Air To Sea? Mei?

deep1

Advantages? Disadvantages?  I'm seeing nothing special in their pricing and they don't list my pre noon (a few minutes apart) flight I really want. Usually don't have to fly. I live Palm Beaches within easy reach of Canaveral, Lauderdale and Miami. Even Tampa within a little longer drive reach. Summer I am less than an hour from Cape Liberty and about 3 hours from Baltimore. 

This is for Seattle coming from and going back to Newark, NJ.   Going has good selection. Return has a bunch way too early or very late night getting in morning of a day later. Only mid day is few minutes short of noon and Air 2 sea is not offering. What to do? Does MEI handle just flights?

I usually handle travel to and from on my own outside of Air2Sea.  I do always plan to get there a day early regardless of how I get there (driving or flying) to be on the safe side.  I also either book late flights or next day flights for disembarkation.  I do make a point of using the same travel credit card for both the cruise and air travel because I can get refunded by my card if something goes wrong and I miss the ship.

For Seattle (from the eastern time zone) I used Air2Sea last year. I liked it for the following reasons.

1. I was able to get flight times that worked for us by Air2Sea offering flights on separate airlines without the additional charges that the individual airlines would incur for booking one-way.

2. Thankfully, I did not need this, but they guarantee to get you to your cruise if flight issues arise by getting you on another flight/flights.

3. Booking far enough in advance, I was able to add the cost of flights to my cruise reservation and pay it off over time instead of all at once.

4. While the standard cost for economy flights is more than an economy flight booked directly, the airfare is refundable. (Also, the Air2Sea refundable rates are considerably less than the airlines refundable rates.)

If it was just me I'm super flexible.  Late night to morning flight no problem. Problem is Fiancé has to work that next morning and it would be a scramble landing 6AM and be at her work an hour from the airport at 8:30. The other problem I have is when to seriously "shop" flights? I'm seeing flights say a few weeks to a couple months from now, before our dates for a fraction of what I'm being quoted. Right now, they are showing for two economy round trips near what our cruise cost. 😮

41 minutes ago, SPS said:

For Seattle (from the eastern time zone) I used Air2Sea last year. I liked it for the following reasons.

1. I was able to get flight times that worked for us by Air2Sea offering flights on separate airlines without the additional charges that the individual airlines would incur for booking one-way.

2. Thankfully, I did not need this, but they guarantee to get you to your cruise if flight issues arise by getting you on another flight/flights.

Just regarding these top two, things to be aware:

1. No airline that I know of in the US charges one-way premiums anymore. Roundtrips are basically just two one-ways pieced together. Longhaul and/or international, yes, they still exist...but no airline flying between Michigan and Seattle charges a premium for only booking one-way. 

2. The guarantee, like any guarantee, is never a 100% guarantee. Just something to be aware of. Will they do everything they can to get you there? Sure, probably. But they can't add seats, add flights, or bump other passengers to get you there. And if you are cruising to places that don't have many flights or even an airport, it could be several stops (and days) until you can get to your ship. Just want to clarify because a lot of people will think they will absolutely just get on the ship the next day, but that's not always the case. 

@Zacharius Not being someone that typically books one-ways, I honestly didn't even know that the premium for doing so is pretty much eliminated.

I think the more important thing about the guarantee is for getting your flight changed for oversold flights and cancelled flights due to lack of crew or mechanical issues. Weather issues? No one is probably gonna get you there if it's severe enough.

Flight changes are one of the biggest reasons I always try to book the earliest flight I can at least one day before the cruise. A cancellation of an early flight gives you a better chance of getting there on an afternoon, evening, or even early NEXT morning flight.

3 hours ago, deep1 said:

Does MEI handle just flights?

No, we can only handle flights as part of a cruise or land package. No flights on their own. There are several reasons for this, but one is that they don't pay commission and therefore we would have to charge fees to book the flights (which we aren't allowed to do). It's a liability.

4 hours ago, deep1 said:

This is for Seattle coming from and going back to Newark, NJ.

Have you looked into flights to the other nearby airports? I know it's a pain to use LGA or JFK over EWR, but it might get you the more amenable flight times you are seeking.  Air2Sea won't show you the flight you want because they won't put you on a flight outside of their suggested "safe" time for flights on dembarkation day.

