From Canada…to Canada: Discovering Liberty, Eh? – LB 08/24/23 – 09/02/23

Lovetocruise2002

25 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Ok, I am going to sound like a suite snob here, so apologies and scroll on if anyone doesn’t want to hear my vent. I should not have to pay a ton and sail in a suite, and have to bring my own kettle. That is just simply annoying and it’s the principle of it all. Never mind the fact that I don’t have space in my luggage for a kettle. That is why this whole situation bugs me. 

💯 this! Some of the recent changes to suite perks have become more annoying than anything else.  And when guests are paying a premium the last thing they want is to feel nickel and dimed over lost perks with minimal cost associated with them or in the case of the kettle, “bring your own”.  Make sure you address this on your post cruise survey. 

1 hour ago, teddy said:

It’s always neat to see local pictures taken by people on a port call. 

The 10k I referenced my wife running earlier ended at right there by the Portland Head Light. 

The whole time we were on the trolley heading there, I thought if you! I kept thinking, “I wonder if @teddy lives around here?” 🙂

After visiting the lighthouse, the trolley returned us to Long Wharf on Commercial Street. From there, we walked about 10mins to a place that I have also waited 3 years to try. Back when we had this sailing booked in 2020, I had already scoped out Holy Donut and this place to eat at.

Duckfat is well known in Portland and they have amazing reviews because, like the name says, they use duck fat to make their food. And it truly makes a difference! They are well known for their poutine. Our meal was so good!!! Crispy with great flavour. And @asquared17 and @SweetPea, that ketchup was truffle ketchup!!! Another fantastic eating day in Portland. 

IMG_8612.jpeg

IMG_8613.jpeg

IMG_8614.jpeg

IMG_8615.jpeg

Back on the ship now and Hubby has gone off to do the Flowrider. Not sure what the kids are doing. Hubby left his phone behind so that I could filter through some of the pics on his phone. Here are some more random pics to show what we have been up to today. 

Walking off the ship earlier this morning and headed to the Holy Donut. 
IMG_8588.thumb.jpeg.cedfa315adadc95a5ec086cdae48b664.jpeg

IMG_8592.thumb.jpeg.95c664007c5bfbbb1543e72c0d9b9f1b.jpeg

Stops along the way from the Trolley tour. We booked this tour online through Portland Discovery Land and Sea Tours. 
IMG_8596.thumb.jpeg.32266abfd492a4961c0ebbae2b9001fa.jpeg

IMG_8597.jpeg

IMG_8598.jpeg

IMG_8599.jpeg

IMG_8600.jpeg

IMG_8601.jpeg

IMG_8602.jpeg

IMG_8608.jpeg

When we reached Portland Headlight, they gave us about 30 minutes to get up and stretch and take photos. 
IMG_8607.thumb.jpeg.84e90e51f6e68de1f90697bfd1520c7d.jpeg

After the tour, as I already posted, we headed to Duckfat for lunch. 
IMG_8610.thumb.jpeg.10ea727f60f2154f2ceb43d7f5f5a5ad.jpeg

Another great day in port today! These port intensive tours have a different vibe. We get up earlier than usual for a cruise, walk a lot more, eat a lot less on the ship, but they are fun. We are having some great family moments ❤️ 

IMG_8594.thumb.jpeg.352ea39f8042b32ebd9683335c780cda.jpeg
IMG_8606.thumb.jpeg.6e0bec3d888bfec11178631128fc3dcf.jpeg

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The whole time we were on the trolley heading there, I thought if you! I kept thinking, “I wonder if @teddy lives around here?” 🙂

Awesome pictures.   We’re glad you had a great day (my wife follows on instagram).  

We now live just west of Portland, so close enough. 🙂

Until a couple years ago, I worked in South Portland, right across from where you docked.  I had great lunchtime views of the cruise ships when they were in port. 

When wife moved here from Canada with her parents (she was a little girl), they lived about 2.7 miles/3.4 km from the headlight.  In the 90s, I lived a few blocks from the observatory you posted a picture of.  That part of Portland was rougher back then.  It’s nice to see it all cleaned up. 

We’re looking forward to following along on the rest of your cruise. 

Edit:  BBCode catastrophe trying to edit on my phone. 

With the continuous inconsistency across the Royal Fleet and prices continue to increase, it's becomes more to explore other options.

I did 2 Celebrity cruises recently and honestly thoroughly enjoyed it.  With status match, perks were great and large OBC to use, cruise actually was cheaper.  

Some things i refuse to sacrifice when cruising, but each has to decide what's best for their family when it comes to cruising on ship size and offerings. There is never a perfect cruise out there, but none of us want to feel like nickel and dimed when this could be your only cruise for the entire year.

It doesn't matter whether you cruise once a year or numerous times, you want a rewarding experience without stupid nonsense from cruise lines with inconsistency being told NO but other ship does it which could leave a bad "taste" over the situation.  In the end, cruising is about all of us, friends, family, new friends and the memories we make.

