Jump to content

How much luck with Royal Up?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, FManke said:

When you bid, did you bid 50% of the difference in price between classes? More or less? What were the minimum bids as a % of actual upgrade costs?

Thanks.

 

Happy Cruising!

 

I bid more like 70-80%. In the end I didn’t save a ton (hundreds not thousands). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I bid more like 70-80%. In the end I didn’t save a ton (hundreds not thousands). 

Thanks.

Just curious. I know others have bid the minimum and gotten it, so it seems to be all over the place. I guess it all depends on how any people bid and how much they bid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FManke said:

Thanks.

Just curious. I know others have bid the minimum and gotten it, so it seems to be all over the place. I guess it all depends on how any people bid and how much they bid. 

And how desirable the cruise is (ship, holiday, level you are bidding on). I would assume it’s easier to win the higher levels like loft suites exc since presumably less people want to spend that money (also the reason I’m only saving hundreds not thousands). It’s most likely more competitive on the inside room to balcony upgrades. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My husband bids all the time, but we have only won once.  It was on a 9-night Anthem New England / Canada cruise in October.  We went from a balcony to a junior suite.  He bid the max of $1,000.  The price difference to pay for the upgrade was consistently $3,000, which was the reason I booked the balcony.  We feel like we got a great deal.  We were assigned to JS 6632 which was awesome.  That balcony was really meant for a warm weather cruise!

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm new to RCL but I've found this is a complicated arena to get data on as few want to share info because technically the readers are their competitors. I'm going out on a limb, going on one of the adventure sailings out of Nassau in August but now there are domestic options so it's unlikely tons of people will sign up  from here on out plus you have to factor in capacity restrictions and our flight is essentially sold out as are many (no two seats together left) as we are about 6 weeks out and anyone looking to book will pick another sailing, I know I would have had I not booked it months ago when it was the only option because air has doubled in price since then. Prices are a bit higher now than when I booked and I booked a JS then bid on a GS and an OS. Only a couple of GS left and a bunch of OS left. I bid about 60% of the difference for GS but near minimum for OS hoping some GS would get moved to OS and I could have their GS. Per couple currently stands at 2850 for JS, 4600 gs and 7300 OS. But I paid closer to 2600 for JS, so my question is, do they go off the dollar net from the customer or the difference between the current prices. I gave all the details because I don;t care that much, I'm fine with a JS, if I get the upgrade, great, if not, I'm still on a cruise and not at work plus I'm not paying 7300, if I get the GS for a grand or the OS for 1500, great, but I don't see 5k more value, that puts it in viking territory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Temeculaguy said:

I'm new to RCL but I've found this is a complicated arena to get data on as few want to share info because technically the readers are their competitors. I'm going out on a limb, going on one of the adventure sailings out of Nassau in August but now there are domestic options so it's unlikely tons of people will sign up  from here on out plus you have to factor in capacity restrictions and our flight is essentially sold out as are many (no two seats together left) as we are about 6 weeks out and anyone looking to book will pick another sailing, I know I would have had I not booked it months ago when it was the only option because air has doubled in price since then. Prices are a bit higher now than when I booked and I booked a JS then bid on a GS and an OS. Only a couple of GS left and a bunch of OS left. I bid about 60% of the difference for GS but near minimum for OS hoping some GS would get moved to OS and I could have their GS. Per couple currently stands at 2850 for JS, 4600 gs and 7300 OS. But I paid closer to 2600 for JS, so my question is, do they go off the dollar net from the customer or the difference between the current prices. I gave all the details because I don;t care that much, I'm fine with a JS, if I get the upgrade, great, if not, I'm still on a cruise and not at work plus I'm not paying 7300, if I get the GS for a grand or the OS for 1500, great, but I don't see 5k more value, that puts it in viking territory.

I really don’t think it’s that competitive. First off, RC is technically a family friendly budget cruise line in the same category as NCL, CCL and a few others. Most people are not looking to spend more then they have to on an already expensive vacation. I can see the lower tier staterooms from inside to balcony being highly competitive but once your at GS level and higher I just don’t see percentage wise being too competitive. I personally bid maximum on the highest level suite upgrade I’m offered and I win most times (so far). There clearly are not that many people who would part with $5-6k extra to upgrade suites. That’s been my experience. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Temeculaguy said:

I'm new to RCL but I've found this is a complicated arena to get data on as few want to share info because technically the readers are their competitors. I'm going out on a limb, going on one of the adventure sailings out of Nassau in August but now there are domestic options so it's unlikely tons of people will sign up  from here on out plus you have to factor in capacity restrictions and our flight is essentially sold out as are many (no two seats together left) as we are about 6 weeks out and anyone looking to book will pick another sailing, I know I would have had I not booked it months ago when it was the only option because air has doubled in price since then. Prices are a bit higher now than when I booked and I booked a JS then bid on a GS and an OS. Only a couple of GS left and a bunch of OS left. I bid about 60% of the difference for GS but near minimum for OS hoping some GS would get moved to OS and I could have their GS. Per couple currently stands at 2850 for JS, 4600 gs and 7300 OS. But I paid closer to 2600 for JS, so my question is, do they go off the dollar net from the customer or the difference between the current prices. I gave all the details because I don;t care that much, I'm fine with a JS, if I get the upgrade, great, if not, I'm still on a cruise and not at work plus I'm not paying 7300, if I get the GS for a grand or the OS for 1500, great, but I don't see 5k more value, that puts it in viking territory.

