21 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

In that case you probably shouldn't party anywhere. Not trying to be snarky but murder and crime have been a part of humanity since civilizations have been formed. Sometimes by individuals, sometimes by groups, and sometimes by those in authority. This occurs in every country in the world no matter how 'civilized'. That doesn't mean as fellow humans we should not feel empathy and want to help but I also believe we are allowed to enjoy ourselves as well. 

The risk of violence happening at Labadee is no higher than it is in anywhere in the US.

Oh you absolutely are being "Snarky". There is literally nothing else I can say to you and remain on this site.

2 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Can someone explain why some here seem to take offense to me not wanting or being able to have a good time in a place that is today currently suffering so much? 

I feel for others. So what I'm a chump?

Your good time visiting those countries helps those people's suffering due to taxes and jobs provided as a result of the cruise industry.

8 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Not to me. Not on a map. No ocean between them. Haiti and labadee

That's like saying all of Missouri is dangerous because St Louis is dangerous.

8 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

If @HeWhoWaits @Vancity Cruiser or anyone else really thinks you can compare the violence in Haiti with that of America on any given day, then you need to grow up and get out more. 

I am not comparing the violence. You stated that you could not party where people are being murdered in the streets 6 hours away. My point is that violence occurs everywhere ( over 20,000 people are murdered in the US every year)  and while we should feel empathy for the plight of the victims of violence, it should also not stop us from living our lives and enjoying the beauty of nature.

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Your good time visiting those countries helps those people's suffering due to taxes and jobs provided as a result of the cruise industry.

That's like saying all of Missouri is dangerous because St Louis is dangerous.

Tax dollars or not. It's not something I would feel right about doing. I'd donate $25 to the Red Cross or something on there behalf.

As for dangerous areas vs entire states. Can't compare when talking about an entire country that as of today has no real working government. That's like comparing apples and busses.

2 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I am not comparing the violence. You stated that you could not party where people are being murdered in the streets 6 hours away. My point is that violence occurs everywhere ( over 20,000 people are murdered in the US every year)  and while we should feel empathy for the plight of the victims of violence, it should also not stop us from living our lives and enjoying the beauty of nature.

NO. I NEVER SAID 6 HOURS AWAY!

NEVER EVER MISS QUOTE ME!

4 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I'm not stopping living my life. I'm making a personal choice. 

On 3/3/2024 at 6:45 PM, Zentraveler said:

Do you think the news in Haiti will affect any upcoming sailing to Haiti? I have one at end of April. Wondering your thoughts if it port will be changed/cancelled or if it is still safe?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-68462851

The recent news in Haiti will not affect any upcoming sailings.

The port will not be changed/cancelled.

Labadee is as safe as any other port you will visit.

2 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

This is true. There are people suffering everywhere. There are people within miles of where you live. In general, people enjoy life while others suffer. That's no sin. That, as well as empathy, is part of humanity.

So much of this is misconceptions and assumptions. Granted there's active violence going on in Haiti, but the murder rate in Jamaica is 3x what it is in Haiti -- in fact, it's the highest murder rate in the world. But none of us think twice about getting off in Jamaica for a cruise because YA MON JAMAICA IS PARADISE while Haiti is a dirty slum. But in general in all of these places, the violence takes place far from where tourists go. These countries depend on tourism for their economy. They are very careful to keep violence, poverty, etc. hidden from view. 

3 hours ago, jeffmw said:

This is true. There are people suffering everywhere. There are people within miles of where you live. In general, people enjoy life while others suffer. That's no sin. That, as well as empathy, is part of humanity.

So much of this is misconceptions and assumptions. Granted there's active violence going on in Haiti, but the murder rate in Jamaica is 3x what it is in Haiti -- in fact, it's the highest murder rate in the world. But none of us think twice about getting off in Jamaica for a cruise because YA MON JAMAICA IS PARADISE while Haiti is a dirty slum. But in general in all of these places, the violence takes place far from where tourists go. These countries depend on tourism for their economy. They are very careful to keep violence, poverty, etc. hidden from view. 

I don't get off the ship in Jamaica either. Out of safety. And that's a personal choice. I sail for the ship, not the port. So some of us do think twice about getting off in Jamaica. I can direct you to YouTube videos of travel vlogers like Ben and David who no longer get off in Jamaica. "None of us think twice" might have been to broad a statement. 