1 minute ago, SMOKEY0202 said:

With the continuous inconsistency across the Royal Fleet and prices continue to increase, it's becomes more to explore other options.

I did 2 Celebrity cruises recently and honestly thoroughly enjoyed it.  With status match, perks were great and large OBC to use, cruise actually was cheaper.  

Some things i refuse to sacrifice when cruising, but each has to decide what's best for their family when it comes to cruising on ship size and offerings. There is never a perfect cruise out there, but none of us want to feel like nickel and dimed when this could be your only cruise for the entire year.

It doesn't matter whether you cruise once a year or numerous times, you want a rewarding experience without stupid nonsense from cruise lines with inconsistency being told NO but other ship does it which could leave a bad "taste" over the situation.  In the end, cruising is about all of us, friends, family, new friends and the memories we make.

We have a Celebrity cruise over Valentine's Weekend 2025. A surprise gift for Hubby.

38 minutes ago, teddy said:

In the 90s, I lived a few blocks from the observatory you posted a picture of.  That part of Portland was rougher back then.  It’s nice to see it all cleaned up. 

Our impression of Portland today was that is was quite clean all around. It had a small town feel, but yet not that small. 

20 minutes ago, Sweety said:

It's about time for another Canada/New England cruise. 2025? Retirement cruise?

Get that credit card out! 😂

4 minutes ago, SMOKEY0202 said:

doesn't matter whether you cruise once a year or numerous times, you want a rewarding experience without stupid nonsense from cruise lines with inconsistency being told NO but other ship does it which could leave a bad "taste" over the situation.  In the end, cruising is about all of us, friends, family, new friends and the memories we make.

So well said. ❤️

@SMOKEY0202 put it so well. I am frugal in so many other areas of my life because I enjoy the larger cabin and suite experience. Whenever I sail in a regular cabin I find myself missing some of the perks. BUT the suite product is disintegrating it seems under Mr. Liberty and it stings when I pay for something and get a minimized version of it for the same monies or more. I sent an email to Carlos Jimenez in charge of the guest experience asking a simple question that I wanted a concrete answer for, that was 15 August. Not even the courtesy of a response, nothing. Even if it was lovely to hear from you thanks for being a frequent cruiser with us but go pound salt. Nothing, not a peep. I save Mr. Bayley emails for the most important things like where is my FCC? I personally don't feel the Royal warmth I once did, it's sad but I understand they are in business to provide a product. 

I just can't help feeling it was better previously. Oh well, here's hoping the money man finds his heart. 

@Lovetocruise2002 Flowrider widow 🤣🤣

Yum! Truffle Ketchup! I was actually thinking of bringing my truffle salt on Oasis. 😀

So many cogent thoughts here on what the suite life should be. I think we have a great team of suite snobs here to develop the perfect product. We just need a way to market it!

I've been eyeing the Haven on Getaway over Thanksgiving. I've been feeling nostalgic for it lately. Don't get me wrong. NCL Haven has its ridiculousness too, and not just in the Haven.  We're Sapphire over there (D+ equiv on Royal). Last time we were there,  you got a free dinner at their Steakhouse with a bottle of wine as one perk. At the time, it covered entrees up to $35/37 (i dont remember).  Well, of all things, the lamb was priced at $37 or $39. We paid the $2.40 upcharge, but cmon. I have to check the new rules, but their latest steakhouse prices are .... ouch! Lamb $43, Surf & Turf $55. It's a la carte, so their dining packages seem a bargain. 

They also do stupid things like pricing a chocolate martini over the $15 drink package limit without a drop of premium alcohol that would warrant the upcharge. We're never charged for one within the Haven, but anywhere else we are. Petty stuff, especially if they're hungry for an extra $2+grat for every day things.  

I agree wholeheartedly that paying for suites, I expect a certain level of service. That's part of .....well the main reason I won't pay with Royal. Hearing and reading about all the cuts but still raised prices, makes me weary to do anything but RUB to a suite.

Also I would love a potato donut. Those fries look amazeballs 😍🤩. I just decided I'm having fries for dinner.

3 hours ago, SweetPea said:

I was actually thinking of bringing my truffle salt on Oasis. 😀

I never knew truffle salt existed. I will have to see if I can buy that in Canada somewhere. That sounds good! 

2 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Those fries look amazeballs 😍🤩

Duck fat 100% made the difference! They were so crispy but yet not dried out. 

1 hour ago, MLH said:

Is that calamari or onion rings?

Haha! Take a guess. 

Another chill night tonight. Because Hubby was on the Flowrider until about 6:30pm, and to be honest, the WJ selections looked way better than MDR tonight, we headed back to WJ for dinner. The theme in both restaurants was “Taste of Mexico”. Kids and Hubby loved building their own fajitas and nachos. 

