Member Benefits Update

33 minutes ago, Matt said:

Looks like @smokeybandit was right all along.

From the Diamond host to another guest that asked

drinks-ad-dl.jpg

I'm still not sure I believe it (as in they may change their minds), but I guess this about keeping crowds low in DL.

Now is the wrong time for Royal to be devaluing the C&A loyalty program. I think that I am not alone when I say that I really enjoy the Diamond and Suite/Concierge lounges because of the other people that are in there, and to simply turn them into more bars just to thin out the crowd is really missing the point.  On longer cruises, they thin out the lounge crowds by moving the happy hour event to a larger space.  They are very well attended even in the larger space.  I hope that they get this corrected in the next few days, otherwise, there are going to be a lot of negative things written by all of the people on the June 12th cruise.

Clearly their goal is keep the Diamond Lounge from becoming overcrowded, and if you had unlimited drinks there, lots of people would go there to maximize their free drink benefit.

By making it 4 or 5 drinks per day across the board, there is little incentive to go to DL, thus achieving their goal.

So it makes sense from a social distancing standpoint, but obviously it could be a reduction in free drinks for some.

Full disclosure, I have the drink package so doesnt bother me all that much, but I certainly understand the concern.

4 hours ago, Crusie said:

We’re thrilled to offer you additional beverage vouchers to be used at any bar, at any time OR in the Diamond Lounge during the nightly Happy Hour

I see that it say or in the Diamond Lounge during happy hour. So my take is they can be used at any time.

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

Clearly their goal is keep the Diamond Lounge from becoming overcrowded, and if you had unlimited drinks there, lots of people would go there to maximize their free drink benefit.

By making it 4 or 5 drinks per day across the board, there is little incentive to go to DL, thus achieving their goal.

So it makes sense from a social distancing standpoint, but obviously it could be a reduction in free drinks for some.

Full disclosure, I have the drink package so doesnt bother me all that much, but I certainly understand the concern.

We’ve always gotten the drink package as well but with 2 port intensive cruises coming up in 2022, sure will be nice if they keep it at 4 drinks. Heck even if it goes back to 3, I still likely won’t get a package. I can’t imagine hiking with a hangover lol 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Looks like @smokeybandit was right all along.

From the Diamond host to another guest that asked

drinks-ad-dl.jpg

I'm still not sure I believe it (as in they may change their minds), but I guess this about keeping crowds low in DL.

Maybe I was right too since I said that when I posted it!  ?

I asked 

Hi, Gretchen. Lounges will operate at limited capacity (50%), first-come basis
Happy Hour is standardized fleetwide, 5-8 PM. Only during the Happy Hour will bar service be offered, where the lounge will be manned by staff. SeaPass card drink redemption can take place in the lounge (no open bar). Packaged food selection will be available at the Diamond Lounge during Happy Hour. -Yami

9 minutes ago, Crusie said:

I asked 

Hi, Gretchen. Lounges will operate at limited capacity (50%), first-come basis
Happy Hour is standardized fleetwide, 5-8 PM. Only during the Happy Hour will bar service be offered, where the lounge will be manned by staff. SeaPass card drink redemption can take place in the lounge (no open bar). Packaged food selection will be available at the Diamond Lounge during Happy Hour. -Yami

So the Diamond Lounge has all but been rendered useless.

11 minutes ago, Jill said:

I don’t think this will be permanent. Depending how the summer goes, I would imagine by September it may change. Worst case until the CSO expires November 1. 

Then We’ll all complain that they took the extra drink away! ?

For me, 4 free drinks a day would easily make the drink package not make sense.  I suspect there will be a lot less packages sold to Diamond and above.

51 minutes ago, Jill said:

I don’t think this will be permanent. Depending how the summer goes, I would imagine by September it may change. Worst case until the CSO expires November 1. 

Then We’ll all complain that they took the extra drink away! ?

I completely agree.

59 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So the Diamond Lounge has all but been rendered useless.

I disagree.

I don't spend much time in the DL, but I think if you were to ask most Diamond folks why Royal Caribbean shouldn't get rid of the lounge and just give you the drinks elsewhere, this is what they'd say....

1. It's about the social aspect

2. It's about having a place exclusively for Diamond members.

So by keeping the lounge open, albeit with diminished drink choices, those primary elements are still there.

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

I disagree.

I don't spend much time in the DL, but I think if you were to ask most Diamond folks why Royal Caribbean shouldn't get rid of the lounge and just give you the drinks elsewhere, this is what they'd say....

1. It's about the social aspect

2. It's about having a place exclusively for Diamond members.

So by keeping the lounge open, albeit with diminished drink choices, those primary elements are still there.

I could buy that. But getting rid of the happy hour and in exchange only giving you an extra 1-3 drink coupons doesn't seem a fair swap.

1 hour ago, MelKaps said:

I hope this will carry over to the other ships sailing this summer. From someone who doesn't purchase the drink package, it would be nice to redeem a free drink earlier in the day instead of waiting until ~4:30pm.

agree

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

But getting rid of the happy hour and in exchange only giving you an extra 1-3 drink coupons doesn't seem a fair swap.

It's certainly not the "poor man's drink package" I initially thought it was, so I agree about that.

I drink maybe 2 drinks per day.  My husband does not drink (allergic).  So we mostly have  slushies, soda, water, or juices,  I love the new procedure and hope they keep it.  Especially having availability to get your drinks all day.  Very nice.  I do not always want a drink between  diamond club hours anyway. So later at a show, or by the pool works for me.

No offense, but I can’t believe anybody would be dissatisfied with the 4 to 6 free $13 drinks per day, depending on your level.  I always have to get the drink package because my spouse does and I really have to push myself to drink at least 5 or 6 drinks a day to feel like my package is worth it, especially by the second half of a 7 day cruise.

On top of that, for anybody in a suite, there’s always free drinks in the suite lounge.

7 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

No offense, but I can’t believe anybody would be dissatisfied with the 4 to 6 free $13 drinks per day

They wouldn't if they weren't already getting 3 free drinks plus a free happy hour (which can easily be 3 drinks)

9 hours ago, Mar915 said:

So does that mean kids under 21 will get 4 non alcoholic drinks added also. I hope so since they added virgin frozen drinks to the diamond menu

Nope. Even pre-covid, they weren't getting free drink vouchers