstar on Anthem... Virtually the same view can be had from the former Viking Crown Lounge. That was such a great venue with the 360 glass and the live music. I say ditch the Northstar attraction and pump some $$ into moving the suite/Diamond lounge and coastal kitchen to perhaps a higher perch and give the common folk back their VCL! RC needs to put the $$$$ in the right places moving forward.

I respectfully disagree. North Star's view is quite impressive, and its ability to move around the ship and offer 360 degree views around really make it substantially different than VCL. 

I do agree it would be great to restore the VCL access to all guests, but that is a completely different discussion.

I respectfully disagree. North Star's view is quite impressive, and its ability to move around the ship and offer 360 degree views around really make it substantially different than VCL. 

Stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.... does the North Star just go up and down, or can it turn and go over the side of the ship?

Stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.... does the North Star just go up and down, or can it turn and go over the side of the ship?

The NorthStar observation tower  uses a 7.1-ton glass-walled capsule on the end of a 41-meter-long (135 ft) crane arm. It goes up to over 300 meters above the waterline and can move in a ark from over the port side of the ships to over the starboard side, but it cannot go down over the sides,  just up and over the edge of the ship.  With up to 14 guests at one time. 

Building on what Todd said, it can only go over the sides of the ship when at sea.  While in port, it just goes up and down.

• 7 years later...

Its supposed to be every 30 mins, but as others have pointed out, it is highly variable. It depends on the staff and when they decide to go up and down. 

Also, as an aside, I think Oasis may still be the only one that has water jets that shoot up when the bar is on the 8th deck. I could be wrong in that they've removed (or don't activate it) anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Al Miller said:

I like the look of the fountain from the promenade when it is in the fully up position.

I do too.  I don't know why they quit operating the fountain on some of the ships.  I always liked the look of the fountains going when the Rising Tide was "up".

I also happen to still enjoy the RTB.  I still think it's cool and I like being on it...except on Oasis and Allure where the chairs are SOOOOO uncomfortable.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Water is heavy.  The fountain has a large water storage tank.  The later OA class were built without Rising Tide fountains so that weight could be used elsewhere and the space for the tank used for other purposes.

Thanks for the info. We just came of Symphony and yes there is no fountain

I love the look of it more than its functionality. It's a cool-looking feature on the Promenade, but its primary issue is its size. With the space taken by the bar, there's really only room for a half dozen or so tables and maybe 15 people on it. Usually when I've tried to get a spot on it there hasn't been one. And even if you do it's pretty compact. It's best for parties of 2.

As far as how often it moves, on Wonder there's actually a list of "departure" times, which I don't think is on the other Oasis ships, but I could be wrong.

The Bionic Bar is what it is. Kids like it for obvious reasons. I was surprised it was actually relatively busy in the evenings when we were on Wonder last year over Spring Break. Not adding it to Icon is a clear indication they decided that space is better used another way. Icon devoted more space along the Promenade to retail. In the coming years when the Oasis ships are due for a refresh, I wouldn't be surprised to see them replace Bionic Bar with one of those Royal-themes merch stores.

18 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

As far as how often it moves, on Wonder there's actually a list of "departure" times, which I don't think is on the other Oasis ships, but I could be wrong.

I should have taken a picture of it last week, but Harmony also had LED screens in the Royal Promenade and Central Park with a "Next Departure" time.

I agree about the size/seat availability. We were lucky to get the last table once that had only one seat. Thankfully, the missing seat was unoccupied at another table.