RC looks to roll out a 3rd fixed dining slot

Since we almost always have a couple of specialty meals stuck into the itin. somewhere, I suspect we will stick with MTD.  I don’t want to take up a “fixed” seat when chances are I’m going to be somewhere else more than half the time.

I guess we have been extremely lucky with MTD.  We’ve never really had a bad experience.  As long as it continues to work for us, we will continue to use it.

This is definitely going to clutter up my time or change it's structure. I could potentially see MTD being changed where, instead of showing up whenever, ;you can float and swap between the three set times daily. So on one day you can have 5, then the next two days 8, then 6:30, then back to 5..

What I also wonder...how will this effect shows? Historically, shows were planned with late and early dining in mind but I wonder if it will mean more people struggling to see shows if they have that middle slot? Or more show slots? Show times no longer carrying about dinner times?🤔

Due to medical reasons my Dad will want to eat at a set time every day. However, 5pm is pretty early for most though seating at 5pm means you'll get your food later than that. I'm glad they are opening it up, but for those of us who are usually pretty laid back MTD will be just fine.

3 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

That middle time will be filled up in nothing flat when booking opens by those who opt for fixed dining and like to eat at a reasonable time (that would be us - 5:00 is way too early and 8:00 is way too late).

I find it funny that people think 8pm is an unreasonable time for dinner, but for me, 8:00 is the absolute earliest I find "ok" to have dinner. Not when the sun is still up.

I wrote this under the article but thought I'd repost here:

It will be interesting to see how what changes are made to the entertainment schedule to accommodate the new (middle) dining option.  Up to now, there are 2 shows in the theatre.  The first show is to accommodate the late diners and the second show accommodates the early diners.

On a different note, while we eat early at home, we prefer the late dining on cruises.  This is because we don't want to be rushed back to the ship on port days and gives the wife plenty of time to get ready (while I'm enjoying my adult beverages).  If we're really hungry, we get a slice or 2 of pizza at Sorentos to hold us over.

1 hour ago, baltodave said:

I wrote this under the article but thought I'd repost here:

It will be interesting to see how what changes are made to the entertainment schedule to accommodate the new (middle) dining option.  Up to now, there are 2 shows in the theatre.  The first show is to accommodate the late diners and the second show accommodates the early diners.

I don't think anything will have to change with the show schedule. Plenty of people are eating at that middle time now via MTD.

Well after losing 80 pounds 7 or 8 years ago one of my rules is not eating after 8PM so that time is out. 5 at home is perfect, on a cruise too early. The new 6:45 times is better but everyone on Earth is going to try to get it. We'll stick to 5 PM but some ships are different aren't they? Anthem just this past week was 5PM but Liberty was 5:30 in October and that 30 minutes makes a big difference to us. We are Liberty again in October and it says 5:30 again. We will NEVER ever do MTD after the debacle on Oasis. I mean never ever. Never got in to the MDR on the first night of our Oasis cruise and broke my 8PM rule buy eating in the Windjammer which is another rule, no Windjammer for dinner. I don't like the buffet for dinner at all, just doesn't feel right. We rarely eat in the Windjammer at all. Too many rude people and too hectic for me.  

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Well after losing 80 pounds 7 or 8 years ago one of my rules is not eating after 8PM so that time is out. 5 at home is perfect, on a cruise too early. The new 6:45 times is better but everyone on Earth is going to try to get it. We'll stick to 5 PM but some ships are different aren't they? Anthem just this past week was 5PM but Liberty was 5:30 in October and that 30 minutes makes a big difference to us. We are Liberty again in October and it says 5:30 again. We will NEVER ever do MTD after the debacle on Oasis. I mean never ever. Never got in to the MDR on the first night of our Oasis cruise and broke my 8PM rule buy eating in the Windjammer which is another rule, no Windjammer for dinner. I don't like the buffet for dinner at all, just doesn't feel right. We rarely eat in the Windjammer at all. Too many rude people and too hectic for me.  

I like your eating rules. I try to stick to it at home but find it difficult on a cruise.  and Congrats on the weight loss and being able to keep it off.

On 2/28/2024 at 4:12 PM, JFCruise said:

I find it funny that people think 8pm is an unreasonable time for dinner, but for me, 8:00 is the absolute earliest I find "ok" to have dinner. Not when the sun is still up.

You should not be eating that late in the evening unless you are up and doing things until 12 midnight. You done want to eat and then sit the rest of the evening. 

Eating late and then just sitting is what leads to obesity. 

On 3/4/2024 at 12:59 PM, Jolly Ogre said:

You should not be eating that late in the evening unless you are up and doing things until 12 midnight. You done want to eat and then sit the rest of the evening. 

Eating late and then just sitting is what leads to obesity. 

Meh - I usually sleep by 1, 2 am. And late dinner is a thing in my culture and not everyone is obese.

On 2/28/2024 at 1:06 PM, HeWhoWaits said:

That middle time will be filled up in nothing flat when booking opens by those who opt for fixed dining and like to eat at a reasonable time (that would be us - 5:00 is way too early and 8:00 is way too late).

Agreed!

On 2/28/2024 at 1:34 PM, CrimsonCruiser said:

This is definitely going to clutter up my time or change it's structure. I could potentially see MTD being changed where, instead of showing up whenever, ;you can float and swap between the three set times daily. So on one day you can have 5, then the next two days 8, then 6:30, then back to 5..

What I also wonder...how will this effect shows? Historically, shows were planned with late and early dining in mind but I wonder if it will mean more people struggling to see shows if they have that middle slot? Or more show slots? Show times no longer carrying about dinner times?🤔

That was my thoughts exactly 

On 3/4/2024 at 2:01 PM, Jolly Ogre said:

My concern is that we have cruises booked now thru 2025 and they are all MTD. If they get rid of MTD do we get to pick which meal service we want? Or is it just randomly assigned? I would not be happy with either early or late time dining.

I’d contact your  travel agent and make your request now so they have it on file. Then they can make the change quickly should they get notified.

our MEI agent has it listed in our file that we want early seating and a table for two.

good luck!

• 2 weeks later...