RC “could be” banned from US waters through July

Yeah, just a rehash of the CDC news... nothing new... the full article also singles out NCL. It also barely touches on the low stock prices of all 3 companies and concern over ability and time frame to recover from all of this...

https://www.businessinsider.com/carnival-royal-caribbean-banned-from-sailing-up-to-3-months-2020-4

10 minutes ago, Chadster said:

Okay, so this is just their take on the CDC's latest guidance. What I don't understand is why Business Insider felt the need to single out RCCL and Carnival in their headline.

Now I'm even more annoyed. ?

I'm with you. Doesn't it apply to all cruise companies?

14 minutes ago, FManke said:

Yes... they address it in the first bullet in the article, but of course the headline is deceptive... surprise, surprise. They picked the big 3 I think because later in the article they touch on the strain on the cruise industry and when these companies will rebound.

"Cruise ships may not be able to sail in US-controlled waters until July, according to an order issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Thursday. "

1 hour ago, Ogilthorpe said:

True, but 3 months sounds worse in a headline ... they always seem to feel the need for maximum sensationalism and go the extra mile (which sounds so much farther than 5280 feet!) ????

Isn't it sad that your comment is so true, especially right now. I watched an interview the other day on CNN and the financial analyst guest was I kid you not asked the same exact question 3 times as the host (conducting the interview) was just reaching so hard for a quote she could use as a headline. The guest got very upset and said well I've already answered that question and kept saying the same thing but eventually she explained just a tiny bit more and sure enough that was the little she used as her take away. I think it's crazy in this instance for them not to say 3 months because that's in reality what it is and also for them not to just say all cruiselines instead of singling out a few big hitters, and lastly the headline should say Cruising potentially suspended for up to 100 day (3 months by CDC) just to emphasize the uncertainty

1 hour ago, JohnK6404 said:

Yes... they address it in the first bullet in the article, but of course the headline is deceptive... surprise, surprise. They picked the big 3 I think because later in the article they touch on the strain on the cruise industry and when these companies will rebound.

"Cruise ships may not be able to sail in US-controlled waters until July, according to an order issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Thursday. "

I kinda wonder if that means with passengers or not.   Ive been watching the marine traffic and notice them all just hanging around adrift then come back into ports like Miami, Tamps, Ft Lauderdale, and Orlando for a day or so.  I assume its to refuel or take on supplies.  This whole thing is terrible for the industry but seeing where and when the ships end up daily is interesting to watch.   I did read that they have to move every so often to run certain systems on the ship so they seem to not sit still long.

2 hours ago, FManke said:

Yes, since the CDC issues orders to the US Coast Guard (Executive enforcement arm) as well, no one is getting in or out of the US on a Cruise Ship for at least 3 months.   That may change in the interim, but as of now ALL of the Cruise Lines are looking at a travel restriction. 

1 hour ago, klc317 said:

I kinda wonder if that means with passengers or not.   Ive been watching the marine traffic and notice them all just hanging around adrift then come back into ports like Miami, Tamps, Ft Lauderdale, and Orlando for a day or so.  I assume its to refuel or take on supplies.  This whole thing is terrible for the industry but seeing where and when the ships end up daily is interesting to watch.   I did read that they have to move every so often to run certain systems on the ship so they seem to not sit still long.

I thought the same, BUT they are NOT physically coming into port.  They are simply pinging at the port and then go "adrift" for a day and then come back in.  Its not likely that they will need to refuel or take supplies for weeks at a time. 

2 hours ago, GlennGlenn said:

I thought the same, BUT they are NOT physically coming into port.  They are simply pinging at the port and then go "adrift" for a day and then come back in.  Its not likely that they will need to refuel or take supplies for weeks at a time. 

I don't know...they are physically there when you look at the webcams....

https://www.portmiamiwebcam.com

5 hours ago, GlennGlenn said:

Oh, they are there. I will snap a pic for you tomorrow am when I grab a coffee on 17th street in Fort Lauderdale. 

10 hours ago, Chadster said:

Okay, so this is just their take on the CDC's latest guidance. What I don't understand is why Business Insider felt the need to single out RCCL and Carnival in their headline.

Now I'm even more annoyed. ?

RCCL and Carnival own a lot of other cruise lines.

17 hours ago, Marlena said:

I think it's for the best anyways. I feel if they go back too fast there is a high change of 1 step forward and 3 steps back. Meaning possibly another break. 

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  As much as people want to go back to their regular lives things are going to be in limbo for a long while and all vacations are going to have to be on the back burner. 

21 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Here’s a thought. Is it possible they ban cruising until a vaccine is available in 2021? If so, can the big 3 weather the $1B/month bloodbath until then? 

Absolutamente correcto!!!

In my opinion it is only until a vaccine or cure is found and is widely available that passengers will be allowed their vacations on cruise boats. It's not widespread testing nor flattened curves that will convince the CDC and the Coast Guard and FEMA that 6,000 people will be able to get into a 1,000' X 250' area without endangering one another.

Does this happen in 100 days? In 2020? In 2021? Ohhh....I don't think it's in the near term.

Co-incidentally the widely available vaccine is also what Wall Street is waiting for. 

37 minutes ago, Cruzinfun said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  As much as people want to go back to their regular lives things are going to be in limbo for a long while and all vacations are going to have to be on the back burner. 

The answer is of course not. They will be long gone before that. 