The fact that someone meaning well like yourself has to point out that enjoying life while others suffer is no sin, is in fact the problem here today in this conversation.

My empathy is not a judgement on what others choose to do. My opinion on getting off the ship in Haiti/Labadee is not a suggestion or recommendation on what other should or shouldn't do. It's my personal feelings and choices. 

It will never not cease to amaze me how saying you don't get off in Labadee for whatever reason, brings out a backlash from other posters. On this and other forums. 

"It's not a sin to ....."

How sad you felt the need to point out both sides after reading. All because some took my personal feelings as a judgement on there actions? Live life. Enjoy life. Go anywhere and everywhere. Nothing said today was anything other than my personal take on how I need to roll, to be ok with myself at the end of the day. 

4 hours ago, jeffmw said:

That's not really true... Many cruisers have a pretty low opinion of going to Jamaican ports. And no I wouldn't say it's well hidden there whatsoever. It's pretty much in your face immediately when leaving the port. 

But there is a significant difference between there and Haiti... Jamaica actually has a functioning govt. Something that basically doesn't exist at this point in Haiti. Appears that most of the state apparatus has collapsed in Haiti, including the police and military. That is not normal... It has a level 4 'Do Not Travel' warning from the US State Dept. That doesn't exist in any other Caribbean port. 

I've been to Labadee... And I understand it's geographical location makes it relatively secure. Definitely wouldn't put much faith in the actual physical security... which amounts to some basic fencing and a handful of hired security. I do feel confident they RCL would cancel the port if there was any real concern. 

5 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

The recent news in Haiti will not affect any upcoming sailings.

The port will not be changed/cancelled.

Labadee is as safe as any other port you will visit.

A lot of over the top assumptions here. This port has been cancelled in the past due to security issues. Nobody knows what will happen going forward. 

3 minutes ago, Eighty8 said:

A lot of over the top assumptions here. This port has been cancelled in the past due to security issues. Nobody knows what will happen going forward. 

The two most recent were once when there was no threat to Labadee, but everyone was over cautious due to it being soon after the restart.

Another was when locals sat in their boats by the dock, very peacefully protesting the government. No threat, but RC wanted to avoid a PR problem had they tried to force docking and any of the locals got hurt.

12 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

How sad you felt the need to point out both sides after reading. All because some took my personal feelings as a judgement on there actions? Live life. Enjoy life. Go anywhere and everywhere. Nothing said today was anything other than my personal take on how I need to roll, to be ok with myself at the end of the day. 

I didn't take it personally -- don't get the wrong idea. I absolutely feel you have a right to make that decision, whether it be for political reasons or simply because you cruise for the ship and not the port. I don't judge you for either one. My comment about it not being a sin was more about the greater state of the world and humanity -- that people suffer everywhere and it's not a sin to enjoy life in spite of that. 

11 hours ago, Eighty8 said:

But there is a significant difference between there and Haiti... Jamaica actually has a functioning govt. Something that basically doesn't exist at this point in Haiti. Appears that most of the state apparatus has collapsed in Haiti, including the police and military. That is not normal... It has a level 4 'Do Not Travel' warning from the US State Dept. That doesn't exist in any other Caribbean port. 

This is fair. I suppose I'd argue that a "functioning government" doesn't necessarily matter when your murder rate is 3x higher than a place where there isn't supposedly such a thing. But I see your point. 

These gangs have to traverse mountains, un-paved roads and forests in order to get from Port Au Prince to Labadee...it would take them a day or more of VERY rough terrain. There is no real reason for them to even bother going that far west on the island when they are already accomplishing what they want without moving far from the capital.  I'm more concerned walking to my car at 4am in Philadelphia every day than I would ever be in the secure, secluded area called Labadee. IF you don't feel safe or right about having fun on the other side of a country having issues, then you do you. But like many said, those few locals that do work in Labadee selling stuff would suffer far more if the ships stopped coming. 