After dinner, kids took off to collect another rope, Hubby tried to go to the gym after dinner, only to find that the gym here on Liberty closes at 9pm. 😕

Tomorrow when we arrive in Bar Harbor, it will be tendered. For suites, if you don’t have an excursion booked, this is the process:

IMG_8630.thumb.jpeg.c1ba5f87703077d0bb70d0d67b5e78da.jpeg

For non-suites, if you don’t have an excursion booked, this is the process:

IMG_8632.thumb.jpeg.4e5ab15d0411b5eff74ca7f389e74043.jpeg

If you have an excursion booked (like we do tomorrow), then you just follow the instructions on your ticket. 

TRUFFLE SALT 😍🥰😎😍😃

it’s a game changer. we put it on our popcorn when we make it at home!! (sometimes with truffle butter in the winter if we’re feeling super decadent.)

6 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

They are well known for their poutine. Our meal was so good!!! Crispy with great flavour. And @asquared17 and @SweetPea, that ketchup was truffle ketchup!!! Another fantastic eating day in Portland

truffle ketchup!!!

also that poutine looks so good!! my friends opened a restaurant down here and serve poutine and sandwiches based on the experiences they had while in canada 💚💚 small world!  

21 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Re: truffle salt. I honestly bought mine on Amazon so I'm sure you can find it in Canada. 😀 Pro-tip: store in freezer in a Ziploc bag. Enjoy!

I will definitely have to look around online once I get home! 

13 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

TRUFFLE SALT 😍🥰😎😍😃

it’s a game changer. we put it on our popcorn when we make it at home!! (sometimes with truffle butter in the winter if we’re feeling super decadent.)

Oh wow! Why did I never think of that either?! I need to find me some truffle salt and put it into our popcorn. We have a Whirly Pop that I love to use. Truffle salt would add so much to that!

Just a thought on Suite comparisons . . . I’ve done small RC ships in a suite,  star class, and whatever is a CL suite class.  I’ve sailed Celebrity in a suite, and Disney in a suite.  Disney offers by far the least in terms of perks with the largest upcharge (except perhaps on the Wish which I have not sailed).  I have not noticed any change in the quality of the suite experience on RC smaller ships.  Star class is a somewhat reduced experience for a higher price, but I have felt the other suite classes on the big ships are like they were before the pandemic.  Star class is such a premium product that you would think the experience would be kept at the WOW level.  Regardless, Celebrity is a great product for adults focused on dining and relaxing.  It does not compete with Oasis class or Quantum class with kids in my view.

I do, however, think the prices on Coco Cay are absurd.  I have that villa suite booked on the Harmony for fall 2024.  The Beach Club is over $300 per person, the water park was $188 last I looked, and a Beach Club cabana at around 4k.  I paid far less than 4k per person for the cruise and it is star class for 8 nights, making the cabana more per person per day than the cruise!

9 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Kids and Hubby loved building their own fajitas and nachos.

#teamWJ 🤣

I remember back in the day WJ used to put out nachos with all the topping in the biggest pan I've ever seen, easily 3 feet in diameter. (That's like a meter since this thread is at least half-Canadian, lol).

Joking aside, some people just don't like buffets, which is understandable, but the cook-to-order stations and build your own stuff like fajitas is why it has worked so well for us over the years. It's not just me liking to eat a lot and trying different things, it's freshly made and picky wife can obviously avoid ingredients she calls "contaminants".

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Joking aside, some people just don't like buffets, which is understandable, but the cook-to-order stations and build your own stuff like fajitas is why it has worked so well for us over the years.

That’s where we are stuck. 3 of us like buffets, 1 of us don’t. It’s funny because in my younger days, I loved buffets. But now, it’s just not my scene.

On 8/17/2023 at 4:38 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We priced out connecting cabins. In this case, the 2 BD GS was cheaper.

Late to this, but I know exactly how this conversation went with @Lovetocruise2002 and her husband.

"Two connecting cabins is cheaper online, but then I'll just spend more money on jewelry out of spite for not being in a suite, so the suite is actually cheaper"

16 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That’s where we are stuck. 3 of us like buffets, 1 of us don’t. It’s funny because in my younger days, I loved buffets. But now, it’s just not my scene.

Have I mentioned there's an easy solution to this, it's just a little time consuming. 🤣

48 minutes ago, Matt said:

Late to this, but I know exactly how this conversation went with @Lovetocruise2002 and her husband.

"Two connecting cabins is cheaper online, but then I'll just spend more money on jewelry out of spite for not being in a suite, so the suite is actually cheaper"

There’s not a single Effy on this sailing! Lol

Honest though, the suite was cheaper this time. 

39 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Have I mentioned there's an easy solution to this, it's just a little time consuming. 🤣

I know what you are going to say! 😂

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Taken from the tender, leaving the ship and arriving at the dock in Bar Harbor.

It’s quaint and very pretty here. Like something out of a Nicholas Sparks novel 😉

IMG_8636.jpeg

IMG_8637.jpeg

IMG_8638.jpeg

IMG_8639.jpeg

Bar Harbor is the best! And trust me on the lobster pizza at Geddy’s! It sounds weird but its so good!

4 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It’s true that as we go through life and all it throws at us we do change. In my younger days I loved people. But now…😂