Will it come down to that, the answer is of course not. Come on people, do you really think that is the answer? I'm not saying that specifically for you but as whole to people that see this thread. You don't need a vaccine for cruises to restart. 

June is possible, July is definite to restart. Delta airlines said the airline Industry hit bottom is going to start to improve from here. Look at the numbers of cases and deaths going forward from a reputable, scientific website. By June 6th in NJ where I live we are at zero deaths. There healthcare system and hospitals are back to normal. The peak and decline is a little later for other places but not that far off. 

Blood testing from the CDC started last week to see who has had it and recovered or never knew it and have antibodies. I volunteer to test. Who the heck knows if I had it and never knew. Let's not loose sight of the light at the end of the tunnel here. Sorry for the long post but this talk of waiting for a vaccine is getting on my nerves. Education is key. 

Another thought. “If” RC went bust and changed names (Royal Caribbean Voyages International) it seems as if

1. any earned status for the former company is gone.

2. FCC or and money in a future cruise will be forfeited.

I really hope this doesn’t happen but truthfully I don’t see how it couldn’t. 

27 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

The answer is of course not. They will be long gone before that. 

Will it come down to that, the answer is of course not. Come on people, do you really think that is the answer? I'm not saying that specifically for you but as whole to people that see this thread. You don't need a vaccine for cruises to restart. 

June is possible, July is definite to restart. Delta airlines said the airline Industry hit bottom is going to start to improve from here. Look at the numbers of cases and deaths going forward from a reputable, scientific website. By June 6th in NJ where I live we are at zero deaths. There healthcare system and hospitals are back to normal. The peak and decline is a little later for other places but not that far off. 

Blood testing from the CDC started last week to see who has had it and recovered or never knew it and have antibodies. I volunteer to test. Who the heck knows if I had it and never knew. Let's not loose sight of the light at the end of the tunnel here. Sorry for the long post but this talk of waiting for a vaccine is getting on my nerves. Education is key. 

Only time will tell. I don’t think the talk of a vaccine being necessary for cruising to resume is that far fetched at all. 

3 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

It's completely unrealistic. We can do many things for this not to be the case. 

Let’s resume this thread in July. Hopefully I will be replying to it from a cruise ship. My money is on me replying from my backyard staring at an empty Port Everglades though. 

I think maybe a restart in Sept, Gives them time to develop and distribute more tests, maybe some kind of health certificate from md. Snake lines will be back at disembarks, at least in the states, A lot depends on the overseas ports also. I talked to a friend from NZ,  he told me cruise lines are a bad word there, need someone to blame,  plus the volcano incident. He said all will be good once they figure out how much money they bring in, but it will take time.

1 hour ago, bobroo said:

In my opinion it is only until a vaccine or cure is found

There has never been a vaccine for any virus in coronavirus family...just treatments & a shot of the previous year strain...which gonna make you sick for a few days, like flu shots normally do. The vaccine cure thing is a gross misnomer, imo. Also they say it will take a year to make, because by next year, you will be getting injected with this year strain. 

37 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

.which gonna make you sick for a few days, like flu shots normally do.

I agree with the rest of your statement but flu shots never made me sick. The same with most people I know. I'm not saying it's not possible and that people don't get sick but just trying to be careful with the info out there.

11 minutes ago, ellcee said:

I agree with the rest of your statement but flu shots never made me sick. The same with most people I know. I'm not saying it's not possible and that people don't get sick but just trying to be careful with the info out there.

Yeah I got the flu shot this year because last year I got the flu so bad, it knocked me on my butt really bad. I swore I'd never go without a flu shot. It was such an easy process and I did not get sick at all. My wife got it and our 6 year old son too. No sickness. I can't say that's why I didn't get a the Flu this year but I ain't taking chances again. It really kicked my butt. 

2 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Another thought. “If” RC went bust and changed names (Royal Caribbean Voyages International) it seems as if

1. any earned status for the former company is gone.

2. FCC or and money in a future cruise will be forfeited.

I really hope this doesn’t happen but truthfully I don’t see how it couldn’t. 

Is this situation covered under travel insurance?

Whew the pessimism persists in here. Wow I'm quite surprised at how strong the pessimism is. I thought there would be some but not this much. I'm extremely confident we will be sailing away on Oasis in Sept. Will be watching land disappear on our way to Port Canaveral. Then the beautiful Coco Cay. 

1 hour ago, ellcee said:

Look, there is always an exception to the rule...obviously, you & some people you know are...most people, whose immune system never had to activate and release enzymes to fight the virus will get sick, when injected with a strain their body never  encountered before. There are some the virus remain either dormant or they have had that strain before, as reason why most don't get sick after getting a flu shot. The flu effect people very differently...some feel like they're on their last leg, others as if its just a minor sniffle that they don't even recognize as the flu , and some variation in between....that's is a known fact. So just because you didn't get sick after receiving a flu shot, does not mean other won't either...that a misnomer in itself. A percentage of people get sick...and they get sick because their body never had that strain before....that's the point of getting a shot in the 1st place...to build immunity against that particular strain. 

11 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Whew the pessimism persists in here. Wow I'm quite surprised at how strong the pessimism is. I thought there would be some but not this much. I'm extremely confident we will be sailing away on Oasis in Sept. Will be watch land disappear on our way to Port Canaveral. Then the beautiful Coco Cay. 

No pessimism here. According to you I will be drinking a Mojito from Boleros in July.