Labadee rumors

29 minutes ago, Shay said:

I'm cruising in February and I haven't seen any updates about Labadee, which we're scheduled to visit. I was there about 10 years ago and loved it. I was looking forward to seeing all the updates to royals private island.

I hope we don't get rerouted to Nassau.

I’m with you on that.  Wasn’t impressed with Nassau.  Send us to Coco Cay!

3 hours ago, Shay said:

I'm cruising in February and I haven't seen any updates about Labadee, which we're scheduled to visit. I was there about 10 years ago and loved it. I was looking forward to seeing all the updates to royals private island.

That is exactly what happened to me. Sailing on 12/23. but there are others that have been routed elsewhere. Good luck.

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Nassau will be much better next summer once the new port area is done and the rest of town is reopened.

I mentioned this on another thread, but the issue is that some stops are easier to replace than others and Labadee isn't in a spot that can be easily re-routed. If you're in the Eastern Caribbean, there are a ton of islands all nearby each other. Same with Western ports in Mexico/Roatan area. So if a stop gets cancelled there are multiple options nearby. Labadee is on the way to (or back from) a lot of places, but it's not really nearby anything else except for the rest of Haiti, Cuba, and the DR. It's not too far from Jamaica but that would send a lot of cruises in the opposite direction. Nassau is one of the only ports that makes sense, unfortunately.

7 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Nassau will be much better next summer once the new port area is done and the rest of town is reopened.

I hope so. I'm cruising on Freedom in August and we're stopping in Nassau. I was underwhelmed when I visited Nassua earlier this month.

On 12/11/2021 at 12:35 PM, Shay said:

What cruise are you doing in Feb? I am on Symphony Feb 5th and still haven't heard anything about Labadee. I don't want to go to Nassau either, went there on the Mariner in 2019 and I could do without, I would much rather go to Labadee since I have never been. Interested to see what happens, we already have a coco cay stop so I would think they won't add a second stop there.

13 hours ago, b0o5h said:

What cruise are you doing in Feb? I am on Symphony Feb 5th and still haven't heard anything about Labadee. I don't want to go to Nassau either, went there on the Mariner in 2019 and I could do without, I would much rather go to Labadee since I have never been. Interested to see what happens, we already have a coco cay stop so I would think they won't add a second stop there.

If they add Nassau or a "double-dip" at Coco, it would have to be on Feb. 6, not the 7th (which is when you're supposed to be at Labadee.) Sorry, I'm a nerd about this stuff, but Nassau is 750 nautical miles to San Juan, where you need to be on the 8th. You wouldn't nearly be able to get there in one night. If they add one of those two, they'd have to make it the day after you leave and then move the day at sea on the 7th on the way to San Juan. Once you pass the Bahamas, there really aren't any other options on the way to PR other than Labadee, so I'd say you're either going to add Nassau or have a second day at sea. 

1 hour ago, jeffmw said:

Once you pass the Bahamas, there really aren't any other options on the way to PR other than Labadee, so I'd say you're either going to add Nassau or have a second day at sea. 

La Romana & Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic

8 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

True but very, very few RC ships go to Puerto Plata, and there aren't any currently scheduled to stop at La Romana over the next several months. 

Puerto Plata is a new stop that ships were scheduled to begin to call upon in the fall of 2021.  That was announced before the shutdown.  My first visit was supposed be in January 2022 but then Royal chartered that ship.  Other ships were supposed to go there in December.  My visit was not the very first Royal ship to make a call there but it was the first or second visit for that ship, at the time.  

6 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

True but very, very few RC ships go to Puerto Plata, and there aren't any currently scheduled to stop at La Romana over the next several months. 

Do you think that has anything to do with ships being scheduled at Labadee? With all the upcoming cruises having to alter away from there, that could change.

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Puerto Plata is a new stop that ships were scheduled to begin to call upon in the fall of 2021.  That was announced before the shutdown.  My first visit was supposed be in January 2022 but then Royal chartered that ship.  Other ships were supposed to go there in December.  My visit was not the very first Royal ship to make a call there but it was the first or second visit for that ship, at the time.  

As of now, it looks like there are only a two RC ships per month scheduled to stop there in January, February, and March, and all but one is an Oasis class ship. 

7 minutes ago, JT2 said:

Do you think that has anything to do with ships being scheduled at Labadee? With all the upcoming cruises having to alter away from there, that could change.

For sure, but until they actually start replacing Labadee with DR there's no precedent for it (I don't think?) Also, honestly, there is way more at play here than we know about as far as docking fees, COVID restrictions, and other logistics, so who knows?

On 12/14/2021 at 6:02 PM, b0o5h said:

I’m on the February 5th Symphony cruise also. They are still booking excursions in Labadee, not that it means anything.

Yes, we need to know what our itinerary will be on the Harmony Jan 23rd so we can book any excursions.  We pretty much KNOW Labadee is s 'no go' which will probably cause the entire itinerary to shift in some way or change altogether.  RCI surely must realize they are losing money by people not being able to book things like excursions.  How can we plan? Waiting until last few days before embarking doesn't work IOI. Just sayin'..