I've never used Air2Sea. I do have travel insurance so I feel like I'm covered in some respect for the issues that Air2Sea would help with, I just have to take it on my own to find alternatives to get me where I need to be and let the insurance reimburse me later.

Ever since my March 2022 fiasco, I always book through Air2Sea now. Before that, I used to just use them for international flights. Now, everything. I only book Delta flights and the cost is generally about $9 (per person, each way) higher than whatever Delta direct is offering. That to us is a reasonable add on cost for the pros of booking with them.

What I like about Air2Sea is not just the coverage in case things go south, but also because I can re-price my flights right up until final payment. I handle my Air2Sea on my own, because like others have said, TAs don't get commission from flights so it's not something I would want to trouble my TA with.

35 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

What I like about Air2Sea is not just the coverage in case things go south, but also because I can re-price my flights right up until final payment.

You can reprice booked flights that aren't paid off yet? This is a part of A2S that I did not know. (especially since my flights are now a little cheaper than when I booked a few weeks ago!)

20 minutes ago, SPS said:

You can reprice booked flights that aren't paid off yet? This is a part of A2S that I did not know. (especially since my flights are now a little cheaper than when I booked a few weeks ago!)

Yes! I've done it so many times already. I just did two this week. But once it's paid off at final payment you're stuck, much like the cruise fare.

49 minutes ago, SPS said:

Air2Sea puts a long term hold on the flights until final payment for the cruise. Only after you pay your final payment (which would then include airfare costs, too) does the airline issue tickets.

43 minutes ago, KevinJ said:

I'm trying to figure out how to contact Air2Sea about and existing reservation, the number I have on my reservations gets to the general Royal reservation line? Is that correct, they would deal with Air2Sea? @Lovetocruise2002 how do you go about getting an airfare repriced?

You re-price much the same way you do a cruise. I call Air2Sea and select "existing reservation" and I tell the agent I want to re-price a reservation I have with them. They take care of the rest. I check my airfares almost daily so when I see a drop, I call them.

This is the number I call to reach Air2Sea directly: 844-278-9745

32 minutes ago, Matt said:

@Lovetocruise2002 When you book with Air2Sea, are you able to select seats? I know you tend to book first class, so just curious how that works.

I’ve always been able to select seats (American). Been able to upgrade as well (bulkhead, exit rows etc) Normally not until tickets are paid for however I’ve had certain legs open for seat selection without being ticketed. 

37 minutes ago, Matt said:

@Lovetocruise2002 When you book with Air2Sea, are you able to select seats? I know you tend to book first class, so just curious how that works.

I know you can pick seats, with some limitations. But that flight to Panama City will be rough, so hopefully A2S allows to pick first class AND still pay for the ticket later.

With my current Air2Sea to Barcelona for our Transatlantic we have a direct flight from BOS to BCN and then a Delta flight from FLL to BOS. We have been able to select seats for the Delta flight but not the Iberia flight from Boston. When I booked it said "2 bags" which I'm hoping means that two bags are included. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

While I would love to, we don't always book First Class. Even currently, with 4 flights booked with Air2Sea from July 2023 through to Icon inaugural, some are Main cabin and some FC, I can select seats for all of them as soon as I get off the phone with Air2Sea. This is all with Delta.

Last summer, when I booked Air Canada with Air2Sea for Norway (which I later cancelled and flew with Delta instead), it was more of a pain. I had to call AC and ask them. I wasn't able to select it myself on the app like how I can with Delta.

7 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

While I would love to, we don't always book First Class. Even currently, with 4 flights booked with Air2Sea from July 2023 through to Icon inaugural, some are Main cabin and some FC, I can select seats for all of them as soon as I get off the phone with Air2Sea. This is all with Delta.

Last summer, when I booked Air Canada with Air2Sea for Norway (which I later cancelled and flew with Delta instead), it was more of a pain. I had to call AC and ask them. I wasn't able to select it myself on the app like how I can with Delta.

When you reprice a flight using Air2Sea, do you have to rebook your seats?

We are trying it for for the first time for December cruise and are booked on WestJet.  We have to call them to book seats, which we haven't done so yet in case it goes down and it's a cancellation and rebook (although flight cost has only gone up so don't think it's going any lower)

11 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

When you reprice a flight using Air2Sea, do you have to rebook your seats?

