I’m a born and bred New Jerseyan, enjoying good pizza is in my blood. I want to thank everyone here for the multiple warnings about Sorrentos. I’ll be sure to avoid it, as having it might lead me to swear off ever cruising again, and that would be a Bad Thing. 

On 12/31/2017 at 5:36 AM, JLMoran said:

I’m a born and bred New Jerseyan, enjoying good pizza is in my blood. I want to thank everyone here for the multiple warnings about Sorrentos. I’ll be sure to avoid it, as having it might lead me to swear off ever cruising again, and that would be a Bad Thing. 

That's horrible news. You MUST try it. It's part of the shared experience talking about how bad it is. 

On 12/31/2017 at 8:36 AM, JLMoran said:

Nope, you need to try it for "research purposes" and then live blog it 😜

I must have been on a different cruise I found it tolerable not terrible I will be on the indy in 10 days I will give it a try I did find the royal old room service menu fit for a vulture but the new menu is pretty good maybe the sorrentos pizza will be improved if enough people b---h or maybe if we all cater a sorrentos lunch directly to boss bayley if I am not mistaken carnivals pizza is on flatbread

On 12/31/2017 at 3:36 PM, JLMoran said:

Its not that bad, 

If you use your Alcohol package as it should and you  pour on the slice half of Tabasco bottle with some of the dry spices its eatable ....

Also there are two things I love about the Sorrento   :

It reduce the lines in cafe promenade.

It add seating area in the promenade ...

I have strong gastronomic empathy for you. I actually didn't have a problem with the pizza on my last cruise on Liberty. Is it possible that it is different from ship to ship? Or that the recipe has changed since last year? Or am I just a pizza boar, whose opinion is not to be trusted? 

Either way, I trust the rest of the cruise was pleasurable. You might try to grab a passable pizza slice in one of the ports.

I am picky about good food and I like sorrento's better than johnny rockets. Johnny rockets is terrible. Greasy cold fries and onion rings, Cheap frozen pre-formed patty's with no seasoning, limp greasy undercooked bacon. AND IT COSTS EXTRA! At least sorrento's is free and their sandwiches/stromboli's are good. Carnival has Guy Fieri's Burgers and I have heard from everyone that has tried them how great they are and it's included! Royal Caribbean needs to up their burger/pizza/bar food game. 

On 1/1/2018 at 11:33 AM, DocLC said:

That's horrible news. You MUST try it. It's part of the shared experience talking about how bad it is. 

Nothing like a piece of pizza after drinking all day (Sea day) and night, best hangover cure on the ship.

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

Nothing like a piece of pizza after drinking all day (Sea day) and night, best hangover cure on the ship.

Couldn't this be said about just about anything? If Sabor was open, then that would be the best hangover food, too. ;)

5 hours ago, Jason.H. said:

I am picky about good food and I like sorrento's better than johnny rockets. Johnny rockets is terrible. Greasy cold fries and onion rings, Cheap frozen pre-formed patty's with no seasoning, limp greasy undercooked bacon. AND IT COSTS EXTRA! At least sorrento's is free and their sandwiches/stromboli's are good. Carnival has Guy Fieri's Burgers and I have heard from everyone that has tried them how great they are and it's included! Royal Caribbean needs to up their burger/pizza/bar food game. 

Frankly, I was not at all impressed with Guy Fieri's burgers on Carnival. But the pizza was pretty good.

Sorrentos is not good.

I'd gladly take any of the big chains over it- Dominos, Papa John's , Pizza Hut, or even up here in Canada Pizza Pizza.... that is saying something

Michael Bayley has said they are working on the pizza... There had been no improvement on my last cruise.. we'll see what the Anthem has in store for me in a month.

2 hours ago, constable145 said:

or even up here in Canada Pizza Pizza.... that is saying something

Sure , if you prefer Pizza Pizza over Sorrentos its saying allot about Sorrentos :1_grinning: 

Pizza Pizza is something we used to have during the middle of sleepless night which we had huge production problem , it was the only things that was open and after I was eating it I use to cruised myself for doing so.

Agree that any chain will be better , but even not a chain (since they will need to pay for the name and guess who will pay for what they are paying) , just better recipe  and better cheese (they should find something else to do with the recycle plastic bottles, Sorrento "cheese" is not the answer for everything)

3 hours ago, constable145 said:

or even up here in Canada Pizza Pizza

Is that the same brand as Little Caesar's Pizza here in the US? Their tag line is, "Pizza Pizza", and they're another truly awful chain line.

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Is that the same brand as Little Caesar's Pizza here in the US? Their tag line is, "Pizza Pizza", and they're another truly awful chain line.

Oh, we have Little Caesar's here in Canada.  It's awful.  Whenever we go to Joe Louis Arena (now known as Little Caesar's Arena, I thought it was a joke at first lol) I always pray that we don't win the pizza toss.

Little Caesars I would say is a little better than Sorrento's but not much...however it is cheap so it is what it is.

I have to admit that the "snack" or pub type foods on Royal has never been very good in my experiences. Which is both surprising and disappointing. I am surprised more customers over the years haven't complained to the point where they would do something about it.

Hoping celebrity has better and tastier options?!......I know they have the grill out on the pool deck for burgers and snacks, but not open late I am sure so I guess I'll have to see once I am on board in 12 days!

It's amazing to me though, every ship I have been on, there are times you can't get in to Sorrento's, especially later in the evening and night when everything else is closed.

It may be bad pizza but people still go in there and get 3-4 pieces at a time...

I've waited for all of the "haters" to have their say and I will take a stab at standing up for Sorrento's pizza !!

:1_grinning:

I will start out by admitting that I am neither a pizza snob nor a pizza connoisseur but I think the pizza at Sorrento's (at least, on Allure, which is one of the very few times I have tried it) wasn't bad.  I have certainly had better but I have had FAR worse, too.

Admittedly, we got the pizza when it was very fresh (immediately after they opened) and we were enjoying a nice cold beverage across the way in the pub while they were putting up the Christmas tree on Allure in Nov. but we rather enjoyed it.

Not much else to say, really.  When you are really hungry and it is right there waiting for you, it's ok.

I will make myself an even GREATER target by admitting that I also don't mind the hot dogs at the Dog Shack (or whatever it's called).  I love the greasy burgers at Johnny Rocket's too.  So there.

6 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Nah. Different chain. Similar slogan. 

I'd take a 5 dollar hot and ready from little ceasars over Sorrentos.. That's how bad the RCI pizza is 

I gotta go with Waaaytooooo as well.

Look, it ain't artisanal, I get it.  But when the time comes, and we all know what time I'm talking about, Sorrento's is as good an option 

as there is on the boat!  If I'm looking a little cock-eyed and listing a bit when I walk, I don't want lobster or prime rib - just gimme some za, even Sorrento's.

Unrelated, but this thread is a fantastic example of why when you read cruise reviews and someone writes "the food was terrible" or "the beds were awful" or "Billy was really annoying", you can't hold any of it as gospel.  Food is so subjective, as evidenced by this thread! 

Okay, I feel better now :6_smile: