Which Class Ship to Choose

Ticca

This is only our 2nd cruise and friends 1st RCCI cruise.  Our first was on SY.  Any advice for how small would be too small to go down to a different class of ship?

We are not taking the kids this time, adults only...😁  So, no need for all of the thrills, but we like to keep busy with activities.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Ticca changed the title to Which Class Ship to Choose
19 minutes ago, Ticca said:

This is only our 2nd cruise and friends 1st RCCI cruise.  Our first was on SY.  Any advice for how small would be too small to go down to a different class of ship?

We are not taking the kids this time, adults only...😁  So, no need for all of the thrills, but we like to keep busy with activities.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There's plenty to do on Voyager class. You'll still get the promenade and the ice show and a flow rider but because they're older and don't have so many bells and whistles they're often a lot cheaper than the bigger girls.

We sailed on Explorer for our second cruise, way back when she was new and the biggest cruise ship out there. She seemed enormous to us then!

Have fun choosing! 😊

Depending on itineraries and cruise length, I believe you would be fine with any of the Voyager class or Freedom class ships. I personally like the Radiance Class best. The Voyagers and Freedoms have lots to do, can go into more ports and generally are significantly less expensive. 

I think a Freedom or Voyager class would be a great choice. 

The smaller ships are still great, and usually offer more interesting itineraries.  The bigger ships are destinations by themselves,  but have limited itineraries. 

You can't go wrong on any of Royal ship, but Freedom and Voyager class are in the sweet spot between them.

On the best itinerary,  I'd choose a departure port that's a reasonable drive from your house. If that's not practical,  then choose a 7 night that goes to Coco Cay.

There are so many opinions and all are personal and none are incorrect.  We've been on every class from Radiance up.  This is my personal take on the classes

• Radiance - My least favorite.  I would go on again if the itinerary was too good to turn down.  I just found it too small and I missed not having the Promenade and other entertainment options.
  • Voyager - You can't really go wrong here, especially with an all adult group.  You get the ice rink, flow rider, promenade and plenty of places to socialize.  Many of them have been amped with added amenities.
  • Freedom - A bigger version of Voyager.  The layouts are very similar, they are larger and will have more people, but it shouldn't feel overcrowded.  As with Voyager, you can't go wrong.
  • Quantum - My opinion is blurred because I've only been on once and that was the first full sail of Quantum back in '14.  RC was going for the restaurant concept, more technology, very different layout and they had many kinks to work out which they have since then.  I'll be on Odyssey early next year, I'm assuming my opinion will likely be different after that sail.  But it is a very different ship from the others with the Seaplex, Northstar, Music Hall and no main dining room.  I only wish it had an ice rink, I love the ice shows.
  • Oasis - It speaks for itself, it's a resort on the sea.  There will be lots of families if that's a consideration since you'll be adults only.  You can never be bored.  I love the additional specialty dining options and I never miss the water shows.  You'll get your exercise just traversing the ship.  But I'm entering the cranky old man phase of life and would prefer to stay away from over stimulated children.  

Based on what you stated in your first post, I would suggest Voyager and Freedom classes, from there, pick the itinerary that looks the most interesting.  You'll have a great time no matter which one you choose.

As others have said, Freedom/Voyager class ships are great. Particularly for adult/couples. The (whatever they call the) Viking lounge is one of my favorite spots on the ship in the afternoons (honestly of any RC ship I have been on) and I have found them to be generally available and somewhat chill.

We are booked on Mariner this August and Adventure August 24. Given the way fares are increasing I imagine that will be it for us until things settle out some.

I do want to take our adult kids on an Oasis class ship. They have only been on Voyager/Freedom ships.

If the “activities” you’re interested include trivia, game shows, etc, any class can offer you multiple choices every day. I  like smaller for vacations where I really need to relax. We LOVE trivia and similar activities, watching Karaoke, event Bingo.  Look through the Cruise Planners for the smaller ships and I dare you to show me a day where you’d be bored, I double dog dare you! (Kidding, but seriously there’s always stuff to do. 

You can't wrong with any RCCL ship keeping in mind some are newer and somer are sized differently.  My fav is Radiance class of ships followed by the Voyager class of ship followed by the Freedom class of ship. Watch YouTubes about any ship you are interested in, Matt provides many ship walk throughs on this blog.  You can also check out the ports of call and excursions to pare with a ship you'll like.  Have Fun and enjoy!!

Bill

You will have plenty to do on Voyager and Freedom Classes for sure. Wife and I went on Navigator after Allure a few times and we were not disappointed in the least. The only surprise to us was how narrow the promenade felt in comparison to the bigger ships. Really makes a difference. But in the end didn’t really matter much. Navigator is actually one of our favorite ships now I regards to layout and styling on the pool deck. 

Lots of great advice here.  What little I can add is that we did an adults-only trip on a Voyager class ship (Explorer) with some friends last summer and it was very well suited for that sort of vacation.  Really balanced having a small enough ship to feel very manageable by our new-to-cruising friends, but large enough that the venues and entertainment were enjoyable and worth our while.  I will say there are a few areas where Explorer shows its age a bit stylistically with certain now-outdated décor selections (it is ~20 years old), but in our experience the aging ship was generally well maintained. 