Also- important to note, it’s much easier (and fun) to get the best suites at the lowest prices by spending ALOT of money in the casino. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always bid the minimum. I figure if Royal really needs my room they’ll accept my bid. I’m at a 50% success rate so far, out of 6 tries. Now, I’m always going from a Junior Suite to something bigger, so I suspect that’s why I’m doing so well — lots of people bid for a Royal Up to a JS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RoyalUp is run through a third party, so it's really their proprietary algorithms that they've devised along with Royal's guidance that rolls out in the execution of accepting offers.  There are probably many different layers to this.  You have to remember that moving one cabin up with an accepted bid can cause a chain reaction all the way down the line as other bids are there to take the now-empty cabin.  So your bid being accepted may not even depend on how much you bid, but more if the cabin you are currently in is in demand.  Then there's also the case of having promised bids ready to go in the case of last minute cancellations.  The room was gonna be empty anyways, so might as well move someone up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New to cruising.  Does the Royal Up feature apply to suite class too.  I.e. we are booked in an Owners Suite for Oasis (Sky Class I believe).  Would we be eligible and what is up from that, lowest Star Class Suite I suppose?  Frankly, really like the layout of the Owners suite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just curious - we have two connecting sup balcony cabins on Jewel of the Seas.

Can I bid for royal up for one of the rooms - eg the OW 2BR - and cancel the second cabin with transferring the pax into the upgraded cabin?

 

Caro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Carotthat said:

Just curious - we have two connecting sup balcony cabins on Jewel of the Seas.

Can I bid for royal up for one of the rooms - eg the OW 2BR - and cancel the second cabin with transferring the pax into the upgraded cabin?

 

Caro

Royal Up is run by a 3rd party and I don't think they look, and they probably can't access any reservations to look, they just execute upgrades on a per cabin basis.

Canceling a different cabin to xfer guests to a newly obtained 2BR cabin will carry the standard fees for cancelling that cabin so definitely not worth it.  

If you have connecting cabins or a desire to stay close to another cabin I'd avoid Royal Up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ConstantCruiser said:

Royal Up is run by a 3rd party and I don't think they look, and they probably can't access any reservations to look, they just execute upgrades on a per cabin basis.

Canceling a different cabin to xfer guests to a newly obtained 2BR cabin will carry the standard fees for cancelling that cabin so definitely not worth it.  

If you have connecting cabins or a desire to stay close to another cabin I'd avoid Royal Up.

Thanks, didn't remember that.

Although the cancellation fees now are bearable, I'll only bid for a small upgrade ? Would it technically work to add these guest by calling RCL in the newly obtained cabin?

Is it true, RCL does right now only fill the ships up to 1/3 capacity?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Carotthat said:

Thanks, didn't remember that.

Although the cancellation fees now are bearable, I'll only bid for a small upgrade ? Would it technically work to add these guest by calling RCL in the newly obtained cabin?

Is it true, RCL does right now only fill the ships up to 1/3 capacity?

You can execute a Cruise With Confidence cancellation for the other cabin and those guests will eventually get an FCC in their name but you won't be able to use it to rebook those guests in your newly acquired 2BR suite.   You can use it for another cruise though.

Keep in mind that Royal Up could occur the day before the cruise in which case the cruise is ineligible for CWC (must be at least 48 hours).

The first sailings for Adventure of the Seas appear to have around 1/3 capacity but I wouldn't use that as a defacto standard.  Royal has stated they will increase capacity over time.  Other ships will restart differently and as the situation evolves not even Royal knows today what capacity limits will be used two weeks from now or two months from now on any given ship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2021 at 8:59 PM, KristiZ said:

I always bid the minimum. I figure if Royal really needs my room they’ll accept my bid. I’m at a 50% success rate so far, out of 6 tries. Now, I’m always going from a Junior Suite to something bigger, so I suspect that’s why I’m doing so well — lots of people bid for a Royal Up to a JS.

I think this has to factor in for sure. IMHO, I would have to imagine most people bidding to go from something less desirable like an interior stateroom to a balcony would take up the majority of Royal Up bids. On the higher end where you already have a desirable room like a JS I can’t imagine it being as competitive to upgrade. In my experience this has been the case. I can’t however comment on the amount and whether I would have won bidding low because I normally bid on the higher end since it makes sense financially for the upgrade. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2021 at 11:44 AM, ConstantCruiser said:

Royal Up is run by a 3rd party and I don't think they look, and they probably can't access any reservations to look, they just execute upgrades on a per cabin basis.

Canceling a different cabin to xfer guests to a newly obtained 2BR cabin will carry the standard fees for cancelling that cabin so definitely not worth it.  

If you have connecting cabins or a desire to stay close to another cabin I'd avoid Royal Up.

Not positive, so more of a question, does not adding a person to a cabin also allow RCI to reprice the whole cabin?  If not how do they calculate the charge for the added person?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

Not positive, so more of a question, does not adding a person to a cabin also allow RCI to reprice the whole cabin?  If not how do they calculate the charge for the added person?

Usually if the 3rd person pricing hasn't been locked in, yes there would be a reprice at prevailing rates for all passengers.  You lock in the 3rd person pricing when you originally book. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So for those curious about RoyalUp Bids after Covid, I am pretty sure mine was just accepted. I was in an Inside Stateroom and bid the minimum on most every category, with the exception of the Spacious Interior & Ultra Spacious OV that I bid considerably higher than the minimum. All my bids are now expired except for my bid for an OV Balcony. It was for $50/pp which was the minimum bid. I only added it last night as I suspected many of the categories I bid on are rooms that the cruiseline is keeping empty (categories that were never available). My bids for the 2 categories above were more than I bid for the balcony.

Now just waiting for confirmation and new room assignment. We leave on Friday.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...