Royal Caribbean Blog

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More cruises. Bucket list destinations come with bigger price tags.  I'd rather experience two special bucket list destinations rather than just one in my lifetime (or every 5 years). Balcon

Right now there are some last minute Alaska deals.  $410 interior or $1,584 in a balcony, per person plus taxes.   For two people the cruise fare (pre-tax) is $820 interior or $3,168 for a balcon

Actually, this is a difficult question for me. Solo, sure, all day long. With my wife, we really enjoy the balcony, we relax and enjoy each other, so it gets a bit more difficult to say 2 insides vs 1

Posted Images

Family of 4 here-- we either need one balcony or two inside rooms to be able to get some space. This year we did connecting interiors and mostly loved it. Except for when one of the kids needed down time and one of us needed to be in the room with them.  -- that was when we missed the balcony.   Trying a Central Park Balcony next year. 

So I guess this is a real choice for us every time - it's just for the same cruise instead of getting an "extra" 😉  

More cruises.

Bucket list destinations come with bigger price tags.  I'd rather experience two special bucket list destinations rather than just one in my lifetime (or every 5 years).

Balconies are great, make no mistake, but once you step into the hall your cabin type is irrelevant.  Once you are off the ship even more so.  To experience a destination you take an excursion or tour.  By saving money on cabin type I can take over the top excursions and really experience a destination.

Suites are really great too.  Cruise once every 5 years in a suite, once every two years in a balcony or twice a year in interior?   

My fondest cruise memories don't generally involve my cabin.  

Two in an interior for sure. I think interior rooms are underrated and that they can offer a lot that people don't think about. I usually book an interior room (sometimes with a window to the Royal Promenade or other area) because of one word: NAPS. I always take a short nap or rest after we board the ship but before dinner, depending on what time we got back to our room. Interior rooms are mostly quiet and because there is no window it's very dark when all of the lights are off, and if you're like me, you need absolute darkness to sleep. Not to mention, interior rooms are less expensive than balcony's or suites, so I'm not only saving money but I'm getting some great sleep. 

Disclaimer: I've only ever cruised with my spouse, so if you're traveling with multiple people, book a larger stateroom. I'm just weird and like total darkness when a sleep, but I will say that the balcony rooms are nice

11 hours ago, DublinFC said:

We tried to book an inside room and changed it a few months later.  So I think we would end up with the 1 balcony cruise.  

When I took my first cruise many years ago, we booked an inside cabin.  Everyone told us that we would be given an upgrade.  Well, that didn't happen.  We boarded the ship, stepped in the cabin, stepped back out, got off the ship, and went back to the check in counter at the dock. Then, we paid to upgrade and got back on the ship and found our new cabin.  That sure wouldn't happen today!

Generally I'll take the balcony; like others here, my wife and I really enjoy the chance to hang out in the room on a sea day and watch the cobalt blue water go by, hear nothing but the sound of the waves, and just take in the peace of it all. The exception is when it's a bucket list trip or a port-intensive sailing that's going to have a big excursion budget involved. Then I'd strongly consider the inside cabin so that I had more money for those excursions, especially if the itinerary was rare / super-popular and priced higher than usual. Even then, it would depend on the ship; Quantum class has so many balconies relative to inside / OV cabins that the price difference would probably be small enough to allow the upgrade.

3 minutes ago, Brando95 said:

2 cruises … can you cheat and do a virtual balcony? 

I'd pay for the upcharge to get the virtual in a heartbeat this way!

Heck if I'm being offered two cruises I would sleep in a room that only fit a bed and space to stand my suitcase up.  I'll find a way to get cleaned up and brush my teeth.

@Katiel53 I wouldn't want to sail in an inside if I had to share. If I cruise solo then I cannot imagine really needing a balcony....unless I was on an Oasis class ship.

I originally said that obviously 2 cruise is better than one but there are a lot of factors to consider. I am a bougie type of girl who has no problem spending money on comforts, but there are just some things even my ego cannot justify. There is absolutely no reason for anything other than an interior on a port heavy/bucket list cruise. The extra money could be spent on experiences. Even more so when you are traveling solo. There are a lot of factors to consider and I think the answer would change with each sailing.

55 minutes ago, Flacruiser99 said:

I wonder how the folks on the Diamond Princess feel about Insides?

Not exactly a fair question, since no one at all books a cabin expecting to be confined to quarters for two straight weeks. Especially when booking a trip like that is typically done at least a year in advance; who would have had any inkling at all a problem like that would be coming down the pike?

I imagine that was as much a bucket list cruise for many of them as doing Alaska or Iceland or the Greek isles would be, and that booking inside cabins is what made it possible for them / allowed them to make it a trip of a lifetime through the excursions they bought.

On 2/17/2020 at 8:45 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Assuming that time off is not a factor, I would take 2 cruises in inside cabins per year. More C&A points.

I call shenanigans. I seem to recall a certain stubborn Canadian Scorpio having issues with being in an OV cabin last year, not to mention being the queen bee of the Suite Snob Contingent here! 😁😉

image.gif.51f7f45bc954b9e673b33728a13fec5e.gif

34 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I call shenanigans. I seem to recall a certain stubborn Canadian Scorpio having issues with being in an OV cabin last year, not to mention being the queen bee of the Suite Snob Contingent here! 😁😉

image.gif.51f7f45bc954b9e673b33728a13fec5e.gif

I was answering hypothetically lol.  You know I would never personally cruise in an inside cabin!  I did it once, never again.