The only issue I'd have, and amu currently experiencing, is that for Alaska they don't seem to offer oasis Class ships. The reason for my interest in that class is the central park balcony room would be preferable to and outside balcony in that instance since I'm not into the cold weather nor looking at snow my whole trip but I like the option of having airflow into the room.  So far none of the other cabins on other class ships have windows that open.   If it wasn't for the fact that I need at least a window looking out and for daylight I'd just go with a basic inside cabin. it's just too claustrophobic. 

24 minutes ago, RCVirgin22 said:

The only issue I'd have, and amu currently experiencing, is that for Alaska they don't seem to offer oasis Class ships. 

You are correct... Oasis class ships are not deployed to Alaska for many reasons (primarily much too large and generally designed for warmer-weather climates).

Quantum class ships (Quantum and Ovation of the Seas) are currently the largest ships that Royal deploys to Alaska and are designed for cooler-weather itineraries (they have an enclosed solarium and indoor pool).

I also choose an itinerary first, and if it's Explorer or bigger, they are all magnificent.  The only exception, is Odyssey or Quantum Class.  Nothing wrong with the ships, as they are all marvelous, but since they have an abbreviated  Promenade, I will purpose try to avoid those ships, as the promenade is my favorite part of the ship. I understand full well others have different favorites.😃

I'm curious how you know which ship belongs to which class though? Unlike NCL where if you click on ships it tells you most all relevant data such as tonnage, guest capacity, year built and year renovated. As well as destinations. Yet when I click on ships at RCL I cannot find any of that, namely class/year built. All I do know is that Oasis are the latest five ships which feature the openings in the center for boardwalk and central park along with cabins overlooking. And only because they feature a button for that class while the others not so much that I've found. I would like to experience the Oasis class one day but at present none of them are assigned to the destinations I'm currently looking at, specifically Alaska and Mexico, and I'm not sure what to make of Ovation and Quantum which sail out of Seattle. Or Navigator that sails out of LA. 

People say you can't go wrong with any RCL ship, and maybe that's so from RCL loyalist pov, I just would like to read more about the ship to know how old and when renovated if really old. I sailed on NCL Getaway and while it had been refurbished it felt old, not that it's that old as some were built much earlier. It simply felt quaint.

On 2/22/2023 at 12:52 PM, JohnK6404 said:

You are correct... Oasis class ships are not deployed to Alaska for many reasons (primarily much too large and generally designed for warmer-weather climates).

Quantum class ships (Quantum and Ovation of the Seas) are currently the largest ships that Royal deploys to Alaska and are designed for cooler-weather itineraries (they have an enclosed solarium and indoor pool).

When Freedom was first buil6, Royal released a video about how it was built. They still occasionally show it on your stateroom TV.

One of the engineers on the show mentioned that the propellers and hull are thinner as Freedom is a warm weather ship and won't have to deal with ice. Thinner means less noise, cost and fuel use. 

Oasis and Icon classes are also warm weather ships, so they probably have the same issues. 

So I had a co-worker go on an Oasis class and he felt there was not enough common outdoor spaces.

I went on a Voyager (Adventure) and there was an ABUNDANCE of outside space and decks, plenty of chairs, room to roam.

Well priced too.

I think the one downside is there is not a lot of variety of included dining, but honestly the expansive outdoor space and lack of crowds were great. I think for adults its a good fit.  My only other cruise was on Celebrity in 2006.

15 hours ago, RCVirgin22 said:

I'm curious how you know which ship belongs to which class though? Unlike NCL where if you click on ships it tells you most all relevant data such as tonnage, guest capacity, year built and year renovated. As well as destinations. Yet when I click on ships at RCL I cannot find any of that, namely class/year built. All I do know is that Oasis are the latest five ships which feature the openings in the center for boardwalk and central park along with cabins overlooking. And only because they feature a button for that class while the others not so much that I've found. I would like to experience the Oasis class one day but at present none of them are assigned to the destinations I'm currently looking at, specifically Alaska and Mexico, and I'm not sure what to make of Ovation and Quantum which sail out of Seattle. Or Navigator that sails out of LA. 

People say you can't go wrong with any RCL ship, and maybe that's so from RCL loyalist pov, I just would like to read more about the ship to know how old and when renovated if really old. I sailed on NCL Getaway and while it had been refurbished it felt old, not that it's that old as some were built much earlier. It simply felt quaint.

I use the Wikipedia page a lot for referencing ships and classes: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Caribbean_International

I wish they’d re-order the classes by size a bit, but still find it useful, and hope you find it useful as well. 

I will soon be sailing on RCCL during 5 decades and started on Song of Norway, sailing all the way through Oasis Class ships.  All the ships have something to offer depending on your interests.  Last year we were on two Voyager Class ships Explorer and Adventure, both great ships.  This year we will be on Odyssey and the Grandeur which is truly a dichotomy of ships.  The Grandeur is now one of the oldest and smallest ships in the fleet and is a Vision Class ship.  We thought it would be fun to give the old lady a visit plus we liked the ports of call.  Also the older ships can provide cheaper fares if you don't care about water parks, ice skating and bumper cars.  We enjoy the sun and ocean so Grandeur will be just fine.  Ending thought, every ship has something to offer.  Investigating, reading and ask questions about ships, ports and actives will enable you to pick the right ship for your cruise.

Bill