Nuclear powered cruise ships being explored

The gas tank on an Oasis-class ship is about 5000 cubic meters. An Olympic-size swimming pool is about 2500 cubic meters. If the reactor takes up about the same space as the engines would, this might open up some possibilities for more bars and restaurants. Hooray!

The LNG tanks on Icon weigh 300 tons each and are 90 feet long. Just think of what you could do with the extra space!

Icon of the Seas Construction Update: LNG Fuel Tank Installation | Royal Caribbean Press Center

The problem I see is the difference in lifespan between the reactor and the rest of the ship. The USS Nimitz is fifty years old.

Plus:

one_does_not_simply.jpg

Edited by Cakemeister
added info about the LNG tanks.

It seems to me that the logistics would dictate fissionable material being used all over. Sounds like a possibly bad idea unless you believe none of it would get in the hands of terrorists.  That could be overly and dangerously optimistic. 

According to the article in addition to exploring nuclear power they are also looking at hydrogen power fuel cells as well. 

I think it will be interesting to watch and see where this goes and actually comes out of all this.   Right now the industry is moving towards LNG and shore power while in port which seem more like a short term solution to cutting emissions but what comes after LNG?  I'm guessing we may have a clearer picture by mid to late 20230s. 

I have no issues cruising on a nuclear power ship, according to the article a small nuclear reactor would have an output of 30MW compared to typical engines today where 4 engines combined have an output of just 10MW.  The technology is being used today on other types of vessels but one thing not discusses is how would they dispose of the reactor once the ship reaches the end of it life. 

32 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

they are also looking at hydrogen power fuel cells as well. 

I wonder where the H2 comes from. I would guess from electrolysis of H2O. That is a pretty energy intensive process. So, what is the savings in total CO2 production unless using nuclear power to make the electricity for the electrolysis plant?

On 8/9/2023 at 10:22 AM, JasonOasis said:

Right now the industry is moving towards LNG and shore power while in port which seem more like a short term solution to cutting emissions but what comes after LNG? 

The technology is being used today on other types of vessels but one thing not discusses is how would they dispose of the reactor once the ship reaches the end of it life. 

A. Back to oars and sails?

B. Gotta be cheaper than the 'from now on' surcharge Duke Energy Florida is charging customers for decommissioning the Crystal River Nuclear Plant that THEIR predecessor company rendered inoperative and too expensive to repair.

I asked on a behind the scenes tour on Allure years ago why there haven't been nuclear powered cruise ships when the (first) world's militaries have been using nuclear power for maritime operations for years, and the engineer or whoever we were speaking to looked at my like I had just asked him to drink molten copper through a curly straw.  I was taken aback by his unprofessional reaction as I didn't then and don't now consider it to be that crazy of a question. 

One possible issue I see is that it could become yet another reason to deny cruise ship's access to key ports.  If the folks in, say, Bar Harbor, for example among other places, didn't like the idea of a big diesel ship emitting large amounts of particulates and passengers into their area, I can't imagine they'd be comforted by the news that there's now a nuclear reactor involved, too. (and I'm not suggesting that Mainers are or aren't fans of nuclear energy - just using the recent political issues with cruise ship calls there as an example).  Copy and paste Norway, Canada, Alaska, etc.  One would think that some of the environmental-types might be enthusiastic about nuclear ships in those areas given their beliefs around climate change, but nuclear energy has had a PR problem that goes back more than a few years, unfortunately. 

Net-net, I'm more comfortable with a nuclear reactor on my ship than I am riding around on top of a big LNG tank - by a country mile.  All of this is riskier than good ole sludgy bunker fuel ever was, but that's none of my business.  

• 3 weeks later...