We are trying it for for the first time for December cruise and are booked on WestJet.  We have to call them to book seats, which we haven't done so yet in case it goes down and it's a cancellation and rebook (although flight cost has only gone up so don't think it's going any lower)

Yes, when you re-price with Air2Sea, it’s technically a “cancel and re-book”. You have to re-select your seats (or they can do it for you when they re-book), and you get a new airline confirmation each time. 

We are on the same December cruise right? Odyssey? NYE…

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Yes, when you re-price with Air2Sea, it’s technically a “cancel and re-book”. You have to re-select your seats (or they can do it for you when they re-book), and you get a new airline confirmation each time. 

We are on the same December cruise right? Odyssey? NYE…

Thanks.  That's what I thought but wanted to make sure.  That's so good you are able to book seats with Delta (I assume you mean online).  With WestJet, the site doesn't recognize the record locator/reference code. so we need to find time to call

Yes, this is for Odyssey NYE.  Same one. 🙂

7 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

(I assume you mean online).  With WestJet, the site doesn't recognize the record locator/reference code

Online or the app. I usually use the Delta app.

There are always 2 record locators on the Air2Sea confirmation. One is the airline one (it's marked in brackets), one is something else. Are you using the right one?

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Online or the app. I usually use the Delta app.

There are always 2 record locators on the Air2Sea confirmation. One is the airline one (it's marked in brackets), one is something else. Are you using the right one?

Thanks.  I'll check with DH but I believe he tried both.  

Just to give an idea of why I love Air2Sea...

My upcoming sailing on Wonder (July 2023), I booked through Air2Sea right when air was released (end of August 2022). As of last night, I have priced this RT flight down 4 times since August, for a total savings of $280pp (round trip). Because it's Hubby and I on this one, that's over $500 saved on air. I would not have been able to do that without Air2Sea being refundable until final payment.

Now, the disclaimer is that not every booking with Air2Sea drops like this over time. My March Break airfares and NYE airfares only ever rise, never drops. But the point is that when the opportunity is there, you can take advantage of it with Air2Sea. I can't do that with Delta direct, unless I book refundable but that is more than the $9 or so extra that Air2Sea charges.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 8:47 AM, smokeybandit said:

I know you can pick seats, with some limitations. But that flight to Panama City will be rough, so hopefully A2S allows to pick first class AND still pay for the ticket later.

I got first class from air 2 sea and was able to pick my seat.  granted this was only from DENVER to LAX 🙂

Re: flight times and Air2sea not booking the earlier flights.  I believe they do this to save the issue of possibly having to rebook a lot of passengers if the ship is delayed.   So they give a cushion.  I use their earliest flight as my guideline if booking elsewhere.

seems to me you have some decisions to make.
1- ignore Air2sea timeline for flights and be prepared to fix things on your own and pay for it and still potentially get home later than you’d like

2- book using Air2sea guidelines -pay the price and someone may have to be tired at work

check out how many seats are left in the plane-that May help you to figure out if prices will only confine to go up.  

I recall we flew in 2 days early for cruises out of Alaska and Puerto Rico because pricing worked out the same for the cost of the hotels for my family of 5 with the cheaper airfare than it was going to cost for the flights for day of or day before.  It gave us more vacation at the same cost.  Hopefully you’ll find something that works for you 

Air2Sea pricing for our flights to/from Italy this coming October couldn't be beat when we booked.  $1412 total for the two of us... Boston to Venice via Lisbon on TAP Air and Rome to Boston via Munich on Lufthansa.  We are getting to Venice a few days early and had to call to get the flights booked that way.  The only way we could do it online was if we were flying in the day of the cruise.

One thing to mention, the flights had to be paid in full to choose our seats.  We went ahead and did this so we could have seats where we wanted.

We paid for the Royal shuttle from the port at Civitavecchia to FCO (Rome airport) which came to $144 for the two of us.  We chose this because we are taking all of our extra days in Venice and Ravenna before the cruise, so we need to fly back home the day the cruise ends.

There have been some changes since we booked.....layover times, departure/arrival times, and one aircraft change.  Each time, Air2Sea contacted us before the airlines did.  On the aircraft change, we were given seats equivalent to what we had chosen in the new aircraft.

On 4/7/2023 at 11:28 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

What I like about Air2Sea is not just the coverage in case things go south, but also because I can re-price my flights right up until final payment.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention. I've been eyeing the prices for my flights and just saved some $$$ today with a reprice!