Icon of the Seas

Going on Icon In February. No idea about the missing specialty restaurants. No idea about the Broadway musical. No idea about the new neighborhoods. I saw a Matt Hochberg YouTube video on Icon only being 80% finished as of his video taping released 4 days ago. I hope a completed Icon still makes its debut on time in January 2024.

You're missing some information that's out there already @MarioSteve.

Broadway musical is going to be Wizard of Oz.  Neighborhoods are Thrill Island, Chill Island, Suite Neighborhood, Surfside, AquaDone, Central Park, Royal Promenade, and The Hideaway.

No reason to think it wouldn't be on time.

The new restaurants are likely being explicitly omitted for marketing suspense, not because there hasn't been decisions about them.

As far as I can tell, only 2 dining venues on the Icon have not been identified yet. One located near the bow on deck 8 as seen here. And another located near the bow starboard side on deck 15 as seen here. What could they be? Anyone's guess... Perhaps 150 Central Park? Perhaps Wonderland? Perhaps Mason Jar? Perhaps entirely new venues? I think they'll be announced sometime over the next month or two, if I had to guess..

Got an email today from Royal Caribbean about the dining on ICON indicating about over 20 places to eat.

The main new info I see is about the Supper Club which will be called the Empire Supper Club and is a new restaurant in Central Park:

- Indulge in an evening of extravagance with an eight-course menu of premium American cuisine, carefully curated with expertly prepared plates from caviar to wagyu.

- Each dish is exquisitely paired with a beverage that will elevate your experience to next-level nouveau. 

- All while a swanky three-piece band accompanies each course with upscale — and unexpected — renditions of modern favorites to transport you to a bygone era of sophistication and glamour.

no price listed but it does have a 3 out of 4 $ indication

Other locations discussed in the email:

- Izumi in the park (the to-go sushi part)

- Aquadome Market: the first in the fleet food hall featuring Feta Mediterranean, Mac's, Toast and Garden, Asian Faves (perhaps named GNGR, wording was weird), and Creme del la Crepe, plus a bar

- Pearl Cafe

- Surfside Eatery

- Surfside Bites

- Celebration Table (a VIP table for 12)

- Main Dining Room

I booked a Sky Class Junior Suite with balcony on deck 17. I’m liking the idea of having a JS within the Suite Neighborhood and the amenities of Sky Class. I was lucky to be able to book the same JS on a b2b as soon as bookings opened. There are only eight on the ship.

I hear that some cabins are within the area of the dome. Looking at some of the rendering images, it seems like these cabins may be included. Just wondering if anyone has insight about this. Thanks in advance.

So... not sure how much to take from this, but saw this on the Reddit forum this morning...  I didn't fix the misspellings...

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As someone who works at Meyer Turku to build this ship, Let me tell you the progress is anything but steady and sadly you won't be seeing this ship in               October. The outside looks fine, yes, but the inside is a total mess right now.  I can't give away too much, but one thing I can is that now, after months of being done, Royal Carrebean and the compamy responsible for tiling the floors found that the floors of the kitchens are 1-2cm too low, so now all the floors on the front section, all the way up to the 18th deck need to be destroyed and tiled all over again, which, believe me, sets the ship far behind it's schedule

1 hour ago, ScottD said:

So... not sure how much to take from this, but saw this on the Reddit forum this morning...  I didn't fix the misspellings...

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As someone who works at Meyer Turku to build this ship, Let me tell you the progress is anything but steady and sadly you won't be seeing this ship in               October. The outside looks fine, yes, but the inside is a total mess right now.  I can't give away too much, but one thing I can is that now, after months of being done, Royal Carrebean and the compamy responsible for tiling the floors found that the floors of the kitchens are 1-2cm too low, so now all the floors on the front section, all the way up to the 18th deck need to be destroyed and tiled all over again, which, believe me, sets the ship far behind it's schedule

No one is expecting to see the ship in October.   Even if Royal does accept delivery in 2023 that doesn't mean she goes into service right away.  

There is extra time built into the schedule given it's a new build for exactly this sort of thing.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2023/06/06/new-icon-of-the-seas-aerial-photos-show-royal-caribbeans-construction-progress

Being the first in a class of ships, Icon of the Seas has more time built into her build schedule to prepare it for service.

45 minutes ago, twangster said:

No one is expecting to see the ship in October.   Even if Royal does accept delivery in 2023 that doesn't mean she goes into service right away.  

There is extra time built into the schedule given it's a new build for exactly this sort of thing.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2023/06/06/new-icon-of-the-seas-aerial-photos-show-royal-caribbeans-construction-progress

Being the first in a class of ships, Icon of the Seas has more time built into her build schedule to prepare it for service.

Yeah I was wondering why he mentioned October.... 

1 hour ago, ScottD said:

Yeah I was wondering why he mentioned October.... 

I think the official handoff is penciled in for October. 

For a worker in the shipyard I am sure this date is being emphasized by the shipyard.  If mgmt lets workers know there is wiggle room then workers may slack off.  

The shipyard owns the ship until handoff.  The shipyard wants their money as they are floating the bulk of the money on their books until handoff. So yeah, the shipyard will hammer employees with the October date.  

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll be very curious to hear how crowded and busy icon feels.  Some of those new features will be in very high demand.  Swim up bar, infinity pool.  Etc.  

I fear it’s going to be so crazy that it’s not enjoyable.  I’d be curious to see the initial reviews from Oasis

1 hour ago, Mikei31 said:

I’ll be very curious to hear how crowded and busy icon feels.  Some of those new features will be in very high demand.  Swim up bar, infinity pool.  Etc.  

I fear it’s going to be so crazy that it’s not enjoyable.  I’d be curious to see the initial reviews from Oasis as a comparison

Search for "Oasis of the Seas review 2010" (the ship was launched late 2009). Didn't see any negative reviews about crowds, excluding indoor spaces on rainy days and the comedy club. Did see people upset that reservations were needed for shows, the lack of teenage programming in general and daytime programming on sea days. Generally, people said Royal should just rename the ship "Wow of the Seas" because it's just mind blowing.

• 3 weeks later...