11 minutes ago, ScottD said:

These gangs have to traverse mountains, un-paved roads and forests in order to get from Port Au Prince to Labadee...it would take them a day or more of VERY rough terrain. There is no real reason for them to even bother going that far west on the island when they are already accomplishing what they want without moving far from the capital.  I'm more concerned walking to my car at 4am in Philadelphia every day than I would ever be in the secure, secluded area called Labadee. IF you don't feel safe or right about having fun on the other side of a country having issues, then you do you. But like many said, those few locals that do work in Labadee selling stuff would suffer far more if the ships stopped coming. 

I take issue with this because unless I missed a posting? Nobody advocated for cruise ships to stop going altogether. Some expressed concern, while I personally gave (My) views on what (I) can and cannot live with at the end of the day. 

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We are docked in Labadee.  Not sure they are letting people off yet (I haven't heard an announcement).  No reason to believe it won’t just be another day in Labadee.  Beautiful weather today.  

Did passengers finally get off?  I wish there were webcams for CocoCay and Labadee even if just the docking areas!  Hope you have a beautiful day relaxing!  Does Dan scuba 🤿 in Labadee or just CocoCay?  I’m looking forward to both of those ports in May!

4 minutes ago, PeloAl said:

Wow. Are you ok? 

Actually the scan I was having yesterday morning while having this Haiti debate ended in me being told I have a lump on my left lung. So I guess I'm not totally OK? Still processing.

Still keeping my focus on my May 4th Icon trip. And enjoy (most) of my time here. It fills my mind and time. 

Wow! More than I'm sure you were asking for. LOL. Kinda so full I think I just verbally tossed my cookies folks. Sorry. 

1 hour ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Actually the scan I was having yesterday morning while having this Haiti debate ended in me being told I have a lump on my left lung. So I guess I'm not totally OK? Still processing.

Still keeping my focus on my May 4th Icon trip. And enjoy (most) of my time here. It fills my mind and time. 

Wow! More than I'm sure you were asking for. LOL. Kinda so full I think I just verbally tossed my cookies folks. Sorry. 

Debating on a message board is stress relief, so no harm done.

Take care of yourself.

2 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Did passengers finally get off?  I wish there were webcams for CocoCay and Labadee even if just the docking areas!  Hope you have a beautiful day relaxing!  Does Dan scuba 🤿 in Labadee or just CocoCay?  I’m looking forward to both of those ports in May!

Yes.  Apparently I was still asleep when the Cap made the announcement that disembarkation could commence. 🤣🤣  I never heard a thing.

News flash :  I got off the ship !  First time I’ve set foot on Labadee in years !  We did a little walk- about and caught the golf cart over to Barefoot Beach where we ate some burgers.  Then our driver gave us a nice port tour on our way back to the ship.  It wasn’t beastly hot like it usually is on Labadee so it was a good time for me to concede to Dan’s wish for some island time.

Both Dan and I are certified SCUBA divers (actually, believe it or not, I am certified all the way to Rescue Diver !) but since we are over 65 they won’t let us dive anymore. 😥😥😥. The truth is, diving is waaaytooo much work for me these days so I am grateful that I’m on the no-dive federal registry 😜😂 …but Dan would definitely dive if they would let him….but he mostly just snorkels these days.  He didn’t even get wet today - other than sweating !  😜😜😜

Safely back on the ship.  All aboard is 4:00 (I think).  Next stop - Falmouth.

On 3/6/2024 at 1:51 PM, CanHardlyWait said:

NO. I NEVER SAID 6 HOURS AWAY!

NEVER EVER MISS QUOTE ME!

I concur that you didn't say six hours away. You said "nearby." The reality is that the violence is closer to six hours away than to "nearby" by almost any frame of reference.

And the murders in Miami (my reference) are MUCH closer in both distance and time to get to the port than Port au Prince is to Labadee.

3 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Our differences of opinion on here aside, wishing you all the best medically. 

While many of us on the boards don't agree on many fronts, we're still a community,

1 hour ago, GatorCruiser said:

Haven’t been to Falmouth. It seems like the consensus is that it stinks. What say y’all ?

Falmouth is shitty if you're looking for tropical Jamaica. If you're an adventure traveler, Falmouth is fine. I've strolled around Falmouth a few times, gotten a beer, hung with the locals. But I also have been on vacation to places like Somalia and C.A.R., so I admit I am not the normal cruiser. And I blend in more than many 😉