Labor Day Sale

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

And it cements that the elevated prices are the new norm. I'm back to a BOGO50 offer, and the price is $61/night instead of the $65/night on standard 20% off on-board pricing.

So I'm 100% #OffTeamDX for my sailing. Already have the Refreshment Package and got it at a very good price, so I'll bring my 2 bottles of wine with me and buy whatever other alcoholic drinks I'd like a la carte. I've no doubt I'll come out way ahead with this route vs. these DX prices.

Side note -- The DX + VOOM pricing is completely unchanged vs before the sale. It was $70/night before today, vs. $65/night for DX; and it's still $70/night vs current DX BOGO50 price of $61/night. I guess they're finding a good number of people who are foolishly buying the combo package, thinking it's a steal at just $5/night for single-device VOOM vs. the regular single-device price, not realizing that they're being massively fleeced on the DX package side of it.

1 hour ago, marti314 said:

Emerald does not have any drink package discounts, Diamond does not even have any drink package discounts.

Reports lately from Diamond + Members are saying that even those deluxe drink package discounts for D+ are now gone.  

This was my impression, but I was willing to be optimistic!  ? 

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

At least you're getting a 30% discount offer. 60 days out from my sailing and still only getting BOGO50.

I'm not so sure about this "Sale". I bought the DBP a few weeks ago under the BOGO50 sale at $47PP

Today's "30% Off" sale is listing the DBP at $48PP. Kind of diminishes my hope for a better deal later in the year.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I'll just remind everyone that in terms of breaking even on the DX package, the difference between a $48/day DX package and a $60/day DX package is one cocktail per day.

Added that missing bit, because let's be honest -- over the span of a 3 or 4 day cruise where you have one port that lets you use the drink package and it's maybe not a big deal. Get up to a 5 or 7 nighter, or even longer, and that extra cocktail each day becomes a bigger and bigger mountain to climb. Especially when you factor in the port days that don't let you use the package to its full extent unless you're "making up for it" after you get back from port.

My drinking capacity (aka my liver) hasn't magically changed just because the price went up. I'm fine having 3 drinks a day on average -- two at dinner, plus one mid-day or an after-dinner cocktail. Embarkation day and the first sea day I can probably swing one or two extra, but after that the alcohol fatigue definitely sets in trying to down those extra drinks. That's why I figured out that $45-$50 per day is my limit on buying the package, and that's after factoring in the non-alcoholic stuff I typically drink.

If Royal doesn't want to support that price point any longer, that's fine; it's their business and they can run it how they choose. I'll just switch to the Refreshment Package as my standard buy (until that gets too expensive, anyway ?) and go a la carte for my cocktails and / or wine. Royal still gets the same amount of my money as they would have gotten before, I just have to deal with the annoyance of paying it after the cruise instead of before.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

I'll just remind everyone that in terms of breaking even on the DX package, the difference between a $48/day DX package and a $60/day DX package is one cocktail.

The problem is you need TWO ALCOHOLICS for each cabin.....  LMAO...  Just an FYI... not all drinks are $12, a regular Vodka with a Juice or a Martini I think was about $8 to $10.

I just figured my cost on the Allure a few weeks back was 57/day/person or 798 for the week for drink with Internet, take 9 off for internet leaves 48 or 672 for the week.  So we had approx 55 drinks mostly Vodka and juice or a Martini, they were about $8 each (cost of Most vodka drinks) ($440).  We had about 8 large Specialty coffees (lattes) about $6 each ($36).  We had about 5 fresh squeezed juices, about $3 each($15).  We had about 20 waters at about $3.50 each($70).  So my total was 440+36+15+70=547, so I lost about $125.  Even if they charged $10 each for the Vodka Drinks that would add another $110 and I would still be $15 short.    And this was just me drinking.....  NO only kidding... 

Not thinking the package is worth it then and with the prices going up, really not worth it now.

On 8/28/2018 at 5:38 PM, yaya luvs to cruz said:

@monctonguy  Good luck. We're also waiting for a deep discount on drink package. Since we're sailing in January, we might have to wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Hope springs eternal.

ME TOO! 

We're sailing on Jan, 2020 and I've been vigilantly checking for specifically the damn deluxe drink package haha.

If Black Friday/Cyber Monday does not fall through at least we got Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and technically New Years.

There has to be something for the deluxe drink package for any of those holidays *fingers crossed*

On 8/20/2019 at 3:04 PM, VinceC said:

The problem is you need TWO ALCOHOLICS for each cabin.....  LMAO...  Just an FYI... not all drinks are $12, a regular Vodka with a Juice or a Martini I think was about $8 to $10.

I just figured my cost on the Allure a few weeks back was 57/day/person or 798 for the week for drink with Internet, take 9 off for internet leaves 48 or 672 for the week.  So we had approx 55 drinks mostly Vodka and juice or a Martini, they were about $8 each (cost of Most vodka drinks) ($440).  We had about 8 large Specialty coffees (lattes) about $6 each ($36).  We had about 5 fresh squeezed juices, about $3 each($15).  We had about 20 waters at about $3.50 each($70).  So my total was 440+36+15+70=547, so I lost about $125.  Even if they charged $10 each for the Vodka Drinks that would add another $110 and I would still be $15 short.    And this was just me drinking.....  NO only kidding... 

Not thinking the package is worth it then and with the prices going up, really not worth it now.

That's why I am bringing my 2 bottles of "wine".  $10 per bottle.

13 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

That's why I am bringing my 2 bottles of "wine".  $10 per bottle.

I can't decide if you put wine in quotes because you don't consider $10 a bottle to be real wine, or because you're playing some shenanigans with those two bottles. ?

I drink stuff at home regularly that's $8 or $9 a bottle and that I consider more than decent, so I'm kind of hoping it's the latter reason. ?

10 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I can't decide if you put wine in quotes because you don't consider $10 a bottle to be real wine, or because you're playing some shenanigans with those two bottles. ?

I drink stuff at home regularly that's $8 or $9 a bottle and that I consider more than decent, so I'm kind of hoping it's the latter reason. ?

wwwwhhhhaaattt? shenanigans? I know nothing of what you speak good sir.  yar!!

On 8/20/2019 at 9:34 AM, JLMoran said:

And it cements that the elevated prices are the new norm. I'm back to a BOGO50 offer, and the price is $61/night instead of the $65/night on standard 20% off on-board pricing.

So I'm 100% #OffTeamDX for my sailing. Already have the Refreshment Package and got it at a very good price, so I'll bring my 2 bottles of wine with me and buy whatever other alcoholic drinks I'd like a la carte. I've no doubt I'll come out way ahead with this route vs. these DX prices.

Side note -- The DX + VOOM pricing is completely unchanged vs before the sale. It was $70/night before today, vs. $65/night for DX; and it's still $70/night vs current DX BOGO50 price of $61/night. I guess they're finding a good number of people who are foolishly buying the combo package, thinking it's a steal at just $5/night for single-device VOOM vs. the regular single-device price, not realizing that they're being massively fleeced on the DX package side of it.

I’m on Symphony next May and just bought my DX+VOOM for $75. Last week they had that package at 25% off (which is same as BOGO50. 

DX alone was $65. So $10 a day to add VOOM. If I did DX and VOOM separate, my VOOM was $15.99 a day. 

I also looked at doing VOOM in day 2 but even at Diamond, I wouldn’t get down to $10 a day.

We still come out better with drink package. Break even for us is 4-5 drinks plus 2 bottles of water and we don’t have a problem meeting that quota. Lol 

Even with the 3 free drinks a day for Diamond, we still do better with the package.